Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Gabriel and McCord To The Portal

Boilernation

32 minutes ago, temptation said:

You hate to see it.  Ryan Day passed on JJ McCarthy for Kyle McCord by the way...

Misleading. He had the #1 QB in the class in Quinn Ewers. 

Also, McCord was a huge ploy to get Marvin Harrison Jr considering they were high school teammates. 

Edited by Footballking16

33 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Misleading. He had the #1 QB in the class in Quinn Ewers. 

Also, McCord was a huge ploy to get Marvin Harrison Jr considering they were high school teammates. 

McCord verballed to Ohio State well before Ewers.

Edited by temptation

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

McCord verballed to Ohio State well before Ewers.

Right but Day ultimately signed the #1 QB in that class in Ewers. McCarthy also benefitted from early playing time, something he wouldn't have enjoyed had he committed to Ohio State. No telling what JJ would look like if he sat behind Stroud for 2 years before playing impactful snaps, if he's even at Ohio State at all. 

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Right but Day ultimately signed the #1 QB in that class in Ewers. McCarthy also benefitted from early playing time, something he wouldn't have enjoyed had he committed to Ohio State. No telling what JJ would look like if he sat behind Stroud for 2 years before playing impactful snaps, if he's even at Ohio State at all. 

Day pumping up Stroud’s numbers and throwing late in blowout games is one of the main factors in McCord’s lack of development at OSU.  He rarely took Stroud off the field despite the score.  McCord didn’t get enough snaps in my opinion.  It’s Day’s fault.

JJ had some “packages” he got on the field in during his freshman year and got out there in blowout wins.    That was it.

Now, that being said, OSU’s bar for success at the QB position is so high and has made for unrealistic expectations.  McCord is pretty damn good and will land on his feet somewhere.

Edited by temptation

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

Day pumping up Stroud’s numbers and throwing late in blowout games is one of the main factors in McCord’s lack of development at OSU.  He rarely took Stroud off the field despite the score.  McCord didn’t get enough snaps in my opinion.  It’s Day’s fault.

JJ had some “packages” he got on the field in during his freshman year and got out there in blowout wins.    That was it.

Now, that being said, OSU’s bar for success at the QB position is so high and has made for unrealistic expectations.  McCord is pretty damn good and will land on his feet somewhere.

He'll definitely land on his feet somewhere but he was pretty underwhelming all year given the rags to riches weapons he had littered all over the field. Ohio St can and should be able to upgrade in the portal. 

24 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He'll definitely land on his feet somewhere but he was pretty underwhelming all year given the rags to riches weapons he had littered all over the field. Ohio St can and should be able to upgrade in the portal. 

You sure?

3,170 yards, 26 TDs, 6 INTs & 11-1 with a 6 point loss on the road in the Game in his 1st season…

IMG_1010.png

IMG_1009.jpeg

Edited by temptation

1 minute ago, temptation said:

You sure?

IMG_1010.png

IMG_1009.jpeg

He had a good season statistically, don't think anyone is denying that. But I think it's evidently clear that he was the weak link in that offense. There's probably 50 D1 QB's who could throw for 3k yards with Marvin Harrison and Ebuka lined up on the outside. The drop off from Stroud to McCord was significant. The portal is merely 12 hours old and already I see 4-5 QB's who would be significant upgrades to McCord given the luxury OSU has at the skill positions. 

Cam Ward seems like a no-brainer and Dillon Gabriel is available too. I'd take Riley Leonard, DJ Uiagalelei, and Grayson McCall as well. He just seemed to struggle pushing the ball down the field and consistently going through progressions. 

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He had a good season statistically, don't think anyone is denying that. But I think it's evidently clear that he was the weak link in that offense. There's probably 50 D1 QB's who could throw for 3k yards with Marvin Harrison and Ebuka lined up on the outside. The drop off from Stroud to McCord was significant. The portal is merely 12 hours old and already I see 4-5 QB's who would be significant upgrades to McCord given the luxury OSU has at the skill positions. 

Cam Ward seems like a no-brainer and Dillon Gabriel is available too. I'd take Riley Leonard, DJ Uiagalelei, and Grayson McCall as well. He just seemed to struggle pushing the ball down the field and consistently going through progressions. 

Not disagreeing but I think OSU fans are spoiled and McCord was the “fall guy”…

Just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

They definitely are spoiled. Haskins, Fields, and Stroud were all very prolific. McCord is a huge step down from those 3. 

JT Barrett, Troy Smith, Cardale Jones…the list goes on and on.

Just typing those names gives me nightmares.