Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Merrillville @ FW Snider 5A North Semi-State

Looking for my Region posters, once again, for some more info on what to expect from this year's Merrillville team. Just by looking at the stats, the Pirates and Panthers seem to be quite literally the same style of team. Should be a great, physical game full of speed all over the field. Believe it will be a 7:30 EST kick-off. Looking forward to the matchup!

Not sure what to expect. I see Snider has a higher scoring O on average and looks like both D's give up about the same amount of points on average. As we see in most of these games, usually comes down to who has less penalties and turnovers, 3rd down conversions and special teams. Does M-ville have a good kicking game? That is huge key in deep playoff run.

One concern I have is Snider's secondary now after Mishawaka passed for over 300 yards. Maybe that was a result of Cavemen's run game?? How good of a passing team  are the Pirates? How does O & D line match up to Snider's? 

13 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Not sure what to expect. I see Snider has a higher scoring O on average and looks like both D's give up about the same amount of points on average. As we see in most of these games, usually comes down to who has less penalties and turnovers, 3rd down conversions and special teams. Does M-ville have a good kicking game? That is huge key in deep playoff run.

One concern I have is Snider's secondary now after Mishawaka passed for over 300 yards. Maybe that was a result of Cavemen's run game?? How good of a passing team  are the Pirates? How does O & D line match up to Snider's? 

I am not too concerned with Snider's secondary. Mishawaka has had guys running wide open all year due to everyone committing to the run. Snider has faired well against passing offenses all year, but I don't think that is what Merrillville wants to do. I have a feeling we will see a similar style to how Valpo approached the Panthers last year. 

3 minutes ago, NEI_Homer said:

I am not too concerned with Snider's secondary. Mishawaka has had guys running wide open all year due to everyone committing to the run. Snider has faired well against passing offenses all year, but I don't think that is what Merrillville wants to do. I have a feeling we will see a similar style to how Valpo approached the Panthers last year. 

Snider made sure Mishawaka's run game went nowhere with nine guys in the box. Turned out to be a record game for the quarterback. Even Snider's Iowa recruit didn't have an answer for that. 

19 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Wondering that myself, if Mishawaka exposed a weakness in the Snider D or if the run-oriented offense worked to open up the passing game that could have conceivably burned any legit D.  If Snider has done well vs. other passing schemes that may have been a one-off.

Just now, BTF said:

Snider made sure Mishawaka's run game went nowhere with nine guys in the box. Turned out to be a record game for the quarterback. Even Snider's Iowa recruit didn't have an answer for that. 

Does Merrillville being the opponent change your outlook for Snider?

You’ve been pretty doom and gloom lately and propping up Valpo (I was guilty too).

Merrillville doesn't have a JoJo Johnson or Justin Marshall this year that can take any carry/reception to the EZ, but they still have speed and lots of it at RB and WR. The Pirate Offense is much more efficient in the run game and short passing game. Their QB has zero downfield accuracy. Logan's eyes will probably pop open when he sees some of the downfield pass attempts against Valpo last week. 

2 minutes ago, Bonecrusher said:

Answered my question.  Thank you sir.

I mean, it worked. Mishawaka's run game was utterly smothered. Snider was determined that if the Cavemen scored, it wasn't going to be by burning 10 minutes off the clock. Snider had plenty of chances to score touchdowns that game, but came up short twice on 1st and goal within the five. Kudos to Mishawaka's defense for locking down. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, temptation said:

In all seriousness, though likely unfair to Merrillville in this spot, I just can’t pick them to get over the hump.

Snider wins 34-24.

Is it a surprise that a school such as Merrillville has yet to win a semi-state game? This may be a trick question. 😁 

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Does Merrillville being the opponent change your outlook for Snider?

You’ve been pretty doom and gloom lately and propping up Valpo (I was guilty too).

I've always felt, no different than last year, that Snider had the best team in 5A. They just seem to have a set back now and then. I also said a few weeks ago that Merrillville is flying under the radar. NO ONE was bringing them up in the 5A title discussion. I think they are a dangerous team. I'm also wondering if 5A south might be better than everyone is giving them credit four. I agree with you, I think any of the four remaining can win it. 

1 minute ago, psaboy said:

Is it a surprise that a school such as Merrillville has yet to win a semi-state game? This may be a trick question. 😁 

Valpo got their first since the 70's last year. Maybe this is the year of the Pirate. 

