• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/28/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romaine Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak  Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street
Sign in to follow this  
JQWL

Youth/Feeder Programs

I know there is a forum for Youth but it gets no traffic. I was reading on the Linton/North Daviess thread how some areas operate their youth programs and the leagues they play in and I was wondering what other areas do. In our area, we have Springs Valley, Mitchell, Paoli, and Crawford County which make up two divisions. A 3rd/4th grade division and a 5th/6th grade division. SV and Paoli have 2 teams in each division and Mitchell and CC have one each currently. That's has fluxuated throughout the years as numbers are up and down. SV actually has a 5th grade team and a 6th grade team. The others in that division are mixed. I've always wanted the league to consist of all the PLAC teams but currently West Washington plays in a Washington County league and I'm not sure what Perry Central does. It feels like the high school program has influence over the teams in the league. Mitchell, Paoli, and SV teams seem to run an offensive system similar to the high school. Can't say for sure about CC. Hard to identify what's going on sometimes.

What does everyone else do?

Flag Football at Rensselaer for 2nd grade thru 5th grade,   2nd year of the program

6-7-8th grade teams.   6/7 combined.  

Gibson Southern:  Kids from all our feeder (elementary/middle schools) can participate.  Three divisions:  1st and 2nd flag, 2nd and 3rd tackle, 5th and 6th tackle.  Our league is self contained and we do NOT do any inter-league play.  We do have a grade level tournament team for for every grade 4th through 6th for pre and post league season tournament play.

7th and 8th play a "middle school" football schedule...these programs are ran by the school corp (not volunteer like the youth league). The "middle school" schedule used to kind of follow the High School conference schedule but they are starting to deviate from that which makes a lot of sense since our Freshman and JV teams now only play the top teams in our conference and look to other conferences for more competitive games for a few years now.  Only our Varsity football team plays the complete conference schedule at the HS level.

Edited by Titan32

Our youth program actually existed before our varsity program. It's Flag for kids 4-7 years old and contact for kids 8-12 years old. They seem to travel all over the place (including Ohio). They even have cheerleaders, it's nuts. They exist as their own entity with the support of the school corp. 

3 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Gibson Southern:  Kids from all our feeder (elementary/middle schools) can participate.  Three divisions:  1st and 2nd flag, 2nd and 3rd tackle, 5th and 6th tackle.  Our league is self contained and we do NOT do any inter-league play.  We do have a grade level tournament team for for every grade 4th through 6th for pre and post league season tournament play.

What's the deal with "NOT" in all caps? What statement is that meant to make?

19 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Flag Football at Rensselaer for 2nd grade thru 5th grade,   2nd year of the program

Coach, what is the thought process behind flag through 5th grade? I've seen it K-2nd, but I haven't seen it through 5th grade.

Shenandoah's youth league has Flag for 1st-3rd graders but 3rd graders who meet a minimum weight requirement can play tackle. They also must play tackle if they are over a certain weight maximum I think, but not positive on that. 

4th-6th graders play tackle. We are self contained, don't play anyone outside. No tournament, no league standings, just play 5 games and we are done.

Our 7th and 8th graders play middle school football against other schools in the area. 

1 minute ago, Woody Hayes said:

What's the deal with "NOT" in all caps? What statement is that meant to make?

Don't read a lot into that.  Just emphasizing the fact the league is self contained because we have the numbers to pull it off.

Edited by Titan32

5 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

How many teams are you able to have in each division since it all feeds into Gibson Southern?

Just now, Titan32 said:

Don't read a lot into that.  Just emphasizing the fact the league is self contained because we have the numbers to pull it off.

Gotcha. It's awesome when a school can do a self contained league. Definitely the best way to set it up. Congrats on that!

9 minutes ago, JQWL said:

How many teams are you able to have in each division since it all feeds into Gibson Southern?

I'm not as involved as I used to be....but historically 6 flag teams, and 4 teams in each tackle division.  Titan54 and Titan76 and Titan20 would be the experts now days.

No expert here.  We normally average 30 kids per grade.   It allows us to have 4 tackle teams in 2 age divisions.   We spread flag kids over 6 teams with the idea of kids staying on the field for an entire game.  

TYFL will again host the Titan Clash Oct. 28 and 29th at Gibson Southern High School.  4th grade, 5th grade and 6th grade divisions.  More info to follow, but it is a pretty good tournament. So bring your teams.

Edited by Titan76

Fountain Central.  Has teams divided equally for 2-3  and 4-6.  They play among themselves in a 4 to 5 week league. 

Sagamore Youth Football Conference-- Started this year...

• Tri-West, Danville, North Montgomery, Southmont, Western Boone, Crawfordsville
    • Divisions:
      • 6th Grade (like a Jr. High Team, but not affiliated with School)-- Webo, TW, Danville 1, Danville 2, Southmont, North Montgomery, C-Ville
        • Webo did also play Lafayette Jeff, Zionsville, Lebanon, and Sheridan
      • Major (4th/5th Grade)--15 Teams
        • 7 Game Reg Season, Top 7 teams go into tournament; Other 8 teams play a bowl style game (15 seed plays 14 seed, 13 seed plays 12 seed, etc.)
          • Webo (3), Danville (4), TW (3), North (2), South (2), C-Ville (1)
      • Minor (2nd/3rd Grade)--11 Teams
        • 7 game Reg Season, Top 7 go into tournament; other 4 play a bowl style game (11 seed plays 10 seed, 9 seed plays 8 seed)
          • Webo (2), TW (3), Danville (4), South (2)

North & Cville do a modified flag for their 2nd/3rd grade... They wear helmets/shoulder pads but it is still flag...

