• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
dave mosbey

Gibson Southern 5-0 at Heritage Hills 3-2

5 hours ago, RangerMan said:

You know it.  We have ALL kinds of kids moving into the corporation for football.  Now, basketball on the other hand, is a different story! 

Not sure how to take comment about basketball?????

7 hours ago, Titan32 said:

He was being funny my friend...being sarcastic on what points would fire up the two teams!  Although I will throw fuel on the sarcastic fire by insinuating that when we were in the big 8 most years we would have been top half of the PAC (just look at our results with non-conference South Spencer during that period)....the Big 8 was a buzz saw in those days.

Yes..the Big 8 in the 90s was maybe better than the SIAC at the time. Glory days...

Bring GibSo back and it could be a buzz saw again! Titans and the Raiders for Mt. Vernon and Boonville. I hate making those drives anyway. 

Just now, SEAL_63 said:

Yes..the Big 8 in the 90s was maybe better than the SIAC at the time. Glory days...

Bring GibSo back and it could be a buzz saw again! Titans and the Raiders for Mt. Vernon and Boonville. I hate making those drives anyway. 

Uh Oh...you are going to ruffle some feathers now!!  LOL

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Uh Oh...you are going to ruffle some feathers now!!  LOL

Haha I'm sure it's not the first time it's been discussed. But I digress from the topic at hand...

Sunshine, seems like we get a couple  kids each year that move in and play basketball. I think in the middle school, it's something 32 total 7th and 8th grade football players. 33 kids came out for 7th grade basketball. Crazy

Back to GS-HH! 

Edited by RangerMan

19 hours ago, Cappy said:

What is going on here? This thread was hidden on page 2!! Let me get you guys going again....

HH will never be the same again without Coach Clayton and Forest Park having football.

GS is only good because of Toyota, and really it's a farce because the conference is weeker nowadays 

:05_v:

I think 3 out of the past 4 seasons, Gibson Southern has pretty much run through the conference.  So I have to ask:  is this due to one great class that are now seniors, or has GS outgrown the conference?  It has happened before with other teams. If the conference IS weaker, it isn't helping them much getting prepared for the tournament, is it?   I noticed someone mentioned the Toyota plant as having an influence on the program.  Hasn't that plant been there for 20+ years?  If that is the case, then why has it only been an influence in just the past few years?  Just wondering.

52 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

I think 3 out of the past 4 seasons, Gibson Southern has pretty much run through the conference.  So I have to ask:  is this due to one great class that are now seniors, or has GS outgrown the conference?  It has happened before with other teams. If the conference IS weaker, it isn't helping them much getting prepared for the tournament, is it?   I noticed someone mentioned the Toyota plant as having an influence on the program.  Hasn't that plant been there for 20+ years?  If that is the case, then why has it only been an influence in just the past few years?  Just wondering.

Those comments from my friend at NP were tongue and cheek....he was throwing out some of the more ridiculous hot button topics that have been discussed over the years in a sarcastic effort to get this thread moving again.  GS turned the program around starting at youth level in 2001, that then had an middle school impact around 2005 and the final piece to the puzzle was Coach Hart in 2012.  It is well chronicled on many threads here.  GS is the biggest school in the conference (by a little)....but that doesn't mean much...ask Jasper and Castle.  We have upgraded our non-conference schedule to include 6A Southport.  To my knowledge there isn't a weak class at GS from 10th down through 1st grade except maybe the 5th grade....each class running 25-30 kids.  So far this season from JV down to 7th grade there is 1 loss.  JV, Freshman have broken away from the conference schedule and only play the top 3 conference teams and look to the upper teams in the SIAC and Big 8 for more consistent competition.  8th and 7th are finally starting to do the same.  Things look good for the foreseeable future....and we can blue sky about conference changes all day but GS isn't going anyplace (Forest Park made us look silly in basketball last season).  In terms of Toyota, there might be more people working at Toyota from Newburgh than Fort Branch.  That said, any time there is a large employer in the area the local economy benefits through the effect of spin off business and service economy business.  Has it helped?  Probably some....just hard to measure exactly.

Edited by Titan32
  • Upvote 1

Better eat prior to getting to the Jungle...not much to offer local unless you go to Mariah Hill and eat at the Chateau.

Not sure what exit off I-64 but there is a Wendy's and Denny's.  Good luck on your limited options.       

