• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
BuckLateral

"Offensive" Team names, a la Washington

Sports talk radio is rife with discussions about the pressure being brought to bear on the NFL Washington team (won't say their controversial nickname) to change its name.

Looking around the state of Indiana, I have noticed that many, many teams have names that could be considered offensive.  Florida State and Illinois state that their team names honor the indigenous populations, whereas Stanford and Miami of Ohio have changed their names.

Thoughts on this topic?

This country is way too sensitive these days. 

What's next, PETA complaining that an animal nickname is degrading?

Looking at sports team names of late: Heat, Thunder, Pelicans?  Suffice to say that organizations and teams steer clear of anything that might even be construed controversial.  However, the history of the name Redskins is a different matter altogether.....while others seem picayunish, this one has teeth, IMHO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redskin_%28slang%29

So are the New York Yankees changing their names as well? Someone might be offended. :lol: as stated before, this country has become way too sensitive.

• Upvote 1

Heat = the utility companies should be up in arms over this one.

Thunder = the meterologists are secretly holding meetings over this one.

Pelicans = Larry Bird might be miffed over this one.  Has anyone even bothered to ask him?  LOL

Ridiculous?  Okay then.  What about the Jets?  I don't hear pilots or the airlines whining about that one.

Yeah, what Olympian06 said.

While I agree that much of the uproar is frivolous (see the thread entitled "Plymouth Rockies. REALLY?), I find myself unable to condone a team nickname that finds its roots in the systematic genocide of an indigenous people.  I kinda have a problem with that.

The  Washington Redskins drop the word "Washington" from their name ..........because it's embarrassing.

LMAO Momma.  And at the same time, sad.

This is just a small piece of the erosion of society in general. Weather it be no winners or loosers in little league sports (everybody gets a trophy) to the removal of any remnant of God from everything, to the removal of the pledge of allegiance. Ect...ect... it never ends. Smh.I'm of irish decent so I'm offended that they depict irish as abrasive fighting people.let me call my lawyer, ND you've hurt me. Gmafb.

It is weird to me why some people who are not in the group that the nickname refers to, like Bob Costas or (I assume) most the folks on this board, think that it matters that they think the term either is offensive or is not offensive.  What matters is what most Native-Americans think: do they find the term "Redskins" derogatory and offensive?  If so, then it would seem logical to change the team's nickname, unless someone is a jerk who enjoys offending people.  

It is completely irrelevant whether non-Native-Americans think that Native-Americans should or shouldn't be offended by the term "Redskins".  Non-Italians don't get to decide if the term "dago" is offensive to Italians, and non-Irish don't get to decide if the term "mick" is offensive to the Irish.  If most Native-Americans consider the nickname offensive, then get rid of it, regardless of whether some white guy doesn't think it should be taken as offensive by them; likewise, if most Native-Americans don't have a problem with the nickname, then keep it, regardless of whether some other white guy thinks they ought to be offended by it. 

That's why the "Yankees" and "Fighting Irish" nicknames haven't been a problem -- most the people who live in the Northeast are not offended if someone calls them a Yankee, and most Irish-Americans don't find the term "Fighting Irish" derogatory.  But if that changed for some reason -- and as we all know, people's views on things like this do sometimes change  -- then it would be appropriate for both teams to change their nicknames. 

It seems pretty simple to me.

• Upvote 2

I laugh at this, click here and you will see why.  Red Mesa High School is on an indian Reservation in Arizona, many of the indians take offense to Washington using the name, but one of the school on their own reservation uses the same name and logo.

If they can use and PROFIT from the Washington Redskins likeness they cannot find it to bad.  Of course if I am Snyder and they speak out against the use of the name, I would have to be tempted to pull the rights of them to use the logo.  If the name is offensive to the members of the tribe, why do the members of the tribe call themselves the same thing?

http://www.prepsportswear.com/school/us/Arizona/Teec_Nos_Pos/Red-Mesa-High-School-Redskins.aspx?schoolid=74096

What about America's most popular college football team.........Fighting Irish? 

Irish-Americans should be furious !

We must get prayer and God out of schools, but the nicknames Red Devils and Blue Devils are ok ????

We must get prayer and God out of schools, but the nicknames Red Devils and Blue Devils are ok ????

Ironic, isn't it?

I laugh at this, click here and you will see why.  Red Mesa High School is on an indian Reservation in Arizona, many of the indians take offense to Washington using the name, but one of the school on their own reservation uses the same name and logo.

If they can use and PROFIT from the Washington Redskins likeness they cannot find it to bad.  Of course if I am Snyder and they speak out against the use of the name, I would have to be tempted to pull the rights of them to use the logo.  If the name is offensive to the members of the tribe, why do the members of the tribe call themselves the same thing?

http://www.prepsportswear.com/school/us/Arizona/Teec_Nos_Pos/Red-Mesa-High-School-Redskins.aspx?schoolid=74096

As an Irish-American, my reaction to my cousin calling me a "mick", and my reaction to some stranger doing it, would likely be very different, and justifiably.   Is it okay for white people to use the N-word to refer to a black person because some black people do it?  

• Upvote 1

Why wasn't this issue brought up years ago?  Why now do they have a problem?  Doesn't make sense to me.  

Because "the chosen one" has spoken up against the use of the name.

Why wasn't this issue brought up years ago?  Why now do they have a problem?  Doesn't make sense to me.  

• Downvote 1

I jsut find it very ironic that they are profiting off a name and likeness they want removed.  Very hypocritical if you ask me, with the other examples no I do not think it should go both ways, if you do not want to be referred to as something--anything, why would you refer to your self as that.

I understand context means a lot, but in this case they are using the same name and likeness they are trying to get rid of.  If the group wants to make a stand, change your name and drop all likeness to the brand because you find it offensive, then ask others to do the same.

If that logo and representation is wrong in your mind, do not use it.  Obviously they are not offended by it or they would change the name at their school

Calumet HS used to use the likeness of Chief Wahoo (Cleveland Indians), but stopped several years ago.

As an Irish-American, my reaction to my cousin calling me a "mick", and my reaction to some stranger doing it, would likely be very different, and justifiably.   Is it okay for white people to use the N-word to refer to a black person because some black people do it?  

Two questions Wabash:

1. I often refer to Lutherans as "krauts". I live in a Lutheran town, and even though I'm not Lutheran, I married one, does that give me the right?

2. I deal with several foreign machinery companies, German and Italian mostly. I once had a disagreement between myself and an Italian company. I was dealing with the salesman, VP, and an electrical engineer. I would say something then the VP and the engineer would talk in Italian, which got to the point of infuriating me. Now I don't know whether it was the fact that I threw my empty Coke can on the floor or the me yelling at nearly the top of my lungs "ENGLISH YOU FU#*ING WOPS!" But they came right around to my way of thinking and spoke very clear English the rest of the conversation. While I'd admit probably not the most tactful approach, we did come to a pretty quick resolution and saved us all a bunch of time.