• Announcements

    • Coach Nowlin

      HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

      CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
itiswhatitis

Linton Miners @ Eastern Greene T'Birds

Recommended Posts

Well here we are in week 8 and this will be the 18th meeting between these 2 schools.  This series started in 2003.  They have played every season in week one UNTIL 2015 when the game was moved to week 8.  Linton has won every game in the previous 17 meetings (14 regular season games and 3 tournament games).  The closest score was in 2008, 34 - 16.  Other than that, most of the scores have been rather one sided.  It has been mentioned that playing this game later in the season might make a difference in the score.  2015 - Linton wins 69 - 7.  Last year - Linton wins 49 - 0 during the season and then 56 - 7 in the regional.  Last year was the best team that the T'Birds have ever had in their history.  They finished the season 10 -3, and won their first ever sectional championship.  Now this year they sit at 7 - 0 and are riding high.  I am happy to see they are doing well.  Coach Paridean has done a great job with their program.  In spite of how some fans may feel, I don't see this as the "Greene County Title Game".  Its really just another game on the schedule.  Last year in the regional was more like a county title game.   That game actually meant something.  Harrell's website predicts a 42 - 28 Miner win.  While I never predict scores, I do feel the competition the Miners have faced has prepared them to win this game.  Given that the T'Birds SOS is 310, it is understandable they are playing so well.  Hamilton is a good athlete for them and they have a couple of good capable running backs.  However, the Miners have already faced some really good offenses in Southridge, Sullivan, Monrovia, and Ritter.  Eastern may very well make this the closest score ever in this series, but I don't think they have quite enough to win the game.  Best of luck and good health!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, itiswhatitis said:

Well here we are in week 8 and this will be the 18th meeting between these 2 schools.  This series started in 2003.  They have played every season in week one UNTIL 2015 when the game was moved to week 8.  Linton has won every game in the previous 17 meetings (14 regular season games and 3 tournament games).  The closest score was in 2008, 34 - 16.  Other than that, most of the scores have been rather one sided.  It has been mentioned that playing this game later in the season might make a difference in the score.  2015 - Linton wins 69 - 7.  Last year - Linton wins 49 - 0 during the season and then 56 - 7 in the regional.  Last year was the best team that the T'Birds have ever had in their history.  They finished the season 10 -3, and won their first ever sectional championship.  Now this year they sit at 7 - 0 and are riding high.  I am happy to see they are doing well.  Coach Paridean has done a great job with their program.  In spite of how some fans may feel, I don't see this as the "Greene County Title Game".  Its really just another game on the schedule.  Last year in the regional was more like a county title game.   That game actually meant something.  Harrell's website predicts a 42 - 28 Miner win.  While I never predict scores, I do feel the competition the Miners have faced has prepared them to win this game.  Given that the T'Birds SOS is 310, it is understandable they are playing so well.  Hamilton is a good athlete for them and they have a couple of good capable running backs.  However, the Miners have already faced some really good offenses in Southridge, Sullivan, Monrovia, and Ritter.  Eastern may very well make this the closest score ever in this series, but I don't think they have quite enough to win the game.  Best of luck and good health!

 

Miners pick their score here. Even worse than last week. We didnt come to play first half vs NK. No comments required.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eastern comes into the game the highest scoring offense in class 1A at 55 points per game. They beat North Davies worse than Linton did and both teams beat North Knox by the same score. Looking at Eastern’s schedule, they have the old Linton schedule where they beat up on smalls schools (Sorry, had to throw that in there lol). The only game worth noting is they hammered a 5-2 Mitchel team 48-18. That’s impressive for them and surprising blowout. The one game that stands out to me is the Springs Valley game where they let them score 44 points… That’s a concern for their defense but they tightened up after that.

Linton is rated 72 overall and Eastern 125 overall by Sagarin.

Linton comes in the game after a two week hiatus and much needed break from big games. We see the Miners with 7 solid teams on their schedule this year and that is why they should beat Eastern. Southridge 6-1, Sullivan 6-1, Ritter 6-1, North Vermillion 5-2, and Monrovia 3-4 have all prepared the Miners.

POSTSEASON: I’ve got Eastern winning their sectional and winning regionals. IF Lutheran can get upset before semi-state, Eastern has a decent shot at making it to state! Yeah, I know that’s a long shot, but it’s not that crazy.

If Linton can get a good draw and get some big games at home look for them to win sectionals and regionals. Their regional is weaker than their sectional. Although, I would love to see Linton at Mater Dei in the Reitz bowl for the sectional championship.

Both teams have a chance to make post season runs here and this game will get both teams ready.

Let’s not forget Eastern just started their program 17 years ago while Linton has been playing for what? 105 years? Eastern needs a win over Linton to be a turning point for their program.

