Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Notre Dame 2023

Bobref

2 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Somebody has to do it.

couldn't agree more

Are you disappointed in your choice to decline the GID offer of moderation from a few years back?   I can put in a good word for ya if you have a different notion this time around 🙂

P.S.   I have personally spoken with the esteemed sir, @Bobref MANY TIMES over live and in person, he was there when I almost lost my eye ball at Gary Wirt in 2009 (what a halloween party going in and around our locker room that night too btw) all the way to even last year when he got a delicious Bomber Sandwich at Twin Lakes H.S.  So, I am sure he will forgive my transgressions.   

5 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Are you disappointed in your choice to decline the GID offer of moderation from a few years back?   I can put in a good word for ya if you have a different notion this time around 🙂

I think it was the best decision I could have made for the GID's sake LOL! But I always got yer guys's back!

• Haha 1

Just now, Bobref said:

I bet most of the people reading this don’t know what you’re talking about. … But I do.

I knew you would!

Well, Anthony Davis didn't show up for the Trojans, but the Irish defense sure showed up!

And it looks like Marcus Freeman learned how to coach this week, or maybe he took lessons.  Maybe a bit premature to question his coaching talents.

GO IRISH!

• Like 1

Our blood enemies have been vanquished. Always nice to send those punks back to La La Land with their tails tucked between their legs. Now, use this as a springboard to finish the season strong. We’ve got several items on the agenda, and the one I am most looking forward to is wiping that smug expression off Dabo’s face in a few weeks.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bobref said:

Our blood enemies have been vanquished. Always nice to send those punks back to La La Land with their tails tucked between their legs. Now, use this as a springboard to finish the season strong. We’ve got several items on the agenda, and the one I am most looking forward to is wiping that smug expression off Dabo’s face in a few weeks.

As much as I hate Note Dame I'm pulling for Marcus Freeman. I guess I enjoyed seeing ND take down Troy.

The one knock I keep hearing on Caleb Williams is that his ability to make plays diminishes against good defenses and he'll end up hurting you. Was last night a red flag game? He had some awful INT's and decision making in general.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

As much as I hate Note Dame I'm pulling for Marcus Freeman. I guess I enjoyed seeing ND take down Troy.

The one knock I keep hearing on Caleb Williams is that his ability to make plays diminishes against good defenses and he'll end up hurting you. Was last night a red flag game? He had some awful INT's and decision making in general.

If you put money on him in Vegas to win the Heisman, you’re kicking yourself. He went from -110 to +2200 overnight. Might be worth a flier at that price.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2023 at 1:55 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

I have personally spoken with the esteemed sir, @Bobref MANY TIMES over live and in person, he was there when I almost lost my eye ball at Gary Wirt in 2009 (what a halloween party going in and around our locker room that night too btw)

Remember that night well. We dressed in the storage room where the band kept its instruments. As we were getting ready, some band kids walked in to pick up their stuff. I’m pretty sure most of them have completed the necessary psychotherapy by now.

15 hours ago, Bobref said:

image.thumb.png.7ffd9958c4eae4ac17a6e36001a09521.png

I only get two likes a day, and they're used, but I do like this!

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

If you put money on him in Vegas to win the Heisman, you’re kicking yourself. He went from -110 to +2200 overnight. Might be worth a flier at that price.

If I had a Heisman vote after last night, it would go to Xavier Watts!

• Haha 1

What a performance by the Irish defense Saturday night. Actually pressured and sacked a quarterback. Offense did just enough and the special teams stepped up when they needed to.  Now a much needed bye week and hopefully win out the final 4. Kudos to the staff for keeping guys focused and getting them up after last weeks letdown. 

On 10/15/2023 at 10:15 AM, Bobref said:

Remember that night well. We dressed in the storage room where the band kept its instruments. As we were getting ready, some band kids walked in to pick up their stuff. I’m pretty sure most of them have completed the necessary psychotherapy by now.

What a wild night !!

I have no love loss for West Coast teams either, and now that they are in B10 blah,  so I was nice to tune in late Saturday and saw the Domers doing work.  Makes me happy for my friends like @WolvesOnTheProwl

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

What a wild night !!

I have no love loss for West Coast teams either, and now that they are in B10 blah,  so I was nice to tune in late Saturday and saw the Domers doing work.  Makes me happy for my friends like @WolvesOnTheProwl

Kind of wonder how these pac 10 teams will do in the big ten dealing with the weather. USC looked cold Saturday night and that was no where near how cold it can get.  How will they do playing in the Midwest in October and November? Can Oregon and Washington and USC do what they do in the elements?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Kind of wonder how these pac 10 teams will do in the big ten dealing with the weather. USC looked cold Saturday night and that was no where near how cold it can get.  How will they do playing in the Midwest in October and November? Can Oregon and Washington and USC do what they do in the elements?

Can’t wait.  I knew the Trojans were in deep shit once I started tracking the 14 day forecast.

Finesse program.  The Big Ten will have two next year.

Edited by temptation

2 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I finally got to attend my first Notre Dame USC game a few years ago. While I love going to games at ND, this one was a different level…and awesome. One of the cool parts was Mike Collins reading the weather forecast for the game. It was rainy and cold then too, and he finishes with, “Trojan fans you are NOT in Southern California now”. Crowd went nuts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Irishman said:

I finally got to attend my first Notre Dame USC game a few years ago. While I love going to games at ND, this one was a different level…and awesome. One of the cool parts was Mike Collins reading the weather forecast for the game. It was rainy and cold then too, and he finishes with, “Trojan fans you are NOT in Southern California now”. Crowd went nuts. 

My first USC/Notre Dame game was in 1962, iirc.  That day it rained, it snowed, it sleeted some, and the sun shined, all in one game.  The Irish lost 30-0 as the Trojans were bound for the National Championship with Pete Beathard and Hal Bledsole.  They were really good!

On this day in 1924, at the famed Polo Grounds in New York one of the most iconic groups in the early 20th century happened. This group lead the Irish to a 13-7 victory over a tremendous Army team. After the game famed sportswriter Grantland Rice wrote in the New York Herald-Tribune one of the most iconic articles in sports:

‘Outlined against a blue, gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again.
In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below.’

The legend of the Four Horsemen was born.

image.png

• Like 3

On 10/18/2023 at 11:37 AM, Bobref said:

On this day in 1924, at the famed Polo Grounds in New York one of the most iconic groups in the early 20th century happened. This group lead the Irish to a 13-7 victory over a tremendous Army team. After the game famed sportswriter Grantland Rice wrote in the New York Herald-Tribune one of the most iconic articles in sports:

‘Outlined against a blue, gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again.
In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below.’

The legend of the Four Horsemen was born.

image.png

While I still lived in Indy, of the guys I would usher with at church was Michael Layden, brother of Elmer. Michael played at ND when Elmer was the coach. I had a family at one the schools I taught at in the Broad Ripple area. The kids mom was a Stuhldreher. 

Other more interesting connections….Jim Crowley was the head coach at Fordham when the 7 Blocks of Granite came up one game shy of going to the Rose Bowl. That O Line was coached by Frank Leahy. One of those 7 blocks of granite was Vincent Thomas Lombardi.