1. Ben Davis
  2. East Central
  3. Center Grove
  4. Brownsburg
  5. Bishop Chatard
  6. Cathedral
  7. Crown Point
  8. Westfield

So essentially, BD’s path would be Westfield in round 1, Brownsburg/Chatard in round 2, and then EC/CG in the final…

And that’s “if” it were seeded fairly.  I’m betting EC and Chatard would get screwed here and that doesn’t even mention the fact that southwest and northeast Indiana have ZERO representation in this “tournament.”

Not good for the sport.

14 minutes ago, temptation said:

So essentially, BD’s path would be Westfield in round 1, Brownsburg/Chatard in round 2, and then EC/CG in the final…

And that’s “if” it were seeded fairly.  I’m betting EC and Chatard would get screwed here and that doesn’t even mention the fact that southwest and northeast Indiana have ZERO representation in this “tournament.”

Not good for the sport.

I still think Cathedral is disqualified with four losses, that would leave room for Snider, who would get the nod based on their head to head with Carroll. Furthermore, how in the hell is Brownsburg a #4 seed? I think if there were a committee, East Central drops down to #4. I think many on that committee are going to look at their schedule that is predominantly 3A and 4A schools. That has to be taken into consideration. Yes, I know the win over Moeller was good. 

11 minutes ago, BTF said:

I still think Cathedral is disqualified with four losses, that would leave room for Snider, who would get the nod based on their head to head with Carroll. Furthermore, how in the hell is Brownsburg a #4 seed? I think if there were a committee, East Central drops down to #4. I think many on that committee are going to look at their schedule that is predominantly 3A and 4A schools. That has to be taken into consideration. Yes, I know the win over Moeller was good. 

I just copy and pasted my most recent poll.

Why would Snider get the nod over HSE who also beat Carroll, and by a larger margin?

Ya see, we could go on all day here.

The real way to do this would be to split the state into four quadrants and take the two best from each.

Not sure what a map of that would like like though.

East Central would be the only “south” school represented unless you count CG.

Edited by temptation

So, if I ran this style of event, it would be invitation based.

Based on our current formation

But, I would have two tournaments.

The first tournament is  4-6A including Chatard 

and the second is 1-3A schools. 

I personally think that Chatard has dominated the small school scene consistently enough to be playing amongst the bigger schools.

How I would prefer it to be, 5 classes, success factor still in effect. (this moves Chatard up into 4A Cathedral becomes a permanent member of 5A)

The tournaments would be 4A & 5A and the other would be 1A through 3A. Both are invitation based. Now, you may not get the top 8 teams every year...because it is an invitational. But, I assume there will be schools, players and coaches that will be interested in competing at this level. 

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Why would Snider get the nod over HSE who also beat Carroll, and by a larger margin?

I don't see the point in including a team that finished 3rd in their own conference. I'm not proclaiming Snider's better than HSE, just saying that the rule should be 'no more than two teams from the same conference.' I'd rather give an outlier like Snider a chance. I eliminated Merrillville and Penn based on their blowout losses in the regular season, for the record. 

Also for the record, the HSE/Carroll game was VERY evenly matched. The difference was two pick 6's for touchdowns. But that's part of the game, so kudos to HSE for being opportunistic. 

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

The real way to do this would be to split the state into four quadrants and take the two best from each.

Not sure what a map of that would like like though.

East Central would be the only “south” school represented unless you count CG.

You almost have to do the horizontal division line above Indy or in North Indy. That gives the state more southern representation. I think

American Tackle Football has 11 offensive positions, 11 defensive positions, a punter and kicker and 10 other positions for punting and kicking teams, which makes it the greatest team game. Basketball has only five positions. 

While small school vs largest school basketball may have some merit, a 1A or 2A football champ vs a 6A  football champ may be an absurdity due to the number of top level players and number of plays in a game. 

Will someone mention what about fill in the blank player who played on fill in the blank team? We could single out 2003 Chatard (3A in a time of 5 classes) for example. Could they have been competitive against Penn? Don't know. 2003 Warren Central had some asinine speed and power. And football has continued developing in Indiana the last 20 years. 

3 hours ago, BTF said:

I don't see the point in including a team that finished 3rd in their own conference. I'm not proclaiming Snider's better than HSE, just saying that the rule should be 'no more than two teams from the same conference.' I'd rather give an outlier like Snider a chance. I eliminated Merrillville and Penn based on their blowout losses in the regular season, for the record. 

Also for the record, the HSE/Carroll game was VERY evenly matched. The difference was two pick 6's for touchdowns. But that's part of the game, so kudos to HSE for being opportunistic. 

What are your thoughts on 3-4 teams from the same conference making the college football playoff next year when it goes to 12 teams?

You keeping out a 10-2 Oregon/Penn State because they finished 3rd/4th in the Big Ten?

LSU at 10-2 in the SEC?

