• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/18/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted    Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach  Cloverdale: Tony Meyer  New Albany: Sean Coultis Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant  Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones Brian Hooker Promoted  
Coach Nowlin

Sectionals are out

126 posts in this topic

So......Linton gets bumped to 2A and is now in sectional 40.  Mater Dei, Southridge, and South Spencer look to be the immediate competition for the sectional title.  I also noticed that Linton opens the season with Southridge and in week 7 plays North Knox which is also a sectional 40 member.  They will also play 2A champion Ritter and former 2A champion Monrovia, both of which have moved up to 3A.  There are several tough games for the Miners this season.  For several years we have heard the Miners are rebuilding, but I am thinking this will be the year it will actually be true.  Lots of starters are graduating from last year's state title team.  Should be an interesting season for Miner Nation.

Sectional 40:

Evansville Mater Dei, Forrest Park, North Knox, Linton, North Posey, South Spencer, Southridge, and Tell City. 

On 5/9/2017 at 3:08 PM, Titan32 said:

What are the rivalries in Sectional 29?   This isn't an attempt to be a smart @zz I really don't know.

SECTIONAL 29
  Sect Class Overall
Indian Creek 0-  0 0-  0 0-  0
Indianapolis Broad Ripple 0-  0 0-  0 0-  0
Indianapolis Chatard 0-  0 0-  0 0-  0
Indianapolis Manual 0-  0 0-  0 0-  0
Indianapolis Northwest 0-  0 0-  0 0-  0
Indianapolis Ritter 0-  0 0-  0 0-  0
Rushville 0-  0 0-  0 0-  0

I haven't really paid as much attention to the pairings as I have in year's past so its hard to judge this Sectional in a total context.  I anticipated a Sectional with Chatard, Brebeuf, Guerin AND Ritter in it....seemed like too big an opportunity for the IHSAA to resist.  

I was disappointed.

As regards this particular Sectional, there are natural rivals with Chatard and Ritter (though for some obscure reason they are not playing each other this year...continues to baffle me) both being Archdiocese schools.  Broad Ripple has historically been the home field for Chatard - second only to Broad Ripple....and the greatest football field in Indiana history - at least to old school Chatard players and fans.  Both schools are, literally, a 10 minute walk from each other.  Manual and Northwest are both metro schools.  The only questionable schools are Indian Creek and Rushville as regards proximity.  Rushville is certainly the farthest.  Without looking at the current class sizes, Greensburg (assuming they are still 3A) is certainly a closer drive.  Its not a perfect Sectional but I can see some sense behind it.  Chatard historically has seemed to move from east to west of Indy in Sectional play...but always part of the South.

Posted (edited)

On 5/6/2017 at 8:33 PM, crimsonace1 said:

This is a heck of a lot of passion for the alignment in Indianapolis for someone who claims Gary Wallace as his school. 

I always respect your thoughts and insights but that seems a bit unfair as regards Dan Jones (Gawwd knows he doesn't need me to speak up for him).  Even so, he's certainly not invested as to parochials...or anyone else.  I've, over the years, considered him perhaps the best non-partisan (and the bluntest) observer in central Indiana.  He has often made me squirm uncomfortably as regards his observations in reference to parochials/privates but he is generally spot on...and ultimately...quite often painfully... fair.  BTW, he picked the rise of New Pal well before those of us not associated with the school did....and oft-defended them as regards certain accusations about running up the score (I obviously don't always agree with him but truly respect his opinion and give it great weight).

The ever eternal Cathedral/Roncalli Sectional pairing is always expected whenever their classes might meet.  Whether wrong or right this particular year, the inevitability of it is simply tiresome...and a strange coincidence that always "just" seems to happen.

Edited by Lysander

On 5/4/2017 at 0:35 PM, crimsonace1 said:

Trying to put myself in their shoes ... Ben Davis was a single school. Avon & Brownsburg go together as Hendricks County rivals. Southport & Perry Meridian go together. One southern Indy school had to go south (the only non-paired school there is Franklin Central). Once that happens, the two pairs (Avon/Brownsburg, Southport/Perry) are paired up, then Ben Davis is paired up with Warren Central to go in with the Lawrence schools, and Pike/North Central paired up with Fishers/HSE. I don't fully agree with how they split things in 6A, but that's the explanation, and it jives perfectly with the same explanation as to why Cathedral, Roncalli & Tech are together. 

You keep proving my point that sectionals were aligned to preserve rivalries more so than aligned on geography/proximity (which is what the IHSAA said). I think you get a lot loss gripe if the IHSAA simply came out and said we preferred rivalries over proximity.

