Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

A superintendent used her son's insurance for a sick student. She was charged with fraud.

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/2019/01/24/elwood-indiana-superintendent-casey-smitherman-insurance-fraud-sick-student/2665670002/

A superintendent of an Indiana school district faces fraud charges for using her insurance to obtain $233 in medical care for a sick student.

Elwood Community Schools Superintendent Casey Smitherman was charged with three felonies and a misdemeanor in an insurance fraud case after she allegedly used her son's insurance to get treatment for a sick student.

"I am committed to this community and our students and I regret if this action has undermined your trust in me," Smitherman said in a statement to Fox 59. "From the beginning, my ultimate goal has been to provide the best environment for Elwood students’ growth physically, mentally and academically and I remain focused on that purpose."

According to a probable cause affidavit, Smitherman was worried about the 15-year-old boy when he did not come to school on Jan. 9. She contacted him and he told her he was sick and had a sore throat.

Smitherman, documents said, picked the boy up and took him to St. Vincent Immediate Care in Elwood. She admitted to using her son's insurance card's to pay for the care, documents said.

The boy, using the name of Smitherman's son, was prescribed the antibiotic Amoxicillin. Smitherman, documents said, filled that prescription at a CVS in Elwood.

The total bill was $233, documents said.

"Mrs Smitherman stated she realized (the boy) did not go to school and was worried about him," Elwood Police Officer Ben Gosnell wrote in the document. "Mrs. Smitherman (has) helped him by purchasing clothes and trying to give (the boy) a decent way of living by also helping clean his house."

Smitherman told police she didn't call the Department of Child Services for fear the boy might be placed in foster care. DCS has since opened an investigation, documents said.

Smitherman was booked Wednesday into the Madison County Jail on felony charges of insurance fraud, identity deception and official misconduct and another misdemeanor count of insurance fraud.

She was later freed on $5,000 bond, records show.

No court date has been scheduled.

Hmm.  Something seems to be missing regarding Ms. Smitherman's motives and actions here.  The Elwood Community School Corporation has over 1,500 students.  Exactly why was this teenage boy singled out by her?

Edited by Muda69