5 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Those comments from my friend at NP were tongue and cheek....he was throwing out some of the more ridiculous hot button topics that have been discussed over the years in a sarcastic effort to get this thread moving again.  GS turned the program around starting at youth level in 2001, that then had an middle school impact around 2005 and the final piece to the puzzle was Coach Hart in 2012.  It is well chronicled on many threads here.  GS is the biggest school in the conference (by a little)....but that doesn't mean much...ask Jasper and Castle.  We have upgraded our non-conference schedule to include 6A Southport.  To my knowledge there isn't a weak class at GS from 10th down through 1st grade except maybe the 5th grade....each class running 25-30 kids.  So far this season from JV down to 7th grade there is 1 loss.  JV, Freshman have broken away from the conference schedule and only play the top 3 conference teams and look to the upper teams in the SIAC and Big 8 for more consistent competition.  8th and 7th are finally starting to do the same.  Things look good for the foreseeable future....and we can blue sky about conference changes all day but GS isn't going anyplace (Forest Park made us look silly in basketball last season).  In terms of Toyota, there might be more people working at Toyota from Newburgh than Fort Branch.  That said, any time there is a large employer in the area the local economy benefits through the effect of spin off business and service economy business.  Has it helped?  Probably some....just hard to measure exactly.

Fair enough about the "tongue in cheek" comments.  Sounds like the future at GS is very bright.  Linton's JV does pretty much the same thing.  For years the JV has played a tougher schedule than the varsity.  Part of that was the SW7 (mostly area 1A schools) that Linton joined.  Most of those teams don't even have JV teams due to numbers so the JV had to fill their schedule with much bigger schools (like 3A, 4A, and 5A teams).  Linton went independent to get some tougher competition at the varsity level because they could (for many years)  easily  beat everyone on the schedule but had a tough time once they got to the semi-state(s).  In the past 2 years they have won semi-state (1A) and now look forward to the challenge of 2A.  As I suggested in my earlier post, maybe GS has outgrown the conference.    By all appearances I doubt very many of the other conference  teams have the numbers that GS does or has a great feeder system like the one at GS.  In the Linton thread this week one poster mentioned that Linton has "one of a kind feeder system".  I think they were talking about for the area.  Many teams have a great feeder system, and as you have mentioned:  Gibson Southern is one of them.  I wish them well and best of health!

Edited by itiswhatitis

24 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Fair enough about the "tongue in cheek" comments.  Sounds like the future at GS is very bright.  Linton's JV does pretty much the same thing.  For years the JV has played a tougher schedule than the varsity.  Part of that was the SW7 (mostly area 1A schools) that Linton joined.  Most of those teams don't even have JV teams due to numbers so the JV had to fill their schedule with much bigger schools (like 3A, 4A, and 5A teams).  Linton went independent to get some tougher competition at the varsity level because they could (for many years)  easily  beat everyone on the schedule but had a tough time once they got to the semi-state(s).  In the past 2 years they have won semi-state (1A) and now look forward to the challenge of 2A.  As I suggested in my earlier post, maybe GS has outgrown the conference.    By all appearances I doubt very many of the other conference  teams have the numbers that GS does or has a great feeder system like the one at GS.  In the Linton thread this week one poster mentioned that Linton has "one of a kind feeder system".  I think they were talking about for the area.  Many teams have a great feeder system, and as you have mentioned:  Gibson Southern is one of them.  I wish them well and best of health!

You guys have the system down and are rolling!  Good luck the rest of the way!

• Like 1

I have been reading all of this dialogue of how great GS is, and how they have been running through the conference, the reasons why they should look to leave the conference, blah blah blah(No this has not been from GS posters).  Yes it is evident that GS is on an upward trend, they are the measuring stick.  Yes they are the team at the top at the presently.  Yes they are once again having an outstanding year.  But to be very honest all this talk is getting a little vexing.  This trend, or this run of good luck will run it's course like most things do.   In due time there will be something better,  there will be something newer come along. I look back to the mid 80's and Tell City (Big 8 I know) was an absolute monster, then  South Spencer and their conference championships and consequent run to the dome, then  North Posey had it's moments in the sun.  Heritage Hills went on a decade long run, maybe a little more than a decade, 80 some odd straight regular season wins., state champion ship appearances etc.

Simple fact is this: good athletes come and they go.  They are here for a bit then they are gone, only to return again (hopefully).  I also feel that success can be double edged sword, a terrible dose of reality.  When schools first start finding success and winning ways, kids work crazy hard to get better.  Coaches work harder than they ever have to stay on top.  The community gets behind their teams and programs swell to unheard of numbers.  Then on the other side of that sword, winning sometimes can stem complacency. The fire and desire to strive to be the best fizzles, and kids start feeling entitled, "we are good because of who we are"!   The community can unknowingly put unreachable expectations on high school kids, winning isn't enough anymore, "you mean we only beat that team 21-7".  Before you know it this unbeatable program becomes very ordinary.  The interest is gone, the fire is gone, the FUN is gone.  This is more evident in smaller public schools I feel.  The funny thing is, all of this is okay, ordinary and extra-ordinary, ebbs and flows of athletic success, as long as it's fun and we/they(student athletes/fans) enjoy the game.  Because that's the important word, game, it's all just a game.