On 5/3/2017 at 9:04 AM, INDHOF03 said:

I wonder if Mich & Mich St or Mich & OSU complain about being in the East division of the B10? Because IU (East) and Purdue (West) are split why shouldn't they be split? Maybe it doesn't relate. They even have a good argument though because the divisions won't change. The sectionals at least change every 2 years. 

Rumors of B1G expansion are back. Hearing a lot about OU and Texas which could mean Purdue to the East if it happens. Personally, I'd prefer Pitt and WVU in to the East and IU to the west and then the whole state goes on Central time but I digress.

Anyway, it's nice to see our regular foes back in Sectional 43. Less driving than last year that we had for our sectional and regional crowns. Early prediction is that our county rival in Sectional 43 is ready to make a run, that being South Adams. 

On 5/10/2017 at 7:45 AM, itiswhatitis said:

So......Linton gets bumped to 2A and is now in sectional 40.  Mater Dei, Southridge, and South Spencer look to be the immediate competition for the sectional title.  I also noticed that Linton opens the season with Southridge and in week 7 plays North Knox which is also a sectional 40 member.  They will also play 2A champion Ritter and former 2A champion Monrovia, both of which have moved up to 3A.  There are several tough games for the Miners this season.  For several years we have heard the Miners are rebuilding, but I am thinking this will be the year it will actually be true.  Lots of starters are graduating from last year's state title team.  Should be an interesting season for Miner Nation.

Sectional 40:

Evansville Mater Dei, Forrest Park, North Knox, Linton, North Posey, South Spencer, Southridge, and Tell City. 

Linton wont go undefeated this year, but they should be ok in 2A and Sectional 40. Now on the other hand for North Knox they wont be able to compete with any of the teams in Sectional 40.

On 5/13/2017 at 9:58 AM, basement bias said:

the whole state goes on Central time but I digress.

PREACH

On 5/10/2017 at 7:45 AM, itiswhatitis said:

Sectional 40:

North Posey will be more of a contender than South Spencer...IMHO.

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

North Posey will be more of a contender than South Spencer...IMHO.

Duly noted.  I don't know how many players other teams are losing to graduation in sectional 40.  It will make for interesting reading when the 2017 Digest comes out.  I only know that Linton is losing a TON of great players and leadership.  Coach Oliver is going to have his work cut out for him this season.  One thing is certain:  Coach Oliver is a great head coach who has a great staff.  I am really happy (as a fan) to see Linton beefing up their schedule.  They play three 3A schools (Sullivan, Monrovia, and Ritter), three 2A schools (Southridge, North Knox, and Providence) and three 1A schools.  Their schedule used to be mostly 1A schools.  I'm not overly concerned about them not going undefeated or not.  I'm really glad to see Ritter on the schedule.  They have a classy program and great fans.  We had a couple of great semi-state games with them in 1A a few years back.  This will be the third year in a row that Linton will play a defending class champion (North Vermillion in 2015, and Monrovia in 2016).  It was also great to start playing Monrovia again this past season.  Another great program and great fans.

4 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

PREACH

I'll admit my reasoning is selfish, but I miss being able to watch both Ohio highlights and then Indiana highlights an hour later. Plus since I now live in the horrid Buckeye state but work in the great Hoosier state, I would always be early or have extra time. 

Posted (edited)

On 5/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, WC Warrior said:

I do get the point that Ben Davis and Warren Central are rivals and all. But some things just don't make sense. BD and WC are their school district's single high school. Its about the revenue.

BD-WC isn't what it was 10 years ago.  The gate's nowhere near what it used to be.

Avon-Ben Davis was full both times they played last year, and the Brownsburg-Ben Davis game was standing room only.  Pike-Ben Davis also sold out.  If you're telling me that Lawrence North/BD or Lawrence Central/BD will do better than the Pike, Avon or Brownsburg gates, I'd challenge that assessment.

Edited by BDGiant93

Rumors of B1G expansion are back. Hearing a lot about OU and Texas which could mean Purdue to the East if it happens. Personally, I'd prefer Pitt and WVU in to the East and IU to the west and then the whole state goes on Central time but I digress.

Where did you hear this?

On 5/16/2017 at 9:30 PM, psaboy said:

Where did you hear this?

It's all over Rivals. ?

On 5/15/2017 at 3:52 PM, BDGiant93 said:

BD-WC isn't what it was 10 years ago.  The gate's nowhere near what it used to be.

Avon-Ben Davis was full both times they played last year, and the Brownsburg-Ben Davis game was standing room only.  Pike-Ben Davis also sold out.  If you're telling me that Lawrence North/BD or Lawrence Central/BD will do better than the Pike, Avon or Brownsburg gates, I'd challenge that assessment.

