Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bears 2024

Muda69

We'll start the 2024 Bears season with the hot question:  Keep Fields or not?

Deadspin says dump him:  https://deadspin.com/justin-fields-caleb-williams-chicago-bears-nfl-draft-1851134896  

Near the end of Justin Fields’ triumphant win over the Atlanta Falcons, Chicago Bears fans serenaded him with a passionate “We want Justin” chant. The chorus reached a fever pitch on a night when Fields threw for north of 260 yards and one touchdown in a blowout win over the Atlanta Falcons. Throughout Sunday’s win, he made game-changing, highlight plays like this, which had Chicago salivating.

Based on the vibes, the consensus over whether Fields’ potential return as the Chicago Bears quarterback in 2024 has shifted over the past month from ‘hell no’ to a toss-up. ESPN insider Jeremy Fowler dared to report that “Fields has absolutely made Chicago’s decision in the draft difficult by his playmaking and how he has done this year.”

A month ago, moving on from Fields was a no-brainer. However, since December began, Fields has won 4 of 5 games, his best stretch as the Bears quarterback up to that point and convinced enough people to eschew common sense and consider trading the first overall pick. Essentially, they’d be building a palatial roster around a pauper quarterback. It would be the most painful mistake inside the top five since the Washington Commanders thought an edge rusher would propel them into respectability instead of Justin Herbert or Tua Tagovailoa.

During this five-game spell, Fields has generated seven touchdowns, including three on the ground and thrown only a triplet of interceptions. Two of those came in a loss against the Cleveland Browns’ stifling defense. But Bears fans should want better for themselves. I know most of them haven’t seen quality quarterback production in a Bears uniform since the 1980s, but this dead-cat bounce is a continuation of the Justin Fields romanticism that’s distorted how poor his decision-making has been. Chicago doesn’t have to settle for a quarterback whose nadir is Zach Wilson and whose ceiling after three seasons is Jalen Hurts on a bad day. If all things are equal, take the quarterback phenom.

The risk-benefit analysis leans heavily towards keeping the No. 1 overall pick. This isn’t even about Caleb Williams, although you could make a case for a Mahomesian prospect who is infinitely more talented than Fields. Williams isn’t a sure thing. No prospect is, however, recency bias has run amok in Chi-Town.

Here is what we know about Fields: Even after this month of relatively mistake-free football, Fields’ fourth-quarter completion percentage ranked last in the NFL, he finished 25th in yards per attempt, 29th in fourth-quarter interceptions and 30th in QBR this season.

The reality is that a coordinator or scheme change won’t turn Fields into Josh Allen or Cam Newton. To date, Fields’ performances have been more akin to a poor man’s Kyler Murray. He’s somehow both turnover-prone and reluctant to throw. According to ESPN’s Stats & Info department, Fields is last among qualified quarterbacks in average time per pass (3.23 seconds) in 2023 and since his rookie season.

The risk-benefit analysis leans heavily towards keeping the first. The meager salary allotted to No. 1 picks would allow the Bears to shovel millions to free agents that would otherwise be reserved for a quarterback. I get it. NFL fans are obsessed with physical gifts and the No.1 pick is an unknown, but what we know about Fields is that he lives on rock bottom and occasionally comes up for air. Every now and then, he’ll wow you with plays like this, but then he’ll stare down a receiver and hit an MLB right in the chest. Too often, he’s a game-changer quarterback for Bears’ opponents. It would be one thing if there was something tangible to build off of.

Chicago just went through this cycle for a decade with Jay Cutler. They waited for him to turn the corner into elite status, only to watch him do a poor Matt Stafford imitation. Most teams don’t get an opportunity to CTRL+ALT+DEL an underwhelming 11th overall pick. They placed a bet on the Panthers faltering this season and hit the jackpot in a quarterback-rich draft.

Now is not the time to get cute. Fields is only due to receive approximately $4 million next season, but committing to him over the No.1 pick would essentially mean picking up their $23 million fifth-year option for 2025 by May 2024. Not only would Williams allow them to avoid committing two more years to Fields, but it would reset the franchises’ clock on doling out a crippling franchise quarterback salary to a so-so quarterback. A team without the No. 1 pick would be okay with him developing into a middle-of-the-pack starter, but the Bears have an exit ramp.

Different quarterbacks progress at their own pace, but there aren’t many historical precedents for a quarterback throwing as poorly as Fields has, and then suddenly adjusting his trajectory in year four or five. By year three, Hurts was matching Patrick Mahomes pass-for-pass in a Super Bowl. Drew Brees, Alex Smith, Geno Smith and Steve Young are the rare exceptions of quarterbacks whose breakthroughs came during or after their fourth season.

