• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired
Sign in to follow this  
Cougar

5A Football - Who are the title contenders

I know Cathedral is out there as the big name... but who is has a legitimate shot to win 5A

I guess your would have to consider Mishawaka, Concord, Westfield and Snider the pre-season favorites in sectionals 9 through 12.

I guess your would have to consider Mishawaka, Concord, Westfield and Snider the pre-season favorites in sectionals 9 through 12.

I never heard of those teams but i know those Fort Wayne schools are good

I never heard of those teams but i know those Fort Wayne schools are good

Never heard of Mishawaka, Concord, or Westfield??? Not sure your knowledge base would qualify you as a person that should start a 5A contenders thread.

Never heard of Mishawaka, Concord, or Westfield??? Not sure your knowledge base would qualify you as a person that should start a 5A contenders thread.[/quote

Well I don't. . I only really no about teams that we play. .. like central Indiana teams like the mic, conference Indiana and teams like that. .. have any of those won the title in the last 10 years when 6 and 5 was merged. .. that's why I ask the question I want to get to know teams outside of what I know now like Indianapolis schools, Bloomington schools, vigo schools, Columbus schools, ... I want to learn about other teams. ....

Cathedral doesn't play one 5A team during the regular season.  but if you look at the playoffs from last year, there wasn't a close game vs a 5A team, they had closer games with 4A teams, SBSJ and Chatard.

at Decatur Central W 54-26   sect Nov. 1  Zionsville W 35-21   sect Nov. 8  Anderson W 56-13   sect Nov. 15  at Whiteland W 56-28   regn Nov. 22  Terre Haute North W 42-20   semi Nov. 29  (n)Westfield W 42-18   state

Irish Line Momma's reply wasn't completely accurate. True, Cathedral did beat Zionsville 35-21 in the sectional 2nd round, but the game went down to the wire after Zionsville led at various times during the game. Cathedral scored two touchdowns in the final 5 minutes to pull away from a 21-21 tie in the fourth quarter. Zionsville was actually driving for the tying score but gave up a touchdown on an interception return (for Cathedral's final margin) with about two minutes left. This was definitely Cathedral's toughest hurdle en route to capturing last year's 5A tournament.

Well I don't. . I only really no about teams that we play. .. like central Indiana teams like the mic, conference Indiana and teams like that. .. have any of those won the title in the last 10 years when 6 and 5 was merged. .. that's why I ask the question I want to get to know teams outside of what I know now like Indianapolis schools, Bloomington schools, vigo schools, Columbus schools, ... I want to learn about other teams. ....

Westfield is in Hamilton County just north of Indy and they made it to last year's 5A State Finals.  Mishawaka has a really good program up in the South Bend area.  They made it to the 4A State Finals in 2012.  They schedule a few 6A schools year after year.  Penn being one of them.  Coach Dawson at Concord has a program year after year that is competitive.  In recent history, they've made it to the state finals in 1998 and 2006.  All of these State qualifiers lost to Cathedral.

Down south of you is Castle and Evansville North.  Both of those schools have been to the State Finals in 5A where Castle won it 1994 against currently 6A Portage and North lost to currently 6A Penn in 1995.  

Here's a really good source to look up schools outside of your area.

http://indianahsfootball.homestead.com/

Back on topic.

It's Cathedral's to lose.

Was Zionsville playing with a backup QB all or part of the Zionsville-Cathedral game?

Was Zionsville playing with a backup QB all or part of the Zionsville-Cathedral game?

Z'ville's starting QB was injured during the first half and his replacement threw a TD pass on the first play!

Yes, Zionsville gave Cathedral all it could handle!

Evansville North will be pretty good with Bret Szabo as their head coach.

Evansville North will be pretty good with Bret Szabo as their head coach.

Not to mention the demographics.  Both Gibson Southern and Evansville North will grow and see success for quite some time.

The way the backup QB played made me wonder if Zionsville was starting the wrong QB all season long? 