3 hours ago, BTF said:

And HSE’s SOS is remarkable compared to Carroll.

Edited by temptation

Here we go…for fun.

By IFCA region:

1.  Crown Point

2.  Penn

3.  Snider

4.  Harrison

5.  Mississinewa

6.  Brownsburg

7.  Ben Davis

8.  Center Grove

9.  Heritage Hills

10. East Central

Still some damn good teams being left at home.  Seeding em 1-10 and giving the top two byes.

1.  Ben Davis

2.  East Central

3.  Center Grove

4.  Brownsburg

5.  Crown Point

6.  Snider

7.  Penn

8.  Heritage Hills

9.  Harrison

10. Mississinewa 

Round 1:  
Mississinewa @ Center Grove (winner gets East Central)

Harrison @ Brownsburg (winner gets Ben Davis)

Heritage Hills @ Crown Point (yikes)

Penn @ Snider

Neutral sites also always an option.

Gives 5 non 6A schools a chance to take on the big boys.

Edited by temptation

13 hours ago, temptation said:

What are your thoughts on 3-4 teams from the same conference making the college football playoff next year when it goes to 12 teams?

You keeping out a 10-2 Oregon/Penn State because they finished 3rd/4th in the Big Ten?

LSU at 10-2 in the SEC?

And HSE’s SOS is remarkable compared to Carroll.

College football is different because you have super conferences, whereas you don't in high school. There are over 350 football teams in the state of Indiana and I'm not sure there is once conference that has over 10 teams in it. That being said, including a team that finished 3rd in their own conference would bore me to tears. Do I think an 8 team tournament with Carroll instead of HSE is more interesting on a state wide level? Absolutely. But I honestly wouldn't see it coming down to that as I don't have either in the Top 8. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, temptation said:

Here we go…for fun.

By IFCA region:

1.  Crown Point

2.  Penn

3.  Snider

4.  Harrison

5.  Mississinewa

6.  Brownsburg

7.  Ben Davis

8.  Center Grove

9.  Heritage Hills

10. East Central

Still some damn good teams being left at home.  Seeding em 1-10 and giving the top two byes.

1.  Ben Davis

2.  East Central

3.  Center Grove

4.  Brownsburg

5.  Crown Point

6.  Snider

7.  Penn

8.  Heritage Hills

9.  Harrison

10. Mississinewa 

Round 1:  
Mississinewa @ Center Grove (winner gets East Central)

Harrison @ Brownsburg (winner gets Ben Davis)

Heritage Hills @ Crown Point (yikes)

Penn @ Snider

Neutral sites also always an option.

Gives 5 non 6A schools a chance to take on the big boys.

Harrison, Mississinewa, and Heritage Hills are opting out of this. If I'm the AD at those schools, no way am I setting my programs up for that slaughter. 

On 11/21/2023 at 8:42 AM, jets said:

Dumbest.Idea.Ever. I can't believe a State actually does that. I mean, it makes sense for the biggest schools ...what you are describing is essentially their State tournament anyway. 

But let's say you are a once-in-a-lifetime class and you have a chance to win your 4A title - but then the State elects you to play up against Center Grove. That is suppose to be rewarding?!?

There would be way to much Indy bias with this system. JMO

24 minutes ago, psaboy said:

There would be way to much Indy bias with this system. JMO

I don't think it has to be. You simply divide Indiana into 8 regions and have a representative from each area. I think that's the best we could ask for even though the northern most reps and the southern most reps probably know little about the other's area. 

I'll be honest. There's probably not a group of people more informed than those here on the Gridiron. I don't think you could trust a current coach or AD since their primary focus is their own program and who they are playing next week. I can't imagine they have much of a grip on who the Top 8 would be. I will give the media some credit. Many of them are regulars on this site, but don't necessarily post. 

On 11/22/2023 at 11:31 AM, BTF said:

Cathedral lost those games to Ben Davis, late FG, Center Grove, by a TD, and Brownsburg, by 2 scores early in the season.  The 4th loss was to #1 3A Chatard by 3 points, after Cathedral had a 21-0 lead after the 1st quarter.  You need to look deeper than just numbers!

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Cathedral lost those games to Ben Davis, late FG, Center Grove, by a TD, and Brownsburg, by 2 scores early in the season.  The 4th loss was to #1 3A Chatard by 3 points, after Cathedral had a 21-0 lead after the 1st quarter.  You need to look deeper than just numbers!

C'mon, great program for sure. But no one want's to see a team with four losses making a tournament like that. 

11 hours ago, BTF said:

C'mon, great program for sure. But no one want's to see a team with four losses making a tournament like that. 

To each his own!  When you've played the best in the state rankings and played them close, that means you're a pretty good football team.  Oh, and the Irish had a 35-0 lead on Penn before they scored late.

Enjoy the holidays, I'll be leaving here soon.