Young and Brees bounced back from wobbly starts with cheap, dysfunctional organizations and their stories will both end up in the Hall of Fame. However, those glow-ups took years to come to come to fruition. Two decades later, the Niners also got stuck with Alex Smith until he began resembling an above-average starter in year seven. Smith’s redemption story began in his ninth season, on his fourth team.

A year ago, Fields opened eyes by recording the third 1,000-yard rushing season in league history from a QB, but the passing attack was grounded by a number of factors including Fields. For three years, Fields has been mediocre, but satiated Windy City on the few occasions where he meets their low expectations. Williams (or Drake Maye) could stumble out of the gates, but it’s cheaper to watch a rookie learn on the fly than a quarterback who should know better by now.

Fields has one more opportunity to end his season on a high note against the Green Bay Packers. It may be the most scrutinized Bears game of the Fields era. In five career matchups against the Packers, Fields has thrown nearly twice as many picks as touchdowns and lost all five contests. Unless the Bears are gluttons for punishment, they’ll send Fields onto the next stage of his NFL journey. With any luck, Fields will eventually hone his elite tools, but the hourglass is running out in Chicago.

Note that this was written a few days before another embarrassing loss to the fudge packers, and Mr. Fields certainly did nothing in that game to end his season on a high note.

Packers fans were chanting "Keep Justin Fields" as they left Lambeau last night so he's gotta go. In all seriousness,  I prefer they move on. The All 22's consistently show that he can't find open WR's when he does have time to throw the ball. He still has 1 year left on his deal and by trading him the Bears could get the 2nd Rounder back they used to get Sweat. Draft a QB and reset the clock with a Rookie contract. 

I am back and forth and back and forth

Here is what I will say:   OL still is AWFUL, depth is atrocious...... That still is a concern with JF or any Rookie QB for that matter.  

I am reisgned to this:   I LIKE and TRUST RYAN POLES

so what decides to do, I will back the play.   

I do think though Luke Getsy is sub par OC, he looked great with Aaron Rodgers......the fact he still cannot overcome poor line play with a mobile QB to create offense consistently is mind boggling.   

38 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I am back and forth and back and forth

Here is what I will say:   OL still is AWFUL, depth is atrocious...... That still is a concern with JF or any Rookie QB for that matter.  

I am reisgned to this:   I LIKE and TRUST RYAN POLES

so what decides to do, I will back the play.   

I do think though Luke Getsy is sub par OC, he looked great with Aaron Rodgers......the fact he still cannot overcome poor line play with a mobile QB to create offense consistently is mind boggling.   

I like Poles. And I really like the way that Flus lead the team this year. Poles has recently spoken very highly of him and the way he handled pressure and lead through adversity. That's either polite "GM speak" or Poles is set on bringing Flus back. Getsy has to go though. Seems like it's a square peg/round hole situation where he wants to run the Shanahan style of offense and doesn't have the OL or QB to do it.

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

OL still is AWFUL, depth is atrocious

It looks like they’re going to trade Fields and, if that’s the case, it amounts to resetting the rookie pay scale clock. They’ll draft Caleb Williams (a mistake, IMO) and then, hopefully use the salary cap relief and the capital they acquire by trading Fields to address those concerns. I’ll say it again, Joe Alt would look good in a Bears’ uniform.

How can they get Alt at 9?   don't think he is there at 9, so you cannot take QB and get ALT imo. 

Fields in draft capital costs what??   I would like to think he would fetch at least 1 and 3 or 1 and 4.   or 2. 2nd round picks perhaps??  

No. Alt is going higher than 9. The presumption if they keep Fields is that they would go with Harrison Jr at the 2 or 3 depending on who they trade the #1. A LOT of very good WR's are in the league that didn't go in the 1st Round. Is it silly to take Harrison Jr over OL help? Or silly to take an OL at #3 when Harrison Jr is on the board? 

I agree with Bob on Williams. He scares me from the mental aspect of the game. I would personally prefer Drake Maye in this years class if they move on from Fields. I don't think Fields can get a 1st Round return. They would probably get a 2nd Round pick for Fields at the high end. I have reaad that insiders believe the Bears could land even more than they did from Carolina last year if they traded the #1 pick this year. A few teams are going to desperately want Williams or even Maye. As long as Getsy is gone I would be OK with keeping Fields and stockpiling more Draft capital just by moving down a few spots.

