• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   11/01/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier  Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo  Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May Peru:  Bob Prescott  North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Evansville Central:  Andy Owens  River Forest: Austen Robison  Shelbyville:  Pat Parks  Cathedral: Rick Strieff

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DanteEstonia

How do we fix IPS?

Fix the parents, make them responsible to provide for the children properly and nurture them.  The parents should make the kids priority #1 in their lives, do not let their surroundings raise them.  We let the parents off way to easy, we just say poor kid and let mom and dad do what they wish, party drink booze etc...

IPS is a social and race issue, a ethnic problem, not sure it can be fixed in a generation or two, but the off the hook programs do not do the trick.  If I can get a free ride for not being responsible, most likely I am gonna take it, and they do.

Make people work for their income no matter if it is welfare or whatever, make them do things within the community to clean it up and help it look and do better.  Do not let them lay around and get a free ride, while the state is providing everything for their child. 

Shamefull we give out cards so they can only buy essential food, because if we did not, they would buy cigarettes and booze and not feed/clothe their child.  These irresponsible people are let off the hook waaaay too easy.  Time to let them feel a bit of pain, like the taxpayers and worse yet their children.

Fix the parents, make them responsible to provide for the children properly and nurture them.  The parents should make the kids priority #1 in their lives, do not let their surroundings raise them.  We let the parents off way to easy, we just say poor kid and let mom and dad do what they wish, party drink booze etc...

IPS is a social and race issue, a ethnic problem, not sure it can be fixed in a generation or two, but the off the hook programs do not do the trick.  If I can get a free ride for not being responsible, most likely I am gonna take it, and they do.

Make people work for their income no matter if it is welfare or whatever, make them do things within the community to clean it up and help it look and do better.  Do not let them lay around and get a free ride, while the state is providing everything for their child. 

Shamefull we give out cards so they can only buy essential food, because if we did not, they would buy cigarettes and booze and not feed/clothe their child.  These irresponsible people are let off the hook waaaay too easy.  Time to let them feel a bit of pain, like the taxpayers and worse yet their children.

This sounds like we are punishing children more than parents, and it doesn't address the full issues. It also assumes that all of the people who attend IPS are on welfare.

This sounds like we are punishing children more than parents, and it doesn't address the full issues. It also assumes that all of the people who attend IPS are on welfare.

How so, by making their parents responsible people and good role models for them, so their child will understand this is what a responsible parent does.  This instead of repeating the cycle over and over and over again.

Nope again, what happens is these parents who are neglectful bring down those who are responsible, they take the school and the area to their level.  The more the responsible parents do the more the irresponsible parent bring them down.  There is a tipping point where it goes either way, for better or worse.  But these programs that do not in any way make the parents either married or not married responsible for the care or nurturing of their child, does not stop the cycle.  If parents are made responsible then the child may learn this is the way an adult or parent acts and thus may reflect that when they become parents.

It's just not IPS that needs to be fixed.  Many of the school districts from Gary to Elkhart need to be fixed as well.

It starts in the Elementary schools, lots of work on Math, Reading, and Language Arts.

The city businesses need to invest in IPS with mentors, volunteers, and support.

I agree with parents being part of the solution.  If they aren't working, they need to be helping in the schools (not necessarily in the classroom).

The city of Indianapolis needs to continue the renovation of inner city neighborhoods in order to attract middle class people to the city and make IPS the schools of choice for their children. The renovation of inner city neighborhoods continues to expand throughout the city and there are a considerable amount of middle class people who are moving in. IPS needs to attract the children of these families.

They need to get back to education and leave the social skill development to the parents.   

The city of Indianapolis needs to continue the renovation of inner city neighborhoods in order to attract middle class people to the city and make IPS the schools of choice for their children. The renovation of inner city neighborhoods continues to expand throughout the city and there are a considerable amount of middle class people who are moving in. IPS needs to attract the children of these families.

This is a good point, although in some respects it may simply push the problem to the county suburban schools, if the gentrification/renovation of inner city neighborhoods ends up displacing the lower income families from these inner city areas, instead of creating economically integrated, diverse communities.  

As someone who's lived in a downtown neighborhood for a little over two years now, I've yet to see many middle class families with school age children moving into downtown areas. It still seems like the vast majority of the people moving into the revitalizing downtown neighborhoods are young singles, young couples (gay and straight) without kids, and older, empty-nesters.  The few families that I know who have kids tend to send them to private schools, for reasons that are unrelated to the status of IPS, i.e., they'd be sending their kids to those private schools even if they lived in some suburb that had a highly rated public school system.     

The problem starts with funding.  Mishawaka tried to pass a referendum to add 1.00 a month tax and it was voted down.  As the tax bases move from city to suburbs so does the tax dollars.  Not enough monies for roads, infrastructure and public schools also. 

If we want better public schools then they need more funding not less.  That is the staring point, from there then we can get updated classroom, tech and teachers, as well as infrastructure.

The problem starts with funding.  Mishawaka tried to pass a referendum to add 1.00 a month tax and it was voted down.  As the tax bases move from city to suburbs so does the tax dollars.  Not enough monies for roads, infrastructure and public schools also. 

If we want better public schools then they need more funding not less.  That is the staring point, from there then we can get updated classroom, tech and teachers, as well as infrastructure.

Interesting concept.  I wonder how much paper/ink/copiers monies are budgeted.  If schools went paperless, would that save enough money for improved technology?

Paper/pencil learning is so 20th century.  More interactive/technology is the way to grab kids into learning.

