• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

Head Coach Openings 2017   10/17/2016

Frankton: Randy England  Bobby Ryan Promoted  Franklin Community:  Adam Reese  Chris Coll hired from Tri-West Martinsville: Brad Rose  Carter Whitson Hired  Lake Central: Brett St. Germain Tony Bartolomeo Promoted South Bend Clay: Craig Redman  Will Porter Hired from South Vermilion  Boone Grove:  Tony Tinkel   Dan Kukulski Promoted  Mooresville:  Chad Dockery Mike Gillin hired from Indian Creek Wood Memorial:  Caleb Cherry/Archer  Bret Kramer Hired Tippecanoe Valley:  Shriver/Norris   Stephen Moriarty  Hired Corydon Central:  Andrew Smith    Aaron Humphrey Hired Calumet New Tech:  Rik Richards  Rick Good Hired  Winamac:  Tim Roth Craig Barr Hired   Tri-West: Chris Coll Tyler Bruce Promoted North Central (Indy): Kevin Kreinhagen Kevin O'Shea hired from Lafayette Central Catholic Indy Chatard:  Vince Lorenzano Rob Doyle Promoted Paoli: Brian Balsmeyer Jeremy Lowery Promoted Mt. Vernon (Fortville): Doug Armstrong  Neil Kazmierczak  Hired from Lebanon  Bluffton: Randy Hudgins Brett Kunkel Hired Indian Creek: Mike Gillin Brett Cooper Hired Vincennes Lincoln:  Jon Heiden  Levi Salters Promoted  Frankfort:  Joel Sienicki Eric Davis Hired from Tri-County South Vermillion:  Will Porter  Greg Barrett hired from North Putnam Riverton Parke:  Jake Weber Brad Sanders Promoted Elkhart Central:  Levon Johnson Josh Shattuck hired from Seymour Mt. Vernon (Posey) Paul Meirer Cory Brunson hired from Evansville Harrison Richmond:  Matt Holeva  Abe Tawfeek hired from Indy Northwest Lebanon:    Neil Kazmierczak Jeff Smock Hired North White:  Jim Davis Kirk Quasebarth Promoted  North Posey:   Paul Rynkiewich  Waylon Schenk hired from Princeton  Pike Central:  Dustin Powell   Erik Mattingly Hired  John Glenn:  Damon Groves Austin Faust Promoted North Putnam:  Greg Barrett Sam Carnes Hired  Lafayette Central Catholic: Kevin O'Shea Don Coller Promoted  Evansville Harrison: Cory Brunson Lane Oxley Hired Indianapolis Roncalli:  Bruce Scifres Scott Marsh Promoted  Anderson Prep Academy: Jeffrey Dorman Randy Albano Hired Princeton:   Waylon Schenk   Jared Maners Hired Ft. Wayne North:  Mike Cochran Michael Brevard Hired Turkey Run:  Steve Stewart Bruce Scaggs Hired Indianapolis Northwest:   Abe Tawfeek Jonas Williams Promoted Tri-County:  Eric Davis  Sam Zachary Hired Carroll Community:  Mark Brown Kevin Sayler Promoted  Oldenburg Academy:  Wes Gillman  Union County:  Rusty Hensley Joel Hofmann promoted Edgewood: Jerry Bland Brian Rosenburg Hired Seymour:  Josh Shattuck  Michael Kelly Hired Wawasee:  Josh Ekovich Michael Eshbach hired from Eastside Muncie Central:  Adam Morris Scott Pethtel Hired Benton Central:  Ed Roberson  Mike Hammons  Promoted  Western:  Ron Jankovich Alex Stewart Hired New Castle:  Will Ragle  Kyle York Hired Sullivan:  Trent Olson Blaine Powell promoted Northwestern:  Alex Stewart Steve Disler hired  Clinton Central:  Isaac Sturgis Justin Gardiner Hired North Miami:  Mark Lefebvre  Joe Grant Hired from Rochester Spring Valley Justin Scheller Mark Hammond Hired  Edinburgh:  Derrick Ball  Jason Burton Hired Eastside: Michael Eshbach Steve Cooley promoted Rochester: Joe Grant Brian Hooker Hired Cloverdale: Tony Meyer Tom Winder Promoted Hammond Clark: Eric Schreiber  Hammond Noll:  Colin McCullough  Wayne Racine hired Lake Station:  Adam Hudak   South Central:  Eric Stephens Buzz Schoff Hired  Caston:  Brady Jones  Tony Slocum Promoted  
Sign in to follow this  
tommy

