Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cory Yeoman Retires

https://www.southbendtribune.com/story/sports/high-school/football/2024/02/08/cory-yeoman-retiring-penn-football-kingsmen-indiana-ihsaa/72526774007/ 

Cory Yeoman retiring after 20+ years as HC of Penn. Congratulations to Coach Yeoman on a great career leading the Kingsmen. 

Will be interesting to see what happens here. While they've fallen off a bit in recent years, Penn still has to be considered one of the premier coaching jobs in the state. 

It will be interesting to see what approach they take with this one. Not sure if there is an heir apparent on this staff--certainly not in the way that Cory was when Gees retired at least--or if there is greater incentive to look outside of the wider Penn "family."

10 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

It will be interesting to see what approach they take with this one. Not sure if there is an heir apparent on this staff--certainly not in the way that Cory was when Gees retired at least--or if there is greater incentive to look outside of the wider Penn "family."

As a Penn guy yourself, would you prefer they look within or try for someone external?

In 40 seasons of officiating high school football in the northern part of the state, I had the pleasure of officiating Penn games many times. Coach Yeoman had many notable achievements on the field. But what stood out in my mind, what separated him from many other very successful coaches, was his class and sportsmanship. It didn’t matter what the scoreboard said, he was the same. Penn is so fortunate to have had him in a position to positively influence so many. A great coach … and a better man.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, scarab527 said:

As a Penn guy yourself, would you prefer they look within or try for someone external?

I think I'm like @GOLDRUSH1985 in that I might be leaning toward an external candidate. Ultimately, it's about getting the right guy, so, I don't have a preference. Any concerns I have are probably more with the administrative side of the upcoming search; I think it would be prudent for Cory and Gees to have some input.

There's a good chance it's an external candidate with no connection to the program. To my knowledge, there isn't an heir apparent on the staff, and I can only think of two Penn guys (around the right age) who have gone out and become head coaches elsewhere. There are certainly capable leaders on the staff now, but it might just be time for some new blood at the head of the whole operation.

Penn went and got Gees from Ohio...Go external. There has to be someone who is young with a brilliant Offensive mind that wants to bring back this giant. 

We need someone who will go back and foster the development of future Kingsmen through our Rocket league to Middle School ball. 

Even if the HC isn't directly involved the OC and DC should be hands on with the approach the teams have in development and implementation of the base offense. 

51 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

Penn went and got Gees from Ohio...Go external. There has to be someone who is young with a brilliant Offensive mind that wants to bring back this giant. 

We need someone who will go back and foster the development of future Kingsmen through our Rocket league to Middle School ball. 

Even if the HC isn't directly involved the OC and DC should be hands on with the approach the teams have in development and implementation of the base offense. 

All very good points . Penn has the facilities and resources in place for a young coach to come in and make Penn relevant(Statewide) again . As BlackGold said ,All great programs regardless of the sport, start at the youth level.

I agree with the prior two posts. Go external, but I know nothing about the talent that's already on staff. Penn is a blueblood and arguably the most successful program in the State of Indiana. There are good coaches out there with championship backgrounds who would take this position. 

Congrats to Yoeman on a tremendous run. Wins are great, and he had plenty of them. But it sounds like he was successful in defeat as well. Penn has been blessed for decades.

• Like 1

One of those good Indiana coaches I would think that Penn would be interested in would be Valparaiso's Bill Marshall, a young state championship-winning coach .  I have no idea if he would be interested, but interestingly Penn just tapped the head basketball coach from Valpo for their head job last year.  Perhaps it's karma.  

I think Penn will continue to be Penn as they have the luxury of playing in a B or C level conference.    The schools in the South Bend aren't much to speak of, Elkhart is waffling, while Concord and Mishawaka are on the fence at best.   The northern half of 6A teams isn't exactly stacked either. with only Crown Point, a Ft. Wayne school, Lafayette Jeff (and/or Harrison), and Warsaw to contend with.

Edited by Gipper
grammar!!!

1 hour ago, Gipper said:

I think Penn will continue to be Penn as they have the luxury of playing in a B or C level conference.    The schools in the South Bend aren't much to speak of, Elkhart is waffling, while Concord and Mishawaka are on the fence at best.   The northern half of 6A teams isn't exactly stacked either. with only Crown Point, a Ft. Wayne school, Lafayette Jeff (and/or Harrison), and Warsaw to contend with.

Right, we aren't arguing that... With a new person at the helm and a booster program that wants wholesale change an Exit of the NIC may be imminent. 

If Penn jumps to the DAC or goes Independent in football that will be the change the fans, boosters and players need to potentially be competitive in the grand scheme of 6A football.

Penn in the 90's was one of the dominant programs in 5A football, playing that B or C level schedule. the NIC then was no better than it is now. The only benefit of the schedule those teams had was playing Ben Davis almost yearly. The other benefit they had was Geesman. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

Could you see a coach from the Indy area coming up to go after this position? Or do you think it’ll come from the northern part of the state?

There are promising coaches that have 3A, 4A and 5A offenses producing at college levels. I think there is a coach in the Indy area that would love take on this opportunity. 

Heck could there be a really promising assistant coach at one of our colleges that would even be interested in cutting his head coaching teeth.  Penn just has to be smart in their approach and consideration of these candidates. Just going with the ho-hum same old is not going to satisfy the boosters. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BLACKGOLD2007 said:

There are promising coaches that have 3A, 4A and 5A offenses producing at college levels. I think there is a coach in the Indy area that would love take on this opportunity. 

Heck could there be a really promising assistant coach at one of our colleges that would even be interested in cutting his head coaching teeth.  Penn just has to be smart in their approach and consideration of these candidates. Just going with the ho-hum same old is not going to satisfy the boosters. 

The ball is in the hands of the administration , lets hope they don't fumble it . 

Coach Yeoman had the unenviable task of following a legend. It's not easy, but he did a fine job as the head coach of the Kingsmen. Congratulations on a great career, Coach. From all accounts, he's a first-rate human being. 

• Like 1

no sir,  that Gees had worked in Indiana previously was correct, Part of a powerhouse staff at Rensselaer in the 60's,  Coach Geesman, Coach Sidewidz, Coach Hummer, all future State Champion coaches and all in the Indiana Football Hall Of Fame.  

4 Hall of Fame Coaches on that staff, Steve Brandenburg Rensselaer also on that staff, iFCA HOF as well, but not a state champion 

Coach Geesman left Rensselaer to OHIO for the HC job before taking over PENN. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 1:14 PM, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

The ball is in the hands of the administration , lets hope they don't fumble it . 

I have little faith in the Penn AD Jeff Hart to make a good decision here. There are zero good options internally to fill the head coaching role, but one current assistant is politicking big time and it would be a travesty if he got it.

On 2/9/2024 at 9:54 AM, Jon Scott said:

One of those good Indiana coaches I would think that Penn would be interested in would be Valparaiso's Bill Marshall, a young state championship-winning coach .  I have no idea if he would be interested, but interestingly Penn just tapped the head basketball coach from Valpo for their head job last year.  Perhaps it's karma.  

Coach Marshall is a great coach and they have a great staff but why leave Valpo? He has built Valpo program to rival Penn. Valpo already in a better conference than Penn.