• Like 1

Just now, BTF said:

I've always felt, no different than last year, that Snider had the best team in 5A. They just seem to have a set back now and then. I also said a few weeks ago that Merrillville is flying under the radar. NO ONE was bringing them up in the 5A title discussion. I think they are a dangerous team. I'm also wondering if 5A south might be better than everyone is giving them credit four. I agree with you, I think any of the four remaining can win it. 

So, something has to give right?

Merrillville seems to always have a head scratcher too.

Cheering for the Pirates Friday night and Coach Seiss. The last time he faced Fort Wayne Snider, he was a senior All-State player and Mr. Football candidate for the Warsaw Tigers. An all-time classic matchup that night at Spuller Stadium. Sectional Semi-Finals, Warsaw was 10-0, Snider was 9-1, both ranked I believe in the top 5 for class 5A. The Panthers won the game 23-20 in overtime.

Here's to hoping Coach Seiss can exercise some demons against Snider on Friday night!

4 minutes ago, First_Backer_Inside said:

My mama said take the over in total points this game. These boys gonna light the scoreboard up!

Maybe they got it out of their system when they played Crown Point

Possible.  I just can’t get that Facebook hype man out of my mind which is probably unfair to the kids, lol.

When he spoke about a guaranteed state title a couple of years back and they proceeded to get curb stomped by Chatard, I clocked out.

Come to think of it, I have a lot of biases towards certain teams and coaches, most probably unfair, lol.

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

So, something has to give right?

Merrillville seems to always have a head scratcher too.

Don't get me wrong. Snider's a VERY well coached football team, they just seem to always hit a brick wall somewhere. Their achilles heel up until 2013 was no fault of their own. They actually made it to state six times in the big school division, old 5A. They just had to beat a mega Indy giant to host the trophy, and that was always a hard thing to accomplish. Snider had a chance to repeat in 2016, but Westfield found their way back into the game and ended that season. The 2017 team would have one 5A (wait, was Cathedral in 5A that year?), but they were in 6A that season. Last year was the most crushing defeat Snider's ever endured. I think they beat Valpo last year 9 times out of 10. This year I think they'd be an even lock at 5-5 as long as the Vikings are healthy. Without their RB1, I've got Snider 7-3. 

That being said. Merrillville's a very good football team. They've taken some hits recently over the years against Indy's best, but they're playing in their own weight class now. I think they have a good shot. 

8 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Cheering for the Pirates Friday night and Coach Seiss. The last time he faced Fort Wayne Snider, he was a senior All-State player and Mr. Football candidate for the Warsaw Tigers. An all-time classic matchup that night at Spuller Stadium. Sectional Semi-Finals, Warsaw was 10-0, Snider was 9-1, both ranked I believe in the top 5 for class 5A. The Panthers won the game 23-20 in overtime.

Here's to hoping Coach Seiss can exercise some demons against Snider on Friday night!

Warsaw jumped all over Snider 14-0 in the first quarter that game. I remember it well.

32 minutes ago, temptation said:

Possible.  I just can’t get that Facebook hype man out of my mind which is probably unfair to the kids, lol.

When he spoke about a guaranteed state title a couple of years back and they proceeded to get curb stomped by Chatard, I clocked out.

Come to think of it, I have a lot of biases towards certain teams and coaches, most probably unfair, lol.

Haha. Speaking of him, he proclaimed last week on the Region Board that everyone in the state, including The Indy Star, was calling the Merillville vs. Valpo game the 5A State Title.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Haha. Speaking of him, he proclaimed last week on the Region Board that everyone in the state, including The Indy Star, was calling the Merillville vs. Valpo game the 5A State Title.

Plot twist: Parkhurst actually hates Merrillville and his goal is to make the entire state also hate them. 

• Haha 2

Merrillville has a legit shot in this one. Good football team with speed everywhere. Their strength is their defense specifically the front 4. All four are good players.

Merrillville offensively will come down to how well their qb plays. He is a much better runner. As mentioned below, his vertical passing is more of throw and hope style. His receivers made some of those catches to beat a good Valpo defense.

Merrillville can not let this become a high scoring affair. If it’s low scoring, Merrillville has real shot on the road.