• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
Rangerdog

Romeo cuts list to 7

New Albany Senior  , Romeo Langford , a 5 star prospect & definitely the leading candidate for Mr. Basketball has cut his list down to 7 & will likely not make an announcement until Spring but the 7 schools he listed were : UK , Louisville , IU , UCLA , Kansas , Vanderbilt , & UNC .

I am a little surprised that Duke isn't in there. I had been hearing that they were in his top 3. 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:08 PM, CGFan2017 said:

I am a little surprised that Duke isn't in there. I had been hearing that they were in his top 3. 

I don't think there was any question that they were in his top 2 but Duke wanted him to go to prep school from what I've been hearing & he opted to stay @ New Albany for his Senior season to try & when another State championship . It's obviously not easy to win 1 state title & much less 2 in a 4 year span although some teams have done it in the past but IMO , after seeing the Dogs play as much as I have & knowing what they have coming back , I think they have as good as shot as any to claim the title .  Romeo Langford will no doubt go down as 1 of the best Indiana high school players in history . I've been watching Indiana high school basketball for 27+ years & although I've seen many great players , he is the best I've ever seen or the most versatile player I've seen . I think it would be great if he became a Hoosier but I got a feeling & I did from the beginning that his choice is going to be Louisville , especially since Duke is off his list . IU has definitely made up a lot of ground & he is really high on Vanderbilt since he is an academic scholar & wants to go to school for engineering & they are one of the best schools in that area . As good as Romeo is , I'm not sure he is going to be a 1 & done like a lot of people think he is . Just really depends on what he wants to get out of college & how big a hurry he is in .

Interesting you think he is the best you have seen. I have been watching for 60 years and I have seen several that I thought were better as high school players. Langford perhaps has more potential/higher ceiling than most.

6 minutes ago, Taps Browning said:

Interesting you think he is the best you have seen. I have been watching for 60 years and I have seen several that I thought were better as high school players. Langford perhaps has more potential/higher ceiling than most.

Some of the great players I saw , I was only  able to see "live" a few times & I've had the privilege to see Romeo play around 30 times & he hasn't disappointed me one time , so that certainly helps . He just does so many things right . Even if he struggles shooting the ball , and many great players do on occasion , he still gives his team a chance to win night in & night out because of other things that he does & he does it effortlessly .  It may sound stupid , but one reason I like him so much is he just goes out & plays the game without thinking he is better then most which he obviously is .

I understand. The more you see a player the more you appreciate the little things he does. I hope he has a monster season.

make that 6

• “Due to the current allegations associated with the University of men’s basketball program, a family decision was made that Romeo Langford will no longer be considering U of L in his recruitment,” Langford’s father, Tim said.

4 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

make that 6

• “Due to the current allegations associated with the University of men’s basketball program, a family decision was made that Romeo Langford will no longer be considering U of L in his recruitment,” Langford’s father, Tim said.

I've talked to Romeo a few times during his high school career & he is a good kid . Everyone has their opinions on where he might go including myself & everyone hears the rumors . I believe the 3 teams that he is interested in the most as of now are IU , Vandy , & Kansas & many believe Kansas is the frontrunner but he's not suppose to make a decision until the Spring so things could change a lot between now & then .  I also know that he is really close to his family so I have a hard time believing he will end up @ Kansas unless his family moves but I could be totally wrong on that aspect .  By the time it's all said & done , Romeo will make a decision that best fits him . No matter where he goes , he has a bright future ahead of him  Whether he plays 1 year of college or more . I'm probably one of the few who thinks he will attend college more then 1 year but it really depends on the situation ? Romeo not only has a chance to make it to the next level after his college days but I believe he has a chance to be an impact player @ the next level ! Will see what happens ? 

I honestly don't think it will be Kansas. The Kansas program is rumored, if that's the right word, to be as dirty a program as there is.

Of course, all of the very successful programs probably cheat in some way. Perhaps not Duke.

I think Vanderbilt has as good a chance as anyone. It really would be a good school for him.

