Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Assuming there is a season, what have we heard about...

Here is where I think ihsaa is screwing up.    Set attendance at on 50% to start the season.   Schools should charge $10 to enter instead of $5.      I'm not a technology advanced person but can you charge people to watch a YouTube channel?  If so stream game and charge each person $10 to watch.    I think everyone would be willing to help out the schools by paying 5 extra dollars to have football in fall and also get money to schools that need it.    

• Like 3

I haven't heard about anything about it around here. If they do limit the number of fans, who do you let in?? You can't have hundreds lining up at the gate and turn most of them away. It should be done in advance. Let the parents and close family get first dibs and the remaining go to the public. First come, first serve after that until tickets are gone.

18 minutes ago, wvigo13 said:

I haven't heard about anything about it around here. If they do limit the number of fans, who do you let in?? You can't have hundreds lining up at the gate and turn most of them away. It should be done in advance. Let the parents and close family get first dibs and the remaining go to the public. First come, first serve after that until tickets are gone.

Parents then lottery?  Maybe 6 tickets per player then lottery?   

3 hours ago, wvigo13 said:

I would predict that players families will get an allotment of tickets.  What will be missing will be student sections and bands playing.  Plus the streaming option is still there.  I can't believe athletic departments haven't used online pay to watch streaming before this.

4 hours ago, wvigo13 said:

Some local churches used a reservation system when they first resumed in-person services.  Some churches allowed only their own parishioners while others allowed anyone to reserve seating.  As restrictions have loosened ... e.g., more folks allowed at gatherings ... they have started allowing "walk ups" and some parishes that were limited to their own parishioners have also started allowing non-parishioners too.  Something similar could potentially be applied if there is to be restricted seating for sports.

13 hours ago, wrcsage said:

Think about what you are all saying!  I hate to be the grim reaper, but there will eventually be no sports this fall.  Not that I agree with that notion, but it is for sure where we are headed.  

I know what the schools are saying, but I got a buddy down in KY that says a school admin told him the KHSAA flat out lied about fall sports--he said there will be no fall sports in KY at all this fall.  I would be shocked if Indiana played a single game of football.

Most of the games I've worked over 20 years can spread out fans in the stands or around the field with little issue. There are exceptions, but most would be fine. Some schools may want to set up new bleachers around the field for additional seating but if you let people spread out around the fence standing/sitting with groups of people they know, most probably wouldn't have to reject any fans. I think you'll see some people self opt-out attending so normal crowds should be smaller to start. I can also understand though if schools don't want the headache of trying to enforce distancing for people who don't want to cooperate.

On 7/16/2020 at 10:56 AM, HHPatriots said:

I know what the schools are saying, but I got a buddy down in KY that says a school admin told him the KHSAA flat out lied about fall sports--he said there will be no fall sports in KY at all this fall.  I would be shocked if Indiana played a single game of football.

https://www.whas11.com/article/sports/high-school/kentucky-fall-sports-season-discussed-khsaa/417-969aa36d-7f88-492d-a6e5-b897db791679#:~:text=Commissioner%20Julian%20Tackett%20said%20the,college%20sports%20started%20this%20fall.&text=FRANKFORT%2C%20Ky.&text=%22We're%20playing%20this%20fall,athletics%20and%20activities%20this%20fall.

https://twitter.com/markskoljr_WNDU/status/1285353907938631680?s=20

I would venture to say that many schools are developing a plan for indoor athletic events, as well as outdoor athletic events.  For many, that development is still being created.
Many that work around the high school athletic arena are familiar with the boxes that need checked to prepare for hosting an athletic event.
If one is not aware of the many, many boxes that need to be checked, here are just a few:

Concessions
Event officials
Handling team personnel
Locker facilities
Parking
Press box
Restrooms
Seating arrangements, if there are any
Security
Sideline procedures
Spectator limits, if there are any
Ticketing
Video/Media broadcasting plans
And I certainly could have missed something . . .  if I did, pardon my error. But I think many of you get my point.

There are a lot of details that need to be covered within a set of guidelines, offered by the state, which changes frequently. 

I would imagine that this is one of the toughest challenges our athletic directors have faced because of the constant change.

From what I have heard, things are still progressing forward.   However, if things do not change I would not be surprised if they all came to an abrupt stop in the near future.
How long is anybody's guess but with the current volatility of the virus and increased infection rates that are worse than when this thing started - the outlook does not look good.

I hate to sound so pessimistic, but we are going to be lucky to play any games this fall. 
The silver lining is that, until they tell us differently, we continue to press forward and many schools are exercising caution to minimize risk of everyone. 

There are many folks out there that are doing the very best they can to help a lot of kids, parents, grandparents, community members, coaches, officials, media members, etc., etc., compete again.

This is to all those out there that are hoping and praying for athletics to make a successful return!

As always, the game is better
from_the_sidelines007

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2020 at 3:27 PM, nmsu_aggie said:

Assuming there is a season this fall, what are we hearing about social distancing for fans in the stands (and along the fences)?

I can't imagine fans being allowed in the stadium, period.  And that is fine with me....because if that happens that means at least there will be a fall football season!

If there is consistency. (IF) Last night the Indy Eleven soccer had 5,409 fans according to their Aug 1 box score for their home match. 

Yes. The game was at Lucas Oil, so they were way below 25%. Colts have informed ticket holders they expect 25% and the Indy 500 is currently at 87,500 fans on Aug 23 (1/4th capacity.)

The state/ Marion County health department has allowed crowds, just spread out and masked. The question is IF they will apply the guidelines for entertainment venues to HS sporting events.

20 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

Heard a VERY strong rumor IHSAA is meeting today about changing dates of football

I have heard something similar............ It would make sense to give direction for teams that want to start Monday.   

The concept of letting everybody figure it out on their own.......is not leadership.

35 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

Heard a VERY strong rumor IHSAA is meeting today about changing dates of football

What are the bringing to the table today??   Cancelling the season???

35 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

On a Sunday???  Odd??

1 minute ago, Football Guru 25 said:

What are the bringing to the table today??   Cancelling the season???

On a Sunday???  Odd??

Nobody's going to cancel. the season./////   Just talk about options....  Plan B...Plan C...etc/

On 7/15/2020 at 7:03 PM, MarshallCounty said:

Students should have priority over family. Schools should make effort to have the students included first. 

How would you handle the 'student section'?