LaVille at Glenn, 7 pm

Marian at Angola, 7 pm

Prairie Heights at Bremen, 7:30 pm

Riley at New Prairie, 7:30 pm

St. Joseph at Penn ©, 7 pm

Washington at Jimtown ©, 7 pm

Saturday, Sep. 30

North Newton at Clay, 1 pm

Riley takes their 6-0 record to New Prairie.  Friday night we will see if the Cats are ready for better competition or is their weaker schedule resulted in the 6-0 start.

Elkhart at Adams  - Adams didn't look very good at all last week. Massive holes every play for the cougars to run through. Elkhart easily.

LaVille at Glenn - Lancers best the falcons. 

Marian at Angola - Knights beat the 0-6 Hornets. Marian has a chance to salvage an average season

Prairie Heights at Bremen - Don't think the Lions will have a problem this week, Bremen big

Riley at New Prairie - Probably the most intriguing game this week. 6-0 Riley vs. 5-1 NP. Riley has played a HORRIBLE schedule; especially the last 3 weeks. The only common opponent is Adams. Riley beat them 22-12 while the Cougars dismantled them 49-0. All signs point to a NP win but Riley's coach Lee has the one circled on the calendar. Would be a massive win for the Wildcats and the SB publics, but don't think it's going to happen. NP 35 Riley 14.

St. Joseph at Penn - I think this game will be closer than what paper would suggest. Penn still wins 

Washington at Jimtown - Jimmies 

North Newton at Clay - Fun stat of the day, Clay is 1-74 the last 8 seasons against IHSAA sanctioned varsity teams. Jimtowns JV is 1-0 in that same span. NN is horrible, this game is a match made in heaven. 

1 hour ago, johnny U said:

Seabe Gavin, Riley Athletic Director , should get NIC "Coach  of the Year" for his scheduling  for the   football team.  

Cute comment. I'll admit I posted doubt last year on here. I grew up playing in SB, my kids played in SB, my niece and nephews played in SB and I've always questioned how they have done. But maybe it's time to give this team some credit. They can only play who is on schedule, and half the teams have been conference teams or a fellow SB rival. But lets compare before the coaches showed up.

Same team results:

Glenn: 2021 7-42 2023 20-0 and wasn't that close. At no time did Glenn threaten to score

Adams: 2021 6-39 2023 22-12 another one where score doesn't show how dominate riley was actually playing.

Clay: 2021 42-0 2023 76-0 Riley had more points in the 1st qtr then they did against clay in 2021. Running clock was started in the 1st, which I don't think is really in the rules. 

They haven't played the NP, Bremen, or Jimtown yet but comparing last year to 2021:

NP: 2021 0-38 2022 21-42

Bremen: 2021 21-48 2022 40-15

Jimtown: 2021 0-25 2022 7-19

These Seniors and Juniors took a lot of very lopsided loses, to now be in position to compete and in some case beat teams that embarrassed them. Without a change in coaching this schedule would still be a 1-5, 2-4 type record. While we're talking about it, this varsity defense has only gave up 18 total points in 6 games. JV gave up the rest. Another thing I was told about what they are doing that is unique is they all play 1 position. They have 22 different starters, and only a few players have even played a handful of snaps on other side of ball all year. They took over a team with maybe 30 kids on it, and because they play so many kids have 80 plus kids on the roster this year. I heard this week they already have 6 kids with college offers from there senior class, which means academically they must be doing something right also. But since it's jokes about COY for NIC, let's compare last years Champions schedule to Rileys this year.

