• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
radiodavel

How ‘Dangerous’ Is Girls High School Soccer?

15 posts in this topic

Shhhhhh   Nobody cares about those facts because it doesn't sensationalize like the great sport of Football.   

I know one family who had 5 torn ACLs from girls soccer!

I covered a soccer match a few years ago where a team had both of its goalies out with concussions from hitting the posts on the net. Seems like they should have padding.

Posted (edited)

Girls Soccer is for, ERRRRRRR, for girls. What about girls rugby? Yes, I know it is a "club" sport, but why is that? It is why more brutal than soccer.

Edited by psaboy

Oh no, you mean someone can get hurt playing sports? Ban all sports immediately! We need legislation! Wrap the kids in bubble wrap until it's passed!

This is no secret to anyone that has looked at the issue.  It is used by football enthusiasts all the time.  A few things stand out to me in regards to this study and others like it.

1.  There is no money in soccer.  There is plenty of money in the football coffers to fund studies and research about the issue.  So naturally if football can help fund the research then more of the results are going to be about football.  The NFL isn't paying the medical community to make soccer safer.  This is going to publically make football the culprit because the public doesn't understand that this is how it works.

2.  Because the findings show that girls soccer has more % of injuries as concussions doesn't mean that football is harmless.  And the difference bwtween the two is only like 3%.  That may not even be enough of a statistical difference to separate the two sports.  Football doesn't get a pass because a study of 9 high schools found that 3% fewer injuries could be labeled as a concussion.  And I also don't think that boys soccer or girls basketball should get a pass either for the % that they show in the study.

3.  Soccer associations have recognized the research findings and have taken the head out of the game at younger ages where the brain is more suceptible to injury.  Football has been hesitant to attempt this.  There are still kids playing tackle football in full pads in the 2nd grade.  In the case of my son that will be when he is 7 years old.  I have yet to see evidence that playing full pads that early has improved the game of football or the abilities of the people who play it.  If somebody has evidence to the contrary please show it to me.  I do know that there have been football players that have had great careers in the NFL and didn't start football until at least middle school and sometimes later.

4.  This is also a possibility...I have more girls soccer concussions because I have fewer actual "athletes" at the HS level playing girls soccer.  They have a couple outs if they are getting tired and don't want to practice.  The first is to use the asthma excuse.  I see it all the time.  "My head hurts after heading a ball" is the second easiest way out of a conditioning practice.  By our state laws that is an immediate removal from participation until seen by a physician.  Those "injuries" would also have to be reported in this study.  You do get some of that with football but not near as much as with the female sports.

Probably not as dangerous as girls rugby

Posted (edited)

On ‎4‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:11 PM, psaboy said:

Probably not as dangerous as girls rugby

Haha. I'm in the Fort Wayne rugby scene. (see you're at Snider)

Was talking to a South Side High School teacher Saturday that plays for the adult women's team in town. She mentioned how when they do powderpuff there's always 4 to 5 girls that really get into it into the contact and she tries to talk to them of "come out and give it a shot". Youth rugby in the area is really going somewhere, we just need to break into Fort Wayne Community Schools.

Edited by rj1

I can only assume Muda is on a girls high school soccer message board right this very moment hammering their fans about safety concerns. 

5 hours ago, rj1 said:

Was talking to a South Side High School teacher Saturday that plays for the adult women's team in town. She mentioned how when they do powderpuff there's always 4 to 5 girls that really get into it into the contact and she tries to talk to them of "come out and give it a shot". Youth rugby in the area is really going somewhere, we just need to break into Fort Wayne Community Schools.

My daughter plays on Penn's team, The only team they play from the FWA area is Dwenger. Penn will play a few teams up here, Warsaw and then teams from Indy area. Just competed in the Midwest Invitational last weekend with a bunch of teams from Cleveland area and Wisconsin, Im all (guessing) there had to have been 12-16 different clubs in tourney. National Invitational is weekend of 5-20 in Elkhart and teams from across the country will compete. Penn won D2 in Nationals last year. think they are bumped up to D1 this year so will be tough go. Three games last weekend, they had 6 or so go out with injuries. Rough game for girls, pretty interesting. This is a club sport, not supported by IHSAA.