This is in no way me throwing shade at GS, it's just an opinion.  Right now GS  football is the program of the PAC, but GS needs to stay put in this very stable conference.  IMO GS needs to stay grounded and continue to go to work because others are out there working harder than they ever have to knock them off of their lofty perch.  Most importantly though the kids need to truly enjoy the run they are on, because it soon will end like all  good things do, and often without warning!!  

Good luck Friday.  Parents, students and players travel safe.  See you all in the jungle.        

• Upvote 1

Patriot74:  You did an outstanding job of explaining why our current conference alignment is outdated.  It is silly for a team to be stuck forever with the same schedule when obviously talent rises and falls from generation to generation.  Tell City, HH, GS (and just about everyone for that matter) would benefit from competitive scheduling to the needs of the program.  The conferences are the most significant restriction to competitive scheduling.

Simply put, it makes little sense for GS to play Tell City this year because maybe in twenty years Tell City is good again.  It makes even less sense for GS to play Tell City in football because the Softball team plays them.

Edited by Alduflux
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Don't know about that but the tougher schedule Linton plays now has made this year's group work especially harder and play harder.  Yes they are young and inexperienced and have made some mistakes, but they ARE growing.  Some of those kids were on the state title team last year.  They just don't want to lose.  I am a fan of football.  Yes I follow the MIners but keep an eye on MANY teams all over the state.  As I said in my original post, I noticed GS has been rolling the past few years.  I asked an honest question and meant no ill will towards any other teams in the conference.  I felt it was a good question that should raise some discussion.  I'll talk football with ANYONE. High school football has ALWAYS been and ALWAYS will be my passion.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Titan32 said:

Until you play a PAC team! :07_v:

• Upvote 1

I disagree that GS's run will end anytime soon. It ends when people stop putting in the effort in the feeder leagues beginning in first grade.  I like to look at Mater Dei's wrestling program.  It's a factory. Sure there are some years they have more talent than others. But even in their down years they are better than most in the state.  It's all about teaching kids fundamentals and love for the sport at a very early age.   And in each class to get players to hold each other accountable for making practice, workouts and training.   Once the process is in place… It can go on and on. Curious patriot74....do you think Mater Dei's wrestling run is going to end anytime soon ?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Titan20 said:

I disagree that GS's run will end anytime soon. It ends when people stop putting in the effort in the feeder leagues beginning in first grade.  I like to look at Mater Dei's wrestling program.  It's a factory. Sure there are some years they have more talent than others. But even in their down years they are better than most in the state.  It's all about teaching kids fundamentals and love for the sport at a very early age.   And in each class to get players to hold each other accountable for making practice, workouts and training.   Once the process is in place… It can go on and on. Curious patriot74....do you think Mater Dei's wrestling run is going to end anytime soon ?

After reading titan32's post about what is coming up through the feeder system, I'd have to agree that GS's run won't end any time soon.  Of course they have to gel together once they get into high school, but it sounds like they have a lot of good players on the way.  As I always say, "Time will tell".

15 hours ago, Alduflux said:

Patriot74:  You did an outstanding job of explaining why our current conference alignment is outdated.  It is silly for a team to be stuck forever with the same schedule when obviously talent rises and falls from generation to generation.  Tell City, HH, GS (and just about everyone for that matter) would benefit from competitive scheduling to the needs of the program.  The conferences are the most significant restriction to competitive scheduling.

Simply put, it makes little sense for GS to play Tell City this year because maybe in twenty years Tell City is good again.  It makes even less sense for GS to play Tell City in football because the Softball team plays them.

So you are effectively saying that from roughly 1992-2007 (the reason I chose those years is because it comes to 15 years) HH should have demanded to get out of the PAC??  In those years HH had a collective record of 182-20!!!  They hammered practically everyone in the conference year in and year out.  They got to the dome twice and played in the semi state game countless times.  The were the dominant program in the PAC.  

But you see the PAC did not make them better, or worse.  It had nothing to do with the conference and everything to do with playing the game against themselves.  That made them great.  Knowing that their every move on the field was going to be dissected during film made them practically unbeatable!!  Knowing that no coach on the staff cared about the final score, they only cared about individual grades, and personal performance.

