Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

5 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

IFCA All State players are selected by region regardless of class size. The coaches in a specific region get together and nominate their players and give a spiel on why the player is deserving and then all of the coaches vote. When fans wonder why player xyz did not make the team, sometimes it is as simple as the coach didn't show up to represent. Other times it is due to better players at the specific position. 

Can't speak on the AP process.

I believe the IFCA regions require that a certain number of the players be from 1A & 2A schools so the teams are not completely dominated by kids from larger schools.  And the players for the annual all-star game are selected from the IFCA list of region all-stars. 

In addition to this list, there is also an AP All-State by class and a Coaches All-State by class.  I assume both of those have representatives scattered around the state who vote. 

Interesting that all of these all-state teams are done by position.

1 hour ago, FarmerFran said:

IFCA All State players are selected by region regardless of class size. The coaches in a specific region get together and nominate their players and give a spiel on why the player is deserving and then all of the coaches vote. When fans wonder why player xyz did not make the team, sometimes it is as simple as the coach didn't show up to represent. Other times it is due to better players at the specific position. 

Can't speak on the AP process.

What region are we in?

I believe they are confusing All-Stars and All-State.

All-Stars are required to have so many 1A and 2A players on the North/South Teams. There is no minimum on actual region teams.

All-State is usually selected based on Sectionals then nominated up from those reps.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CoachDurham said:

All-Stars are required to have so many 1A and 2A players on the North/South Teams. There is no minimum on actual region teams.

All-State is usually selected based on Sectionals then nominated up from those reps.

Thanks Coach!  So all state teams can be from any class but north/south all star teams must include all classes?  I could have sworn I saw a list of all state selections for just 1a

13 minutes ago, Oldschool said:

Thanks Coach!  So all state teams can be from any class but north/south all star teams must include all classes?  I could have sworn I saw a list of all state selections for just 1a

There are 13 All State teams. 1A-6A (Senior All State and Junior All State) and a Top 50 for the IFCA. But it is not done by Region. Each Sectional has a rep, so the schools nominate their selected players to the Sectional rep, and then the Sectional Rep takes them to the State Level to pick the 1A-6A teams and Top 50

If you make Top 50, you are not eligible to make your class All-State team.

https://ifca.net/all-state-teams/

North South All-Star Teams are done by Region.

53 minutes ago, CoachDurham said:

Good to know, Coach!  Thanks for straightening me out!  This actually makes a selection to the all-region team from 1A & 2A schools mean a lot more!  

On 10/10/2023 at 10:03 AM, FinePrint said:

The Judson / Pioneer game should be a good one, but it really doesn't matter who wins it.  Next week is when it matters.  I found it interesting that the frosh QB started last Friday rather than Hill.  Is he the QB going forward?  Or should we expect Rans back this week?

The Triton / Winamac game will be much closer than some might expect.  Winamac is a different team these last few games.  I would guess maybe a 2 score game, especially with rainy weather on Friday night.  Shively is much more effective when the playing conditions are favorable.  

What will hurt Winamac will be losing Jadon Jones to a season ending injury. 

I also think the last two weeks Winamac has been very turnover prone and no offense to West Central or Caston but Winamac has that many they'd lose by 5 or 6 tds to Triton. They'll have to really clean it up and someone besides Bucinski will have to carry the ball now with Jones out. 

Edited by hondo17

6 hours ago, hondo17 said:

What will hurt Winamac will be losing Jadon Jones to a season ending injury. 

I also think the last two weeks Winamac has been very turnover prone and no offense to West Central or Caston but Winamac has that many they'd lose by 5 or 6 tds to Triton. They'll have to really clean it up and someone besides Bucinski will have to carry the ball now with Jones out. 

What happened to Jones?

Not to get off topic from the Jones injury, but did anyone watch the Laville and North Judson game in person? Was the officiating as bad as it looked? Multiple times I felt like Laville didn't have enough people on the line, looked like lots of confusion after calls, and sometimes calling something, moving the ball, and then moving it back. Clock running when it isn't supposed to, clock not running when it should be running. Tough to watch in a big game like that.

