• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff
Coach Nowlin

Football Draw: SUNDAY Oct. 1st. 11/12 pm ct.

18 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Real conversations have been going on, Head coaches have been Polled,  look for the conversation to continue to grow into off season.   Not sure where it will lead but there has been intelligent conversations at the IFCA level since last year.  

This is true. We spent at least an hour discussing this in one of our region meetings in the off season. I think they CAN eventually make it happen....not sure if they WILL however.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Can a school opt out of the tournament?

It is interesting that you bring this up.  There are other states that allow this.  Some play what they call a bowl game.  It is often a rivalry game that is played on Thanksgiving weekend.  I think that Massachusetts has it.  I think that they do something similar in Florida.  Sorry if someone else has brought this up.

Kirkwood and Webster Groves play this is the STL area.   

The FB Cardinals had Thanksgiving Day games in the 70s that were discontinued because of the history of the rivalry.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 6:13 AM, SouthNZone said:

Mater Dei and Southridge in the other bracket....

and Linton...lol

I feel that Sectional 35 could have several great games..... If it was seeded...  

Top 4 teams 21-3, bottom 4 teams 8-16. I still see Eastbrook taking this Sectional, but would love to see a Renssalaer Central Vs Eastbrook championship instead of a potential 1st round game....  

Hopefully the ping pong balls bounce in the favor of lining up a great sectional!!!

I cannot wait to watch my computer say buffering Sunday because there is to many people trying to stream the draw. Not televising the draw is just typical IHSAA garbage. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, djbowzz said:

I feel that Sectional 35 could have several great games..... If it was seeded...  

Top 4 teams 21-3, bottom 4 teams 8-16. I still see Eastbrook taking this Sectional, but would love to see a Renssalaer Central Vs Eastbrook championship instead of a potential 1st round game....  

Hopefully the ping pong balls bounce in the favor of lining up a great sectional!!!

This would be my problem with the seeding process.  Top 4 decided by record?  In my opinion, seeding cannot be done by this process.  

1 hour ago, punttheball said:

This would be my problem with the seeding process.  Top 4 decided by record?  In my opinion, seeding cannot be done by this process.  

No, implement a point system based on the following criteria:  W-L record, opponent W-L record and classification.  There could be an addition or omission , but I think this would lay a decent foundation to at least split our top 2 teams, perhaps top 4.

2 hours ago, punttheball said:

Wasn't necessarily saying that's how it should be done, just pointing out the obvious, because if you added strength of schedule to the equation it would shuffle this Sectional completely up.. IMO...

4 minutes ago, djbowzz said:

Wasn't necessarily saying that's how it should be done, just pointing out the obvious, because if you added strength of schedule to the equation it would shuffle this Sectional completely up.. IMO...

I'm good with Sagarin.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2017 at 7:50 AM, NRRaider2001 said:

Agreed, hoping we draw Dekalb or Culver Academies, I've never been to to either...Sectional 19 looks to be a brutal one with IFCA 4A #2, #6, #8, #9 and a very good 5-1 Culver Academy, & East Noble on top of Wawasee and Dekalb.

Lot's of ranked teams in Sectional-19 and if you use the "predictor" and match up all teams vs. Angola at Home they all lose!  Angola is good this year, but IMHO they will struggle vs any of the Top-3: Ridge, Wood & Plymouth.  A few more weeks until we find out.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 12:20 PM, SouthNZone said:

Don't worry Cappy, we'll all 4 be in the same bracket....

Along the lines of what others are saying though, I would like to see Linton play at Reitz Bowl.

Wow!  Now that would be cool....gotta admit.... My old man played at Evansville College..as an Ace in the late early 60's... I don't think they played there.. not sure.. he used to take me to the field when I was a kid... but we did go to many games at the Bowl when I was a kid and he coached at Henderson City.   

As for Linton in the sectional draw.. first I hope we are healthy and get all our injured kids back 100%. I'd hate to have to draw Southridge or Mater Dei to open with.   I'd also wouldn't like that long drive to south spencer or tell city either.... or... actually that trip home.  Last time in Perry County my car died on I 64 in Evansville..and I spent $250 on a tow back to Vincennes...  I've not been to North Posey nor Forest Park......I would be great to be on opposite bracket from either the Raiders or the Wildcats.. or both for that matter...altho to have a shot sooner or later gotta play one or both of them.  I'd love to see those two battle it out beforehand though! LOL!

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

I'm good with Sagarin.

Ehhh... Maybe not.  After 6 weeks, Triton (who is 4-2) is ranked behind both Culver (4-2) and LaVille (3-3) despite having beaten both head to head.  And neither has beaten a team that Triton lost to.  So, that doesn't seem quite right.

Head to head has to come first, then Sagarin if you don't have head to head games to use.

