Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NLC - 2023 Season

21 hours ago, 00NWP said:

And the game that will decide the NLC!

Warsaw at Mishawaka: Both teams mirror one another in just about every aspect.  Warsaw capitalized on turnovers last week and ran all over NorthWood.  Mishawaka (other than the Penn game) has looked pretty good. This game could be a toss up however I think being at home will help.  Mishawaka 28 Warsaw 13

In the words of Lee Corso - "Not so fast, my friend!" - Warsaw still has to play Northridge at the end of the season, and Mishawaka still has NorthWood and Concord left on the schedule. Yes, the winner of this week's game is in the driver's seat, but still plenty of opportunities for either team to lose a game.

I haven't had a chance to post about last week's game. I'm honestly still in shock. I firmly believed the Panthers air attack would tear up Warsaw, but that Tiger defense is LEGIT! And the resolve and character of the Warsaw team as a whole just speaks to the entire coaching staff Coach Curtis has assembled. It's never been a question, but he is the definition of a HOF high school football coach. When NorthWood scored under a minute left in 2Q to take a 21-17 lead before halftime, I was sure that was going to be the momentum swing that blew the doors open. Instead, the Tigers score on two huge plays and retake the lead 24-21 at halftime.

Hoping for a great game this Friday night, in the similiar vein of those 2020 and 2021 matchups that were great back and forth affairs.

14 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

In the words of Lee Corso - "Not so fast, my friend!" - Warsaw still has to play Northridge at the end of the season, and Mishawaka still has NorthWood and Concord left on the schedule. Yes, the winner of this week's game is in the driver's seat, but still plenty of opportunities for either team to lose a game.

I haven't had a chance to post about last week's game. I'm honestly still in shock. I firmly believed the Panthers air attack would tear up Warsaw, but that Tiger defense is LEGIT! And the resolve and character of the Warsaw team as a whole just speaks to the entire coaching staff Coach Curtis has assembled. It's never been a question, but he is the definition of a HOF high school football coach. When NorthWood scored under a minute left in 2Q to take a 21-17 lead before halftime, I was sure that was going to be the momentum swing that blew the doors open. Instead, the Tigers score on two huge plays and retake the lead 24-21 at halftime.

Hoping for a great game this Friday night, in the similiar vein of those 2020 and 2021 matchups that were great back and forth affairs.

Hard to imagine the winner of this game NOT at least get a share of the conference title. But you are right, the NLC is far from being over with 4 teams that could all beat one another and a 5th that could pick someone off. 

The minute Curtis took the Warsaw job I knew he would get them to being a consistent winner. It's kind of interesting too look at the programs that he has left and where they are at now with New Prairie and Mishawaka. The guy doesn't just get buy in from players but he also gets it from the community and the community is what gets you stable programs. Truly one of the best out there

• Like 2

On 9/16/2023 at 4:32 PM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Former Warsaw Tiger Harrison Mevis hits a 61-yarder at the buzzer to walk off an upset win for Mizzou. Sets an SEC record for longest FG in conference history.

Awesome kick.  That was a fun game to watch.  On a side note does NLCTigerFan07 remember the OT game at Plymouth when the walk-off FG by Plymouth to win the game was counted even though it was missed.  I work the gate by that side and we talk about that game all of the time.  I believe that Mevis was your kicker during that time.  

46 minutes ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

Awesome kick.  That was a fun game to watch.  On a side note does NLCTigerFan07 remember the OT game at Plymouth when the walk-off FG by Plymouth to win the game was counted even though it was missed.  I work the gate by that side and we talk about that game all of the time.  I believe that Mevis was your kicker during that time.  

Remember it? I'll never forget it! One of the most egregious things I have ever witnessed in high school football history. I rarely, if ever, complain about officiating because I am not one of those fans. I've played and coached in my history, and "experts" in the stands who love to complain about officiating are usually the most uninformed, HOWEVER, that was one that was a straight up mistake. Ultimately did not cost the Tigers an NLC championship since they lost to NorthWood later in the season and the Panthers were undefeated in the conference, but yes, will never forget that call.