Each school does the K-1st grade a bit different but they do it "in house" (no traveling)

34 minutes ago, Titan76 said:

TYFL will again host the Titan Clash Oct. 28 and 29th at Gibson Southern High School.  4th grade, 5th grade and 6th grade divisions.  More info to follow, but it is a pretty good tournament. So bring your teams.

This tournament has been going on for a while now.  How long has it been?

Monrovia Youth Football usually has 2-3 teams in each division 1-2(tackle), 3-4(tackle), 5-6(tackle). We participate with teams from North Putnam, Speedway, Cascade, Cloverdale, South Putnam. Each of these schools have however many teams they can for each division.

Our 7-8 graders participate in Middle School Football and they each have their own team. Usually competing vs our ICC opponents, with the addition of a few others, since our Catholic schools have their own MS league.

Center Grove has a league for 1st & 2nd graders, another for 3rd & 4th graders, and another for 5th & 6th graders who don't play on the Jr. Trojans.

Edited by Grover

7 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Pop Warner too??? We played against them at the Jr. Pee Wee level (basically 5th & 6th graders) this past week.

LaPorte has a Pop Warner program.  2 Tiny Mite teams, 2 Jr. Mighty Mite teams, 1 Mighty Mite team, and 2 Jr. Pee Wee teams this year.  There are also 7th and 8th grade teams at each of the 2 middle schools.  6th graders who are big enough can play with the 7th grade team.  

Sullivan

Eastern Greene

North Knox

Washington

North Central 

North Davies

At the end of the season they play a tournament and crown a champion. Sullivan always has 2 3/4 and 2 5/6. Other teams used to have two teams but not the rest have one team per age group. 

Sullivan has flag for K-6 in the spring and tackle for 3-6 in the fall. 

linton is mostly self contained league but do play sullivan every year.

vincennes has several teams and used to be self contained.

terre haute has a boys and girls club league and a county league. One league partners with rockville, northview, etc...

Edited by navy80

Been out of it a couple of years now, but Avon has flag for K-1 (some 2nd grade also if parents choose); Jr Tackle for 2nd grade; Minors for 3-4, and Majors for 5-6.  Also has Jr Orioles for 5-6 for more competitive travel (IEFA).

Little Gridiron League features teams from:

• Lafayette Central Catholic
  • Benton Central
  • Frontier
  • Klondike (feeds into 5A Harrison)
  • South Newton

Kankakee Valley has also played for several years, but isn't playing this season.  Last season, Little Gridiron programs played a few exhibition games against Monticello Youth Football and will again play some this season.  Would be nice to potentially merge the two leagues, but right things are just in talks to see if there's any possibility there.  Always looking for other programs that are interested in expanding out and playing.

LGI has two divisions: 3rd/4th grade and 5th/6th grade ... both tackle.  There is flag football in the areas, but it isn't associated/affiliated with LGI.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Little Gridiron League features teams from:

• Lafayette Central Catholic
  • Benton Central
  • Frontier
  • Klondike (feeds into 5A Harrison)
  • South Newton

Kankakee Valley has also played for several years, but isn't playing this season.  Last season, Little Gridiron programs played a few exhibition games against Monticello Youth Football and will again play some this season.  Would be nice to potentially merge the two leagues, but right things are just in talks to see if there's any possibility there.  Always looking for other programs that are interested in expanding out and playing.

LGI has two divisions: 3rd/4th grade and 5th/6th grade ... both tackle.  There is flag football in the areas, but it isn't associated/affiliated with LGI.

Wonder why KV isn't playing little gridiron. Have you heard?  I have not. 

My guess would be numbers low and not being able to "compete" for players w the KV pop warner. 

Never figured out,  nor would anyone from these parts officially confirm,  why KV had pw and lg. 

Just now, Coach Ellenwood said:

Wonder why KV isn't playing little gridiron. Have you heard?  I have not. 

My guess would be numbers low and not being able to "compete" for players w the KV pop warner. 

Never figured out,  nor would anyone from these parts officially confirm,  why KV had pw and lg. 

I hadn't heard why.  They had a change of leadership a couple of years ago and I think the transition was kind of abrupt instead of smooth and that may have had something to do with it. 

It was my understanding when KV joined Little Gridiron many years ago that, while there was PW up in that area, there were some kids/families that were looking for an alternative to playing PW ball.  I got the impression that the reasoning was not necessarily tied to football per se. 

How big is the PW program in that area and what programs do they play ... or are they fairly self-contained?  

Linton is K-7 yrs old flag football; 4 teams of 14-16 kids in grades 2-4 tackle; 3 teams of 14-15 in grades 5/6.  We are self contained with the exception of a game or two playing area teams... We do travel with a 4th grade and 6th grade all star team after the regular season(we have enjoyed playing at the Titan Clash).  During the season everybody plays... this does put us at a disadvantage against area "A" teams, but who cares how many games you win at that age. 

7/8 grade used to play many teams of the SW7 conference, but that wasn't really providing the competition we wanted.  We have always fielded a 7th and 8th grade team... Some smaller schools couldn't or wouldn't play us 2 games. We try to schedule 9-10 games.  It hasn't been easy to find quality games due to limitations on travel during the week.  We've tried to schedule Saturday games, but many schools would rather play through the week. 

Edited by Greene County Coach
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, foxbat said:

I hadn't heard why.  They had a change of leadership a couple of years ago and I think the transition was kind of abrupt instead of smooth and that may have had something to do with it. 

It was my understanding when KV joined Little Gridiron many years ago that, while there was PW up in that area, there were some kids/families that were looking for an alternative to playing PW ball.  I got the impression that the reasoning was not necessarily tied to football per se. 

How big is the PW program in that area and what programs do they play ... or are they fairly self-contained?  

Thanks for your time Fox. How big numbers wise, that I am not 100% sure. They play other communities. Not sure which ones anymore.