Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL Draft/Trade/Free Agency

Bobref

The NFL free agent signing period is open. The draft is less than 5 weeks away. Trade rumors abound. Two franchise QBs are in unsettled situations, one of them will be lucky to be wearing a uniform, as opposed to an orange jumpsuit. This is the most interesting and active off-season in recent memory.

Post your draft/trade/free agent observations, comments, wishes, hopes and dreams here.

I think the most interesting question right now is what the Jets will do with the #2 pick. Go for a potential franchise QB? Keep Sam Darnold and trade back to accumulate more picks? Keep Darnold and draft him some help, like the TE from Florida, Kyle Pitts, or the WR from LSU, Ja’ Marr Chase? Maybe trade the pick for Russell Wilson? What they decide about Sam Darnold will start the dominoes falling.

14 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Under hopes, wishes, and dreams........when will Mel Kiper go away? Even before Bill Tobin ripped him; which was just classic, I have never been a fan. How did he get here? 😄

For those who are too young to remember.... https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1679629585424318 

Love Kiper ... in that he has become sort of a caricature of himself. Got to hand it to him, though. He basically created a niche, filled it himself, and has become very successful.

The Eagles are now officially “all in” on Jalen Hurts, trading out of #6 to get an additional 1st round pick next year.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-trade-dolphins

Eagles bolster draft arsenal in blockbuster trade with Miami Dolphins

Mar 26, 2021 at 01:36 PM

Chris McPherson

The Eagles on Friday agreed to acquire the No. 12 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, a fourth-round pick (No. 123 overall), and a 2022 first-round pick from the Miami Dolphins in exchange for the No. 6 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft and a 2021 fifth-round pick (No. 156 overall). The Eagles still have 11 picks in the 2021 NFL Draft and are lined up to have three first-round picks in the 2022 NFL Draft (their own, from Miami (Dolphins' original pick), and from Indianapolis in the Carson Wentz trade).

Eagles 2021 Draft Picks

Round 1: No. 12 overall (From Miami)

Round 2: No. 37 overall

Round 3: No. 70 overall

Round 3: No. 84 (From Indianapolis)

Round 4: No. 123 (From Miami)

Round 5: No. 150 overall

Round 6: No. 189 overall

Round 6: No. 224 overall (Compensatory selection)

Round 6: No. 225 overall (Compensatory selection)

Round 7: No. 234 overall

Round 7: No. 240 overall (From San Francisco)

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

The Eagles are now officially “all in” on Jalen Hurts, trading out of #6 to get an additional 1st round pick next year.

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-trade-dolphins

Eagles bolster draft arsenal in blockbuster trade with Miami Dolphins

Mar 26, 2021 at 01:36 PM

Chris McPherson

The Eagles on Friday agreed to acquire the No. 12 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, a fourth-round pick (No. 123 overall), and a 2022 first-round pick from the Miami Dolphins in exchange for the No. 6 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft and a 2021 fifth-round pick (No. 156 overall). The Eagles still have 11 picks in the 2021 NFL Draft and are lined up to have three first-round picks in the 2022 NFL Draft (their own, from Miami (Dolphins' original pick), and from Indianapolis in the Carson Wentz trade).

Eagles 2021 Draft Picks

Round 1: No. 12 overall (From Miami)

Round 2: No. 37 overall

Round 3: No. 70 overall

Round 3: No. 84 (From Indianapolis)

Round 4: No. 123 (From Miami)

Round 5: No. 150 overall

Round 6: No. 189 overall

Round 6: No. 224 overall (Compensatory selection)

Round 6: No. 225 overall (Compensatory selection)

Round 7: No. 234 overall

Round 7: No. 240 overall (From San Francisco)

Or Joe Flacco 😂

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

The 49ers threw their hat in the QB ring by moving up to #3. This pretty much guarantees that the first 3 picks in the draft will be QBs.

Saw that yesterday. What happens to Jimmy G?  Move on?  Modeling?  TV?  

5 minutes ago, DE said:

Saw that yesterday. What happens to Jimmy G?  Move on?  Modeling?  TV?  

