• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley
Sign in to follow this  
Veechy63

Why a brain scientist let his son play football

I haven't decided whether the media people who trumpet these misleading headlines are doing so out of a need for sensationalism, or whether they genuinely don't understand basic research and statistical analysis concepts such as selection or sampling bias, measurement bias, etc. Probably some combination of both. But the scholarly articles on the subject almost always contain a discussion of the various biases in the research methodology. The people writing these articles in the press, or the talking heads on TV, probably don't even read the actual articles. Amazing what passes for "journalism" these days.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, bobref said:

I haven't decided whether the media people who trumpet these misleading headlines are doing so out of a need for sensationalism, or whether they genuinely don't understand basic research and statistical analysis concepts such as selection or sampling bias, measurement bias, etc. Probably some combination of both. But the scholarly articles on the subject almost always contain a discussion of the various biases in the research methodology. The people writing these articles in the press, or the talking heads on TV, probably don't even read the actual articles. Amazing what passes for "journalism" these days.

Crazy, huh? Status quo doesn't sell papers/subscriptions. If you watch ESPN or FOX Sports 1 it's clear to see that sensationalism, and argumentative opinion shows are all the rage. People feel the need to have the next big story or insight. Common sense seems to lose all value. Science is undefeated however. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bobref said:

I think it's more about confirmation bias. 

"I don't like football because it (is more popular than my favorite sport, has a pro sports league run by millionaires, is a sport supported by people I don't like, some other reason), therefore, here's something that supports my view that football is bad.:" 

• Upvote 2

Do any of you coaches/school admins attempt to disseminate this kind of an article to your school/football communities?   

18 hours ago, tango said:

Do any of you coaches/school admins attempt to disseminate this kind of an article to your school/football communities?   

I'm telling anyone who will listen for sure!

4 minutes ago, El Tigre said:

Mudaaaaa? . . . Muuuuda?? . . . Muuuuudaaaa???

Dude. I've been wondering where the trolls have been. Haha

• Upvote 1

saw the same tweet about 30 times last night on my timeline on this article.    

:17_v:

• Haha 1

Just now, Coach Nowlin said:

saw the same tweet about 30 times last night on my timeline on this article.    

:17_v:

Maybe if you say Muda's name 3 times, he'll appear like BeetleJuice. 

• Upvote 1

Great find on the article. I wonder why there isn't more discussion on this thread? Is it a case of football people already knowing what the article points out?

1 minute ago, Woody Hayes said:

Great find on the article. I wonder why there isn't more discussion on this thread? Is it a case of football people already knowing what the article points out?

I'm not sure. Perhaps there aren't many that disagree with the article. I wouldn't mind hearing a well thought out counter point if anyone has one. I haven't been a member for long but there are NO lack of intelligent (or at least passionate) opinions out here.

1 minute ago, Veechy63 said:

I'm not sure. Perhaps there aren't many that disagree with the article. I wouldn't mind hearing a well thought out counter point if anyone has one. I haven't been a member for long but there are NO lack of intelligent (or at least passionate) opinions out here.

There is no counter point that I've seen if you look at it rationally.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Woody Hayes said:

There is no counter point that I've seen if you look at it rationally.

My thoughts exactly.

I'm sure he (Muda) will find something about this that lacks all credibility... 

1 minute ago, Von2Rov said:

I'm sure he (Muda) will find something about this that lacks all credibility... 

He'll try I'm sure...this thread is a big worm on the end of a giant troll hook, he'll be here.

• Haha 1

Just now, Veechy63 said:

He'll try I'm sure...this thread is a big worm on the end of a giant troll hook, he'll be here.

Just a matter of time...

• Haha 1

I posted this article to my social feed a while back and got shouted down by several vehement, loud, angry anti-football crusaders demanding "scientific research." I posted something from the Mayo Clinic, and apparently, that wasn't good enough for them. 

At least one was consistent. Usually, the answer about "what happens when we ban football" is a variant of "SOCCER! It will finally become the most popular sport ever as it should be" and the agenda is revealed. At least one crusader was also apparently anti-soccer (but then I discovered was suing both USA Football & the USSF, so they had a financial interest in hysteria). 

Edited by crimsonace1

2 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

At least one was consistent. Usually, the answer about "what happens when we ban football" is a variant of "SOCCER! It will finally become the most popular sport ever as it should be" and the agenda is revealed. 

Which is crazy considering statistically soccer is worse for concussions than football, especially at the college level. 

30 minutes ago, Veechy63 said:

Which is crazy considering statistically soccer is worse for concussions than football, especially at the college level. 

Source?

1 hour ago, Veechy63 said:

11 minutes ago, Veechy63 said:

I assume you're trying say that men's soccer is safer? Not trying to put words in your mouth I'm just asking. If so, here's a scholarly journal saying rates are similar. Idk if that helps, jusst happened to have it.

http://journals.lww.com/cjsportsmed/Citation/2005/07000/Head_Injuries_and_Concussions_in_Soccer.4.aspx

you stated soccer is worse but the journal says similar....what you trying to pull Veechy ?

12 minutes ago, dazed and confused said:

you stated soccer is worse but the journal says similar....what you trying to pull Veechy ?

Perhaps I should have said "just as worse". Must be the brain damage from 10 years of tackle football, oops. haha