• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/31/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Rushville:  Scott McMurray  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown  Highland:  Trent Grinder  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer  Warsaw:  Phil Jenson Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara  Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Hobart:  Ryan Turley Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Clarksville:  Joby Turner New Haven  Jim Rowland
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Patch

Westfield Shamrocks- 1st HCC Title

If the Rocks can hold on and gain a victory over Lafayette Jeff on Friday, It will be the first time in School history that they have won or shared a title in the HCC.  With a Victory and a Fishers loss, they will have sole possession. IF both win, there will be a tie.  The Shamrock Frosh can also gain a share of the Conference Title with a victory over Jeff next week.  The Frosh are tied for the Conference lead with HSE and Fishers at 7-2.  Coach Gilbert has done a tremendous job from bottom to top. The 5th-6th grade travel Rocks, also have an 8-1 record and just won the first sectional game of the IEFA playoffs.  The future looks bright in Westfield.  NOW if we can just get a new field!  

Kudos to Gilbert and Westfield. They've come a LONG way in 3 years.

The HCC IS down a but this year. But this is by far the most physical Rocks team I've seen. Their ability to compete in the trenches and

run the ball effectively and consistently is a marked change from recent teams.

Are they here to stay ?  Replacing Ferrer and Reece with equivalent talents and productivity will be tough. But the pipeline appears

to be sufficient to keep them in the hunt to win the HCC going forward (I assume they'll be 6A within a few years so competing for a State Title 

may be a short term deal).

All that said, I never considered any of HSE's recent 'shared' titles legitimate. You either win it outright or you don't.  

So, go Rocks and go Bulldogs (minimal chance that they beat FISH on Friday, but a guy can dream...) !

If the Rocks can hold on and gain a victory over Lafayette Jeff on Friday, It will be the first time in School history that they have won or shared a title in the HCC.  With a Victory and a Fishers loss, they will have sole possession. IF both win, there will be a tie.  The Shamrock Frosh can also gain a share of the Conference Title with a victory over Jeff next week.  The Frosh are tied for the Conference lead with HSE and Fishers at 7-2.  Coach Gilbert has done a tremendous job from bottom to top. The 5th-6th grade travel Rocks, also have an 8-1 record and just won the first sectional game of the IEFA playoffs.  The future looks bright in Westfield.  NOW if we can just get a new field!  

C'mon coach, all you have to do is fork over about $5.8 million and the new field is all yours. They'd probably even put your name on it if you'd like.

"The Patch", sounds like somewhere a Shamrock would be found.

Great season for the kids. Tremendous accomplishment in a very tough conference. Should be strong favorites in the sectional round.

It will be great when the new stadium is finished, but I am sad to see the old field go away. My Dad told me stories from the early 40's when cars could park at the 'cable' surrounding the actual field. I've played on that field, although for a different school. Many of my cousin's have played on that field. One of them from Westfield was a big part of the youth program there for many years. His son now also coaches  3rd graders in the youth league. He played there all through school as well. Progress is great, and thankfully it can't take away the memories we have of the old place.

• Upvote 1

It will be great when the new stadium is finished, but I am sad to see the old field go away. My Dad told me stories from the early 40's when cars could park at the 'cable' surrounding the actual field. I've played on that field, although for a different school. Many of my cousin's have played on that field. One of them from Westfield was a big part of the youth program there for many years. His son now also coaches  3rd graders in the youth league. He played there all through school as well. Progress is great, and thankfully it can't take away the memories we have of the old place.

Remember Roy when the current home side was the visitor side and the press box worked for both the baseball field and the football field? They had seating for about 30 on the visitor side (at least it looked that way). It was always cold there, maybe the wind blowing off of US 31, or the fact that is an east/west field, so it runs the wrong direction. They are truly in need of something new now. The old field will probably end up a McDonalds or something when the highway project finishes.

Remember Roy when the current home side was the visitor side and the press box worked for both the baseball field and the football field? They had seating for about 30 on the visitor side (at least it looked that way). It was always cold there, maybe the wind blowing off of US 31, or the fact that is an east/west field, so it runs the wrong direction. They are truly in need of something new now. The old field will probably end up a McDonalds or something when the highway project finishes.

Yes, I've been going to games there since the early -mid 60's. One of my older cousin's played for Westfield and 2 more played for Jackson Central. Jim Belden was the head coach at the time. Quite entertaining.

If I had 5.8 Million to give away, we would probably have to chat on a South Florida Football website.  The new stadium will be great, but I do sometimes think that all the teams we play that have turf,  and it is a little bit of an advantage, especially when its a little wet.... There is typically a lot of complaining about our field by other teams:)

This is way off on another tangent. But since HCC-related chatter has been minimal on the board overall, I'll toss it in.

It'll be very interesting to see how the remaining HCC teams fill their schedules next year.

Do they try and schedule MIC teams ? If so, given the meat grinder in the MIC, will those teams want another tough game

against an HCC squad ?

