Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Post Season FB Seeding

Absolutely should be seeded.

I've never understood why Indiana does this. I'm all for an "all-in" tournament but moving on in sectional and playing extra games should be earned.

It happens all too often that a team can have a great regular season only to turn in equipment after the first round because they drew the team they should be playing in the final... Not exactly luck of the draw. 

This year there are teams that have only won 1 game getting the bye. That should not happen ever. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cloudofdust said:

Absolutely should be seeded.

I've never understood why Indiana does this. I'm all for an "all-in" tournament but moving on in sectional and playing extra games should be earned.

It happens all too often that a team can have a great regular season only to turn in equipment after the first round because they drew the team they should be playing in the final... Not exactly luck of the draw. 

This year there are teams that have only won 1 game getting the bye. That should not happen ever. 

Well the commissioner liked that in the interview. Pretty frustrating as that doesn't align with Hoosier values in my opinion. Though my opinion has no weight or value.

The best teams have earned their right to advance for the opportunity to play for the sectional championship. Ben Davis or Brownsburg is packing up after the first round despite building a nationally ranked program. Shame on the IHSAA. 

1 hour ago, oldtimeqb said:

Is it safe to say all individual sports (wrestling, track, swimming, XC) are seeded but team sports are not? 

It’s probably the “do it for one, do it for all” that is preventing it. 

But no other sport has 6 classes either 

I’m not aware of any sport seeding the teams/participants except for wrestling. Unless something has changed since my high school days in the mid-2000s, I was on the track team and we never had seeding for any meets (regular season or postseason).

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I’m not aware of any sport seeding the teams/participants except for wrestling. Unless something has changed since my high school days in the mid-2000s, I was on the track team and we never had seeding for any meets (regular season or postseason).

True but aren’t there minimum times to qualify?

3 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

I'm pretty sure that track seeds individual events--giving preferential lane and heat assignments to the best times and field event marks. I'm pretty sure swimming does this, too. I don't think there's any way to seed teams, just individuals.

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

For sectionals, there used to be qualifying marks way back in the old days, but for the last 30 years or so, I believe schools have been allotted 2 individuals per event and 1 relay team, unless they had 3 or more individuals meet the state meet qualifying standard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes and you are placed in a lane for your prelim heat based on your qualifying time. The fastest swimmers in the middle. The top 8 prelim times make the championship final and the next 8 make the consolation final.

One thing with swimming though is the sectionals are regional. If you are in the sectional with Carmel, you are very unlikely to have anyone qualify for state unless you get one of the very few wildcard spots. You could finish second in the sectional championship heat behind a Carmel swimmer and not qualify while your time would have won a dozen other sectionals.

13 minutes ago, Bullhorn99 said:

I'm pretty sure that track seeds individual events--giving preferential lane and heat assignments to the best times and field event marks. I'm pretty sure swimming does this, too. I don't think there's any way to seed teams, just individuals.

For sectionals, there used to be qualifying marks way back in the old days, but for the last 30 years or so, I believe schools have been allotted 2 individuals per event and 1 relay team, unless they had 3 or more individuals meet the state meet qualifying standard.

@Bullhorn99 is correct although I never heard the term “seeding” used to assign lanes. I guess it’s technically not incorrect because it is indeed a seeding of sorts. Just wasn’t a term that was used.

3 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

The individuals are seeded in events in track and swimming and receive preferred lanes/spots in the throwing/jumping order at the sectional level.  Then tournament performances determine those placements going forward for the other two rounds (regionals/state).

No.  Two per event per school unless a third has hit the automatic standard.

17 minutes ago, JustRules said:

Yes and you are placed in a lane for your prelim heat based on your qualifying time. The fastest swimmers in the middle. The top 8 prelim times make the championship final and the next 8 make the consolation final.

One thing with swimming though is the sectionals are regional. If you are in the sectional with Carmel, you are very unlikely to have anyone qualify for state unless you get one of the very few wildcard spots. You could finish second in the sectional championship heat behind a Carmel swimmer and not qualify while your time would have won a dozen other sectionals.

Yes, swimming is brutal.  Gotta win or hit the automatic qualifying standard.

16 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

@Bullhorn99 is correct although I never heard the term “seeding” used to assign lanes. I guess it’s technically not incorrect because it is indeed a seeding of sorts. Just wasn’t a term that was used.

The IHSAA Spring bulletin has 4 pages describing the seeding process for track.  Pages 80-84 under the headline XVII. Seeding 

You may have never heard it used in that manner before but technically it is correct. 

https://www.ihsaa.org/sites/default/files/documents/Spring Bulletin.pdf

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

The IHSAA Spring bulletin has 4 pages describing the seeding process for track.  Pages 80-84 under the headline XVII. Seeding 

You may have never heard it used in that manner before but technically it is correct. 

https://www.ihsaa.org/sites/default/files/documents/Spring Bulletin.pdf

Just out of curiosity, how long has this term been in use? It’ll be 17 years next May since I’ve been in high school. Not saying you are wrong or anything. If it was in use by the IHSAA at the time, I’m just surprised that the term wasn’t used by my team and coaches and that it was never used in any conversations I had with opponents or overheard when I participated.

Edited by Frozen Tundra

12 hours ago, Rodney said:

who cares, win the game or go home.

what's the difference between losing round one and round four

I applaud your attempt at getting responses.

When you are a player, coach, parent or fan and the end of your season is potentially determined by a random draw the extra games mean more than you seem to know. Especially to seniors, who most will never play the game again.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Just out of curiosity, how long has this term been in use? It’ll be 17 years next May since I’ve been in high school. Not saying you are wrong or anything. If it was in use by the IHSAA at the time, I’m just surprised that the term wasn’t used by my team and coaches and that it was never used in any conversations I had with opponents or overheard when I participated.

I was a track athlete in the 90s and coached it from 2000….”seeding” was a commonly used term my entire life.

Edited by US31
  • Like 1