• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyoguru

CYO Cadet Season Results

Another Great CYO Cadet (7/8 Grade) Season ended on Sunday with 2 Teams crowned as Cadet Champions.

Cadet AA Championship Game

St. Simon (9-1) 15 St. Jude (8-2) 14

Congratulations to Coach McCaslin and his group on their win on Sunday. They made a remarkable comeback to win the game at Chatard. St. Jude has a lot to be proud of as well.They had a great season with their only 2 losses being to the Royals. Both games went down to the wire. This Raider group will do Roncalli proud in the future.

http://cyoold.orgsonline.com/tournament_display.aspx?tid=665

Cadet A Championship Game

St. Pius X (10-0) 36 Christ The King (8-2) 6

Congratulations to Coach Brady and his Panther group. They dominated the A division this year. The Panthers did an awesome job in sportsmanship considering the hand they were dealt this year. The Coaching staff was put in a tough position and they did a great job. The Tigers only 2 losses were to St. Pius this year, so they also had a great season. A head coaching change this year, but they continued without a beat playing Tiger football.

http://cyoold.orgsonline.com/tournament_display.aspx?tid=663

CYO Cadet Football continues to get better every year. Changes made at the Cadet level were to eliminate kickoffs and start each possession at the 40. The CYO has always been ahead of the game on safety and they see this becoming the future in youth leagues due to safety issues. I still have mixed feelings about kickoffs being eliminated as It takes away the possibilty of a big play, but will take a wait and see approach.

CYO needs to address how it selects the A and AA teams. The last 2 years 2 teams have dominated the A division without even challenging the kids. This is now 2 years in a row with a blow out game in the Cadet A finals. This puts a burden on the coaching staff and the kids. I have no doubt this St. Pius team would of competed for the AA title. This group has been consistent since 3rd grade. There was no reason not to believe they would continue being dominant as an 8th grade group.

To St. Pius's credit they requested to play in the AA division and were denied because they did meet the scoring requirements of the CYO system to be considered a AA team. My hope is the CYO will continue to improve and look at the last 2 years results and make the appropriate changes to make Cadet football an even better experience for the players, parents and coaches.

No matter what, CYO football continues to be one of the best if not the best program around.

I don't follow your youth league, but im trying to understand. 

St. Simon (9-1) and St. Pius X (10-0)  don't play each other?

9 years ago CYO adopted a playoff format similiar to the IHSAA. Their are 2 Cadet(7/8) Divisions A and AA. Division A teams only play A teams and AA only play AA. In the old format only division winners made the playoffs. This format everyone makes the playoffs.

AA teams and A teams are selected by the CYO based on a formula they have used since I played 30 years ago.

I only went to a couple of AA  playoff games, but seems to be a lot of size coming up through the ranks.

I've begrudgingly accepted the no kickoff rule. That said, possessions t start a game, after half and after a score should start at the 20 or

30 yard line, not the 40.  

It's Cadet football, not 4th grade

It would be nice to have the tournament seeded in all grades instead of the blind draw. There are several great championship games every year but seeding would eliminate the two best teams (per win /loss record) from playing each other in the first round.

No seeding. Keep it the way it is currently. Just have to play your best football.

What is the upside to keeping the blind draw? I also think seeding would add a little more excitement to the regular season because teams would be battling for the better seed.

No because you will have team's running up scores and just putting it all on winning. The basics of football are not being taught anymore.

Like you said in your first post "Just play your best football". Seeding or blind draw that should always be the case. I really don't see coaches running up scores anymore than they do now which is few and far between. Anyhow I wouldn't worry too much about seeding because I doubt you will see the CYO change the playoff format anytime soon. Not sure what the basics of football have to do with seeding but I can tell you that the CYO program as a whole does a great job teaching fundamental football skills.

The cadet tournament was exciting this year. Semi-finals and final game! If we seeded that wouldn't have happen. The final might have been a blow out. I'm not really worried if they seed or not. Good Luck in the future.

The CYO staff does a great job every year, but the current system is very difficult to deal with.  The problem they are trying to solve is that some Cadet teams are simply weaker than others, and playing them all in a single division would result in a ton of blowouts, making it difficult for some schools to maintain their football programs.  Some cadet programs have a mix of 7th and 8th graders, low overall numbers, and smaller, slower kids.  Other programs have large numbers, all-8th grade teams and a good number of big, fast kids.  The trick is:  how do you set up a system where all the teams on this spectrum can have a good experience?  It is the same challenge that the IHSAA experiences every year.

Indy CYO sets up two Cadet leagues:  the "A" league for the "smaller" teams (smaller schools, more 7th graders, less "stripers," etc.) and the "AA" league for the "larger" teams (bigger schools, lots of 8th graders, lots of "stipers", etc.).

This system roughly works.  However, there are usually 1-2 "smaller" teams that don't look like much on paper but dominate on the field.  The St. Pius team in the "A" division was one of those.  They were loaded with 7th graders, and yet they had great size and speed.  No doubt that they would have given any of top 4 AA teams (including eventual champion St. Simon) a terrific game.  Given all of the 7th graders on that team this year, they will be a clear favorite next year.

FYI, it also works in the reverse.  There are usually 1-2 "big" teams that look great on paper (lots of players, lots of stripers, lots of 8th graders) that are just not very good and cannot compete.

I am not sure what CYO can really do about it.  Perhaps having a talk with the coaches, and letting the coaches have a bit more say in the process, would make sense.  St. Pius' coaches clearly knew what they had, and kudos to them for telling the CYO that they needed to play up.  My experience is that the cadet football head coaches in the Indy CYO league are really good guys who are not looking to abuse the system.  Perhaps CYO should send a confidential email to all coaches with a tentative assignment of teams, and hear them out if they think their team is particularly strong or weak.

Thanks for the roundup.  The St. Simon/St. Jude final was an instant classic, with Simon driving the field in the final 1:30 of the game to close to a 1-point gap, and converting from the 5 for 2 points and the lead with only :40 to go.  That game was as entertaining and well-played as any game this year (and more so if you saw the Colts/Rams game yesterday).

No doubt this was a great year once again for Indy CYO, and all the Catholic high schools around the City are going to be getting another great young crop of players.