Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Uniform Question

Maynard111

Question

We had a player from the visiting team ordered by the crew to cover his knees completely.

As the player was coming to the sidelines he's all WTF'ing and "I've been wearing them this way all f'ing season (to his coaches) 
The officials did make sure that he knew he wasn't playing unless his pads covered his knees and that the coaches were reminded that this was covered in pre-game.

I was under the impression the knees being covered was always a requirement.

Are the players complaints a result of other crews not enforcing the requirements?

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Maynard111 said:

Are the players complaints a result of other crews not enforcing the requirements?

IMO, this is one of the unintended — and negative — consequences of the coaches’ vote system of advancement. There are crews out there who believe, rightly or wrongly, that enforcing the uniform rules as we’re supposed to has a negative impact on their coaches’ vote. So, they look the other way when a kid comes out for warmups with his face painted like he’s auditioning for a role in Braveheart, or with pants that don’t even qualify as Bermuda shorts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, Maynard111 said:

We had a player from the visiting team ordered by the crew to cover his knees completely.

As the player was coming to the sidelines he's all WTF'ing and "I've been wearing them this way all f'ing season (to his coaches) 
The officials did make sure that he knew he wasn't playing unless his pads covered his knees and that the coaches were reminded that this was covered in pre-game.

Long story short, yes. The only time a kid has ever gotten “away” with it for us is if he shows us he has tried and he keeps trying to keep them down. Manufacturers are the ones that keep making them shorter.

Also, with that being said. I hate being the fashion police. Pants, jerseys,  one strip of eye black. It just pisses players and coaches off before we start due to not everyone enforcing it.  

• Like 2

The knee pad thing is the hardest for coaches because of the way the pants are made....because the pants may be getting on in years....for smaller schools, you may have several longer kids and only so many "long" pants....its hard.  We always appreciate a crew that will work with us on knee pads. 

For the life of me I can't imagine playing without my knees covered...but the kids are used to it because we still allow "Contact" all summer in just shells.  I don't get how one is allowed but on Friday night its a huge safety issue.

I know the men in stripes hate the issue as much as the coaches, its the most frustrating of the "uniform" rule issues...(outside of opponents that still wear white numbers on white jerseys.😡)

• Like 1

Are some of the kids wearing what might be referred to as "kicker pants?"  I've noticed more and more kickers with pants that come down to right above the knee ... although my son's a kicker and still wears his stuff "old school."  I assumed that, more psychological than physical, the leg was "freer" and able to do a very specific activity "better."  Haven't seen any issues with those on linemen, probably for the reason @US31 implied ... it just seems nuts to be on the line without pads on the knees and anywhere else you can get them.  Mainly have seen it with ball carriers; mainly receivers.  Not sure if they think it makes them faster ... or heck, maybe it actually does.  All I know, being a lineman, is that no one, including me, would take me seriously arguing that knee pads were slowing me down.  It was the stuff above my belt and under my tail pad that earned me the nickname "Ice Wagon."

• Haha 4

I absolutely HATE being the "Uniform Policeman"...   But every week when I see crews allowing untucked jerseys, and no regard for covered knees (prior to the action), its' a disgraceful situation...IMO. 

I don't get bent out of shape about BIG guys on the LOS...  Who knows what sizes the schools orders for the average sized kid at this time of their life?  

Tinted Face Shields... Excessive eye black (we play at night mostly....ugh).  The allowance of the rib protector to be sticking out, is stupid.  I have read of situations where a kid has fallen on that and gotten a laceration of an internal organ.  It may seem fashionable to some, but it is extremally dangerous to have it not covered by the jersey completely.  

Allowing the play card to be on the waist, and NOT reminding that it is to be located on the forearm(s).   

As I alluded to with the beginning of MY rant...  It would be great if crews (officials) just tried to conform to the UNIFORMITY of what a UNFORM should be at this level of sport. 

I'll just wait for the next 2 weeks to come, and the BITCHING of assignments/evaluations will start all over again within our fraternity, and I'll (wash/rinse and) repeat the things that I say each and every year to them regarding the SIMPLEST of things that could allow them to advance.....far beyond being the UNIFORM POLICE.  

• Like 3

On 10/1/2023 at 9:07 AM, Maynard111 said:

It's a problem with some of the hot dogs that want to look cool. It's not NCAA or NFL you little jag, cover your knees or get the flag. If the officials are not checking it they are not doing their jobs. Some coaches will argue the rule and encourage the practice. Why I do not know why... I have heard lame a$$ed s**t such as the pants are not long enough, not designed for knee pads, and uncomfortable.  Quit pushing boundaries! I don't care how many studies you have in your hip pocket tha the pads off NO protection. Its a rule until the NFHS decides to change it.

On 10/1/2023 at 11:01 AM, Bobref said:

IMO, this is one of the unintended — and negative — consequences of the coaches’ vote system of advancement. There are crews out there who believe, rightly or wrongly, that enforcing the uniform rules as we’re supposed to has a negative impact on their coaches’ vote. So, they look the other way when a kid comes out for warmups with his face painted like he’s auditioning for a role in Braveheart, or with pants that don’t even qualify as Bermuda shorts.

Well said about that face paint... I was done with it when it started bleeding over into MS Track! Kids faces pained up like the Endman in a Minstrel Show!