26 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

Not to get off topic from the Jones injury, but did anyone watch the Laville and North Judson game in person? Was the officiating as bad as it looked? Multiple times I felt like Laville didn't have enough people on the line, looked like lots of confusion after calls, and sometimes calling something, moving the ball, and then moving it back. Clock running when it isn't supposed to, clock not running when it should be running. Tough to watch in a big game like that.

Lost a ref early to an injury.  When that happens generally things go South. I don’t think they were bad calls in general, just decision making took a while.  Clock situation was not on the refs, sure they were as frustrated.  It wasn’t one sided so not home field intentional- it ran regardless who had the ball.  Just one of those bizarre games that left both sides a little bamboozled. Clock would start before ball set, ref would move ball, clock still ticking….it was one for the memory books🤪

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lancernation said:

Lost a ref early to an injury.  When that happens generally things go South. I don’t think they were bad calls in general, just decision making took a while.  Clock situation was not on the refs, sure they were as frustrated.  It wasn’t one sided so not home field intentional- it ran regardless who had the ball.  Just one of those bizarre games that left both sides a little bamboozled. Clock would start before ball set, ref would move ball, clock still ticking….it was one for the memory books🤪

Agreed, it wasn't one sided either way. The refs jus really struggled and it killed the pace of the game.

It's also one of the first high school football games where I don't remember a holding flag was called on either side. 

• Like 1

Culver at LaVille

Not a whole lot to say about this matchup. I think for the Lancers they need to keep guys healthy. Lancer Field's drainage sucks and is going to be a mess. Work the younger guys in and keep varsity guys healthy. Lancers 42 Culver 0

Knox at Caston

I have been impressed with Caston all season. I wish they had a few more guys around them because they have a ton of heart and have played tough all season. I have said from the beginning that Caston could potentially have a huge game and I have that feeling that come next week, this game is going to only help them regardless of the outcome. Knox gets the young guys in second half to see what depth they have because next week is go time for them. Knox 42 Caston 0 

Judson at Pioneer

Honestly do not know what to say about this game because it matters, but it doesn't. It matters because of the conference standings, but it doesn't matter because they play next week. The only thing we know is that The Pit is going to be a mud bowl. I think the outcome will be the outcome in this game. 

Triton at Winamac

I think I was surprised by the outcome of this. I think Oldschool said it last week and it wasn't the same Triton team we have seen. It seemed just seemed like something was missing last week for Triton and I can't seem to figure out what it was. Winamac has gotten much better since the changes, but it sounds like they will be down with Jones out in concussion protocol. Triton gets back on track this week and regains their confidence running the ball. Triton 35 Winamac 12 

On 10/9/2023 at 2:10 PM, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Season has flat flown by . . . .

Here we go for Week 9 of the HNAC season.

Culver at LaVille

Knox at Caston

North Judson at Pioneer

Triton at Winamac

How do the Bluejays and the Panthers play this one since they drew each other in the first round of the IHSAA state tournament?
Or does it matter?  Both tied at 3-3 in the HNAC standings headed into the final week of the season. Placement in the conference standings up for grabs.

How you all playing this one?

What say you?

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

Laville 42-0

Knox 42-0

Triton 35-7

NJ 21-20

Culver at LaVille - Despite the weather, this should be a good senior night for the LaVille crowd.  Hoping everyone stays health as LaVille romps over the Cavs.  Lancers 51-0

Knox at Caston - This will be decided early and finish with a running clock.  McLaughlin will have a crazy big night!  (Isn't is incredible what that guy has done!  School career rushing record in his sophomore season!  Wow!)  Six TD's and 5 conversions.  Redskins 46-0

