• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/18/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted    Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach  Cloverdale: Tony Meyer  New Albany: Sean Coultis Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant  Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones Brian Hooker Promoted  
Houndstooth_Hat

NLC 2017

89 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

The Warsaw Tigers men's track & field team fell 5 points shy of defending their regional title last night.  One interesting thing that pertains to football is Tiger athlete Tristan Larsh.  He finished 2nd in the 100 (10.99) and 200 (22.66) and was part of the winning 4x100 relay team. With he and fellow track speedster and Will McGarvey and a number of athletes from the track team, hopefully some of that speed will translate to the football field.

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

NLCTigerFan07:  Even though I am not a big fan of the NLC, I thoroughly enjoy your post about the NLC.  I read all of your posts which I find well written and informative.  Keep them coming as I look forward to reading your latest posts.

I agree, he does a great job. Hope everyone has a great summer and enjoy the workouts and scrimmages. 

Clearly NW should be the favorite, but I can see NR, Concord and us being pretty good. We will have a couple of very good players back and large number of returning starters, but we have allot of improving to do. 

I know we started things off over at NR last week with a 3 day minicamp of sorts, curious as to whether other schools did or are doing the same?

Personally I think this year will be very interesting as to who emerges as conference champs. NW should be the favorite, not sure what to think of Plymouth, Goshen and Warsaw. Expecting Wawassee and EM to struggle as has been the case per the past few years. Ultimately I see us fiishing 2-4th place depeding on luck with injuries and so on. Interested to see who plays QB for us. 

Hope everyone is doing well, enjoy the heat! I am guessing we will be down a bit. Lost allot of kids, a few kids aren't playing, but a few new ones. 

As NLCTiger stated, a Tiger athlete Tristan Larsh is very fast and along with McGarvey two very fast kids. Do we have some lineman? Of course a new QB no matter what.

Gridguy, I think Goshen will be down from last year, lost a ton and as you said Wawaseee and EM will likely struggle. I'm high on Plymouth allot of kids coming back and two all State kids in Laffree and Drudge on Defense. 

I'm sure Yoder will be the QB at NW and of course a ton of skilled kids back. Smart is a crazy weapon. With that said, they lost some key lineman and of course Billisnki was wonderful leader and player.

I think it may be a fun year...

On 6/13/2017 at 10:42 AM, tigerpride said:

I'm sure Yoder will be the QB at NW and of course a ton of skilled kids back.

Interested to see if they do put Yoder at QB just to get him the ball as much as possible... also didn't know smart wasn't a senior last year. Us at NR need to try and find the magic from Wogomon's first few years and leave last year in the past 

Posted (edited)

What happens when Elkhart consolidates and the NLC is left with 7 teams? What is the next step?

1. Who does the NLC proactively go after? Remember, the NLC by-laws state that each school must participate in all recognized sports.

2. Is there a chance the NLC disintegrates because there may be a push to form another conference poaching teams like Warsaw, Goshen, and Concord?

3. Is there a chance of forming a mega conference between the NIC and NLC with large and small school divisions?

4. Does the NLC continue on like it had in the past with 7 teams until someone comes along like Memorial and applies for membership? There are rumors the former NSC schools are not happy in the NIC...maybe one of them will apply?

Interesting food for thought. The consolidation is coming and it will affect a lot of schools in one way or another.

Edited by Houndstooth_Hat
Correct spelling errors

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, Houndstooth_Hat said:

What happens when Elkhart consolidates and the NLC is left with 7 teams? What is the next step?

1. Who does the NLC proactively go after? Remember, the NLC by-laws state that each school must participate in all recognized sports. BREMEN

2. Is there a chance the NLC disintegrates becuase there may be a push to form another conference poaching teams like Warsaw, Goshen, and Concord? NO

3. Is there a chance of forming a mega conference between the NIC and NLC with large and small school divisions? MAYBE

4. Does the NLC continue on like it had in the past with 7 teams until someone comes along like Memrial and applies for membership? There are rumors the former NSC schools are not happy in the NIC...maybe one of them will apply? 7 TEAMS POSSIBLE, OR ONE SPECIFIC NIC MEMBER (BREMEN)

Interesting food for thought. The consolidation is coming and it will affect a lot of schools in one way or another.

Now THIS is the type of off-season banter I like to see and have fun with! It's funny you ask these questions, because I was just thinking about it the other day when I was reading something regarding the SAC in Fort Wayne not fully accepting Carroll and Homestead in all sports (specifically the "country club" sports) because AD's/school administrators or school board members (can't remember off the top of my head) did not want the Chargers and Spartans to go off an win conference in those sports each and every season.

So when I read that (and with Warsaw's previous sectional assignment including both of those schools for a number of years) I pondered two options for a 10 team NLC that included both Carroll and Homestead and then 1 other team.