2022 Jimtown                                   2023 Riley

Northwood         7-21                       Gary Westside         48-12

Concord             0-14                       Glenn                        20-0

Osceola Grace  64-0                       Adams                      22-12

Glenn                20-12                      Clay                           76-0

Bremen             35-17                      Indianapolis Wash.   46-6

Clay                   69-6                       Washington              26-0

Washington       35-0                       New Prairie

Adams               35-28                     Bremen

Riley                  19-7                         Jimtown

So what big difference between non-conference schedules do you see here? Osceola Grace would've probably been a good game with Indy Washington. They also played Adams, Riley played New Prairie who actually went to state. SO difference is Concord and Gary Westside? At the end of the day Gary did end up winning 7 games last year, and do have 3 wins this year. Concord won only 5 games last year, 1 being Jimtown, then beat Goshen twice, Plymouth and Wawasee. So where was the jokes last year when they won through a joke of none conference schedule? Where was jokes or questions on sportsmanship when they beat Clay 69-6? So I ask, when is it time to give them some respect and say maybe these coaches are doing a pretty good job. No matter who you play, it is not easy to win football games, and really not easy to win in the fashion they keep doing. Now they play is very good program this week, and from what I'm hearing hav nothing but total respect for New Prairie and know it's going to take alot to win game. So if it doesn't go their way, feel free to come back and comment on my post. But at the end of the day, nothing I said is false and these gentlemen and athletes deserve some credit cause if it didn't say South Bend before their school name the word would be this is a good staff and some quality players.

Have a great day.

If Elkhart's athletes come to play it will be over early.  The speed will run by the Eagles

LaVille coming off a tough loss to Knox - think the Lancers will come out to win this one over Glenn

Marian makes the drive to Angola and comes home with a win over the winless Hornets

Bremen should handle Prairie Heights

Will Riley be able to contain the NP QB is the first big question.  Then throw in the young RB.  Will NP dare the Cats to throw to stop the run.  This game could be very interesting.  This is where we will see how far Riley has come

Penn is the class of the NIC it appears.  While SJ has improved it is still working to correct some flaws happening.  Penn to win but maybe not as big as some think

Washington to Jimtown and a long bus ride home - Jimtown

Is this the week Clay tastes a "V"?  North Newton has a long bus ride up I-65 to the Toll Road to get to Clay.  The game is at noon Saturday which is 11 a.m. in Newton Co.  If the Colonials come out and play they should bring home the "W"

2 hours ago, johnny U said:

Seabe Gavin, Riley Athletic Director , should get NIC "Coach  of the Year" for his scheduling  for the   football team.  

On 5/19/2023 at 9:30 AM, Trojan67 said:

So, if your mad about the NLC not wanting to blow things up, then does the NIC tell the SB schools that they have to go independent or find a new conference? Because that is what I think people are trying to say without saying it. 

I don't think you can include Adams in the group.  I feel that with their new AD and numerous good coaches, they will be able to compete  with the big boys in the future.

****lol, I'm not even going to comment about Coach of the Year*** But, while we are on the topic about SB Schools. I found one of your post that didn't age well. Frankie and Lee were both hired at the same time, correct. Why has Coach Lee had immediate success year 1 and now year 2? Must be that he knows how to manage a quality staff. what good coaches are you speaking of at Adams? Is it the one that had absolutely no clue why his kid was ejected for kicking a Riley player while he was getting up off the ground, after breaking a 50 yard run on them? Heard he played in the JV game the following week (Solid coaches), or was it their DC who I heard stood with an IPAD waiting for a ref to come out of the locker room and then followed him to the parking lot this (past game?).  This the same DC who Riley ran for 300 on his defense? They were fortunate Riley cost themselves multiple penalties that moved the ball for them or stopped their own drives (Riley). Otherwise the game would have been 50-0. Tape doesn't lie you can find it on youtube (game of the week 46) you can check the receipts.

I know you must be related in some way or think because someone was a tight end coach at a powerhouse school who didn't miss a beat when he left. But, lets real it back in a bit and give these coaches a pat on the back. These same kids were running the team before they got there.

21 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Friday, Sep. 29

Elkhart at Adams ©, 7 pm: Not much to say, Adams is not that good.

