Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Onside Kick - Encroachment … By The Kicker!

I was at this game. It was ruled as off sides on the kicker #80, but the flag was not thrown until the ball went 10 yards. I was told by my son who plays for North, said that for an onside kick, the kick is allowed to be offside, as long as he is on the correct side when the ball is kicked. My biggest question is, if the refs seen or felt it was offsides for the kick off, why did they not tell them this was not acceptable? They knew what was about to happen. Everyone there knew what was going to happen. 

4 hours ago, DecCoFan said:

I was at this game. It was ruled as off sides on the kicker #80, but the flag was not thrown until the ball went 10 yards. I was told by my son who plays for North, said that for an onside kick, the kick is allowed to be offside, as long as he is on the correct side when the ball is kicked. My biggest question is, if the refs seen or felt it was offsides for the kick off, why did they not tell them this was not acceptable? They knew what was about to happen. Everyone there knew what was going to happen. 

This was a mistake by a crew that was surprised and, understandably so. In 45 seasons of high school football I’ve seen a lot of games and a lot of video. I’ve never seen a kicker line up in the neutral zone and then stay in the NZ while kicking the ball. The line judge who threw the flag was evidently influenced by the Team R coach, who was screaming for a flag well before the ball was kicked.

In actuality, this is not a foul. The kicker is allowed to be in the NZ. So, the onside kick and recovery by Team K should have stood. But you’re right. If this were a foul for encroachment, the flag would fly and the whistle should blow before the ball is ever kicked.

5 hours ago, DecCoFan said:

Before each game, coaches will be asked do you have any unusual plays or anything we (officials) need to be aware of. This is a GREAT time to mention stuff like this. I was not there, but it is my understanding the crew knew there was going to be onside kick, they weren’t aware of this play. I don’t blame the crew for what happened, this is clearly an interpretation issue and not necessarily a rules knowledge issue. This KO has been shared and discussed nationally.