Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2024 Turf and Beyond

4 hours ago, Gipper said:

Although it pains me to say, but Lowell is adding turf.

Just won’t seem the same. Some great memories of big November games at the Inferno … with the field like concrete, my feet killing me the next morning.

18 hours ago, btownqbcoach1 said:

Nice. Another one I was surprised didn't have it. 

You a Lowell guy? 

Partly.  I graduated from South Newton, but now live in Lowell--my daughter goes to LHS.  Great school, decent class size, great athletic tradition, awesome academics.  Townsfolk are great, too.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

Sheridan School Board accepted a bid to install turf at Sheridan High School.  Field will be equipped with soccer lines as well.

Per the AD, installation should be finished on August 1st.

Going Black field or Red Field (Like Edgewood)?

15 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

Going Black field or Red Field (Like Edgewood)?

For my broadcasting sake, I pray neither.  LOL!  Endzones will look really nice though, I imagine.  I haven't seen any drawings.  Personally, I hope it's a big S at the 50, with one red endzone and one black endzone.

2 minutes ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

For my broadcasting sake, I pray neither.  LOL!  Endzones will look really nice though, I imagine.  I haven't seen any drawings.  Personally, I hope it's a big S at the 50, with one red endzone and one black endzone.

LOL.  Would be brutal to play on if Black in August!  and probably tough with black jerseys.  I imagine it will be really nice when complete.  Hope yours doesn't have any delays like ours did a few years ago... Though I wouldn't mind playing week 1 at home! LOL.  

39 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

LOL.  Would be brutal to play on if Black in August!  and probably tough with black jerseys.  I imagine it will be really nice when complete.  Hope yours doesn't have any delays like ours did a few years ago... Though I wouldn't mind playing week 1 at home! LOL.  

Let's hope not!  Would be pretty cool to have Week 1 at home on new turf, with our newly finished fieldhouse and spirit store, new concession, etc.

1 hour ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

Sheridan School Board accepted a bid to install turf at Sheridan High School.  Field will be equipped with soccer lines as well.

Awesome, thanks man! I thought Sheridan would get turf soon, excellent program! 

1 hour ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

For how much was the winning bid?

11 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

For how much was the winning bid?

I believe the approved bid was $1.2M.  The important thing to know when discussing Sheridan is that this will also solve an issue that has been going on for at least the past 20+ years, the soccer field not being on campus.  By adding turf, not only are drainage and upkeep issues that currently exist on the football field resolved, but now the soccer games will be played on campus, which is a win for security purposes.  Also, now the band will be able to practice somewhere that isn't the asphalt parking lot.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

I believe the approved bid was $1.2M.  The important thing to know when discussing Sheridan is that this will also solve an issue that has been going on for at least the past 20+ years, the soccer field not being on campus.  By adding turf, not only are drainage and upkeep issues that currently exist on the football field resolved, but now the soccer games will be played on campus, which is a win for security purposes.  Also, now the band will be able to practice somewhere that isn't the asphalt parking lot.  

As will baseball and softball when it is wet on those fields and perhaps the youth football as well.  We utilize ours for a variety of things not just football or soccer.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daniel_Bragg said:

Thank you.  Good luck.

• 1 month later...
42 minutes ago, BlackSwarm6407 said:

South Putnam's Wildman Field will be getting Turf starting in April and ready by end of July for the start of the 2024 season. It was approved by the board this past week.NewTurf2024.thumb.jpg.079c433fd59672597caa646fe0c25b9e.jpg

I'm assuming the process must have started a long time ago... that is a quick turnaround.  Best of luck!

17 hours ago, BlackSwarm6407 said:

South Putnam's Wildman Field will be getting Turf starting in April and ready by end of July for the start of the 2024 season. It was approved by the board this past week.NewTurf2024.thumb.jpg.079c433fd59672597caa646fe0c25b9e.jpg

For how much was the winning construction bid?

21 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I'm assuming the process must have started a long time ago... that is a quick turnaround.  Best of luck!

Sheridan's construction I don't believe begins until after track season, and their turf is slated to be installed by August 1.  It's pretty crazy how quickly these things get done nowadays.

1 hour ago, BlackSwarm6407 said:

Around 2 mil but that includes field, new track surface and lights. (baseball, softball & football)

Wow.  That's a pretty taxpayer penny.  Thank you.

• Disdain 1

As referenced earlier, as I know how important it is, Lowell is also putting down turf.  Actually, new bleachers and everything.  There is nothing back there now, well, other than trucks (how Lowell is that?) and the high school will not be holding graduation on the field later thing Spring because there is no field.  I guess it's a good thing, why risk the Valedictorian tearing his (or her) ACL? 

4 hours ago, Gipper said:

As referenced earlier, as I know how important it is, Lowell is also putting down turf.  Actually, new bleachers and everything.  There is nothing back there now, well, other than trucks (how Lowell is that?) and the high school will not be holding graduation on the field later thing Spring because there is no field.  I guess it's a good thing, why risk the Valedictorian tearing his (or her) ACL? 

An awful lot of great memories on that field — which was always rock hard by November.

• Like 1