On ‎10‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:54 PM, Taps Browning said:

I honestly don't think it will be Kansas. The Kansas program is rumored, if that's the right word, to be as dirty a program as there is.

Of course, all of the very successful programs probably cheat in some way. Perhaps not Duke.

I think Vanderbilt has as good a chance as anyone. It really would be a good school for him.

Yeah , it wouldn't shock me at all if he chooses Vanderbilt . I've read several different articles on many occasions where Romeo was very high on Bryce Drew's coaching style there . He said he has the program heading into the right direction & he gets his players ready for the next level . He also made it very clear that they have a great academic program & he wants to go to school for engineering . So it would make a lot of sense for him to attend Vanderbilt & it's not real far from home . I just hate for him to leave the State of Indiana ! 

So why not Purdue?   Engineering?   Getting players ready for next level, squeaky clean.   Not far from home.   

On 10/7/2017 at 3:05 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

So why not Purdue?   Engineering?   Getting players ready for next level, squeaky clean.   Not far from home.   

Players ready for the next level???? Do you mean a career in Europe? How many Purdue players have went on to have a significant NBA career in the Painter Era? Certainly not Kramer, Johnson or Hummel all considered to be some of the best Purdue players in the last 15 years will any of them even be on an NBA roster? Moore had so much hype around him and has been a role player at best. Hammons may pan out but Biggie Swanigan  is the only Purdue player since Glenn Robinson to have a long and prosperous career on the horizon and that had has much to do with God given ability has Matt Painter lead development. I think Johnson and Swanigan are the only 2 Purdue Player drafted in the 1st round under Painter. Which at the end of the day who cares? Tom Crean was great at "getting players ready" for the NBA and look where it got him...... would much rather have a program known for winning titles and getting to the Final Four. 

I mean I see your point Purdue on paper has as much to offer as Vanderbilt does especially if he really wants to major in engineering (which my not convinced a 1 and done kid will) and its closer to home but lets not peg Vandy or Purdue as programs that pump out  NBA prospects. 

If his sole focus is to "get to the next level", then he should be looking at Kentucky or Duke. My gut feeling is the Kentucky/Indiana series gets renewed and he will be the starting point guard for IU versus Kentucky in Lucas Oil Stadium in the 2018/2019 season. 

8 hours ago, EasyEJay said:

Players ready for the next level???? Do you mean a career in Europe? How many Purdue players have went on to have a significant NBA career in the Painter Era? Certainly not Kramer, Johnson or Hummel all considered to be some of the best Purdue players in the last 15 years will any of them even be on an NBA roster? Moore had so much hype around him and has been a role player at best. Hammons may pan out but Biggie Swanigan  is the only Purdue player since Glenn Robinson to have a long and prosperous career on the horizon and that had has much to do with God given ability has Matt Painter lead development. I think Johnson and Swanigan are the only 2 Purdue Player drafted in the 1st round under Painter. Which at the end of the day who cares? Tom Crean was great at "getting players ready" for the NBA and look where it got him...... would much rather have a program known for winning titles and getting to the Final Four. 

I mean I see your point Purdue on paper has as much to offer as Vanderbilt does especially if he really wants to major in engineering (which my not convinced a 1 and done kid will) and its closer to home but lets not peg Vandy or Purdue as programs that pump out  NBA prospects. 

Boston Celtics thought JJ was 1st round material.  

Etwaan has been far better than a "role' player and continues to trend up

Hummell:  yea those 2 ACL's would kinda hurt that stock ya know.   I know that is Painter's fault I am sure

Hammons:  NBA talent for years, wasnt' til late to tap into it.  

Biggie:  Will be starting early in season is my guess, but if not 6/7th off bench 

Kramer:  Never was an NBA player at all.  Never said he was.   

To be honest with you , I think one of the reasons that he doesn't have Purdue on the list anymore is I believe Painter may have showed less interest for whatever reason ? I think he saw how many other big name schools were on Romeo's list & maybe didn't think he had a very good chance to get him , so instead of concentrating on Romeo a lot like some others are doing  , he may be concentrating on players that he thinks he may have a better chance of getting . I'm pretty sure if Crean was still @ IU , Romeo wouldn't have them on his list very high either but every since Archie took over , he made it clear that Romeo was their #1 option . I figured Phinesee would end up @ Purdue . I was kind of surprised when he committed to IU . Maybe it's an Archie thing , who knows ?