I think it comes down to if Northwood doesn’t turn the ball over. We committed 5 TOs against Warsaw. I don’t see any way Mishawaka doesn’t have at least 300 yards rushing and 35 points. The question is, does Northwood’s offense do its thing and keep it a game. My prediction is no and Mishawaka wins by at least 3 scores. The Panthers have regressed, even Plymouth was having some success running the ball. They just don’t have the talent to maintain that on long drives. 

Raiders played uninspired last night but squeaked out a win.  2 d1 starters and a host of other starters didn't dress nursing injuries but still gotta give credit to Wawasee for giving their best and almost shocking the area last night. 

19 penalties, 12 against the visiting team last night as well as a double ejection on a punt that we couldn't see or hear what the cause was left a lot of confused coaches and fans. 

Gonna be a huge hole to fill without our leading tackler next week if he has to sit longer. 

Game of the week should be a good one, but we'll see which team shows up. 

Hoping we'll see Miller back soon, although Sherwood has filled in very nicely in his absence. 

On 9/23/2023 at 8:15 AM, PantherPride said:

I think it comes down to if Northwood doesn’t turn the ball over. We committed 5 TOs against Warsaw. I don’t see any way Mishawaka doesn’t have at least 300 yards rushing and 35 points. The question is, does Northwood’s offense do its thing and keep it a game. My prediction is no and Mishawaka wins by at least 3 scores. The Panthers have regressed, even Plymouth was having some success running the ball. They just don’t have the talent to maintain that on long drives. 

Northwood has some dudes.  But I wonder if all the showing off they do is a distraction from actually playing football.  From all of the posting on social media, to pointing the first down after every one of them, and then the hanging mouth piece from your WR.  

Most coaches wouldn't allow this to go on if you are losing games and I wonder how much control the coaches at Northwood have.  Does the tail wag the dog?

Mishawaka is the best team I have seen in the NLC.  Their QB is the best player in the conference.  We need to beat Goshen this Friday to continue on our overall improvement.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Plymouthfan91 said:

Northwood has some dudes.  But I wonder if all the showing off they do is a distraction from actually playing football.  From all of the posting on social media, to pointing the first down after every one of them, and then the hanging mouth piece from your WR.  

Most coaches wouldn't allow this to go on if you are losing games and I wonder how much control the coaches at Northwood have.  Does the tail wag the dog?

Mishawaka is the best team I have seen in the NLC.  Their QB is the best player in the conference.  We need to beat Goshen this Friday to continue on our overall improvement.  

Interesting comments coming from a poster whose team got beat 42-7 by an  uncoached team.

• Haha 1

Week 6 is in the books for the NLC.  Not a whole lot of suprises...wait...good for Wawasee making it a game with Northridge.  I know Northridge had some people out, however, from a moral standpoint I bet that game was dang near a victory for the boys in Syracuse...good for them!  On to week 7!

Goshen at Plymouth: This game may be interesting.  Both teams have made strides from last year and are much improved no matter what the records show.  I think this game will be a close one and the home field will play a role.  I will take Plymouth for their 3rd win of the year.  Plymouth 21 Goshen 14

Mishawaka at NorthWood: While this game may very well turn out to be a good one...i have my doubts.  Mishawaka is playing really well and NorthWood is just not built to stop that type of offense.  NorthWood's only chace is to score and keep scoring hoping Mishawaka makes a mistake they can capitalize on. NorthWood has only beaten Mishawaka once since they joined the NLC and I don't think Friday will bring them the 2nd.  Mishawaka 38 NorthWood 21

Northridge at Concord: Northridge is missing some people and Concord is playing well right now.  Last Friday's game against Wawasee was out of the norm and I think they will bounce back just fine.  I think home field will and always helps, however, not Friday.  Northridge will come fired up due to their showing against Wawasee.  Northridge 35 Concord 28

Wawasee at Warsaw: Just like Northridge, Warsaw is going to come out fired up after their "not so good" showing last week.  Wawasee whom didnt really have a shot to begin with will feel their wrath.  I know Warsaw hasnt put up a lot of points this year (excluding the NW game), however, Friday they will get things rolling.  Warsaw 49 Wawasee 7.