Edited by Boilernation

Trade 1 for 3 draft MH jr, draft de at 9 then penix or Bo nix if available if later

give fields 1 more year but have a capable backup in case injury or poor performance 

that’s my ideal path for bears but with poles you never know but he has made many good moves and 1 poor one chase claypool 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

How can they get Alt at 9?

You’re right that they can’t both take Williams with the #1 and get Alt at #9. Here’s what I’d like to see, in order of priority:

1. Keep Fields, which would make the upcoming OC and QB coach hires even more important. I think, with the right coaching, Fields can be a bigger Lamar Jackson. He was a better passer than Jackson in college. No reason he can’t get there at this level. Drafting Caleb Williams - who is not nearly as mobile as Fields- without getting major upgrades in the OL would be just setting him up for failure.
  2. Trade down with the #1 pick to get additional draft capital. Combine that with that #9 pick, and get Marvin Harrison, Jr. and the best offensive tackle available.
  3. Use remaining draft capital and salary cap room to address edge rusher, LB depth and remaining OL issues.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

1. Keep Fields, which would make the upcoming OC and QB coach hires even more important. I think, with the right coaching, Fields can be a bigger Lamar Jackson. He was a better passer than Jackson in college. No reason he can’t get there at this level. Drafting Caleb Williams - who is not nearly as mobile as Fields- without getting major upgrades in the OL would be just setting him up for failure.

You've been bullish on Fields all year. Are you not concerend about him consistently not finding the open WR's when he does have time to throw? Or do you think the combo of Getsy and Nagy ruined him? I honestly can't remember if he was throwing WR's open at Ohio State are just alway benefited from having great pass protection and WR's who were always open. I love his arm and running ability. But, the Bears are giving up good trade value now if the new OC/QB coach are telling Poles after next season that he just can't read a defense and the Bears let him walk as a FA.

14 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

You've been bullish on Fields all year. Are you not concerend about him consistently not finding the open WR's when he does have time to throw? Or do you think the combo of Getsy and Nagy ruined him? I honestly can't remember if he was throwing WR's open at Ohio State are just alway benefited from having great pass protection and WR's who were always open. I love his arm and running ability. But, the Bears are giving up good trade value now if the new OC/QB coach are telling Poles after next season that he just can't read a defense and the Bears let him walk as a FA.

As always, the question is whether he will progress to the point where the game slows down for him in the pocket. And what’s the alternative? Wasting a #1 pick on a relatively immobile unknown quantity who you can’t protect? You know they’re going to throw him out there from Day 1.

JF has shown enough to me that he has NFL arm , where he has been failed is 3 cordinators in 4 years.    How gross is this stat:  

So, again, is JF that bad or is Bears "brass" been the common denominator :   (yea that is pointed at you Ted Phillips, CLOWN). 

I believe Fields is a legitimate starting QB in the NFL and the Bears would be fools to trade him. Build around him, get him an offensive line, give him some weapons at WR and RB and you got yourself a playoff team. 

QB Williams is a head case. Major ego for sure. Allegedly wants part ownership of the team drafting him.

7 hours ago, Komets2727 said:

I believe Fields is a legitimate starting QB in the NFL and the Bears would be fools to trade him. Build around him, get him an offensive line, give him some weapons at WR and RB and you got yourself a playoff team. 

QB Williams is a head case. Major ego for sure. Allegedly wants part ownership of the team drafting him.

The problem with fields is financial there is no precedent of someone who has played poorly as him getting extended, baker mayfield won a playoff game and still got traded. Daniel jones was a one year wonder and got 40 mil a year. In fields defense the bears number 2 receiver wouldn’t start on any other team and o line has had some rough patches.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

The problem with fields is financial there is no precedent of someone who has played poorly as him getting extended, baker mayfield won a playoff game and still got traded. Daniel jones was a one year wonder and got 40 mil a year. In fields defense the bears number 2 receiver wouldn’t start on any other team and o line has had some rough patches.

I'll eat the crow on this if I'm wrong, but I think Darnell Mooney could be a stud in certain offenses. I will not be surprised if Kansas City takes a flier on him

Justin Fields is not a victim. Yes, he's had to deal with multiple OC's and a crappy OL. But, every single national or local analyst (most with NFL experience) I listen to on Chicago radio talks about how many open WR's he misses on the All 22 footage because he either doesn't see them or holds onto the ball too long. If this crap continues with another QB Coach or OC then the Bears missed out on CJ Stroud AND whomever they could have taken this year. I like Justin. He has a lot of Elite phyiscal attributes. I want him to succeed and hope he succeeds. 

