Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Per her facebook page, Terry Riggs has been approved as the new head coach at Elwood.  I had the pleasure of working with Terry at Decatur Township.  He is a young, tireless worker.....If given the bare minimum tools, he will get it turned around up there. Congrats to Terry......Elwood found a gem in this hire. 

Any idea as to what kind of offense/defense scheme he might run?  I have zero idea as to what Decatur Central runs, but know they had a stud QB recently...Elwood might be a different type of athlete than he's used to.  I think Elwood was Wing-T under previous coach??  Hope he can stick around for a few years...need continuity to bring them back to a respectable program, gotta be tough for the kids having a new coach for the 3rd straight season and 4th in 5 years.  If he stays and develops they can be respectable in a traditionally weak CIC conference.  Eastbrook/Mississinewa are night and day above the rest that appear to just shuffle around the 3-8 slots in recent years.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2020 at 8:59 PM, irishuncle411 said:

Any idea as to what kind of offense/defense scheme he might run?  I have zero idea as to what Decatur Central runs, but know they had a stud QB recently...Elwood might be a different type of athlete than he's used to.  I think Elwood was Wing-T under previous coach??  Hope he can stick around for a few years...need continuity to bring them back to a respectable program, gotta be tough for the kids having a new coach for the 3rd straight season and 4th in 5 years.  If he stays and develops they can be respectable in a traditionally weak CIC conference.  Eastbrook/Mississinewa are night and day above the rest that appear to just shuffle around the 3-8 slots in recent years.  

Talked with an Elwood teacher who is also a high school coach in another sport.  The coach said that Terry lives in Franklin and plans to continue living there.  Some are wondering how long it will be before the 90 minute plus commute each way every day will make him say "I'm done."  The other problem with Elwood is they School Board only gives each sport enough money to pay 1 assistant coach.  So most of the coach's are volunteer's, which may be the dad's of players.  

Mississinewa has a new coach this year and he retained the entire staff with the exception of 1, who retired.  Kyle Buresh's coaching experience at the high school level is 0.  He has been a college coach.  He has been passing coordinator and helped lead the #1 ranked offense in the Country with close to 600 yards per game.  He did this a couple of times.  If he can find a QB that can see over the OL and that can throw watch out.  The OL will be just as big if not bigger than previous years.

When I was there in the 2018 season the head coach got $6000 to split between assistant coaches, as they see fit.  The head coach was also able to negotiate their contract the year after I was there.  

When I started my teaching Job and coaching under Marty in 2014, I did the drive from Franklin from July to October (Bought a house in town in October).  It is a tiring drive and some late nights, especially Friday nights and turn around to be back on Saturday morning.  Franklin is a great town and hard to leave.  I still have many friends down there.

I truly hope that Coach Riggs sticks around.  Those kids have been through so much and they deserve to have someone to believe in them and willing to stay and see them through this rough patch.