• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/19/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted    Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach  Cloverdale: Tony Meyer  New Albany: Sean Coultis Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant  Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wheeler:  Tony Klimzack  Adam Hudak Hired from Lake Station  Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones Brian Hooker Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Indian72

NIC week 2 - South Division Conference Games

16 posts in this topic

Washington @ Jimtown ... both teams are coming off loses.  WHS got shut out by Wawasee.  Jimtown lost a wild one to Northwood.  Opening game of the conference season in the NIC South.

Riley @ Bremen ... Another match-up where both teams lost their season opener and a NIC South conference game as well.

Penn @ Merrillville ... The Kingsmen travel to a possible Regional Opponent and another Duneland Conference team.  Region newspapers had the Pirates as the best team in the region.  A good 2nd week test for the Kingsmen who beat Valpo.

New Prairie @ Clay ... The Cougars lost a heart breaker to county rival Laporte.  Clay took it on the chin from Marian.  Both teams looking to establish an identity in this non-conference game.

Lincoln Way (Ill) East @ Adams ... The Eagles surprised Northridge with their quick strike passing offense and jumped to a big lead early.  Eagles looking to continue their high flying ways against the team from the far south suburbs of Chicago.

Glenn @ Marian ... The Falcons opened with a win at Rochester.  Now they travel to Marian in the conference opener.  The Knights are looking to keep getting better each week as they continue their road of unfinished business from last season.

Crown Point @ Mishawaka ... The Bulldogs surprised Lowell in double OT last week.  The Cavemen beat what looks like an improved Portage team.  Bart ball in the home opener.

Goshen @ Elkhart Central ... County rivals meet at Rice Field.  Goshen beat Fairfield last week while Central lost the Mangy Lion game to Memorial.

Brebeuf Jesuit @ St Joe ... the Braves come to SB after losing to Bishop Chatard.  St Joe comes in after losing to Concord.  Two parochial schools duking it out at Fr. Bly Field

20 hours ago, Indian72 said:

Washington @ Jimtown ... both teams are coming off loses.  WHS got shut out by Wawasee.  Jimtown lost a wild one to Northwood.  Opening game of the conference season in the NIC South.

Riley @ Bremen ... Another match-up where both teams lost their season opener and a NIC South conference game as well.

Penn @ Merrillville ... The Kingsmen travel to a possible Regional Opponent and another Duneland Conference team.  Region newspapers had the Pirates as the best team in the region.  A good 2nd week test for the Kingsmen who beat Valpo.

New Prairie @ Clay ... The Cougars lost a heart breaker to county rival Laporte.  Clay took it on the chin from Marian.  Both teams looking to establish an identity in this non-conference game.

Lincoln Way (Ill) East @ Adams ... The Eagles surprised Northridge with their quick strike passing offense and jumped to a big lead early.  Eagles looking to continue their high flying ways against the team from the far south suburbs of Chicago.

Glenn @ Marian ... The Falcons opened with a win at Rochester.  Now they travel to Marian in the conference opener.  The Knights are looking to keep getting better each week as they continue their road of unfinished business from last season.

Crown Point @ Mishawaka ... The Bulldogs surprised Lowell in double OT last week.  The Cavemen beat what looks like an improved Portage team.  Bart ball in the home opener.

Goshen @ Elkhart Central ... County rivals meet at Rice Field.  Goshen beat Fairfield last week while Central lost the Mangy Lion game to Memorial.

Brebeuf Jesuit @ St Joe ... the Braves come to SB after losing to Bishop Chatard.  St Joe comes in after losing to Concord.  Two parochial schools duking it out at Fr. Bly Field

Brebeuf is a Catholic school, but it is not a "parochial" school. It is a Jesuit-affiliated school run by a private board of directors.    

Here are my picks for week 2:

Washington @ Jimtown - the shutout of Washington was a surprise!  Jimtown put up 30 unanswered against NW and is home, I will go with the Jimmies by 14.

Riley @ Bremen - I'm sure Riley has improved but not sure they have improved enough to beat Bremen at home.  Bremen by 10.

Penn @ Merrillville - Penn gets a challenge through 3 but comes out on top with a good road win.  Penn by 10.

New Prairie @ Clay - NP gets first victory of year in easy fashion.  Cougars by 20.

Lincoln Way (Ill) East @ Adams - Know nothing about East, so going with Adams at home by 20.

Glenn @ Marian - Hopefully Glenn can handle the Knights better than they have had in the past, but that will be a tough task.  Marian at home by 15.

Crown Point @ Mishawaka - This could be the game of the night in the area.  Gonna be a slugfest and I will Mishawaka the edge at home by 7.

Goshen @ Elkhart Central - I love Goshen's new digs and if it were home, I wud favor the Hawks.  Going with EC by 10.

Brebeuf Jesuit @ St Joe - Long drive from Indy, Indians learn some things after Concord loss, I'm going with Indians in a close one by 6.

On 8/22/2016 at 5:42 PM, JGHS89 said:

Penn @ Merrillville - Penn gets a challenge through 3 but comes out on top with a good road win.  Penn by 10.

I like that you have faith in the Kingsmen!  After what I saw in last weeks game, the O cannot pass the ball from the pocket.  The QB has a hard time seeing over the line.  The O-line is bringing out 3 new starters, which struggled at times to keep people out of the backfield.  Penn made big plays and will need to do so all night to win this next game.  Merrillville is touted as the best team out of the region this year....I cannot imagine Valpo is too far behind.

The D has an issue with stopping the run up the middle, and still we cannot lock down people on the corners.  Now we did have big plays in key moments from our corners but Valpo was throwing on the D as they pleased.  The D-line was being held (literally being held, as in the penalty) all night allowing their QB time to throw.  