FIRST - there is the possibility Elkhart stays in the NLC. With the gate opportunities in the NLC compared to those in the NIC, and the ability to probably seriously compete in just about every sport in the NLC (not that they wouldn't in the NIC, but you obviously dodge the behemoth PENN). So let's say Elkhart stays in the NLC with the addition of Homestead and Carroll. All schools play each other in every sport except football.  Football gets split into 2 divisions: BIG/SMALL

Big - Carroll, Elkhart, Goshen, Homestead, Warsaw

Small - Concord, Northridge, NorthWood, Plymouth, Wawasee

In what would be a proposed scheduling nightmare in my case :P, I say each team plays all 4 of the teams in their division weeks 6-9, a rotating cycle of 3 teams from the other division weeks 3-5, and whatever the other teams want to schedule in weeks 1 & 2.

SECOND - the NLC wants nothing to do with a megaschool Elkhart and show them the door. In my scenario of wanting a 10 team league, who does the NLC look to? In an effort to appeal to the smaller schools in the NLC with the additions of 6A/4A schools Carroll and Homestead, the NLC also brings back founding member and solid all around athletics program Bremen.  Same as the first scenario, but the football divisions are split as follows:

Big - Carroll, Concord, Goshen, Homestead, Warsaw

Small - Bremen, Northridge, NorthWood, Plymouth, Wawasee

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

As a former athlete at Bremen, I would be adamantly opposed to going back to the NLC.  The conference basically ran us out of town in the 80s, and yes, I am bitter!  (I loved participating in that conference!)  But, personal feelings aside, I don't think Bremen is a fit any more now than they were back then.  Not that they could not compete in some sports, but just probably not enough of a challenger in all sports to make them worth having.

I don't like a 10 team conference, so I would rather see the NLC pick up one replacement team.  And the one that makes the most sense to me is Fairfield.  I'm not sure if they compete in all NLC sports though.  And I'm pretty sure they gave the disbanding NSC a resounding "NO" when they inquired about Fairfield moving from the NECC.

Fairfield could be interesting as well, being a 3A football and basketball school (and play Goshen/NorthWood in football recently along with Wawasee, Goshen, NorthWood and Northridge in basketball consistently). I couldn't tell you one way or another their desire to be the smallest school in the NLC by over 300 students (Fairfield 565/NorthWood 883).

Future reference for any posts concerned about newest NLC enrollment figures:

2,176 - Warsaw

1,866 - Goshen

1,716 - Concord

1,392 - Northridge

1,147 - Plymouth

945 - Wawasee

883 - NorthWood

And for what it's worth, "Elkhart High School" is 3,321 if you take Central's 1,673 and add Memorial's 1,648.

Why not Penn?

11 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Why not Penn?

3,373 reasons why everyone but MAYBE Warsaw would not be interested.

Posted (edited)

Who cares,  Penn makes the conference stronger, better prepares teams for the post season.  What do schools value, conference or sectional, regional semi-state & state titles?   

Edited by MarshallCounty

Posted (edited)

9 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Who cares,  Penn makes the conference stronger, better prepares teams for the post season.  What do schools value, conference or state titles?   

I'd argue it's not a weak conference to begin with and I'd hope schools value giving their student-athletes the maximum opportunities to participate while preaching sportsmanship and teaching the valuable life lessons participating in athletics provides as an enhancement to their educational experience.  If schools value that and make that their focus, the two things you mentioned will take care of themselves.

*edit/addition - and if Penn makes the conference stronger, why are you trying to pawn them off onto us! :P:D;)

Edited by NLCTigerFan07

I don't know if Penn would even consider the move.  I just struggling with the fact that the NLC schools are afraid of 3,700 students.  I look at those schools are places that are always pushing to be better.

Strictly rumormille, but there has supposedly already been "talks" amongst NLC folks about a specific NIC school that the NLC will target.  Said NIC school would supposedly be "interested".  Didn't believe it the first time I heard, but the more I thought about it the more it makes sense.  Very similar make-up of current NLC schools.       

Where would New Prairie fit into the "Lakes"?

36 minutes ago, yellowjacket said:

Where would New Prairie fit into the "Lakes"?

They'd probably fit in quite nicely 

John Glenn would fit better base on location. 

Does Glenn offer all sports?

does New Prairie?

Don't know.

10 hours ago, scarletknights said:

Strictly rumormille, but there has supposedly already been "talks" amongst NLC folks about a specific NIC school that the NLC will target.  Said NIC school would supposedly be "interested".  Didn't believe it the first time I heard, but the more I thought about it the more it makes sense.  Very similar make-up of current NLC schools.       

That would have to be New Prairie.  It's a 65 mile drive from Warsaw, although all highway miles.  This would be a good way for the Cougars to get into a better conference than the NSC was and avoid Penn in the process, which it seems they've been trying to do for some time now.  It would be a nice fit as far as school size and make-up.

53 minutes ago, Fine Print said:

That would have to be New Prairie.  It's a 65 mile drive from Warsaw, although all highway miles.  This would be a good way for the Cougars to get into a better conference than the NSC was and avoid Penn in the process, which it seems they've been trying to do for some time now.  It would be a nice fit as far as school size and make-up.

It would make for some interesting match ups putting new prairies ground and pound offense up against the predominantly spread offenses of the NLC.. also would offer some opportunities for faint satisfaction for NR and Plymouth coaches to beat the team that knocked them out of the 2014 semi state and regional respectively,