Just now, Fine Print said:

Ehhh... Maybe not.  After 6 weeks, Triton (who is 4-2) is ranked behind both Culver (4-2) and LaVille (3-3) despite having beaten both head to head.  And neither has beaten a team that Triton lost to.  So, that doesn't seem quite right.

Head to head has to come first, then Sagarin if you don't have head to head games to use.

You might be right....Head to head should be put out in front as Sagarin doesn't consider head to head (nor should it) to statistically determine who "should" beat who.

1.  Head to head

2.  Sagarin

Honestly after the first..maybe the second seed on each side....it doesn't matter as much.  As the coaches have proposed before, just seeding the top 2 on opposite sides of the bracket would be a 1000% improvement over the situation today.

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

You might be right....Head to head should be put out in front as Sagarin doesn't consider head to head (nor should it) to statistically determine who "should" beat who.

1.  Head to head

2.  Sagarin

Honestly after the first..maybe the second seed on each side....it doesn't matter as much.  As the coaches have proposed before, just seeding the top 2 on opposite sides of the bracket would be a 1000% improvement over the situation today.

I see your point and agree about the top 2, but if you seed 2 with a formula why not seed them all using the same formula?  

Edited by Captain Cabinets

1 minute ago, Captain Cabinets said:

I see your point and agree about the top 2, but if you seed 2 with a formula why not seed them all using the same formula?  

I just wasn't very clear....I say do them all...but if the IHSAA won't do that....at least top 2 is a start.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I just wasn't very clear....I say do them all...but if the IHSAA won't do that....at least top 2 is a start.

I think the all-in format makes seeding all 8 somewhat problematic - at least at the state level.  A 9-0 powerhouse gets seeded first and a 0-9 or 1-8 team is seeded 8th.  This would happen in 30-35 of the 48 sectionals.  Having an occasional 50+ point beatdown in round one will happen, but I don't think the state would have the stomach to see multiple scores like that.

I'm not arguing in favor of all-in or against seeding.  I just think that is why you wouldn't see both.

4 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think the all-in format makes seeding all 8 somewhat problematic - at least at the state level.  A 9-0 powerhouse gets seeded first and a 0-9 or 1-8 team is seeded 8th.  This would happen in 30-35 of the 48 sectionals.  Having an occasional 50+ point beatdown in round one will happen, but I don't think the state would have the stomach to see multiple scores like that.

I'm not arguing in favor of all-in or against seeding.  I just think that is why you wouldn't see both.

I think you make an excellent point....probably at least part of the reason that we will end up with just top 2...if and when it ever happens.

• Upvote 1

On 9/29/2017 at 10:28 AM, POTLUCK said:

I cannot wait to watch my computer say buffering Sunday because there is to many people trying to stream the draw. Not televising the draw is just typical IHSAA garbage. 

I agree with you!  The IHSAA could do a lot better with this matter.  There are a lot of TV networks out there now, it's not like the 3 or 4 channel old days.

No buffering here.........

:17_v:

Here comes the conspiracy theorists...

Roncalli at Cathedral 

Posted (edited)
On 9/27/2017 at 1:43 PM, Lysander said:

Not a betting man, but I will bet that Cathedral/Roncalli is a Week 1 game in Sectional 13.

Called it. 

How on God's green earth the IHSAA can't read the map that shows Roncalli and New Pal could toss a stone at each other as regards distance....but New Pal goes "North".

I believe in Ancient Aliens too, coach.

Edit - there have been years when folks stated that the State Championship was won in the first round (and I really understand how some CE, Reitz and EC people feel disrespected by this assertion...and they often were IMHO) but I truly believe it in this case.

First...make the Sectionals "actually" geographic.  Second, seed the D*mned things!

Edited by Lysander

Did anyone notice that the top 4 teams in sectional 24 are on the same side of the bracket, with the top two teams meeting in round 1? That is sad. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Transplantedpanther said:

Did anyone notice that the top 4 teams in sectional 24 are on the same side of the bracket, with the top two teams meeting in round 1? That is sad. 

Happened last year when 4 of the top 10 rated teams in 3A played each other in the first 2 games in Sectional.(low end of the bracket)..ironically the winner of that tussle was upset in the Championship. 

SEEEEEEEEED the Sectionals.

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 1

They have GOT to Seed Class 6A!!! 

Way too many 1st Round matchups that will impact the "gate" as the tourney moves forward.  

1 minute ago, Lysander said:

Happened last year when 4 of the top 10 rated teams in 3A played each other in the first 2 games in Sectional.(low end of the bracket)..ironically the winner of that tussle was upset in the Championship. 

SEEEEEEEEED the Sectionals.

Wasn't last year the BC, Guerin, Brebeuf, Tri-west shootout that was ultimately won by Danville?