Even Dr. Bennett saw a day when the cell phone was a major tool in education.

Something to think about.  

Unless you are in a classroom, you will more than likely disagree with this.

Interesting concept.  I wonder how much paper/ink/copiers monies are budgeted.  If schools went paperless, would that save enough money for improved technology?

Paper/pencil learning is so 20th century.  More interactive/technology is the way to grab kids into learning.

Even Dr. Bennett saw a day when the cell phone was a major tool in education.

Something to think about.  

Unless you are in a classroom, you will more than likely disagree with this.

I don't disagree but when we enrolled our son in kindergarten this year, we paid a $5 paper fee and a ream of paper was part of his school supply list as well. Seems the schools, or at least LSSC, is passing the cost of paper and toner off to the parents.

Money is the easier answer, but it is deeper than that. It goes down to respect. Parents need to respect the education system and the need for their child's education. Students must be taught respect for parents and teachers, as well as classmates. Teachers need to have respect for parents. To many teachers don't have enough respect for parents as well.

I was going to start a similiar thread. I figured it made more sense to move this to the High School Forum.

- No IPS Schools to Drop Football (2005 archive)

IPS To Close 8 Schools (2008)

- IPS Budget Cuts (2011)

- Will an IPS beat a MIC team? (2011)

Can some of you more familiar with IPS football speak about the current condition of IPS football and how it could be remedied?

IPS team sags.png

Are there public schools in other large cities that excel in football?

IPS team sags.png

IPS team sags.png

IPS team sags.png

IPS team sags.png

post-1023-0-39976500-1443489504_thumb.pn

Well, this pretty much sums up the problems in ALL inter-city schools.  I don't disagree with any of it and it would take generations to change.

As far as funding, money is not the answer.  Throwing money at problems just increases bureaucracy. No, I don't have the answer, but I've seen some good examples of "outside the box" schools that are successful. Shows like "60 Minutes" and "Dateline NBC" have featured some.  Most of these schools end up with kids wanting to come to school and wanting to learn.  Yes, it should start at home, but too many homes are broken worse than the schools.

Will this help or hurt?

http://www.wfyi.org/news/articles/ips-to-consider-outsourcing-district-athletic-director

Smith is the executive director for the state’s Civil Rights Commission. Before that, he was a senior advisor to former-Gov. Mitch Daniels and played intercollegiate basketball.

Hurt. I'm a staunch republican and voted for these fools back in 2008 when loud mouthed Tony Bennett threatened state takeover. The state takeover has been a complete joke. I want no part of any third party affiliated with the state or Mitch Daniels involved in public school systems.

The answer to solving IPS issues lies in attracting middle class white families to their schools. There are thousands upon thousands of middle class white families who reside in the inner city.

Are there public schools in other large cities that excel in football?

Yes, Manual and Male in Louisville. Polytechnic in Long Beach California can also field powerful squads every year.

I posted this thread in 2014 as I began a teaching career in inner city Phoenix. It really put IPS's "problems" in perspective. Compared to Phoenix, IPS is a well-oiled machine of educational success.

If the people of Indianapolis are actually serious about having great schools in the city, there is only one real solution- consolidating all of the school corporations in Marion County into one system.

Yes, Manual and Male in Louisville. Polytechnic in Long Beach California can also field powerful squads every year.I posted this thread in 2014 as I began a teaching career in inner city Phoenix. It really put IPS's "problems" in perspective. Compared to Phoenix, IPS is a well-oiled machine of educational success.If the people of Indianapolis are actually serious about having great schools in the city, there is only one real solution- consolidating all of the school corporations in Marion County into one system.

Kind of like "UniGov" for the school systems?

Kind of like "UniGov" for the school systems?

It works everywhere else. Is there any other consolidated city-county that doesn't have a consolidated school system as well?

It works everywhere else. Is there any other consolidated city-county that doesn't have a consolidated school system as well?

I tend to concur since I think UniGov took a big hand (probably the biggest) in transforming Indianapolis BUT, I'll be first to admit, I'm just another Dude with an opinion as regards fixing schools. I've always believed school success depends upon engaged parents (which sounds a lot easier than it is).

I am curious to see what will be the end result of all of the "resettling" of Downtown Indy by Millenials. Assuming they raise families there (though I am not by default assuming that), I'd think it would have some effect on nearby IPS schools. That assumes they would get heavily involved with the schools as engaged parents....unless they move to the suburbs and enjoy yardwork once they start cranking out babies (do Millenials crank out many babies? Never seen a study on that).

I am curious to see what will be the end result of all of the "resettling" of Downtown Indy by Millenials. Assuming they raise families there (though I am not by default assuming that), I'd think it would have some effect on nearby IPS schools. That assumes they would get heavily involved with the schools as engaged parents....unless they move to the suburbs and enjoy yardwork once they start cranking out babies (do Millenials crank out many babies? Never seen a study on that).

I have yet to see a good reason for anyone my age to live in Indiana, let alone Indianapolis. There's no jobs.

I have yet to see a good reason for anyone my age to live in Indiana, let alone Indianapolis. There's no jobs.

Whether that is the case or not the housing market in Downtown Indy is booming (it's driving the downtown market...not office construction....which has been literally nonexistent since the late 80s/early 90s) and it's not recent empty nesters like my wife and I moving downtown.

I'd rather mow my 2 acres in the 'burbs ("groan") and clean out gutters ("double groan")....never said I was smart.