LaVille at Glenn, 7 pm: I think LaVille is just a touch better than Glenn

Marian at Angola, 7 pm: Marian's woes continue

Prairie Heights at Bremen, 7:30 pm: I don't know anything about PH, so Bremen. 

Riley at New Prairie, 7:30 pm: Riley finds out just how good they are, either a pretender or contender. 

St. Joseph at Penn ©, 7 pm: St. Joe drops a shocker to Elkhart, Penn gets the job done at home. 

Washington at Jimtown ©, 7 pm: Jimtown is a better team. 

Saturday, Sep. 30

North Newton at Clay, 1 pm: Don't know anything about NN, but the poor guys at Clay, find another way to drop a game. 

Sadly, Clay could not overcome the Jimtown JV team in a close battle on last Saturday.  I feel for those kids. 

So what's Riley's identity? Run or Pass first? They've had some good athletes at the receiver and running back positions that last handful of years, but haven't quite established what they want to be yet. I'm sure the coaches are going to throw the entire playbook at the Cougars and wouldn't be surprised to see a few trick plays early and often. 

As a Penn fan, the play the schedule given moto is very real. There have been years where we have been a great team that played a weak schedule and years we have been really bad and played very tough schedules. 

I think that the Riley coach deserves to be considered the front runner for Coach of the Year, even if there isn't an actual award. 

In the past 10 football seasons, including the short season, Riley has gone 36-64. During this time they have had 4 different coaches. 

They have had:

5 losing seasons: 2014: 1-9, 2015: 1-10, 2016: 2-8, 2020: 3-7, 2021: 1-6

3 .500 seasons: 2013: 5-5, 2019: 5-5, 2022: 5-5

2 winning seasons: 2017: 7-4, 2018: 6-5

To me a program that has a lot of turn over at the HC position and has a big history of losing, should be recognized for their historic achievement. Riley ends the season with two of the three games are winnable games. The NP game is their best test as of yet, and if they can notch this win, this will likely be the best Riley team to ever take a football field. 

Since 1994 Riley has not started a season 6-0. The closest they got was a 4-0 in 95 when they lost a close game to Mishawaka. If they had beat Mishawaka they would have gone undefeated into the Penn game in week 8.

22 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

• Apprentice

I don't think you can include Adams in the group.  I feel that with their new AD and numerous good coaches, they will be able to compete  with the big boys in the future.

****lol, I'm not even going to comment about Coach of the Year*** But, while we are on the topic about SB Schools. I found one of your post that didn't age well. Frankie and Lee were both hired at the same time, correct. Why has Coach Lee had immediate success year 1 and now year 2? Must be that he knows how to manage a quality staff. what good coaches are you speaking of at Adams? Is it the one that had absolutely no clue why his kid was ejected for kicking a Riley player while he was getting up off the ground, after breaking a 50 yard run on them? Heard he played in the JV game the following week (Solid coaches), or was it their DC who I heard stood with an IPAD waiting for a ref to come out of the locker room and then followed him to the parking lot this (past game?).  This the same DC who Riley ran for 300 on his defense? They were fortunate Riley cost themselves multiple penalties that moved the ball for them or stopped their own drives (Riley). Otherwise the game would have been 50-0. Tape doesn't lie you can find it on youtube (game of the week 46) you can check the receipts.

I know you must be related in some way or think because someone was a tight end coach at a powerhouse school who didn't miss a beat when he left. But, lets real it back in a bit and give these coaches a pat on the back. These same kids were running the team before they got there.

Not sure how what I said got pulled into this because clearly you are not talking to me. 

Elkhart at Adams- Absolutely no way Adams even competes in this game. Will they have their upperclassmen or will Frankie have to field multiple freshmen. DC contributions were no where to be found last week. Quality coaching had the defense looking like ND on the final play the entire game. Will he be serving a suspension this week after his antics after the game? Elkhart takes this one 42-0

LaVille at Glenn intriguing match up here. Laville 5-1 travels into Falcon country who are 4-2. Laville seemed to play Knox tough to the final minute. The question is do they have anyone who can lock down #14 and can the rest contain #3. Can the Falcon defense stop the Triple Threat Plummer. Plummer Kicks, throws and runs one in to keep Laville Close. Falcons 28 Laville 24.

