Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2024-25 and 25-26 Enrollments released by IHSAA

Using WCGrad92's numbers above,  here is the disparity in schools size in the current split (6A & 5A 32 teams):

6A

• Carmel 5200
  • Jeffersonville 2141

Carmel is 2.43 times bigger (Not much you can do about this, the top 16"ish" schools are just way bigger than the rest)

5A

• Valpo 2140
  • FWNS 1460

Valpo is 1.47 times bigger

4A

• FWSS 1459 (anyone else find it interesting SS & NS are only 1 kid apart?)
  • Wash 810

FWSS is 1.8 times bigger

3A

• Guerin 800
  • Benton Central 513

GC is 1.56 times bigger

2A

• North Mont 513
  • Busco 378

NM is 1.36 times bigger

1A (with 64ish teams)

• East Hancock 377
  • Attica 160

EH is 2.36 times bigger (much larger disparity than any class but 6A...and I would agrue that effect is aggravated due to the smaller school size)

OR

1A (with 32)

• Cov 281
  • Attica 177

Cov is 1.77 times bigger (very similar to what we get in the middle of the curve)

BTW a 64 class 5A (as WCGRad92 has above)

• Valpo 2140
  • NW 1068

Valpo is ~2 times bigger

• Like 4

If I’m reading correctly, with 32 in 6A and 1A, the ratio large to small within a class is pretty similar with the exception of 6A. As you state, there is not much you can do with 6A with Carmel being so large.

So why not do it? Makes too much sense.

38 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

If I’m reading correctly, with 32 in 6A and 1A, the ratio large to small within a class is pretty similar with the exception of 6A. As you state, there is not much you can do with 6A with Carmel being so large.

So why not do it? Makes too much sense.

Exactly, it makes too much sense. The IHSAA would never fall for a trick like that!

IHSAA make these changes now:

1. Adjust brackets to 32 in 6A and 1A, then split 5A - 2A with 61-64 schools in each.

2. Seed the Sectionals. Either complete seed or I’d be happy with seed top 2 and blind draw on the others as someone suggested earlier.

3. Neutral Site Semi State games

4. Keep LOS as home for all Championship games. 

Thats all. Too much to ask?

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, RegionFBFan said:

1. Adjust brackets to 32 in 6A and 1A, then split 5A - 2A with 61-64 schools in each.

2. Seed the Sectionals. Either complete seed or I’d be happy with seed top 2 and blind draw on the others as someone suggested earlier.

Is #4 in question? 

#3 is a GREAT idea. I love it. 

Edited by btownqbcoach1

1 hour ago, Formerly Number 39 said:

If the IHSAA created an "Open Class" that was intended to be comprised of the best 32 teams in the state, regardless of enrollment numbers, and inclusion was voluntary, would they be able to fill it? 

I would say NO

2 hours ago, Formerly Number 39 said:

If the IHSAA created an "Open Class" that was intended to be comprised of the best 32 teams in the state, regardless of enrollment numbers, and inclusion was voluntary, would they be able to fill it? 

Absolutely not. Four teams have absolutely owned 6A. Doesn't leave a whole lot of hope for the other 28 teams. If a program like Cathedral won't bump up voluntarily, none of them will. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, WCGrad92 said:

i believe its usually around end of March, 1st couple of weeks in April when they are usually released

In the past, the classifications and sectional alignments have been released after the conclusion of the winter sports season.  That way success factor moves for all but the spring sports can be included.

On 2/20/2024 at 1:34 PM, RegionFBFan said:

I like all of this and think it's a simple solution given the current format. I came up with a much crazier/ complicated idea that combines a lot of different concepts/ formats (IHSAA postseason, IHSA playoffs, Arizona's Open Division, and Chicago Prep Bowl "relegation") into one. I think it's pretty sweet. Some of you may like it. Some may hate it, but that's the way of the world, right? Lol I'll include it in the subsequent post and will be willing to answer any questions you fine folks may have. 

CoachMack's Crazy Idea includes 8 Classes and an Open/ Elite Division. The breakdown is below and includes how the playoff schedule would work. 