Repurposing Former High School Football Facilities

I remember as a child driving by Kautz Field in Kokomo, where it is nestled right next to Memorial Gymnasium (one of Indiana's basketball palaces, btw).   IIRC it had a pretty large covered grandstand on the home side of the field.

Looks like today the grandstand has been replaced with a much smaller set of bleachers:  https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kautz+Field/@40.4845197,-86.1263943,111m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x881485d738daf097:0x6a74caa0a24c0b90!8m2!3d40.484478!4d-86.1256886 

Probably still used as a middle school field, or possibly for youth play.

Edited by Muda69

1 hour ago, MuleDriver said:

Anyone familiar with gary ? How many high schools have closed now? I have Lew Wallace, Wirt-Emerson, and Horace Mann. Is that the extent of the Exodus ? 

Going back to the late 1960s there were also Tolleston and Froebel which became part of Gary West. There was a Gary Edison which may also be part of Gary West (not sure). Also, to confuse matters, there was an East Gary Edison which is now Lake Station Edison.

1 minute ago, Payne said:

Going back to the late 1960s there were also Tolleston and Froebel which became part of Gary West. There was a Gary Edison which may also be part of Gary West (not sure). Also, to confuse matters, there was an East Gary Edison which is now Lake Station Edison.

There is a plethora of urban exploration videos on youtube concerning gary high schools . Sort of interesting/haunting to see the ruins of these places knowing the crisis that is/was gary indiana . Thanks for the info ill google them maybe see some more exploration of them. 

2 hours ago, Veechy63 said:

I love threads like this. I either wasn't around or was too young to see a lot of these awesome stadiums. When I drive around the state for various reasons I try to stop by and see the fields of different schools. The football nerd in me just can't get enough.

Any suggestions from the GID of places I must see???

Reitz Bowl in Evansville, Carmel/Westfield both have really sweet facilities, Arsenal Tech in Indy, Whiting, and I'm about to find out in 2 weeks about Culver Military Academy, but hear it is nice, with a lake view for the visitors.  Here in the NLC, I like the Rockpile in Plymouth.

Edited by NRRaider2001

2 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

Reitz Bowl in Evansville, Carmel/Westfield both have really sweet facilities, Arsenal Tech in Indy, Whiting, and I'm about to find out in 2 weeks about Culver Military Academy, but hear it is nice, with a lake view for the visitors.  Here in the NLC, I like the Rockpile in Plymouth.

Been to Carmel and Westfiled. I'll add the others to the list. I went to school at Muncie Central and saw a lot of the (then) NCC stadiums and eastern half of Indiana (then 4A). Now coaching in 1A I see a lot of neat places that are in "the middle of nowhere". Pretty cool for my football nerd brain.

Edited by Veechy63

This is much more interesting, and fun, thread than the playoff seeding thread.  Good reading & history lessons....

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Veechy63 said:

Been to Carmel and Westfiled. I'll add the others to the list. I went to school at Muncie Central and saw a lot of the (then) NCC stadiums and eastern half of Indiana (then 4A). Now coaching in 1A I see a lot of neat places that are in "the middle of nowhere". Pretty cool for my football nerd brain.

The setting at CMA is beautiful with the lake behind the home stands.  Not much room for visitors.  Other then that there is no concession stand and port a pots.  The teams have to go some ways to get to locker rooms.  In fact they had a tent at the corner of the field for St Joe last Friday night

One of these years South Bend will have to decide what to do with the large home stands at historic School Field.

1 hour ago, Bonecrusher said:

This is much more interesting, and fun, thread than the playoff seeding thread.  Good reading & history lessons....