North Judson at Pioneer - Getting Toloza back is great for the Panthers!  And this week should help the frosh QB get a little more comfortable under center.  You always want to win every game, but this week is about preparing for next week.  However, I think Pioneer will play with a little more intensity at home and win this one by going 2-3 on 2 point conversions, ending the Jay's regular season with a disappointing 4-5 record.  Panthers 22-21

Triton at Winamac - After pummeling Culver and handing West Central their only loss, it sounds like the Warriors had a little trouble hanging onto the ball last week against Caston.  It could have been a much larger margin.  Unfortunately Winamac got a nasty draw having to head to Lafayette to meet up with the LCC Knights.  That won't go well.  So this week is Winamac's chance to turn some heads.  I think they'll play inspired ball and make this a decent game, even without their main RB.  But Triton should have plenty of weapons to take this one on the road.  Trojans 28-14

11 hours ago, FinePrint said:

Culver at LaVille - Despite the weather, this should be a good senior night for the LaVille crowd.  Hoping everyone stays health as LaVille romps over the Cavs.  Lancers 51-0

Knox at Caston - This will be decided early and finish with a running clock.  McLaughlin will have a crazy big night!  (Isn't is incredible what that guy has done!  School career rushing record in his sophomore season!  Wow!)  Six TD's and 5 conversions.  Redskins 46-0

North Judson at Pioneer - Getting Toloza back is great for the Panthers!  And this week should help the frosh QB get a little more comfortable under center.  You always want to win every game, but this week is about preparing for next week.  However, I think Pioneer will play with a little more intensity at home and win this one by going 2-3 on 2 point conversions, ending the Jay's regular season with a disappointing 4-5 record.  Panthers 22-21

Triton at Winamac - After pummeling Culver and handing West Central their only loss, it sounds like the Warriors had a little trouble hanging onto the ball last week against Caston.  It could have been a much larger margin.  Unfortunately Winamac got a nasty draw having to head to Lafayette to meet up with the LCC Knights.  That won't go well.  So this week is Winamac's chance to turn some heads.  I think they'll play inspired ball and make this a decent game, even without their main RB.  But Triton should have plenty of weapons to take this one on the road.  Trojans 28-14

It wouldn't shock me to see Triton at Semi State.  May, Shively and Prater are super athletic, really impressed with Renforth and #52 defensively. 

I'd say outside of the first Q, Winamacs defense held pretty strong. They've just been struggling with turnovers.

• Like 1

HOOSIER NORTH
ALL TIMES EASTERN
  CONFERENCE ALL GAMES
  W-L Pts OP W-L Pts OP Streak
Knox 7-0 283 54 9-  0 366 98 Won 9
LaVille 6-1 213 82 8-  1 261 119 Won 3
Triton 5-2 213 113 6-  3 264 147 Won 1
North Judson 4-3 198 112 5-  4 276 162 Won 1
Pioneer 3-4 168 153 5-  4 225 187 Lost 1
Winamac 2-5 93 210 3-  6 129 260 Lost 1
Caston 1-6 104 245 1-  8 122 283 Lost 2
Culver 0-7 50 353 0-  9 90 449 Lost 10

Here are the final conference standings.  I think my biggest surprise is seeing North Judson at 4-3 in the conference.  They played everyone tough and could have easily won a couple more with some breaks going their way.  LaVille found a way to win some really close games and came up just short against Knox.  But congrats to Knox for running the table and taking home the hardware.  Most of us thought they would be right up near the top, but they proved to be better than I expected.  

Triton beating NJ like they did was probably the most surprising single game outcome for me.  If they meet again it won't go like that a second time!  Even though Sagarin has Triton a score or so better than both Judson and Pioneer (and ahead of LaVille), I think Sectional 41 is a toss up for any of those three.  I believe the Trojans would get either Pioneer or North Judson at home in the sectional final, so that might give Triton a bit of an edge.

Overall, the final year of the current HNAC configuration was a really competitive year!  Maybe the most balanced year since the formation of the conference.  It was really a lot of fun following the games each week!  Good luck to all teams in their sectionals, and to Knox and LaVille as they join the INSC beginning next year!