• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Sign in to follow this  
punttheball

Timeouts

Question

Need some insight on how timeouts can be called.  Is the HC the only person that can call a timeout.  Our HC is the DC.  It occasionally causes a problem if he is watching video or making adjustments with players after coming off the field and we need an offensive TO.  Is there a way around this?

2 answers to this question

The head coach can designate someone else to call time outs, but that applies to the entire game. I have only seen this applied in 2 instances. One was when the head coach worked out of the press box. The other is when the coach is ejected. They are required to designate someone at that point.

I faced this a few times past couple years.  As stated, only HC or his designee can call TO, but that is whole game.  Working sidelines, I never let an Asst coach call TO.  I would have them let the HC do it.  1. If the Asst called TO without approval of HC, our officiating crew is in trouble.  2.  The HC is the person, unless they tell crew otherwise, that can call TO.  I know some Asst might not like it, but thats the rule....even in NFL.