• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Tackle football before age 12 may boost risks of cognitive, mood disorders

https://arstechnica.com/science/2017/09/tackle-football-before-age-12-may-boost-risks-of-cognitive-mood-disorders/

Taking hard knocks early in life could shove football players toward neurological problems later, a new study suggests.

Among 214 former amateur and professional male football players, those who started playing early—particularly before the age of 12—had greater risks of reporting depression and impaired behavioral regulation and executive function around their 50s, researchers found. Their study, published today in Translational Psychiatry, adds to a pileup of data that suggests playing tackle football as a youth can have long-term health impacts.

The researchers, led by neurologist Robert Stern at Boston University, specifically homed in on those that began playing tackle before the age of 12, a typical cut-off period for major brain development.

“Between ages 9 and 12 is a time of peak maturation of gray and white matter volume, synaptic and neurotransmitter densities and glucose utilization, among other neurodevelopmental milestones,” they write.

There have been hints before that hard hits during this time can have lasting impacts. In 2015, Stern and colleagues studied 42 former National Football League players and found that those who began playing before age 12 had greater risks of cognitive impairment later in life. And last year, researchers led by neurologists at Wake Forest School of Medicine found that repetitive head impacts in 25 youth players, aged 8 to 13, led to structural changes in their brainswithout causing concussions.

But, in another study last year, researchers attempted—and failed—to reproduce a link between early football playing and greater risks of cognitive impairments in 45 retired NFL players. For the study, the players’ medical exams were sponsored by the NFL, which has been accused of meddling with research. And several of the authors, including lead author Gary Solomon of Vanderbilt University, have consulted and/or worked with the NFL in the past.

More troubling data for the future of youth tackle football.

Another study conducted with convenience sampling and therefore contains self-selection bias. 

Not to dismiss any findings - but I wish popular press articles spent half as much time discussing that instead of writing sensational headlines.

For example, I am a fan of - and sent my kids to - a P/P school. If I show up at a PTO meeting and conduct a survey of P/P parents, would any conclusions I draw about the state of HS education be valid?

Maybe. Maybe not. But you can't ignore the fact all the respondents were drawn from my convenience sample - and my results should be met with a healthy dose of skepticism.

• Upvote 3

So players who suited up to play youth league in the early 1980's have a higher chance of cognitive disorders??  I'm not a scientist, but how would they know a hit at 10 years old caused cognitive disorders 40 years later.  Plus, who are the 42 former NFL players... do they all show signs of cognitive problems.  That isn't even taking into consideration their personal history.  I find it interesting that the post gives vague statistics and quotes... then questions the results of another study that contradicts their findings.