Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Do away with sectionals in 5 and 6A

Ever since they went to 32 teams I have felt they should do away with sectionals and just do regionals. One let’s face it ishaa is not going away from blind draw like it  or not I do not see them changing. So this would be a way to help at least in my mind.  Like BD and brownburg this year u have a 1 in 3 chance they would play first game. If you go to 8 team regionals, that goes to 1 in 7.  Not saying it would not happen but the odds are better.  Two they do not have to reinvent the wheel they regionals are already set so no more work for them. Three it would safe the ishaa money 8 less trophies they would have to buy.  Like said my opinion and we all how opinion’s on here go. Lol

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Ever since they went to 32 teams I have felt they should do away with sectionals and just do regionals. One let’s face it ishaa is not going away from blind draw like it  or not I do not see them changing. So this would be a way to help at least in my mind.  Like BD and brownburg this year u have a 1 in 3 chance they would play first game. If you go to 8 team regionals, that goes to 1 in 7.  Not saying it would not happen but the odds are better.  Two they do not have to reinvent the wheel they regionals are already set so no more work for them. Three it would safe the ishaa money 8 less trophies they would have to buy.  Like said my opinion and we all how opinion’s on here go. Lol

So, how would you determine the teams that get in?

22 minutes ago, psaboy said:

All 32 teams in each class still get in. There are four regionals from eight sectionals. The suggestion is to conduct the blind draw within each of the four regions. Pretty good suggestion, and I don't think I've seen anyone propose this before.

Edited by PDB26
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, psaboy said:

33 minutes ago, PDB26 said:

All 32 teams in each class still get in. There are four regionals from eight sectionals. The suggestion is to conduct the blind draw within each of the four regions. Pretty good suggestion, and I don't think I've seen anyone propose this before.

Yes nothing would change as far as everyone is still in

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Throw the topic at hand out the window. The IHSAA will never abolish the sectional trophy, and I don't blame them. It was a good thought though. 

I agree with you they will not but, in my opinion and for what that is worth sectional champs does not mean as much as did once.  With only 4 teams it is water down and most years you know who is going to win.  I am not sure about the north but I can tell you who with 100% faith I am right who is going to win 3pm the  4 in the south.  The one in question I still would have got right. Not by much mind you but still right.

11 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I agree with you they will not but, in my opinion and for what that is worth sectional champs does not mean as much as did once.  With only 4 teams it is water down and most years you know who is going to win.  I am not sure about the north but I can tell you who with 100% faith I am right who is going to win 3pm the  4 in the south.  The one in question I still would have got right. Not by much mind you but still right.

Under your proposal, we call the regional the "sectional" and now we're back to the old three game championship. I like it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AW0352 said:

Just a gut feeling? 

There seems to be more "talk" amongst coaches....that plus the Indystar article just gives me a feeling.  Wont know for sure until IFCA starts meeting again in the off-season.

Unlike last time the IFCA made a propasal, all the "pieces" seem to be in place now (mercy rule being the big one).

ETA: My personal preference would be to seed the sectionals top to bottom using Sagarin, with better seeds getting the first home game.  Then just playing the rest of the tournament as we have been.  I have no idea what would actually be proposed by IFCA (previous was just seed the top 2 teams in sectional).

Edited by US31

1 hour ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Maybe in 6A, but I think the guys in 5A still look at the sectional as something to be achieved.  Sectional 13, in 5A South, is not an easy pick and may turn out to be one of the more interesting sectionals.

25 minutes ago, US31 said:

There seems to be more "talk" amongst coaches....that plus the Indystar article just gives me a feeling.  Wont know for sure until IFCA starts meeting again in the off-season.

Unlike last time the IFCA made a propasal, all the "pieces" seem to be in place now (mercy rule being the big one).

ETA: My personal preference would be to seed the sectionals top to bottom using Sagarin, with better seeds getting the first home game.  Then just playing the rest of the tournament as we have been.  I have no idea what would actually be proposed by IFCA (previous was just seed the top 2 teams in sectional).

I could see using Sagarin as a guide, but not the be all end all. I'm sure the IHSAA could form a committee with a group of volunteers who'd be more than happy to determine seeds. I think solely using the Sagarin will encourage some coaches, not all, to run up scores when they shouldn't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

I could see using Sagarin as a guide, but not the be all end all. I'm sure the IHSAA could form a committee with a group of volunteers who'd be more than happy to determine seeds. I think solely using the Sagarin will encourage some coaches, not all, to run up scores when they shouldn't. 

No complaint from me on using something else....as long as it doesn't include "polls".

39 minutes ago, US31 said:

No complaint from me on using something else....as long as it doesn't include "polls".

Agree, it's hard to trust the Coaches Poll and the AP. No offense to the coaches, but I can't imagine they have much of a grip on who a legitimate Top 10 should be and in what order. Some may have a grasp on it, but many probably don't care and are more concerned with game filming for the next week. 

The AP Poll has come a long way over the years, especially recently. It used to go solely off of record. More and more it seems that they are incorporating strength of schedule as a part of their decision process. If I'm on a committee, I'm probably using Sagarin to help me as a guide for the southern part of the state. So I'd be more than happy to defer to someone on the committee who is from that area. I could see breaking the state down into eight sectors and having a rep from each of those areas. 

21 hours ago, PDB26 said:

So, seeded sectionals renamed to a bigger regional then.

2 hours ago, psaboy said:

So, seeded sectionals renamed to a bigger regional then.

You could seed within the four regionals and then reseed for the semi state if that's important, but I think @Trojanmp52's suggestion was to random draw within the four regionals. @BTF said the IHSAA would never get rid of the sectional--which makes sense to me; it's probably a more meaningful championship than the regional to more around the state--so I suggested eliminating the regional round. This would give us 6 classes with the three game sectional, and the only difference would be that the winners of 5A and 6A sectionals advance to the semi state.

• Like 1

Other sanctioned sports skip the Semi-State round - Golf, Swimming, Track, and XC I know for sure.  For 6A I think 8 team sectionals, a Regional, and then state final makes sense.  Since 6A is capped at 32 teams, it will always be a 5 game tournament and you can just group teams by 8's.  Not sure I would like that setup for any other classes.

Remember when 6A was created they had a "dead week" between semi-state and state finals?  Two weeks to prep for state finals, rather than round 1 opponent like currently.  That adjustment was made after seeing how the tournament unfolded.  I think we have seen enough 4 team sectionals at 6A to know that 8 would be better and the change should be made.   

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BTF said:

the only time they shouldn't is when they can't

1 hour ago, Rodney said:

the only time they shouldn't is when they can't

Are you still coaching at Merrillville? If not, how do you handle a situation when you're up 50 points at halftime? Do you put your second stringers in to work on depth and the next year? Or do you go for 100?

27 minutes ago, BTF said:

Are you still coaching at Merrillville? If not, how do you handle a situation when you're up 50 points at halftime? Do you put your second stringers in to work on depth and the next year? Or do you go for 100?

with a 50 point lead the game plan doesn't change, we run the ball until late in the fourth and then we start throwing

On 10/29/2023 at 5:24 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

The regionals are already set. There is no more "work" to be done after the sectional draw. Sectional 1 winner plays Sectional 2, Sectional 3 plays Sectional 4, and so on down to Sectional 47 and Sectional 48.