How will adding a couple MIC teams and say, a Cathedral in place of the Lafayette (generally speaking) pushovers affect the injury/attrition

situation over the course of the season ?

If not MIC teams or Cathedral or the like, whom are they gonna schedule ?

This is way off on another tangent. But since HCC-related chatter has been minimal on the board overall, I'll toss it in.

It'll be very interesting to see how the remaining HCC teams fill their schedules next year.

Do they try and schedule MIC teams ? If so, given the meat grinder in the MIC, will those teams want another tough game

against an HCC squad ?

How will adding a couple MIC teams and say, a Cathedral in place of the Lafayette (generally speaking) pushovers affect the injury/attrition

situation over the course of the season ?

If not MIC teams or Cathedral or the like, whom are they gonna schedule ?

1st off, congrats to the Rocks. Coach has done a great job building a program and Westfield is starting to reap the benefits. A new stadium will only enhance the fan experience and make it the place to be in Westfield on football Friday!

As far as next year's scheduling I believe BDGiant93 has already said Ben Davis and Avon are scheduled for next year. So there is your answer to a point. Keep in mind the HCC will only have 7 teams next year where as the MIC has 8. HCC teams have 3 open dates to fill.... should be interesting. My hunch is this is a 1 year problem and some sort of "super conference", composed of 2 - 8 team divisions will emerge in the metro area. Who will the 16th team be? Cathedral maybe? Or perhaps another fast-growing system..... Whiteland.....a 3rd HSE school.... regardless, the HCC is not going to sit on 7.

Agreed. An eventual, HCC-MIC, Super Conference is the only real solution.   

HCC teams' regular season record will take a hit. But with no Sectional seeding, it's irrelevant wether a team

is 7-2 or 5-4.  

Btw, as an aside, Avon has improved over the course of this season more than any other HCC squad. That big

Soph QB of theirs is gonna be a very good.

1st off, congrats to the Rocks. Coach has done a great job building a program and Westfield is starting to reap the benefits. A new stadium will only enhance the fan experience and make it the place to be in Westfield on football Friday!

As far as next year's scheduling I believe BDGiant93 has already said Ben Davis and Avon are scheduled for next year. So there is your answer to a point. Keep in mind the HCC will only have 7 teams next year where as the MIC has 8. HCC teams have 3 open dates to fill.... should be interesting. My hunch is this is a 1 year problem and some sort of "super conference", composed of 2 - 8 team divisions will emerge in the metro area. Who will the 16th team be? Cathedral maybe? Or perhaps another fast-growing system..... Whiteland.....a 3rd HSE school.... regardless, the HCC is not going to sit on 7.

Coach Gilbert has a great formula working at WHS and seems to know what Rick Wimmer also knows which is that those communities have great support for football.  He knows a lot of guys in the coaching world and seems to have built a great staff which is essential.  Congrats to them and good luck.

If I were the HCC leader I would be reaching out to Plainfield for an 8th team.  I'm just not sold on the two-tier conference idea.  There is no fair way to divide the divisions and some teams would have it considerably harder than others.  I wouldn't think those additions would benefit current members of the MIC either.  I think any conference where all teams dont play each other is flawed by design at the high school level.

I would also steer clear of cathedral if I were HCC teams since they can legitimately recruit your players from you if they beat you.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Coach Gilbert has a great formula working at WHS and seems to know what Rick Wimmer also knows which is that those communities have great support for football.  He knows a lot of guys in the coaching world and seems to have built a great staff which is essential.  Congrats to them and good luck.

If I were the HCC leader I would be reaching out to Plainfield for an 8th team.  I'm just not sold on the two-tier conference idea.  There is no fair way to divide the divisions and some teams would have it considerably harder than others.  I wouldn't think those additions would benefit current members of the MIC either.  I think any conference where all teams dont play each other is flawed by design at the high school level.

I would also steer clear of cathedral if I were HCC teams since they can legitimately recruit your players from you if they beat you.

Wow. So much wrong with this post. Plainfield will never be a 6A school as their only means of growth in the township is west. What is fair? Are you saying the current HCC schools will never be able to compete with the current MIC schools? I would disagree with that. If a super conference is in the cards, I could see a 7 game schedule with an OOC opener and the last game pitting division vs division..... 1 vs 1.... 2 vs 2 and so on. Split the 16 the best you can geographically and let them go at it.

....also think that shot at Cathedral was totally classless and baseless.

• Upvote 2

Wow. So much wrong with this post. Plainfield will never be a 6A school as their only means of growth in the township is west. What is fair? Are you saying the current HCC schools will never be able to compete with the current MIC schools? I would disagree with that. If a super conference is in the cards, I could see a 7 game schedule with an OOC opener and the last game pitting division vs division..... 1 vs 1.... 2 vs 2 and so on. Split the 16 the best you can geographically and let them go at it.....also think that shot at Cathedral was totally classless and baseless.