Quick note on a previous post about NorthWood's showing off or being uncoached.  Its pretty obvious NW has some good players on this team.  Those players can't play every position on the field and it is quite obvious to anyone whom has watched a game this year, the positions lost to graduation are struggling...not the skill positions.  In today's age, that is life for this generation.  Not just in sports, but life is lived on social media...for good or bad. I cant fathom a team like NorthWood being "uncoached".  There is a reason that a small farm school like NW has only had maybe 4-5 losing seasons ever....its 93 percent coaching.  Those are just my 2 cents for what its worth.

1 hour ago, 00NWP said:

Quick note on a previous post about NorthWood's showing off or being uncoached.  Its pretty obvious NW has some good players on this team.  Those players can't play every position on the field and it is quite obvious to anyone whom has watched a game this year, the positions lost to graduation are struggling...not the skill positions.  In today's age, that is life for this generation.  Not just in sports, but life is lived on social media...for good or bad. I cant fathom a team like NorthWood being "uncoached".  There is a reason that a small farm school like NW has only had maybe 4-5 losing seasons ever....its 93 percent coaching.  Those are just my 2 cents for what its worth.

I'm not saying they were uncoached.  My thought is that they are undisciplined and have a little too much "look at me!" for this football fan.  I wonder why the coaches haven't toned down this behavior.  That was the meaning of the tail wagging the dog comment not the scheme but the discipline of the athletes.

I worked the chain gang as a sub one game when Bronson Yoder was a Senior and Northwood destroyed Plymouth.  He was not only a great player but he was a great person to observe on the sidelines.  He was constantly cheering for his teammates and didn't need to stand out.  He was the epitome of a leader and a great player.  At least from the one game that I observed him.  

• Like 1

Here I was last week saying I rarely complain about officials, and I do not believe it would have made a difference in the outcome of the game as Mishawaka was clearly the better team Friday night... but the Tigers were driving with 8 minutes left in the game, down 16 points, at the Caveman 18 yard line.

4th and 2

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, believed Warsaw got the first down. Both the Warsaw radio play-by-play announcer Roger Grossman (I listened to the game live) and Chuck Freeby from Channel 46 (watched the replay) mentioned initially it being a 1st down for the Tigers.

Watch the play starting at 1:49:15 - it doesn't really do any justice to the spot and where the yard markers are, but you can hear the call from Freeby. 

Again, I don't think it made much of a difference as Warsaw would have had to score twice with successful 2 point conversions. But the fact that they didn't even measure the spot was atrocious. Coach Curtis rarely gets overly animated (don't get me wrong, he's can be a firery guy) but he was pretty upset with the call.

7 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Coach Curtis rarely gets overly animated

🤣😂😅

Seriously, Coach Curtis has clearly mellowed. Can’t tell anything from the video. This happened at 8:25 of the 4th period. If either of the coaching staffs would share the Hudl video with the IFOA like they are supposed to, I could look at it and see if there’s anything there. Regardless, there should have been a measurement, if only for “public relations” purposes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

NW and Mishawaka...ehhh...I would like to think it will be interesting.  Judging by the NW / Warsaw game...NW will have to get some turnover help (as well as none themselves) and at least attempt to stop their run game.  I just hope they are competative as its senior night and potentially those young men's last night playing at Andrew's Field. 

On 9/25/2023 at 6:05 PM, Bobref said:

🤣😂😅

Seriously, Coach Curtis has clearly mellowed. Can’t tell anything from the video. This happened at 8:25 of the 4th period. If either of the coaching staffs would share the Hudl video with the IFOA like they are supposed to, I could look at it and see if there’s anything there. Regardless, there should have been a measurement, if only for “public relations” purposes.