5 hours ago, rj1 said:

Yes, I graduated from Snider

9 hours ago, psaboy said:

My daughter plays on Penn's team, The only team they play from the FWA area is Dwenger. Penn will play a few teams up here, Warsaw and then teams from Indy area. Just competed in the Midwest Invitational last weekend with a bunch of teams from Cleveland area and Wisconsin, Im all (guessing) there had to have been 12-16 different clubs in tourney. National Invitational is weekend of 5-20 in Elkhart and teams from across the country will compete. Penn won D2 in Nationals last year. think they are bumped up to D1 this year so will be tough go. Three games last weekend, they had 6 or so go out with injuries. Rough game for girls, pretty interesting. This is a club sport, not supported by IHSAA.[/quote]

Penn Rugby in all forms (boys, girls, middle school) are awesome.

At the moment the only teams in the Fort Wayne area for girls are Bishop Dwenger and Warsaw who we kind of lump in. For boys, there's Bishop Dwenger, Carroll, Homestead, Leo, and Angola and Warsaw get lumped in as well. The Warsaw girls are seriously good. Carroll and Bishop Dwenger are the best 2 boys teams.

4 hours ago, rj1 said:

Penn plays Warsaw tomorrow, at Warsaw

Warsaw beats Penn yesterday. Warsaw doesn't play a clean game, I'm surprised their coaches let them play that way.

Posted (edited)

On 4/4/2017 at 7:49 AM, Unlucky Breaks said:

This is no secret to anyone that has looked at the issue.  It is used by football enthusiasts all the time.  A few things stand out to me in regards to this study and others like it.

3.  Soccer associations have recognized the research findings and have taken the head out of the game at younger ages where the brain is more suceptible to injury.  Football has been hesitant to attempt this.  There are still kids playing tackle football in full pads in the 2nd grade.  In the case of my son that will be when he is 7 years old.  I have yet to see evidence that playing full pads that early has improved the game of football or the abilities of the people who play it.  If somebody has evidence to the contrary please show it to me.  I do know that there have been football players that have had great careers in the NFL and didn't start football until at least middle school and sometimes later.

I'm seeing down here (central TX) that over the last 2-3 years there are more flag football leagues popping up.  Initially it was only for the 8 & under kids, but recently some have expanded all the way to 12U.  Originally they were "in addition to" the regular full contact leagues, however now some have become "in place of".  Mostly started by individual school systems, or a few smaller schools doing a league together.  When I first saw this I was not pleased, but the more I considered it, I've come to the conclusion that it might not be a bad thing.  I'm all for full contact by junior high and probably 5th/6th grades is OK, but anything below that I'm beginning to think might be too early.  The only negative I can see is it seems like flag football might benefit the skill positions a lot more than the linemen.  But there's stuff the linemen can do without hitting.  When I was a little kid, we had guys blocking when we played 2-hand touch football during recess.

For a point of reference, my son didn't start organized football until 5th grade; I wanted to start him earlier but mom said "no".   Fast forward to 2017 and this fall he will be a senior in his third year on varsity and second year as a starter (LB/RB).  Waiting just a tad longer didn't hurt him any.  Individual results may vary, but I think there's some merit to the idea of delaying the contact for a bit.

FWIW the league my son played in down here does flag for 1st & 2nd graders, and full pads thereafter.

Flag may not be the style of choice for some folks, but it's better than nothing.  I graduated from a country school in '86 and when I was a kid there was no youth football of any kind unless you wanted to make the 30-45 min drive to the nearest larger city and play in a league where you didn't know anyone.  The guys on our team got their first taste of organized ball starting on 7th grade.

Edited by Bonecrusher