As expected Poles was non commital about Fields' future in the presser on Tuesday. He said he's collecting data on all paths the Bears could go with the #1 pick and will ride it out until April. He seamed a little irritated by the reporter who kept pressing on him on why he passed on Stroud.

Anyone hear Warren's presser from that day? He does not sound like someone committing to building a new stadium in Arlington Heights. Seems more interested in doing it in Chicago. Perhaps buying Arlington Race Track could also turn into a real estate investment for the Bears if they can use it to convinve the City to play ball with them on a new downtown stadium.

• Like 1

The reporter was Brad Biggs, LONG time Beat guy in Chicago Trib Bears Beat. and appears every morning at 7 a.m on Score 

I thought it was a fair question for sure 

I would love this idea:   Bears Whitesox Arlington dual complex sports empire.   Jerry needs to sell or pass away first though.....but Wsox stadium deal is up in a few years I think   

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Anyone hear Warren's presser from that day? He does not sound like someone committing to building a new stadium in Arlington Heights. Seems more interested in doing it in Chicago. Perhaps buying Arlington Race Track could also turn into a real estate investment for the Bears if they can use it to convinve the City to play ball with them on a new downtown stadium.

They need to do something to either get off the lake or put a roof on one if they stay close.  Hard to get a throwing QB excited about playing there now in the weather, especially in today's NFL. 

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

The reporter was Brad Biggs, LONG time Beat guy in Chicago Trib Bears Beat. and appears every morning at 7 a.m on Score 

I thought it was a fair question for sure 

I would love this idea:   Bears Whitesox Arlington dual complex sports empire.   Jerry needs to sell or pass away first though.....but Wsox stadium deal is up in a few years I think   

Nice catch. Biggs is good. Definately a fair question. Poles even "mispoke" per himself and said they would be evaluating 4 options. My guess is keeping Fields or drafting Williams, Maye, and 1 of the other QB's. He mentioned that when talking about how he was intrigued to interview OC's that could evaluate the 4 of them in terms of offensive scheme or something along that line in.

Does Jerry have kids that will inherit the business? He's an even worse owner than the McCaskey's simply for how open he is about his main concern being ROI to his investors and not winning. That would be a cool sports complex. But, i've often thought the Sox would benefit attendance wise from moving to Orland Park or Tinley Park. Lots of land and easier to get to for most of their fanbase (West, SW burbs and NWI) 

12 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

They need to do something to either get off the lake or put a roof on one if they stay close.  Hard to get a throwing QB excited about playing there now in the weather, especially in today's NFL. 

The irony is the "tyipcal" Bears fan who would argue about a roof is the person who will tell you "Bear Weather" gives them an advantage. Yet, they never win big games in "Bear Weather." Whether it's Arlington Heights or somewhere South of Soldier Field near the old McCormick Place, I think they'll go with a roof. They're going to want a Super Bowl and Final 4's. I know a Super Bowl worked in Indy and NYC, but on the shores of Lake Michigan in the middle of winter without a roof? No shot.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

The irony is the "tyipcal" Bears fan who would argue about a roof is the person who will tell you "Bear Weather" gives them an advantage. Yet, they never win big games in "Bear Weather." Whether it's Arlington Heights or somewhere South of Soldier Field near the old McCormick Place, I think they'll go with a roof. They're going to want a Super Bowl and Final 4's. I know a Super Bowl worked in Indy and NYC, but on the shores of Lake Michigan in the middle of winter without a roof? No shot.

I totally agree.  The NFL has changed so much.  The NFL I grew up watching was so much about the run game, and loved watching "Sweetness" run wild at Soldier Field, Chuck Forman for the Vikes at the Met, etc.  where inclement weather was truly a benefit to those teams.  Today, the game is so different, facilities have changed, and certainly the emphasis on passing is so very different.  I just think what used to be a possible advantage for Chicago is now no longer an advantage..its become a detriment.

You are also spot on about these facilities being used for so much more...Super Bowls, NCAA Final 4's., etc.  I think having a closed option stadium in Chicago will hurt Indy when it comes to hosting Big 10 football championships.  I know its being opened now to consider other cities as I'm sure Detroit, Minneapolis and perhaps cities now out west want a piece of the Big 10 championship pie....a closed option stadium in Chicagoland I believe puts them at the top of the list.

Lots of advantages moving forward with a new stadium for Chitown....and I think its only a matter of time.