Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Champion vs Class Champions

40 minutes ago, temptation said:

After what I have witnessed recently in international competitions, I am just sitting over here wondering why we still call our best NBA team “world champions” every June, lol.

Good point. The rest of the world has caught up. True 20-30 years ago. 

59 minutes ago, CoachGallogly said:

I’ve found the people that complain about such things don’t come from the good programs fan bases, they come from big school fans who are annoyed they routinely get knocked out of the tourney early while smaller schools get to make deeper runs. What they really often want is the chance to beat up some schools 1/4 of their size and make the third round of an all in tourney and thump their chests about coming in 124th in the state, rather than 17th in their class. 

Why would anyone from Carmel, Ben Davis, Warren Central, or Center Grove complain? They win all the championships. Three of them happen to be the three largest schools in the state. I mean, the three largest schools owning most of the state championships isn't just coincidence.  I'd say that at least half the teams in 6A have a legitimate gripe. Is what it is.......6A has been and always will be an unlevel playing field. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And that goes to show not all multi-class tournaments are superior to their single class counterpart.

Happy now?

But the original posters complaint wasn’t over which system is better, only that it wasn’t somehow accurate to call smaller schools a state champ. 

31 minutes ago, BTF said:

Why would anyone from Carmel, Ben Davis, Warren Central, or Center Grove complain? They win all the championships. Three of them happen to be the three largest schools in the state. I mean, the three largest schools owning most of the state championships isn't just coincidence.  I'd say that at least half the teams in 6A have a legitimate gripe. Is what it is.......6A has been and always will be an unlevel playing field. 

The original poster wasn’t complaining about the disparity in 6A, only their frustration that smaller schools get awarded terms for their victories. 

Edited by CoachGallogly

45 minutes ago, coachkj said:

Opinion.

Truth.

7 minutes ago, CoachGallogly said:

But the original posters complaint wasn’t over which system is better, only that it wasn’t somehow accurate to call smaller schools a state champ. 

Which is why a single class system can be better. No ambiguity in that system.

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Truth.

Which is why a single class system can be better. No ambiguity in that system.

Things can be true in your own mind, but are not objectively true.  You are correct that a single class system can be better to crown one individual champion, but as @CoachGallogly has suggested, its not practical for football.

1 hour ago, Cloudy14 said:

Things can be true in your own mind, but are not objectively true.  You are correct that a single class system can be better to crown one individual champion, but as @CoachGallogly has suggested, its not practical for football.

The success factor has slightly opened that door, now the IHSAA just has to boldly walk through it.

3 hours ago, Rodney said:

merriville doesnt need 3500 kids, they already have 105 future hall of famers on the roster

How come you left Merrillville for Gibson Southern?

I liken this to people wanting a national football tournament, because HS kids need to be playing an NFL length season I guess. The goal of every HS team is to win a state championship. They’ve done that when they won their class, there’s nothing more to play for. The goal has been achieved. Now we’re going to have another six team bracket so a couple of over top idiot dads can have bragging rights? I’m sure you guys will want to seed it as well, so we’d have CG v Tiny School that no one from CG has ever heard of. What the hell would entice Tiny school that no one from CG has ever heard to even want to play this game? It’s stupid. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BTF said:

How come you left Merrillville for Gibson Southern?

greener pastures

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I liken this to people wanting a national football tournament, because HS kids need to be playing an NFL length season I guess. The goal of every HS team is to win a state championship. They’ve done that when they won their class, there’s nothing more to play for. The goal has been achieved. Now we’re going to have another six team bracket so a couple of over top idiot dads can have bragging rights? I’m sure you guys will want to seed it as well, so we’d have CG v Tiny School that no one from CG has ever heard of. What the hell would entice Tiny school that no one from CG has ever heard to even want to play this game? It’s stupid. 

not a longer season

i just want to cram 10 extra games into the season we already have is that to much to ask for

the hell is this auto merging my responses im trying to farm reputation here

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Rodney said:

greener pastures

not a longer season

i just want to cram 10 extra games into the season we already have is that to much to ask for

the hell is this auto merging my responses im trying to farm reputation here

It's like the mythical State Champions of the 30's and 40's... there are many here who would question the logic of those crowns. There are even some National champions claimed after they played maybe one OOS team. In 1928 Ashland High School of Ashland, KY won the mythical state championship and played Jefferson Senior High School in Roanoke, VA. Ashland steamrolled Jefferson and claimed a National Championship. Some of the oldtimers said it was the East against the West for the championship. Even though both teams were undefeated I'm sure there were other undefeated teams that would argue.

1 hour ago, Goose Liver said:

It's like the mythical State Champions of the 30's and 40's... 

30's and 40's?!?! My Morton Governors were mythical state champions in the year 1965 here in Indiana. 😂 Inaugural IHSAA state tourney/ playoff was in 1973.