So to answer the question I posed to you earlier about good teams leaving conferences that wane at times, the answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT.  The is no justification  to ever think that  your team's success is greater than a conference commitment, regardless of the talent levels ebbs and flows.  Sports generate money for schools so that all kids can have the opportunity to compete if they choose to, in any sport offered.  Football is not the one sport that should drive decisions on conference alignments!!    

Edited by Patriot74

10 minutes ago, Patriot74 said:

So you are effectively saying that from roughly 1992-2007 (the reason I chose those years is because it comes to 25 years)  

Uh....that is 15 years ....unless you are using common core math

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, Titan20 said:

Look.......don't get me started on Mater Dei, or for that matter any other parochial school and their success!!  I have my opinions about that and for the moment I will keep them to myself.  

As to your comment about GS's run ending soon, soon being the key word here.  Maybe I should have selected a different word than soon in my 1st post.  I will answer your question with some questions......do you think the Persians ever thought their empire would fall?  Or that the British ever imagined an upstart nation could ever defeat them?  Or that the BOston Celtics or the UCLA Bruins would ever have imagined that they would not be royalty of the basketball domain?  Do you think Titan 20 that youth coaches, or middle school coaches or even high school coaches are working any less effort, or teaching fewer fundamentals at Heritage Hills??  The answer in unequivocally NO.  The simple fact is EVERYTHING comes to an end at some point.  So this talk of GS leaving the conference, or any other scuttlebutt about them having to find "better" competition is folly to me.

Enjoy the ride you guys are on!!  As I said before good luck tonight!!!  The jungle hopefully will be hostile tonight!!

6 minutes ago, Titan76 said:

Uh....that is 15 years ....unless you are using common core math

Yea that's what I meant.  Thanks for the help  

The Jungle will be rockin tonight , hot and steamy under the lights ! I just feel like the Titans spread that HH defense too thin and overcome with too many athletes. If the Patriots can keep them from busting big plays, get them on the ground and make them keep snapping the ball they may have a chance. That's a big "if" though.

Again, as I stated in the beginning, this game will be closer than predicted by most. IMO. The big play , if it happens, will be what GS needs to stop.  

I think the question of conferences on this thread is this: 

Would you rather win 15 conference championships in 20 years and a state title or 2, or would you rather win a couple conference championships and 5 state titles in 20 years?

It's all hypothetical, steel sharpens steel is the theory.  

The last thought is why I'm glad we travel to the jungle tonight.  Good luck to both squads.  

1 hour ago, Patriot74 said:

Look.......don't get me started on Mater Dei, or for that matter any other parochial school and their success!!  I have my opinions about that and for the moment I will keep them to myself.  

As to your comment about GS's run ending soon, soon being the key word here.  Maybe I should have selected a different word than soon in my 1st post.  I will answer your question with some questions......do you think the Persians ever thought their empire would fall?  Or that the British ever imagined an upstart nation could ever defeat them?  Or that the BOston Celtics or the UCLA Bruins would ever have imagined that they would not be royalty of the basketball domain?  Do you think Titan 20 that youth coaches, or middle school coaches or even high school coaches are working any less effort, or teaching fewer fundamentals at Heritage Hills??  The answer in unequivocally NO.  The simple fact is EVERYTHING comes to an end at some point.  So this talk of GS leaving the conference, or any other scuttlebutt about them having to find "better" competition is folly to me.

Enjoy the ride you guys are on!!  As I said before good luck tonight!!!  The jungle hopefully will be hostile tonight!!

Yea that's what I meant.  Thanks for the help  

You know looking back through recent history. Maybe heritage hills would have won more state titles if they had a tougher schedule. I mean they lost to SIAC, BIG 8 , and Indy Schools when they got deep in the playoff. You can't tell me that wouldn't have helped. GS is kinda following the same footprints that heritage hills laid out so far with their success. So toughening up the schedule is maybe what we need to do?  I mean look at Chatard and their schedule. Now we all know they pull from all over Indy but lets face it they're in our class 3A so we have to adjust to try and keep up with teams like that in my opinion. I'm not sure what the answer is to make it better for everyone. But I hope if something does change Heritage Hills and Gibson Southern stay in the same conference whatever that may be. ON A SIDE NOTE.  GO TITANS. Look for the Titans passing defense to be tested tonight.

I think every established "program" expects ebbs and tides.  The goal is to out "progam" the competition, so that even if you are down in terms of super talented athletes the level of football you play is high enough to be in the discussion for Sectional and Conference championships.  When it becomes about waiting for awesome athletes you end up with 3A teams (or larger) that have 9 guys going both ways.