Marian at Angola- This one is a tough one. You have the 2-4 Knights against an 0-6 Angola. Angola has played a fairly strong schedule losing to the 4-2 Falcons in the final seconds, losing to 5-1 Lakeland by 1, and putting 4 scores on a tough 6-0 West Noble squad. Has the Dragoon Trail Kingdom Fallen? No one was talking about their tough schedule when they were beating their cross town rivals and the Kingdom from Osceola. Can the Knights re-group this season and make a sectional run? Their Saftey play and big play ability has fallen drastically since Atkinson graduated. Take Atkinson away from those few years and Marian would have had the same results of the past two seasons. Angola 28 Marian 21

Riley at New Prairie- #13 versus #10 this week. Riley's opponents are 13-23 and NP Opponents are 9-27. NP is favored to win by 10. Can Riley's explosive and stout front 7 force NP to get out of their comfort zone and start airing it out? Rileys starting defense has given up less then 3 points per game and less then 1 yard per carry to opposing defenses. They are no stranger to running QB's this season and have shut down everyone they have faced. On offense can Riley's fairly big line get push up front and create run lanes? New Prairie isn't as big up front as past years. Can Marshall find a lane and explode through it before the front 7 closes in? Can NP defense keep up with Riley's speed at receiver? NP chose this one for their Homecoming. One would assume they circled this one as winnable over next weeks home game against Penn. Most would disagree but I'm taking Riley 27 NP 10

St. Joseph at Penn- STJ defense is too undisciplined to slow down Penn's ground and pound. Penn gets some needed practice in the secondary this game. The JV unit comes in before the end of the 3rd quarter. Penn 42- STJ 0

Washington at Jimtown- Can Wash get the offense going early? QB seems to be able to hit the quick game fairly accurately. But, their facing a stack team that will eliminate the short throws. Wash QB has to be able to throw down field and the Run game has to able to get north/south. Can Jimtown get Wash's LB's starring in the backfield in their wing T. Jimtown 35-Wash 21

North Newton at Clay- Battle of the win-less. Have no idea where North Newton is. This one is winnable for Clay. Can their coaches keep things organized and stick to what is working? Clay 21- North Newton 14

2 hours ago, Bucksweep22 said:

Riley at New Prairie- #13 versus #10 this week. Riley's opponents are 13-23 and NP Opponents are 9-27. NP is favored to win by 10. Can Riley's explosive and stout front 7 force NP to get out of their comfort zone and start airing it out? Rileys starting defense has given up less then 3 points per game and less then 1 yard per carry to opposing defenses. They are no stranger to running QB's this season and have shut down everyone they have faced. On offense can Riley's fairly big line get push up front and create run lanes? New Prairie isn't as big up front as past years. Can Marshall find a lane and explode through it before the front 7 closes in? Can NP defense keep up with Riley's speed at receiver? NP chose this one for their Homecoming. One would assume they circled this one as winnable over next weeks home game against Penn. Most would disagree but I'm taking Riley 27 NP 10

While I wouldn't be completely shocked if this is a tight game or even Riley comes away with a win; but this is a pretty interesting take.

I find it interesting some of the comments.  A coach comes in and if I recall won 1 game in 3 years.  Is he a good fit for Riley?  So far sounds it plus a coupe of kids who came in with their dad, a coach, helped.  The NP line may not be their biggest but the strength in their upper body and arms I took notice when we played them.  The have to be discipline enough to stop the NP QB but there are other weapons there.  So you cannot focus on one but it is the main one.  I have only read about RIley.  So have to say it does sound like the best SB team since the WHS team that made it to state,  This game will be a good indication until Riley gets to the sectional round. (Northridge, Northwood, Logansport, Plymouth, St. Joe, Washington, and Wawasee).  But the game will be played on a nice night for football and see how it all plays out.