Some good info here:   .com 

http://gridirondigest.com/

On 4/12/2014 at 8:16 PM, Yuccaguy said:

I have always thought that they should refurbish (rebuild) the FB Stadium area.  Perhaps add field turf, and make that (FW) Snider HS' home field.  They (Snider) continue to share Spuller Stadium with (FW) Northrop, and have been repeatedly rebuffed by community organizations/subdivisions on the NE side of Fort Wayne because of increased traffic flow and stadium lights.  The 'vacant' Elmhurst facility on the SW side of Fort Wayne offers the unique ability to solve all those problems without any conflicts from the area community.   

The old Harding H.S. Field would be much closer to Snider "school district boundaries" than would be Elmhurst.  Maybe Harding is still being used for Middle school?  Good idea either way.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Dabears said:

The old Harding H.S. Field would be much closer to Snider "school district boundaries" than would be Elmhurst.  Maybe Harding is still being used for Middle school?  Good idea either way.

The "old Harding Field" (Arnold Oetting Stadium) is in a DIFFERENT School District.  

Harding HS was a part of the East Allen County School Corporation. (HS: New Haven, Woodlan, Heritage and Leo)

Elmhurst HS was a part of the Fort Wayne Community Schools. (HS: North Side, South Side, Northrop, Snider and Wayne) 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Indian72 said:

The setting at CMA is beautiful with the lake behind the home stands.  Not much room for visitors.  Other then that there is no concession stand and port a pots.  The teams have to go some ways to get to locker rooms.  In fact they had a tent at the corner of the field for St Joe last Friday night

One of these years South Bend will have to decide what to do with the large home stands at historic School Field.

I was impressed week 1 that Adams filled School Field pretty nicely, their student body was good and loud too, possibly some of the loudest hosts I've heard this year.

As far as nice facilities go, last week we played at Jake Field in Dunlap (Concord) it's a really cool atmosphere, especially with 2 top 5 teams facing each other, but the visitors locker room is not much more than a tool shed.

A week from tomorrow I'll be at CMA for round 1 of Sectionals, I'm excited to see the grounds, but fear we're going to have a lot of people standing as we travel really well.  At Concord we had hundreds standing, halfway around the field, thankfully I live close enough to get there early.  Culver is going to be cutting it close, leave Osceola (work) at 5-5:15, back to Middlebury to change and pick up the family, then an hour and a half to Culver...

11 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

The "old Harding Field" (Arnold Oetting Stadium) is in a DIFFERENT School District.  

Harding HS was a part of the East Allen County School Corporation. (HS: New Haven, Woodlan, Heritage and Leo)

Elmhurst HS was a part of the Fort Wayne Community Schools. (HS: North Side, South Side, Northrop, Snider and Wayne) 

I understand it's a DIFFERENT School District and I know plenty about EACS and Harding, thanks to Dr. Brown.  I also know that ELMHURST WAS part of FWCS but was sold to Hanson Aggregates in early August so IT IS NO LONGER a viable option.  HOWEVER, Harding is still owned by the EACS district and I would expect could be sold to FWCS.

FW Snider to Elmhurst = 12mi./30-min.

FW Snider to Harding = 6.8mi./15-min.

1 hour ago, NRRaider2001 said:

I was impressed week 1 that Adams filled School Field pretty nicely, their student body was good and loud too, possibly some of the loudest hosts I've heard this year.

As far as nice facilities go, last week we played at Jake Field in Dunlap (Concord) it's a really cool atmosphere, especially with 2 top 5 teams facing each other, but the visitors locker room is not much more than a tool shed.

A week from tomorrow I'll be at CMA for round 1 of Sectionals, I'm excited to see the grounds, but fear we're going to have a lot of people standing as we travel really well.  At Concord we had hundreds standing, halfway around the field, thankfully I live close enough to get there early.  Culver is going to be cutting it close, leave Osceola (work) at 5-5:15, back to Middlebury to change and pick up the family, then an hour and a half to Culver...