No lover of Cathedral, believe me, but I challenge the prior poster (whom you reference) to prove his statement. No doubt, he won't...because, like so many posters as regards p/ps they really don't know much about p/p schools (and generally just lump us all in together...profiling, I guess...but an easy way for them to stereotype and diminish those same kids who have played together or against one another on those tiny CYO teams since 3rd grade). Ignorance is bliss....so is stupidity - but I can excuse the ignorant since, by definition, they can't know what they don't know.

Idiocy, well, I am less forgiving about.

Why in the world would anyone even abstractly presume that Cathedral would bother with the HCC since they can actually play some of the best teams in the Midwest and Indiana week after week? My guess is an invite would be met with a publicly polite response of "thanks, but no thanks....we are honored with the invitation". Privately, it would be a belly laugh for the presumption that they would even consider it at all. That's the reality.

GoalineD - don't worry about Cathedral...I suggest you focus on some 3rd grade CYO team you can defame.

Still, as someone who has one of his closest friends with kids attending Westfield, I congratulate Westfield. They have made huge strides this year and deserve the accolades. Best wishes to the Shamrocks going forward. Would love to see them crowned as 5A champs when it is all said and done. Count me as one of their biggest fans.

Apologies for possibly changing the subject. Just can't tolerate idiocy. Beat me around the head if appropriate. Guess I deserve it, apparently, for being a Cathedral shill. How ironic is that? I may have to pull my kid out of Chatard after this post.

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Get a grip.  Sounds like you've got your built in excuse ready in case you have to play the Irish. 

I never meant to say Cathedral would be invited or would accept an invitation to join the HCC. I was only thinking in terms of a 16th team in a large metro area conference.

I never meant to say Cathedral would be invited or would accept an invitation to join the HCC. I was only thinking in terms of a 16th team in a large metro area conference.

Sorry Stax, definitely wasn't directed at you but rather to whom you had responded to. 

Even so, it was an ill-tempered, poorly written post by me regardless who I was addressing.  Overreaction on my part.  Just should have held my tongue...sometimes the recruiting stuff still sets me off.  I usually just let it slide.  Not one of my better moments.

Edited by Lysander

Sorry Stax, definitely wasn't directed at you but rather to whom you had responded to. 

Even so, it was an ill-tempered, poorly written post by me regardless who I was addressing.  Overreaction on my part.  Just should have held my tongue...sometimes the recruiting stuff still sets me off.  I usually just let it slide.  Not one of my better moments.

Eh, we're human.

Well, I honestly didnt mean it to be as harsh as it came across.  I meant that the more you play a team where your athletes can choose to go, it becomes a recruitable moment for that school whether it is conscious or not.  Your kids see them and if they beat you your kids see that as an alternative.  It is recruiting without even trying.  "I'm not the starter" or " "the kid at the other middle school will beat me out, I heard, so I've going where I can win a state championship at least."  I certainly don't hold back shots at Cathedral but that was worse than it was intended.

Well, I honestly didnt mean it to be as harsh as it came across.  I meant that the more you play a team where your athletes can choose to go, it becomes a recruitable moment for that school whether it is conscious or not.  Your kids see them and if they beat you your kids see that as an alternative.  It is recruiting without even trying.  "I'm not the starter" or " "the kid at the other middle school will beat me out, I heard, so I've going where I can win a state championship at least."  I certainly don't hold back shots at Cathedral but that was worse than it was intended.

No prob. I shouldn't have popped off.

Back to the subject at hand, Westfield has had a year to be proud of.

ROCKS win!!!!!!  Rocks Win!!!   Congrats on your 1st HCC Championship!  Yes we are Sharing it with Fishers, but if you have not noticed, they are pretty good. That is pretty good company to be in...  Good luck to the rest of the HCC in the tournament......

Well, Mark Morrow over at hcsportsdaily.com partially answered my question this a.m.

He let the cat out of the bag that Carmel and HSE will play to open the regular season next Fall.

Interesting....

Jake Gilbert was a year behind me at Ben Davis, and I am so pleased that he's doing well.  He was an excellent football player, and he's turned into a fine football coach.  Westfield is in good hands.  One guy helping out up there is a man by the name of Steve Purichia.  Many of you will remember that Coach Purichia coached at Chatard and also at Perry Meridian before joining the staff at Ben Davis where he spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 years with Dick Dullaghan, Tom Allen, and Mike Kirschner.  Coach Purichia has long been a friend of the family...my dad and his older brother Carol were classmates at Indy Washington and at Indiana Central.

Avon has indeed picked up Ben Davis for a long term deal.  It's a shame Cathedral decided to part ways with BD.  I have the utmost respect for what Coach Streiff does.  They don't have to play the schedule they play, but they do it to get better.  Those kids play hard and play well.  I have no problem with Cathedral.  Sorry they dropped BD.  I thought the Giants and the Irish were developing a nice rivalry again.