Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Survey on Names and how you call backfield sets

Hello all,

this post is for Coaches and taking a survey on what you call the position (H Back, FB, etc) to a offensive player that is in the backfield (behind a lineman) and in front of a Shotgun QB.

1. So, what to you call the position?

2. For Defensive guys- How do you include this H-Back (in image below) in calling strength of the formation.

Please reference the image with A, B, C, D for location of H back and Y (Tight End) and RB.

FLEX.gif

Edited by Wink58

2 hours ago, sls said:

1. One term that tells the H to go to one side. i.e. King he set up strong/Queen he sets up weak.

Or a R/L term to tell him where to go..  i.e. tiger=right/Lion Left.

Sexist pig. 😄 The “Cancel Culture” will be coming after your playbook next!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I will almost never use the H back to designate strength.  Too many offenses motion him pre-snap and that throws off what we want to do defensively.  In your pictures, the TE is almost always the strength call.  If there isn't a TE, we may use multiple receivers or, more likely, a field/boundary call to determine strength. Zone Teams we may rely on which side the back offsets, assuming they don't run a lot of pistol.