Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Doyel: NCAA softens name, image and likeness stance, and chaos will follow

Muda69

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/2020/04/29/ncaa-softens-name-image-and-likeness-stance-and-chaos-follow/3050443001/

Take what you know about college athletics, stare at it for a moment, and shred it into mulch. Now dump it onto the ground, because what you know about college athletics is fertilizer. It’s crap.

What happened on Wednesday had to happen. Make no mistake. But what happened on Wednesday has rendered college sports, as we know them, null and void.

Sorry:

NIL and void.

It’s the issue of name, image and likeness. The NCAA embraced it on Wednesday, sort of, embracing it like a snake handler embraces an Eastern diamondback: Carefully, knowing the thing can kill you.

The NCAA had no choice, or we wouldn’t be here. California forced the NCAA’s hand by passing a law in early 2019 allowing college athletes in its state to profit from their name, image and likeness. Perhaps the NCAA could have kicked the can down the road a few years, sending its schools in California a stern memo about the NCAA legality of such a thing, while hoping the rest of the country wrote off the movement in California as those radicals doing whatever it is they do.

But almost immediately, lawmakers in New York and South Carolina proposed similar laws, and a state representative in Florida announced he would be doing the same. And with that, the game was over.

Get ready for the new game.

The only valid argument against college athletes earning money from endorsements is this one: It might ruin college sports. And it might. Pretty valid argument, as far as arguments go.

Not valid arguments:

We’ve never done it this way.

Athletes already get enough.

I don’t like it.

There are myriad arguments in favor of college athletes cashing in on their name, likeness and image, but here’s the only one you need to know: It’s the American way. Another way of saying that: It’s the most basic form of capitalism. Another way of saying it: It’s fair.

And another way: Why should coaches make all the damn money? Are you buying a ticket or turning on the TV to watch Nick Saban stand there in his khakis?

Back in the 1970s, back when the old scholarship system was the unquestioned way to compensate athletes for their time and talent, coaches like Barry Switzer, at places like Oklahoma, lived in neighborhoods like mine. My dad was a grunt in a Norman law firm, a lawyer, yes, but one just starting out. He was 29. We had a house with three bedrooms, two baths. Small yard. No pool. It’s what he could afford.

Barry Switzer lived around the corner in a similar house. It’s what he could afford, I guess.

Today, the coach at Oklahoma is Lincoln Riley. I can only imagine where he lives, but it’s nowhere near 2620 S. Berry Road, I promise you that. Riley earns $6 million a year.

It’s time for athletes at Oklahoma to receive more than a scholarship for their time and talent. It’s time for athletes everywhere.

In for interesting times concerning college athletics.  Can't wait to purchase and wear a Purdue football jersey with "Karlaftis" on the back of it, and young Mr. Karlaftis will get a piece of the pie.  Right?