16 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

I find it interesting some of the comments.  A coach comes in and if I recall won 1 game in 3 years.  Is he a good fit for Riley?  So far sounds it plus a coupe of kids who came in with their dad, a coach, helped.  The NP line may not be their biggest but the strength in their upper body and arms I took notice when we played them.  The have to be discipline enough to stop the NP QB but there are other weapons there.  So you cannot focus on one but it is the main one.  I have only read about RIley.  So have to say it does sound like the best SB team since the WHS team that made it to state,  This game will be a good indication until Riley gets to the sectional round. (Northridge, Northwood, Logansport, Plymouth, St. Joe, Washington, and Wawasee).  But the game will be played on a nice night for football and see how it all plays out.

Definitely one of the smallest lines NP has had in a long time. The strength coach does an excellent job at the school not only with the football team but all sports. The line does a great job of pulling, trapping and getting to their assignments. 

I think the only way Riley has a chance in this game is if they come out and do what St Joe did to the cougars with the short to mid range passes. I’m probably in the minority here but I look for the cougars to win this game fairly comfortably.

2 hours ago, Rocket said:

Definitely one of the smallest lines NP has had in a long time. The strength coach does an excellent job at the school not only with the football team but all sports. The line does a great job of pulling, trapping and getting to their assignments. 

I think the only way Riley has a chance in this game is if they come out and do what St Joe did to the cougars with the short to mid range passes. I’m probably in the minority here but I look for the cougars to win this game fairly comfortably.

I assume that the NP coaches will have the boys focused on the game at hand, but kids are kids and it is easy to write off a team that is historically bad and think you will cruise through to the win. With the Penn game looming at home next week for NP, this Riley game could become a trap game. 

Amzie Miller Field has become one of the toughest places to come away with a win in Michiana the last decade. With homecoming, 5-1 vs 6-0, and a beautiful night, it will be interesting to see how Riley handles an engaged environment. My guess is Riley is going to come out of the gates trying to hit the homerun or with some trickery to get their kids believing. 

1 hour ago, npcougar15 said:

Amzie Miller Field has become one of the toughest places to come away with a win in Michiana the last decade. With homecoming, 5-1 vs 6-0, and a beautiful night, it will be interesting to see how Riley handles an engaged environment. My guess is Riley is going to come out of the gates trying to hit the homerun or with some trickery to get their kids believing. 

Most South Bend teams in years past who have had good teams were still mentally soft. Force a turnover, block a punt or house a kickoff and they fall apart. 

Idk if this Riley team breaks that mold, but if NP can score fast or force a turnover and score fast, we will see what Riley is made of. 

Look forward to hearing score updates over the insanely loud pa system at Freed Field tonight.

Riley vs. NP: First let me say; Riley has a real good ball club, I think they are going to roll past Bremen and Jimtown - They are legit. And honestly I wouldn't want to face them in the sectionals either. The kind of team you would want/expect out of a south bend school. Their run defense is legit, they were in the backfield and attacking the point of line of scrimmage all night long. Cougars rushed for only 81 yards on 31 carries - NP did have a 25 yard run on the their first play of scrimmage so you take away that and Riley essentially shut down the cougars run game. But on the flip side Riley sold out on the run which led to some wide open receivers. Cougars threw for a school record of 306 yards on 9/17 passes, and honestly there were some dropped balls where it could easily been more. NP left some points on the boards; badly missed chip shot field goal, and fumbled snap exchange on first and goal from the 2 on the second drive of the game, Riley just didn't have the offense to keep up. Riley was penalized for holding calls, especially early on, I think that was just a by-product of the competition they have played prior to the game. Overall I came away impressed with Riley, especially their front 7 attacking all game long. 

• Like 1