Bloomington North returns at least 85% of there line up from a team that went to regionals last year. Including the Sophmore QB Jack Smith, son of Tracy Smith IU baseball coach,who shattered all of Norths qb records he threw for 3k last year as a sophmore.

They have 4 out 5 of there O linemen coming back for a team that rushed over 2k

They have Delvon Wilson at running back... has been clocked at 4.5 - 4.4 went to state in the 100,200 and 4x400

Defense line is big and strong

All the linebackers are back

A.Richardson a slot/rb that runs a sub 4.5 cought for over 800 yrds last year

Drew Ludgwitt coming back a 6`3 225 pound WR that dominated games last year.. also made it to state in the long jump

John Rochell- Manns 6`0 165 slot receiver that is super quick and was on the 4x 400 state relay team - Clocked at recent camp at 4.64

All the Defensive backs are back outside one corner

There are others as well...

. I just think they pretty much have the same team that made it to regionals last year... a bunch of sophomores that are now Juniors and a senior class that has amazing talent... I think they are one of the favoriets to come out of there sectional and have a good chance at winning regionals.

Edited by Cougar

So, if Cathedral wins, they get bumped up to 6A for 2015?

So, if Cathedral wins, they get bumped up to 6A for 2015?

I'd like to say yes...but I know that there was a moratorium for 2 years on the success factor.  

All in all, I believe that they would get moved up to 6A in 2015-16 season.  

Edited by Yuccaguy
  • Upvote 1

Cathedral will be the team to beat          Bloomington North will have a nice team just think they will have a hard time replacing last years stud running back he was more than just a speed back. The  kicker they had was a huge weapon and I believe he is in div,1 now .Good program good coach just don't see them as one of the elites in 5a

• Upvote 1

Cathedral will be the team to beat          Bloomington North will have a nice team just think they will have a hard time replacing last years stud running back he was more than just a speed back. The  kicker they had was a huge weapon and I believe he is in div,1 now .Good program good coach just don't see them as one of the elites in 5a

i can see where you are coming from but do you know they played with out that stud running back in the sectional championship game and regional championship game. They are just as good or if not better than last year team... They were so young. I will admit we will mos def miss the running back and kicker. North has a good chance to win CI... we do have some 6A teams in the conference...

Also question what is considered an elite team in 5A?

Cathedral will win 5A again and will be reclassified as 6A in 2015-16. They'll compete at the 6A level but will not win and get classified as 5A from there on. They'll dominate the 5A level until they figure out new ways to exploit the IHSAA rulebook to win at the 6A level.

They just might win at the 6A level if they can execute the third sentence of my previous statement within the next few years.

Edited by Howe
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Care to elaborate on this statement?  What rules would they be exploiting?   

Cathedral will win 5A again and will be reclassified as 6A in 2015-16. They'll compete at the 6A level but will not win and get classified as 5A from there on. They'll dominate the 5A level until they figure out new ways to exploit the IHSAA rulebook to win at the 6A level.

They just might win at the 6A level if they can execute the third sentence of my previous statement within the next few years.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Care to elaborate on this statement?  What rules would they be exploiting?

There's a reason Cathedral can stand toe to toe with Warren, Ben Davis and Carmel on the gridiron. And North Central, Pike and Lawrence North on the basketball court and Perry Meridian on the wrestling mat, year after year, despite an enrollment of only 1,250 or so. There's a reason Roncalli refuses to play Cathedral.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Cathedral will win 5A again and will be reclassified as 6A in 2015-16. They'll compete at the 6A level but will not win and get classified as 5A from there on. They'll dominate the 5A level until they figure out new ways to exploit the IHSAA rulebook to win at the 6A level.They just might win at the 6A level if they can execute the third sentence of my previous statement within the next few years.

Per my understanding you would "bump" all the way back down to your class of origin (should a team not get the required 4 points to stay up a class - or even 2 classes). In the case above (should it occur), Cathedral would go back to 4A - not 5A.

Edited by Lysander
  • Upvote 1