The visitors side is very small at CMA.  The concession table is a b couple of tables.  Last week they would not allow anyone to stand on the track as they were asking fans to move off into the grass.  There is construction on 31 from Plymouth to Args where you turn off to go to CMA

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dabears said:

I understand it's a DIFFERENT School District and I know plenty about EACS and Harding, thanks to Dr. Brown.  I also know that ELMHURST WAS part of FWCS but was sold to Hanson Aggregates in early August so IT IS NO LONGER a viable option.  HOWEVER, Harding is still owned by the EACS district and I would expect could be sold to FWCS.

So you are saying that FWCS should PURCHASE property outside of their school limits, rather than use a facility that they own and maintain because of logistics?

And FWCS still owns the SPORTS property!  Not the Elmhurst HS Building.  So again your information is flawed, it is the ONLY VIABLE OPTION for FWCS.  

:04_v:

Edited by Yuccaguy
additional information
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Dabears said:

My parents live about 2 miles from Harding.  Last I heard it was still being used as a middle school.

I'd bet it's not being used on Friday nights, and regardless of school district, probably could work something out with Snider --  if both parties wanted to.  I'm talking rent/lease, not purchase; if that's even an option.

My question would be whether or not the stands have enough capacity for Snider's crowd.  IIRC Snider's a bigger school than Harding H.S. ever was.  I don't remember how big the bleachers are.  Last time I was actually at that field was when we played Harding back in the early-late 80's.

Edited by Bonecrusher

I love the Indianapolis Washington football field. Train tracks run right behind the bleachers on the south side of the field. Plus, my dad played there.

I wonder what will happen to the fields at Northwest, Arlington, and Broad Ripple when those schools shutter this year. Northwest and Arlington were nice facilities in their day. Ripple's always been a bit of a lovable dump. I can remember Coach John Haynes clearing the press box on the old home side with his clipboard a few times.

13 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Ripple's always been a bit of a lovable dump. I can remember Coach John Haynes clearing the press box on the old home side with his clipboard a few times.

Yeah the visitor's side of BRipple is definitely unique as well. "Loveable dump" would be a good description. 

1 hour ago, Yuccaguy said:

So you are saying that FWCS should PURCHASE property outside of their school limits, rather than use a facility that they own and maintain because of logistics?

And FWCS still owns the SPORTS property!  Not the Elmhurst HS Building.  So again your information is flawed, it is the ONLY VIABLE OPTION for FWCS. 

My mistake, as you stated Hanson owns the H.S. building and grounds.  There goes your parking for the Football field unless you enjoy parking in a Limestone quarry?

:10_v:

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

I wonder what will happen to the fields at Northwest, Arlington, and Broad Ripple when those schools shutter this year.

What's going on in IPS?

On 10/11/2017 at 8:21 AM, MuleDriver said:

Anyone familiar with gary ? How many high schools have closed now? I have Lew Wallace, Wirt-Emerson, and Horace Mann. Is that the extent of the Exodus ? 

Tolleston on & Froebel well before that.

7 hours ago, Dabears said:

My mistake, as you stated Hanson owns the H.S. building and grounds.  There goes your parking for the Football field unless you enjoy parking in a Limestone quarry?

:10_v:

You just cannot admit that your information and thrust is flawed.  So I guess with South Side HS currently using the baseball and softball facilities.  As well as Indiana Tech using the Track facilities....there's NO WHERE TO PARK? huh ???:14_v:

• Downvote 1

14 hours ago, Indian72 said:

The visitors side is very small at CMA.  The concession table is a b couple of tables.  Last week they would not allow anyone to stand on the track as they were asking fans to move off into the grass.  There is construction on 31 from Plymouth to Args where you turn off to go to CMA

And the horse stables are right behind the visitor bleachers. It is a beautiful field, though.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

I love the Indianapolis Washington football field. Train tracks run right behind the bleachers on the south side of the field. Plus, my dad played there.

I wonder what will happen to the fields at Northwest, Arlington, and Broad Ripple when those schools shutter this year. Northwest and Arlington were nice facilities in their day. Ripple's always been a bit of a lovable dump. I can remember Coach John Haynes clearing the press box on the old home side with his clipboard a few times.

Saw a Chatard - Cathedral game at Broad Ripple about 10 years ago.  Great crowd.  Great atmosphere.  Like a CYO game on steroids.

• Haha 1