Ya know ME...  That's a measurement ON grass!   

I ain't gonna have the "Original Caveman" all over MY ass on a 4th down and short!   

That was an interesting slate of games on Friday in the NLC...it turned out to be the best week of the year.  Every one of the games were close and I wish I would have been able to watch all of them.  I feel like this week will be the complete opposite, as the matchups are fairly lopsided in my opinion.

Concord at Mishawaka: Probably the best game of the week.  Both teams are coming off of tough losses last week.  Having seen both teams in person, I feel Mishawaka is the better team here.  Watching Mishawaka on Friday, they are a really good football team.  If Concord is able to stop a couple of Mishawaka drives and scores, they may keep it close.  I don't see this happening.  Mishawaka 38 Concord 17

Plymouth at Northridge: Plymouth lost a heartbreaker last week with that walk off field goal...however...I really like it when the kicking game has an impact in games.  I feel like, in my lifetime, the kicking game may be removed from football and that makes me sad.  Northridge played a good game against Concord.  I don't see Plymouth getting a win at Northridge, but I hope they make it competetive.  Plymouth is headed in the right direction. Northridge 37 Plymouth 10

Warsaw at Goshen: This one is lopsided, however, I said the same thing with Wawasee and Warsaw and that proved to be incorrect.  I see this game possibly having a running clock at some point.  Warsaw 49 Goshen 7

NorthWood at Wawasee: NorthWood won a nail bitter last week and Wawasee played Warsaw very well.  I don't think Wawsee will keep up with NW's offense and this should be a running clock as well.  NW 42 Wawasee 7

Thoughts on the NW / Mishawaka Game:  This game highlighted about the only way NW will make some noise in the playoffs.  They will not be stopping teams like Mishawaka from scoring...only slowing them down.  Friday, they only had the ball 2 times maybe 3 in the 1st half and could not stop Mishawaka's running game.  NW played fairly mistake free football and did not allow big plays.  This game remined me of the NW / Warsaw game a few years ago.  I also feel like this game is what the boys needed, knowing they could compete with a team like Mishawaka (bigger, faster and runs the ball the whole game).  I am curious as to what happened to NW's football field.  Typically the school take great care of their grass field...it was a hot mess express on Friday and I am sure that Mishawaka was not happy with what they saw as it was a muddy mess in some places.  Any who...the regular season is winding down and the NLC shows again that it is a very competetive conference and will more than likely have a shared champion. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 00NWP said:

Plymouth at Northridge: Plymouth lost a heartbreaker last week with that walk off field goal...however...I really like it when the kicking game has an impact in games.  I feel like, in my lifetime, the kicking game may be removed from football and that makes me sad.  Northridge played a good game against Concord.  I don't see Plymouth getting a win at Northridge, but I hope they make it competetive.  Plymouth is headed in the right direction. Northridge 37 Plymouth 10

I am curious as to what happened to NW's football field.  Typically the school take great care of their grass field...it was a hot mess express on Friday and I am sure that Mishawaka was not happy with what they saw as it was a muddy mess in some places.  Any who...the regular season is winding down and the NLC shows again that it is a very competetive conference and will more than likely have a shared champion. 

Tough loss is right.  We scored too quick to tie the game.  Our defense has to be able to make a stop in that situation though.  I thought that the Goshen QB and RB were pretty good players.  It was a good game.  We are slowly showing improvement.  We can hang with Ridge if our defense can get some stops.

NW has turf for their softball and baseball fields.  When are they getting it for football?  

In regard to turf for the football field, I have asked myself that same question for sometime.  I am assuming the powers that be want grass.  I would imagine that when they put in the baseball / softball complex they could have gotten a really good deal for the extra turf.  I know they are going to be connecting the AC to the Gym which may play a factor in putting money in different projects.  In the NLC...NorthWood, Concord and Mishawaka are the only schools without turf and they may see it as an advantage when everyone else is playing on turf.

• 2 weeks later...