Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

COVID Impact on football season

With the N/S All Star game being cancelled, curious about what may happen with football season this fall. Shortened season?  No fans?  Limit on number of players?  

Thoughts?  

Has the Indiana HS football season ever been shortened or cancelled?  Perhaps during WW2?   

4 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Lol

This is the perfect time to self contract.

There will be little public opposition due to the big picture issues school corporations are facing.

Getting rid of an expensive, chronically underachieving program will be welcomed by admins who have bottom line district financial responsibility

Edited by DT

1 minute ago, DannEllenwood said:

I’d guess the north south game got canceled Bc hoops all star game got canceled. IMHO, I don’t get why. 

This was a wise and prudent decision.  The game is an exhibition and should be viewed as entertainment

4 hours ago, DT said:

Look for a decent amount of contraction.  Several programs will permanently shut down.  

South Bend has a major school funding question on this years primary ballot.  Superintendent Cummings says there will be big cuts to programs that don't involve all students.  Whatever that means.  COVID or not...South Bend Football may have changes

Discussions are taking place at the state level that schools may not start back on time. Perhaps not until after Labor Day. Districts are preparing plans in case this does in fact become reality. If this is the case, there will certainly have to be adjustments made to all fall sports. It is still too early to know for sure, but we will know something this summer. 

15 hours ago, Irishman said:

One question that might have factored in.......were all regions able to hold their meetings to vote on players to be in the game? 

YES

Team was picked and the participates were notified 

This happened prior to March 19th 

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, DT said:

Look for a decent amount of contraction.  Several programs will permanently shut down.  

I wouldn’t expect contraction for the 20-21 school year.  However, school budgets could definitely see reductions for the 21-22 school year as a result of lower tax revenue generated during 2020.  That will potentially cause less funding to be allocated to schools for the 21-22 school year.  How much less remains to be seen, but I would consider it a strong possibility.

In the fall of 2008, the economic recession began which led to high unemployment and decreases in tax revenue.  State and Federal budgets were already in place for 2009, so most schools didn’t have to make cuts for the 2009-10 school year.  The reduced tax revenue led to budgets being cut for 2010, which is why many schools made cuts in the spring and summer of 2010 for the 2010-11 school year.

Depending upon how long this lasts, I could see a similar trend happening in the next 2 years.  2020-21 will probably be ok, but schools could feel a crunch for the 21-22 school year.  That’s where closures of schools may come into consideration.  It may not be a contraction of a football program, it may be a contraction of entire schools.

1 hour ago, boilerfan87 said:

Discussions are taking place at the state level that schools may not start back on time. Perhaps not until after Labor Day. Districts are preparing plans in case this does in fact become reality. If this is the case, there will certainly have to be adjustments made to all fall sports. It is still too early to know for sure, but we will know something this summer. 

This isn’t geared towards you Boilerfan - but this phrasing irritates me. ‘Discussions are taking place about school not starting on time. Perhaps not until after Labor Day.’ 
I will add I bet discussions are also including not starting until January. 

That’s my irritation. The media especially is reporting these discussions as that is what we THINK will happen and not what they really are - contingency plans. I’m 90% confident we will start school on time this fall. But my school is still making plans for a 2 week, 4 week, half semester and full semester delay plans. To not have a ‘discussion’ about a potential plan until August 1 would be irresponsible.

I’m sure there are football coaches having discussions about a goal line wishbone package right now. The media would pick up this info and report it as ‘Team X is having discussions on being 90% run next year.’

We will be back in the fall. A failure to plan for the slimmest chance we won’t would be poor academic leadership. That’s all these ‘discussions’ are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, boilerfan87 said:

Partnering with the likes of Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc as a Midwest task force if you will, does not do the Hoosiers any favor, unless Governor Holcomb really takes the lead. We need to be educated. And do what is best for our state 1st. 
Keep your eyes on other parts of the country. Michigan is one. Washington state is another. NJ, etc. Their voters are beginning to rise up. We are a great group of citizens, but can only be pushed so far. 

3 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

This isn’t geared towards you Boilerfan - but this phrasing irritates me. ‘Discussions are taking place about school not starting on time. Perhaps not until after Labor Day.’ 
I will add I bet discussions are also including not starting until January. 

That’s my irritation. The media especially is reporting these discussions as that is what we THINK will happen and not what they really are - contingency plans. I’m 90% confident we will start school on time this fall. But my school is still making plans for a 2 week, 4 week, half semester and full semester delay plans. To not have a ‘discussion’ about a potential plan until August 1 would be irresponsible.

I’m sure there are football coaches having discussions about a goal line wishbone package right now. The media would pick up this info and report it as ‘Team X is having discussions on being 90% run next year.’

We will be back in the fall. A failure to plan for the slimmest chance we won’t would be poor academic leadership. That’s all these ‘discussions’ are.

This was not a media driven comment. This is based on first hand knowledge as someone involved in the decision making for schools. It does not mean that it will happen. We may well be able to start school on time, but these discussions are being had to prepare school districts for how they will handle this potentially new starting date. Again, this is first hand information because we are having to make tentative plans to adjust to this.  

My reason for posting it is for us all to consider the possibility that it could happen. Of course, if we do not start school on time, there will certainly be adjustments to sports. I want school, football and sports in general to be back for our students like everyone else. But ultimately, we do not make those decisions. The state, the IDOE and IHSAA all make these decisions and set the guidelines.  

Hopefully everything is well and these message board discussions are all for naught. 

4 hours ago, DannEllenwood said:

Partnering with the likes of Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, etc as a Midwest task force if you will, does not do the Hoosiers any favor, unless Governor Holcomb really takes the lead. We need to be educated. And do what is best for our state 1st. 
Keep your eyes on other parts of the country. Michigan is one. Washington state is another. NJ, etc. Their voters are beginning to rise up. We are a great group of citizens, but can only be pushed so far. 

Well. That didn’t take long. Peaceful protests outside the Governor’s Mansion in Indianapolis today. 

E82BF860-5850-4071-81B8-E3F242988537.jpeg

I keep saying it.... we are going to have a treatment by then. Also Oxford University is saying they have a vaccine that if all goes ok will be available by early September. Team that up with a decent treatment and ppe and football is on. Lets all hope.   

58 minutes ago, Raven67 said:

I keep saying it.... we are going to have a treatment by then. Also Oxford University is saying they have a vaccine that if all goes ok will be available by early September. Team that up with a decent treatment and ppe and football is on. Lets all hope.   

“If all goes OK” is a mighty big “if” where this sort of thing is concerned. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30796-0/fulltext

16 hours ago, Raven67 said:

Even if there is a vaccine by September, it is unlikely the FDA would allow it's use after only a few months of clinical trials.

IMO, if you require masks and take each person's temperature when they enter, you would be good to go.