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Boston Celtics thought JJ was 1st round material.  

Etwaan has been far better than a "role' player and continues to trend up

Hummell:  yea those 2 ACL's would kinda hurt that stock ya know.   I know that is Painter's fault I am sure

Hammons:  NBA talent for years, wasnt' til late to tap into it.  

Biggie:  Will be starting early in season is my guess, but if not 6/7th off bench 

Kramer:  Never was an NBA player at all.  Never said he was.   

THOUGHT (key word) 

Trending up? He has been in the league for 6 years now... calling him a role player is generous on my part. I see Eric Gordon as a role player as well and he has had a vastly superior NBA career thus far. (but hey Moore will always have the state title right?) 

Would have to do some digging but gonna say he was not on any big board even before the ACL's maybe a late 2nd rounder but definitely not a polished NBA prospect. Will Sheehey had more NBA upside (not as good of a shooter, but far superior athlete and defensive skills)

Agree he still has a ceiling IF he can stay healthy (keeping his body trained for duration of 82 games is something he should have at least began to learn in Purdue strength and conditioning program) 

Agree again a very nice NBA caliber prospect but because of his natural attributes maybe learned how to shoot a little better at Purdue but thats about it. Possibly could have developed into a lottery to top 12 pick with 2 years in East Lansing instead of West Lafayette IMO. 

Just thought if you develop NBA level prospects your best PG in the last 15 years would have developed into one after 4 years in Matt Painters world class NBA system 

spoken like a IU fan not a college basketball fan.   Its cool though   no worries 

Hey that was Tom Crean's thing though don't get me wrong I'm glad to see IU guys succeeding in the NBA , but I would much rather have had a program known for being a consistent Big 10 title contender and a possible final 4 contender and had at least 1 trip in his 9 years (especially with the talent they had in 2011). Agree I am 100% bias and that makes watching them win THAT much better to quote Lil Wayne "This a'int a dis song .....I just love my team" 

• Upvote 1

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/kentucky/2017/10/10/romeo-langford-visit-north-carolina-kentucky-big-blue-madness/750894001/

Romeo Langford will visit UNC this weekend instead of UK's Blue Madness event(though he did visit it last year as a Jr). Not a huge surprise as it has been reported that mutual interest cooled heavily over the summer and Langford did not have a good experience playing for Cal with the USA U19 team Uk has downplayed this but with thier commits and guys they may yet land can't blame them for not being too upset. Still my guess this all but puts the list down to 5  IU, Kansas, UNC, UCLA, and Vandy. has already been out to Vandy I believe? and to see Alford last weekend in LA, UNC this weekend IU on the 21st and Kansas on the 28th. I think it will come down to these last 3 UNC, IU and Kansas. I think he will surprise people and commit before the start of his senior year or early during. Of course I am hoping and pleading its IU BUT for some reason this whole UNC visit over UK has my gut feeling that Roy and the Tar heels may come in a swoop him right out from under IU and Kansas. 

1 hour ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Drew Davis @1997Davis

Follow

Archie Miller was in New Albany today to watch Romeo Langford play in an open gym. #iubb
6:55 PM - 11 Oct 2017

Smart by Miller I would spend every sec I wasn't with this years team watching and talking to this kid till he is signed. Especially considering that IU is without a doubt in the top 3 and with     U of L out of the mix the local team. 

5 hours ago, EasyEJay said:

Smart by Miller I would spend every sec I wasn't with this years team watching and talking to this kid till he is signed. Especially considering that IU is without a doubt in the top 3 and with     U of L out of the mix the local team. 

I'm reading rumblings that Kansas may also be dropping out of the top 3.  Here's to hoping!

Looks like North Carolina is putting the big push on now. They don't often swing and miss.