They’ll keep him for this season, probably. They have Super Bowl aspirations, so I don’t see them starting a rookie right off the bat. Isn’t Josh Rosen also on their roster?

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

They’ll keep him for this season, probably. They have Super Bowl aspirations, so I don’t see them starting a rookie right off the bat. Isn’t Josh Rosen also on their roster?

Oh boy.  Josh Rosen........

But I agree with you.

Edited by DE

18 hours ago, DE said:

Oh boy.  Josh Rosen........

But I agree with you.

I believe at some point Josh Rosen will emerge as an effective QB in the NFL. A first round draft choice who never really got a chance anywhere he’s been. The one real chance he got was with the Cardinals, who were horrible, and then they decided to go the Kyler Murray - Cliff Kingsbury route. He could flourish under Kyle Shanahan’s system ... if he got a chance.

5 hours ago, Bobref said:

I believe at some point Josh Rosen will emerge as an effective QB in the NFL. A first round draft choice who never really got a chance anywhere he’s been. The one real chance he got was with the Cardinals, who were horrible, and then they decided to go the Kyler Murray - Cliff Kingsbury route. He could flourish under Kyle Shanahan’s system ... if he got a chance.

I think he too, has the talent.  I wonder why he isn't talked about more in trade deals.  Tons of time before the draft, so he still may be traded.

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

From what I've read, Rosen isn't a fan of watching film or of being a student of the game. If he ever gets his head screwed on right, he might become a factor.

2 minutes ago, AG said:

From what I've read, Rosen isn't a fan of watching film or of being a student of the game. If he ever gets his head screwed on right, he might become a factor.

That was the rap on him coming out of UCLA. He apparently comes from a very well-to-do background, and some said that caused him to develop poor work habits.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard a good one today. Justin Fields, once the consensus #2 pick, has fallen recently amid some whispering that he can’t make a 2nd read, doesn’t like film study, etc. Guy on the radio is of the opinion that those whispers were started by the puppetmaster himself, Belicek, so that New England can take him by moving up to #4. They can do that now because Atlanta is sticking with Matt Ryan for now, so they don’t need to pick #4 to get who they want. So, they can trade Atlanta for that pick, and by moving down, Atlanta can still get the non-QB they want.

• 4 weeks later...

So, one day before the draft, the Broncos trade for Teddy Bridgewater. Presumably, that takes Denver out of the first round QB sweepstakes. Atlanta is most likely going to go with Ryan for another year or two, so they’ll likely draft a skill position player, rather than a QB. So, after QBs go in the first 3 picks, it remains to be seen what will come of the other 2 QBs who are projected first-rounders. The Patriots are #15, and they are definitely in the hunt for a QB, as are the Bears at #20. Minnesota (#14) and/or Washington (#19) may well get into the act as well. Going to be an interesting Thursday night.

But, who showed up to their meeting with Pace in an old Toyota Camry? Who led a 4th Quarter comeback against an average opponent in an obscure Bowl? Anyone can draft a star out of Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, LSU, etc. Pace looks deep into their Soul and places more value on handshakes, table etiquitte, choice of car, choice of logdging, etc.

My gut feeling is the Falcons will take Pitts at 4, the Bears will trade up to to get one of the QB's who falls, and draft David Mills out of Stanford. It's a total Pace move. 

I wouldn't mind seeing the Bears trade their #1 pick if they stay put at 20. I trust Pace more with some extra 2nd and/or 3rd picks than I do at picking #20.

My prediction for the Bears 1st round...

A) Swap picks w/ the Bengals and toss in a later round pick.  The Bears will then draft Justin Fields (or Mac Jones---whomever the 49'ers don't pick).

5) Cincinnati Bengals

Trade the 20th pick for Tua

6) Miami Dolphins (from PHI)

9 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

So you think the Bears can move up from 20 to 5 with thier 20th pick and later round picks?   Impossible      To move up that much, would require at LEAST 1st round in 2022 and more likely 2023 as well.   

Did not see that coming! But I am all in on Justin Fields! When the dust clears, the Bears may well have made the move of the entire draft here.

• Like 1