Open/Elite Division: Best 16 Teams in the State. Almost all will come from 6A-8A (FW Dwenger and Indianapolis Roncalli are only below 5A Top 16 "threats," based on my "model," and their own historical success). A first round loss in "The Open" does not eliminate you from postseason play, you will be allowed to rejoin the postseason in the appropriate class from 6A-8A dependent upon your enrollment. Prep bowl allows this with any open slots left, despite the prep bowl not being an IHSA "Playoff." 

8A: 16 Teams. Based on this year, there would have been 11 teams in 8A, and 5 open spots for Open Division 1st round losers, with the 5 largest enrollments (most, if not all would come from 8A anyways). Largest School = Carmel 5200, Smallest School = Indy Arsenal Tech 2500, Enrollment % Difference = 2.08%

7A: 32 Teams. Based on this year, there would have been 30 teams in 7A and 2 open spots for Open Division 1st round losers, with the 2nd and 3rd smallest enrollments. Largest School = Homestead 2408, Smallest School = Terre Haute South 1609, Enrollment % Difference = 1.5%

6A: 32 Teams. Based on this year, there would have been 31 teams in 6A and 1 open spot for Open Division 1st round losers with the smallest enrollment. Largest School = Franklin Community 1590, Smallest School = Columbia City 1162, Enrollment % Difference = 1.37%

5A: 32 Teams. Largest School = Indianapolis Shortridge 1159, Smallest School = Culver Academies 832, Enrollment % Difference = 1.39%

4A:  64 Teams. Largest School = Brebeuf Jesuit 829, Smallest School = Evansville Mater Dei 520 (success factored up), Enrollment % Difference = 1.59%

3A: 64 Teams. Largest School = Eastern Hancock 377, Smallest School = Indianapolis Lutheran 267 (success factored up), Enrollment % Difference = 1.38%

2A: 32 Teams. Largest School = Eastern Hancock 377, Smallest School = Indianapolis Lutheran 267 (success factored up), Enrollment % Difference = 1.41%

1A:  32 Teams. Largest School = Cloverdale 283, Smallest School = Attica 160, Enrollment % Difference = 1.77%

Playoff Schedules

Open/ Elite Division: IHSAA Playoffs Week 1, BYE for Week 1 winners, Sectional Champ Weekend, Regional Weekend, and Semi-State Weekend (Saturday Showcase)

8A: IHSAA Playoffs Week 2, Sectional Champ Weekend, Regional Weekend, and State Weekend.

Semi-States on Saturday during Regional Weekend at Purdue, ND, or IU.

7A-5A, 2A, 1A: Current IHSAA 32-team playoff schedule 

3A-4A: IHSAA Playoffs Week 1 - State Championship

1A-7A Semi-States on Friday so the Open Final is a HUGE Event.

CoachMack's Favorite Aspects

1. More Football (for our BEST 16, and in general)

2. More State Champions (3 more per season)

3. More consistent enrollment % differential across all classes (1.56% average in my model vs 1.83% in our current format), but specifically the improved differential for our smallest 128 schools. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CoachMack219 said:

CoachMack's Crazy Idea includes 8 Classes and an Open/ Elite Division. The breakdown is below and includes how the playoff schedule would work. 

Love the enthusiasm, but my eyes went cross-eyed trying to figure this out. 

• Haha 2

On 3/8/2024 at 1:06 PM, oldtimeqb said:

Love the enthusiasm, but my eyes went cross-eyed trying to figure this out. 

I'll admit, it's not easy to figure out and wasn't easy to attempt to figure out/ type out. Lol but I think I saw somehow/ somewhere throughout this thread that we have 312 football playing schools?

