• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/19/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired North Newton Jeff Bean Scott Rouch Promoted Madison Grant:  Kyle Booher Brady Turner Promoted 
Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

DT Commentary : When time comes to pull the plug.

On 10/4/2017 at 6:20 PM, Gonzoron said:

Do you have the stats to support the "soccer mom" statement?

Do you have stats showing injury incidence rates when comparing soccer to football? In particular, concussion rate comparisons?

I don't have have the stats but I remember going to meetings where USA Football stated youth football participation was declining at a rate of close to 10% each season.  These meetings occurred three-to-four years ago.

On 10/4/2017 at 10:44 PM, DrivenT said:

It's generally understood that numbers are down and concussion type head injuries are up.  If you lack that basic level of awareness, there is not much I can do for you.

I would say the reporting of concussion/head injuries is up, I'd wager to bet if we tracked these events the same way for the past 20 years we'd see a noticeable decline in actual injuries. 

It's similar to the whole "record temperature talk" you get from your weather person.  Since we only started recording temps a little over a 100 years ago it's very relative.  

Edited by Coach_G

I find it quite humorous how many on this site rush to protect "their holy grail" of high school football whenever I point out a negative trend, event or occurrence that might impact the game.

It reminds me of the movie "The DaVinci Code," where the Priory of Sion risk  life and limb and devote their entire existence to protecting  a great secret.

Well, the secret is out fellas.

You've got issues.

Participation "is" down.

Programs "are" in trouble

Concussions "do" have an impact on participation

Specialization "is" hurting the game

Officials "are" hard to find

Coaching turnover "is" a problem

"Contraction" will be the new buzzword you hear often over the next few years.

The list goes on and on.  Bobby Cox and his team of misfits have some work to do.  

Edited by DrivenT

45 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I find it quite humorous how many on this site rush to protect "their holy grail" of high school football whenever I point out a negative trend, event or occurrence that might impact the game.

It reminds me of the movie "The DaVinci Code," where the Priory of Sion risk  life and limb and devote their entire existence to protecting  a great secret.

You've got issues.

Participation "is" down.

The list goes on and on.  Bobby Cox and his team of misfits have some work to do.  

Since Indiana's playoffs began (1973), I can think of only three schools that have disbanded their football program--Hamilton, Scottsburg, and Morristown....and Scottsburg is back.

Many more Indiana schools have started football programs than ended them in the last 40+ years.

Edited by Stoner

Football at all levels has seen nothing but unmitigated growth over the last several decades.  

More teams

Bigger stadiums

More media exposure

Piles of money.

The trend is now in reversal

Fewer teams

Lower attendance

Declining TV viewership

Falling participation

Less money

Contraction will be the end result.

15 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

You've got issues.

Participation "is" down.

DrivenT - Honestly I think you bring up some interesting points and you have definitely livened up the conversation around here, but you only seem to bring up the negative issues that high school football faces.

Many of the items you listed here are legitimate concerns in my mind. The better question is do you have any solutions for these issues that are positive? I understand you advocate ending some programs, but that is not the long-term solution to these issues. I assume you are here because you enjoy high school football. What proactive actions should programs be doing to promote the sport and grow it?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Stoner said:

Since Indiana's playoffs began (1973), I can think of only three schools that have disbanded their football program--Hamilton, Scottsburg, and Morristown....and Scottsburg is back.

Morristown had a football program?

1 minute ago, DanteEstonia said:

Morristown had a football program?

Not for long

23 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I find it quite humorous how many on this site rush to protect "their holy grail" of high school football whenever I point out a negative

Really?  On a HS football site?  It's the only reaction to expect.  Since I know you are intelligent your above comment can only be interpreted one way. 

Just now, Stoner said:

Not for long

I always have thought that Morristown and Waldron would benefit from some sort of co-op system. It's a pity that they haven't been able to do so.

5 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Really?  On a HS football site?  It's the only reaction to expect.  Since I know you are intelligent your above comment can only be interpreted one way. 

Some are willing to go so far to protect the grail that they wind up hurting others in the process.  They are too wound up in their own myopic (Muda's favorite word) point of view.  

I see this in many of the opinions and responses posted on this site.  Generally it comes from the coaching community.

The GID used to be a fan driven website.  It's now a coaching driven site.  The fans have retreated to their own little conference thread communities and generally avoid the heavy topics we used to discuss globally here on The GID.  It is what it is.  

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Football at all levels has seen nothing but unmitigated growth over the last several decades.  

More teams

Bigger stadiums

More media exposure

Piles of money.

The trend is now in reversal

Fewer teams

Lower attendance

Declining TV viewership

Falling participation

Less money

Contraction will be the end result.

With regard to Indiana high school varsity football, I'd say:

Fewer teams....untrue

Lower Attendance....untrue

Declining TV viewership....unknown/somewhat irrelevant

Falling participation.....per school, overall I would agree

Less Money.....untrue

Edited by Stoner

6 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Some are willing to go so far to protect the grail that they wind up hurting others in the process.  They are too wound up in their own myopic (Muda's favorite word) point of view.  

I see this in many of the opinions and responses posted on this site.  Generally it comes from the coaching community.

Who has a more vested interest in the long term viability of the sport and not implementing knee jerk reactions than the coaching community?

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Who has a more vested interest in the long term viability of the sport and not implementing knee jerk reactions than the coaching community?

Without participants how does a coaching community survive?

Exactly so who is more vested in keeping participation up?  Coaches 

2 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Exactly so who is more vested in keeping participation up?  Coaches 

But putting blinders on to potential changes in the game/industry isn't the answer.  Just look at Sears, Whirlpool and Toys R Us as examples of what happens by resting on your laurels and either being myopic and/or unwilling to change in accordance with the current environment.  That doesn't even bring into the fray the issues the NFL is facing with fan boycotts and eroding ratings.  That will also have a dire effect on future participation levels.

• Upvote 1

Just because fad talking points aren't embraced en mass doesn't mean blinders are on.  The IFCA has been very progressive in expanding the quality of the game as a whole.  

But quality of the game might not be the issue that is driving the "fad talking points".

I 100% agree with that. Which is why many are not embraced by coaches.   Misguided focus.