Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Long time rivals

I was watch the cg vs greenwood basketball game and they mentioned that was like the  192 meeting between the the two schools.  I know that is basketball and it is have played a lot longer, but it got to wondering what is some of the longest rivalries still playing today in football.  I know BD and WC have going on for a long time, just not sure how long

I don't know about long-term and they've only played since 2006, but LCC has and will have a natural rivalry with Guerin since they are the only two Catholic high schools in the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana.  LCC is the smaller, older brother and Guerin is the bigger, younger brother ... and you know how siblings can be.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 1:03 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

I was watch the cg vs greenwood basketball game and they mentioned that was like the  192 meeting between the the two schools.  I know that is basketball and it is have played a lot longer, but it got to wondering what is some of the longest rivalries still playing today in football.  I know BD and WC have going on for a long time, just not sure how long

well in Linton's case...  the Miners have faced with Sullivan (15 miles to our west) 108 times as of 2023.  As it was then...it is the biggest rivalry in every sport played.  And we've played North Knox...and Bicknell before consolidated, a long long time as well.  I see the 1st meeting was 1906, but there were some non playing years in those early days. 

23 hours ago, foxbat said:

I don't know about long-term and they've only played since 2006, but LCC has and will have a natural rivalry with Guerin since they are the only two Catholic high schools in the Diocese of Lafayette-in-Indiana.  LCC is the smaller, older brother and Guerin is the bigger, younger brother ... and you know how siblings can be.

Interesting!  I thought there would be more.

Just now, Gipper said:

Then again, I seriously doubt St. Joseph's in Kentland will re-open their doors as they couldn't even make an elementary school go in the 1980s and 90s.

24 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Then again, I seriously doubt St. Joseph's in Kentland will re-open their doors as they couldn't even make an elementary school go in the 1980s and 90s.

Especially given the breadth of the diocese ... stretching from Illinois to Ohio.  

map2.jpg.0b5a76640c531e4b6805f35011cb8803.jpg

And Guerin's just approaching its 20-year anniversary.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Cappy said:

Almanac sports shows 118 times if my math is correct... image.png.8230e5ed34dde973c51ccf4961df307d.png

That seems about right. They started playing a few years before we came into existence, and have played twice in the same year more than a few times. 

On 12/3/2023 at 4:00 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I'll need to see what I can find, but I'm pretty sure Warsaw and Plymouth have played over 100 years or something like that. I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure Plymouth is the school that Warsaw has played against the most.

According to this site (which only goes through the 2015 game), the Tigers and Rockies have played every year since 1924, with the exception of 1930 where there was no game. I added the results from the last 8 seasons to the total shared on the website linked.

http://ifca.zebras.net/ifca/candler/foot-history/warsaw vs plymouth.htm

Plymouth leads the all-time series 52-50-2

They played twice a season in each of the five seasons between 1941-1945, which is why they have 104 total games but only 99 years included in the rivalry.

Pretty amazing that over that long of time with that many matchups, the rilvary is basically even.

23 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

According to this site (which only goes through the 2015 game), the Tigers and Rockies have played every year since 1924, with the exception of 1930 where there was no game. I added the results from the last 8 seasons to the total shared on the website linked.

http://ifca.zebras.net/ifca/candler/foot-history/warsaw vs plymouth.htm

Plymouth leads the all-time series 52-50-2

They played twice a season in each of the five seasons between 1941-1945, which is why they have 104 total games but only 99 years included in the rivalry.

Pretty amazing that over that long of time with that many matchups, the rilvary is basically even.

https://www.almanacsports.com/football/series.php?team1=PLYM&team2=WRSW

On 12/2/2023 at 1:03 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

Ben Davis/Warren dates to 1937, and there have been 99 meetings, including the playoffs, in that time. Warren leads the series, 58-38-3.

Ben Davis's next longest continuous rivalry is with North Central. They've met 75 times since 1956. The Giants have the series lead, 43-32.

After that, it's Carmel. The Giants played them twice in the 50's and they've played every year since 1981. The series is tied at 25 a piece.

The other longtime series (may not be continuous or on hiatus) include:

Ben Davis/Decatur Central: 62 meetings, Ben Davis leads 45-16-1 (Series on Hiatus)

Ben Davis/Southport: 58 meetings, Tied 28-28-2 (Only play in the tourney now)

Ben Davis/Pike: 50 meetings, Ben Davis leads 38-12 (Played 1945-1954, 1961-1963, 1970-1979, sporadically in the tournament, then 2012-present)

Westfield and Sheridan had the second longest streak in Indiana from 1923-2004. Westfield dropped them after that season after joining the HCC and wanting to pick up larger opponents. Sheridan has always been 1A, while Westfield went from 1A - 4A in 2004. Bud Wright was so PO"d about this that in that last game in 2004, at Westfield, he put a 53-7 beating on the Rocks. This was after Westfield had won the last four straight years, very unusual, since Sheridan had dominated the series, especially when the two schools were similar in size.

Mishawaka and Elkhart have played 114 times.  The first game was in 1902.  I know that 114 is not more than the 117 games between Crown Point and Lowell... but it's pretty close.  Unfortunately, since Mishawaka moved from the Northern Indiana Conference to the Northern Lakes Conference in 2020, that longstanding rivalry is over.

11 hours ago, maroonman said:

Mishawaka and Elkhart have played 114 times.  The first game was in 1902.  I know that 114 is not more than the 117 games between Crown Point and Lowell... but it's pretty close.  Unfortunately, since Mishawaka moved from the Northern Indiana Conference to the Northern Lakes Conference in 2020, that longstanding rivalry is over.

So, was Elkhart a single school, then it split, then consolidated? During the time there was both Elkhart Central and Elkhart Memorial, which was the rival?

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

So, was Elkhart a single school, then it split, then consolidated? During the time there was both Elkhart Central and Elkhart Memorial, which was the rival?

I'd assume Elkhart Central, since that is who they played in the NIC with/against all those years. This could also just be me, but I kind of always assumed Elkhart Central = Elkhart, and Elkhart Memorial = new school (even though technically they were both "new" schools)