In all honesty, I wanted a much simpler solution than the one I provided but all of the other options I attempted resulted in a lot of the same problems we have currently (or a numbers issue due to fitting everyone into the playoffs). Whereas the class breakdowns of my insanely confusing idea (probably its new title lol) are more equitable for almost the entire state, short of the bottom half of 8A (impossible to fix enrollment differential if Carmel is the top of the class). That is why I added this extra confusing Open Division to try and eliminate some of the "heavy hitters" from 8A each year to make it more "equitable" for those other 8A teams that have never had a chance and probably still don't/ won't until the necessary changes are made in either their schools, communities, households, or all of those to compete under the current format or any like it.  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 11:18 AM, CoachMack219 said:

Open/Elite Division: Best 16 Teams in the State. Almost all will come from 6A-8A (FW Dwenger and Indianapolis Roncalli are only below 5A Top 16 "threats," based on my "model," and their own historical success). A first round loss in "The Open" does not eliminate you from postseason play, you will be allowed to rejoin the postseason in the appropriate class from 6A-8A dependent upon your enrollment. Prep bowl allows this with any open slots left, despite the prep bowl not being an IHSA "Playoff." 

8A: 16 Teams. Based on this year, there would have been 11 teams in 8A, and 5 open spots for Open Division 1st round losers, with the 5 largest enrollments (most, if not all would come from 8A anyways). Largest School = Carmel 5200, Smallest School = Indy Arsenal Tech 2500, Enrollment % Difference = 2.08%

7A: 32 Teams. Based on this year, there would have been 30 teams in 7A and 2 open spots for Open Division 1st round losers, with the 2nd and 3rd smallest enrollments. Largest School = Homestead 2408, Smallest School = Terre Haute South 1609, Enrollment % Difference = 1.5%

6A: 32 Teams. Based on this year, there would have been 31 teams in 6A and 1 open spot for Open Division 1st round losers with the smallest enrollment. Largest School = Franklin Community 1590, Smallest School = Columbia City 1162, Enrollment % Difference = 1.37%

5A: 32 Teams. Largest School = Indianapolis Shortridge 1159, Smallest School = Culver Academies 832, Enrollment % Difference = 1.39%

4A:  64 Teams. Largest School = Brebeuf Jesuit 829, Smallest School = Evansville Mater Dei 520 (success factored up), Enrollment % Difference = 1.59%

3A: 64 Teams. Largest School = Eastern Hancock 377, Smallest School = Indianapolis Lutheran 267 (success factored up), Enrollment % Difference = 1.38%

2A: 32 Teams. Largest School = Eastern Hancock 377, Smallest School = Indianapolis Lutheran 267 (success factored up), Enrollment % Difference = 1.41%

1A:  32 Teams. Largest School = Cloverdale 283, Smallest School = Attica 160, Enrollment % Difference = 1.77%

Playoff Schedules

Open/ Elite Division: IHSAA Playoffs Week 1, BYE for Week 1 winners, Sectional Champ Weekend, Regional Weekend, and Semi-State Weekend (Saturday Showcase)

8A: IHSAA Playoffs Week 2, Sectional Champ Weekend, Regional Weekend, and State Weekend.

Semi-States on Saturday during Regional Weekend at Purdue, ND, or IU.

7A-5A, 2A, 1A: Current IHSAA 32-team playoff schedule 

3A-4A: IHSAA Playoffs Week 1 - State Championship

1A-7A Semi-States on Friday so the Open Final is a HUGE Event.

CoachMack's Favorite Aspects

1. More Football (for our BEST 16, and in general)

2. More State Champions (3 more per season)

3. More consistent enrollment % differential across all classes (1.56% average in my model vs 1.83% in our current format), but specifically the improved differential for our smallest 128 schools. 

Am I missing something, why are these two the same?

I just don’t think Indiana has enough High Schools participating in football to support 8 classes. Too much dilution.

i believe Ohio and Illinois have 8 classes. How many schools play football? I think Ohio has double the schools not sure about Illinois.

11 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Am I missing something, why are these two the same?

My eyes went crossed eyed typing it, similar to @oldtimeqb while reading. Lol I'll correct it here now... 

3A would be... 64 Teams. Largest School = Knox 520, Smallest School = Churubusco 378, Enrollment % Difference = 1.38%

• Like 1