If it was about the revenue for the IHSAA, it wouldn't have put the teams in the same sectional (where the schools split the gate). 

On 5/3/2017 at 6:15 AM, Footballking16 said:

Center Grove gets to walk to semi-state.

Precisely why 6A should only have 4 Sectionals. 

On 5/3/2017 at 9:15 AM, Footballking16 said:

You could have made a drivers seat option as well. Center Grove gets to walk to semi-state.

Would Carmel not have the cake walk route to semi-state now with out both fishers and HSE both in the south

4 hours ago, trojanmp52 said:

Would Carmel not have the cake walk route to semi-state now with out both fishers and HSE both in the south

I think Carmel has way tougher route to semi state, they have to beat Westfield (Sectional) then Snider (Regional) more times than not to reach semi. Central Grove has way easier route to semi state.

On 5/19/2017 at 6:26 PM, basement bias said:

It's all over Rivals. ?

Not really that I can see, maybe on message board, But remember message boards are for mostly entertainment, not facts

17 hours ago, psaboy said:

I think Carmel has way tougher route to semi state, they have to beat Westfield (Sectional) then Snider (Regional) more times than not to reach semi. Central Grove has way easier route to semi state.

Not really that I can see, maybe on message board, But remember message boards are for mostly entertainment, not facts

Yes I know, I'm a member of Rivals. Pretty entertaining stuff with good people.

On 5/19/2017 at 9:23 PM, DanteEstonia said:

Precisely why 6A should only have 4 Sectionals. 

If 6A had 4 sectionals, 7 & 8 would be combined, and the sectional/regional matchups wouldn't change. 

43 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

If 6A had 4 sectionals, 7 & 8 would be combined, and the sectional/regional matchups wouldn't change. 

It would at least make 6a sectionals the same size as most of the sectionals in the other classes. Having 4 team Sectionals cheapens the Sectional's value.

1 hour ago, crimsonace1 said:

You'd mix up when the matchups would occur though, and you'd basically have no regional round.  Example if you combined 7 & 8, you're sectional bracket could look like:

Avon @ Columbus North

Southport @ Franklin Central

Brownsburg @ Center Grove

Perry Meridian @ Jeffersonville

or whatever... basically, exactly like @DanteEstonia said, it makes all the 6A sectionals the same size as most of the other sectionals in classes 1A-4A  and give more "parity" (might not be the exact word I'm looking for) to the 6A tournament. 

8 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

You'd mix up when the matchups would occur though, and you'd basically have no regional round.  Example if you combined 7 & 8, you're sectional bracket could look like:

Avon @ Columbus North

or whatever... basically, exactly like @DanteEstonia said, it makes all the 6A sectionals the same size as most of the other sectionals in classes 1A-4A  and give more "parity" (might not be the exact word I'm looking for) to the 6A tournament. 

In the 'I know this would never happen' category, 6A would be the perfect chance to seed the whole darn thing. Or at least seed 1-16 north and south.  

A majority of the schools are clustered around Indy anyway. Factor in a bye week to start (round 1 for 1A-5A) and why not? 

After week 9, teams are seeded and have 2 weeks to prepare. At worst, with the above scenario, Avon/Jeffersonville gives you a 2 hr bus trip down 65. That is still better travel distances than some blind draw pairings for lower classes. But most will be of the Southport vs Franklin Central or Perry Meridian vs Center Grove variety.

it will never happen. But logically I think 6A would set up nicely that way.  

On 5/22/2017 at 10:01 AM, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Avon @ Columbus North

The more I think about doing it this way with out the regional game I like it.  It would give you all kinds of different matchups and new place to go play  the games.  The only thing I see that would be a draw back for some AD's  and coachs is that now  they can say that they had a good season and won their sectional.  In doing a way with sectionals they is gone.

4 hours ago, trojanmp52 said:

The more I think about doing it this way with out the regional game I like it.  It would give you all kinds of different matchups and new place to go play  the games.  The only thing I see that would be a draw back for some AD's  and coachs is that now  they can say that they had a good season and won their sectional.  In doing a way with sectionals they is gone.

A Sectional championship in a 6A with only 4 Sectionals is still a Semi-State appearance. It would actually make winning a 6A Sectional more prestigious, due to the paucity of the title. 

On 5/22/2017 at 9:07 AM, DanteEstonia said:

It would at least make 6a sectionals the same size as most of the sectionals in the other classes. Having 4 team Sectionals cheapens the Sectional's value.

Ask LN, LC, Ben Davis or Warren if they will feel "cheap" about winning Sectional next year.