Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

DTs Week 2 Northern Indiana Teams of the Week

Guest DT

Northwest Indiana

I like the Portage Indians in this slot, following their very impressive 35-9 victory over Lowell.  Despite the 6A - 4A matchup, Lowell has the had the upper hand in this battle over the years.  Portage is not a threat to win the DAC, but the program does seem to be making strides in Year 4 under Darren Rodriguez.  Portage and Lake Central will meet up in The Battle of the Indians this week at LC.  I like Portage to come out on top.  

North Central Indiana

Its absolutely the Warsaw Tigers, following Bart Curtis' teams very impressive road win at Michigan City on Friday night.  This mifght have been one of the biggest regular season games in Warsaw football history.  You've got to like the trajectory that this program is on.  Warsaw opens NLC play this week at home against always tough Plymouth.  Is it too early to say that WHS might just run the regular season season table this year?

North East Indiana

Despite the narrow loss, FW Carroll makes a statement in a 21-20 loss at conference kingpin FW Snider.  Carroll looks like its ready to compete for a SAC title for the first time since joining the conference.

Believe it or not, I’m tipping my cap to the Whiting Oilers. They’ve long been the most successful of the smaller “urban” schools in NW Indiana, but never got as far as they would have liked in the tourney. So, they are trying to upgrade their non-conference schedule. They traveled all the way to Evansville Saturday  to play Mater Dei. They got waxed 52-16, but now those kids have a taste of what it is like on the next level. It will help them in the long run, and kudos to the program for being willing to take on such a formidable challenge.

• Like 3

I think it's a toss-up between Carroll and Warsaw.

Based on how this series had gone over the last few years, I was expecting Snider to "mercy rule" Carroll. I couldn't have been more wrong about the Chargers. Their 42-0 blasting of Luers was no fluke and the Knights showed last Friday that they aren't too bad of a football team. They have some big physical kids (not that skinny #23), quick wide receivers,  and a sophomore qb who is going to give the SAC fits for the next few years. I don't know if this program has turned the corner for good, but they will be solid at least for the next couple of years. 

I can't say I'm that surprised that Warsaw went up to MC and game back with a W. They have a great coach who's taken over a program in a great community. They will be in a thorn in the Kingsman's side come sectional time. 

Given that I was picking Michigan City to win at home against the Tigers, I've got to give Warsaw a slight edge over Carroll for Northern Team of the Week. 

16 hours ago, DT said:

Northwest Indiana

I like the Portage Indians in this slot, following their very impressive 35-9 victory over Lowell.  Despite the 6A - 4A matchup, Lowell has the had the upper hand in this battle over the years.  Portage is not a threat to win the DAC, but the program does seem to be making strides in Year 4 under Darren Rodriguez.  Portage and Lake Central will meet up in The Battle of the Indians this week at LC.  I like Portage to come out on top.  

North Central Indiana

Its absolutely the Warsaw Tigers, following Bart Curtis' teams very impressive road win at Michigan City on Friday night.  This mifght have been one of the biggest regular season games in Warsaw football history.  You've got to like the trajectory that this program is on.  Warsaw opens NLC play this week at home against always tough Plymouth.  Is it too early to say that WHS might just run the regular season season table this year?

North East Indiana

Despite the narrow loss, FW Carroll makes a statement in a 21-20 loss at conference kingpin FW Snider.  Carroll looks like its ready to compete for a SAC title for the first time since joining the conference.

We've heard the Carroll comment every year since they joined the SAC......

10 hours ago, Tommy said:

Check out Warsaw High School senior kicker Harrison Mevis.  #2 ranked high school kicker in he nation.  This kid will be playing on Sunday’s in about 5 years.

Heard dude was solid last Friday! Any offers yet?

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

Believe it or not, I’m tipping my cap to the Whiting Oilers. They’ve long been the most successful of the smaller “urban” schools in NW Indiana, but never got as far as they would have liked in the tourney. So, they are trying to upgrade their non-conference schedule. They traveled all the way to Evansville Saturday  to play Mater Dei. They got waxed 52-16, but now those kids have a taste of what it is like on the next level. It will help them in the long run, and kudos to the program for being willing to take on such a formidable challenge.

couldn't agree more!!!  

Warsaw will continue to be a tough out.   GREAT KICKER, puts opposing teams 80 yards to paydirt each and every time.    Warsaw will make you have to capitalize on each of your offensive possessions because of their triple option scheme eats the clock and ball.  So you better get points every time you have the ball because it might be only 4 or 5 total possessions in a game.    Winning 21-7 for Warsaw is like a 49-0 blowout for uptempo spread teams.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I believe he has offers from Army, Air Force and Washington State as of right now. He nailed the game winning 51 yard field goal with about 4 minutes or so left in the game with about 3 yards to spare. Absolute cannon for a right leg.

18 hours ago, Bobref said:

I appreciate that. 

While the overall reason we played the game because we literally couldn't find anyone else in four states that was a good fit to play a game with besides EMD, there were obviously other factors we considered.  in spite the thrashing we took, the kids loved the experience including the traveling.  I'd consider something like this every other year or so.  

Next year we have a one year contract with Mishawaka Marian Week 2 at our place.  It's official but we haven't put it out there... until now!  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

I think I was also told Howe Military Academy?

Could be, I've always heard Clay was the most northern school. On a side note, I thought I heard Howe Military was closing it's doors at the end of last year or maybe this was the final year because of funding. Might be confused with another academy tho

7 minutes ago, haliker said:

Clay is probably 1 mile away from the Michigan state line, and Howe has got to be pretty close to that as well.  Does Howe have a football team?

Howe closed at the end of last school year. They stopped playing football 5 years ago or so.

23 hours ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Army and Washington State according to Rivals.com.   Opened the scoring with a FG from 46 after MC was intercepted on the first play from scrimmage and booted the game winner from 51.  All his KOs five yards out of the back of the EZ each time making MC go 80 yards all the return man could do is stand at the goal line and watch the ball sail over his head.

Edited by Tommy