With that being said, Penn cannot over pursue Friday night against the Pirates.  Last year at the regional game, anytime the play broke down their QB made plays with his feet.  

I think this is a lot closer, it will boil down to turnovers or other mental errors.

New Prairie's inability to kick the football cost them the game last week. Help is on the way from the soccer program after the kids get the required 10 practices in to be able to play.

Jimmies were all over the place Friday night.  Started the game getting punched in the mouth on back to back series by Northwood. Seriously didn't even slow them down on their first two possessions. Stiffened a little towards the end of the first and got a few timely turnovers in the second which asked them to get back in to the game.  Lots of mental errors! Alignment issues, getting plays in, clock management.  Offensive line looked like they really struggled with the speed of the Panthers defense at times.  That being said they showed signs of promise in the second and third quarters before Northwood stiffened and the Jimmie mental errors showed up again.  Rushed plays and alignment problems led to what i felt were two critical turnovers late.  Not sure what Washington has this year,  but Jimtown has to get a LOT better this week.   

4 hours ago, Rocket3117 said:

New Prairie's inability to kick the football cost them the game last week. Help is on the way from the soccer program after the kids get the required 10 practices in to be able to play.

After seeing Concord's kicker boot almost every kickoff into the end zone, I am surprised more schools do not look for a soccer player as a kicker.  Starting at the 20 is much better on your defense then starting on the 40 or 50 or worse yet your own territory

4 hours ago, Rocket3117 said:

Lincoln Way East is AP #2 rated team in Class 8A for Illinois. Granted, they're probably not the 2nd best team in Illinois as there are some very good Catholic/Public schools in 5-7A, but it shows Adams is playing a very good suburban Chicago team on Friday night. 

I'd be surprised if Mishawaka didn't beat Crown Point by at least 10. Lowell has some serious O-Line issues that allowed the 'Dogs to shut down their running game. I don't foresee them doing the same to Mishawaka and Portage's O is probably better than Crown Point's. 

Very curious to see the result of the Merrillville/Penn game. Hard to gauge the Pirates after week 1 as Andrean is supposedly wayyyyy down. Merrillville definately has raw talent again and their Sophomore QB put up solid passing stats in week 1. 

Lincoln Way East is ranked #3 in 7a Illinois state polls... Might be a long night for Adams considering Jones is steadfast against punting the football. You might get away with that against mediocre-good IN teams, but higher caliber teams will make you pay. Remember, Jones' state contending WHS team lost to lowly Benet Academy during their run to state finals in 2011... this team is no Benet Academy. IJS! Conversely, East St Louis is ranked #4 in 6a! Who in Michiana can honestly believe that they can beat them. Let's be reasonable.

Great night for football with some interesting match ups

Is the Riley-Bremen game going to be streamed?  I think this match-up is a toss up.  I don't know if the Lion defense can maintain for 4 quarters, and on offense they seemed to sputter.  How much of last week can be attributed to Plymouth, and how much is it flaws in the Lions.  This game will answer a lot of those concerns.  Also, according to the football cliche, the biggest improvements teams make throughout the year happen between week 1 and 2.  We shall see. Go Lions, and good luck to the WIldcats, hope you enjoy your first visit south to Don J Bunge Field.

2 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

Is the Riley-Bremen game going to be streamed?  I think this match-up is a toss up.  I don't know if the Lion defense can maintain for 4 quarters, and on offense they seemed to sputter.  How much of last week can be attributed to Plymouth, and how much is it flaws in the Lions.  This game will answer a lot of those concerns.  Also, according to the football cliche, the biggest improvements teams make throughout the year happen between week 1 and 2.  We shall see. Go Lions, and good luck to the WIldcats, hope you enjoy your first visit south to Don J Bunge Field.

As far as I know nobody is broadcasting it at all.  Too bad some of you Lion faithful wouldn't be willing to put together a LIVE VIDEO crew with www.broadcastsport.net.  We always get great audiences when we can pick the Lions during the tourney.

4 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

How much of last week can be attributed to Plymouth, and how much is it flaws in the Lions. 

I'm not sure how much was "flaws" in the Lions vs low numbers and not being very deep.  The first half, Bremen defense did not give up any big plays and really should have been a shut out.  I think a mistake bigger than the  trick play in the red zone 4th down, was when it was 4th and 7 on the 7 with 27 seconds left in the 2nd we called a time out (right after our 3rd down tackle) without letting the clock tick down....we had a good 25 seconds we could have run off the clock as our last offensive play before the time out.  So Plymouth intercepted the ball, ran 75 yards and STILL had time for another play.  Poor clock management cost us 8 points.

After half time, about 4 minutes into the 3rd (and after stopping their offense again) we had a few key players cramp.  This is where our low numbers kill us against a larger team.    I think the Lions are tough enough to maintain 4 quarters...so long as they don't get injured or cramp.  I was disappointed in their offense.

New Prairie-0

Clay-0

End of 1st

New Prairie came out flatter then pop sitting out for a week. Hopefully they wake up. 

New Prairie-14

Clay-0

Half

NP finally decided to do something offensively. Starting QB for Np is hurt though and could be a big problem moving forward. Pretty sloppy game overall, penalties and turnovers seemingly every other play. 

Np 49

Clay 0

Final

Np wins a penalty and turnover plagued game. Np is going to have to start playing more disciplined football as the season moves on, their first 2 have had a lot of bad penalties. Clay seemed to have a lot of speed but weren't able to reach open field to make the big play, their Qb has a good arm but very inaccurate. Good luck to them the rest of the season.