I can see Linton just hammering Eastern 65-27. But I can also see Eastern winning a mild shootout 44-42.

Is Keaton Cox back already? I haven’t followed…

My scores

IF Cox plays- Linton wins 48-36.

IF Cox does not play- Eastern 44-38.

And this is the Greene County Championship....Because it's the only time they'll meet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, navy80 said:

Eastern comes into the game the highest scoring offense in class 1A at 55 points per game. They beat North Davies worse than Linton did and both teams beat North Knox by the same score. Looking at Eastern’s schedule, they have the old Linton schedule where they beat up on smalls schools (Sorry, had to throw that in there lol). The only game worth noting is they hammered a 5-2 Mitchel team 48-18. That’s impressive for them and surprising blowout. The one game that stands out to me is the Springs Valley game where they let them score 44 points… That’s a concern for their defense but they tightened up after that.

Linton is rated 72 overall and Eastern 125 overall by Sagarin.

Linton comes in the game after a two week hiatus and much needed break from big games. We see the Miners with 7 solid teams on their schedule this year and that is why they should beat Eastern. Southridge 6-1, Sullivan 6-1, Ritter 6-1, North Vermillion 5-2, and Monrovia 3-4 have all prepared the Miners.

POSTSEASON: I’ve got Eastern winning their sectional and winning regionals. IF Lutheran can get upset before semi-state, Eastern has a decent shot at making it to state! Yeah, I know that’s a long shot, but it’s not that crazy.

If Linton can get a good draw and get some big games at home look for them to win sectionals and regionals. Their regional is weaker than their sectional. Although, I would love to see Linton at Mater Dei in the Reitz bowl for the sectional championship.

Both teams have a chance to make post season runs here and this game will get both teams ready.

Let’s not forget Eastern just started their program 17 years ago while Linton has been playing for what? 105 years? Eastern needs a win over Linton to be a turning point for their program.

I can see Linton just hammering Eastern 65-27. But I can also see Eastern winning a mild shootout 44-42.

Is Keaton Cox back already? I haven’t followed…

My scores

IF Cox plays- Linton wins 48-36.

IF Cox does not play- Eastern 44-38.

And this is the Greene County Championship....Because it's the only time they'll meet.

Cox is still out with a shoulder injury.  Dyer and Ward have been playing quarterback.  Even with Cox on the sidelines, the Miners offense will still be too much for Eastern to handle.  As you said, "you don't follow".  If these two teams plan to always play, I'd hope they design a traveling trophy and THEN it would be a county championship.  Until that happens, it's just week 8.  Besides, it's kinda hard to call it a championship when one team has won every game.  I think it's great that Eastern is having success now.  However, they still aren't on the same level as Linton.  Not yet anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went to Eastern at Edinburgh last night, Hamilton wasn't dressed.  Anyone know if he'll be back for this game?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, itiswhatitis said:

Cox is still out with a shoulder injury.  Dyer and Ward have been playing quarterback.  Even with Cox on the sidelines, the Miners offense will still be too much for Eastern to handle.  As you said, "you don't follow".  If these two teams plan to always play, I'd hope they design a traveling trophy and THEN it would be a county championship.  Until that happens, it's just week 8.  Besides, it's kinda hard to call it a championship when one team has won every game.  I think it's great that Eastern is having success now.  However, they still aren't on the same level as Linton.  Not yet anyway.

You're reading into it too much lol. There are two teams in Greene county. They play Friday. Therefore the winner is the unofficial Greene county champion. I like the idea of the traveling trophy. They should create it and back date it to the first time these two teams played.

Prior to eastern, has there ever been another football team in Greene county, besides Linton?

 

is Hamilton is out, then linton wins no doubt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Cox is still out with a shoulder injury.  Dyer and Ward have been playing quarterback.  Even with Cox on the sidelines, the Miners offense will still be too much for Eastern to handle.  As you said, "you don't follow".  If these two teams plan to always play, I'd hope they design a traveling trophy and THEN it would be a county championship.  Until that happens, it's just week 8.  Besides, it's kinda hard to call it a championship when one team has won every game.  I think it's great that Eastern is having success now.  However, they still aren't on the same level as Linton.  Not yet anyway.

What's your source for cox being out.  A little early in the week for absolutes like that.

 

nevermind, should have scrolled down and read a little more, it doesn't sound like it's a sure thing either way.  Would be great to have cox back a couple weeks before sectionals.  Even being out 2-3 weeks can take a game or two to shake the cobwebs and get back up to 100% game speed.

Edited by puff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm...this one is interesting. I want to believe that EG is even better than a year ago. I guess what I don't understand is why they weakened their schedule. Last year they had LCC and 3A Mt. Vernon from the Big 8. I would think they would've added to that rather than make it softer. It's just really hard to gauge them based on who they've played. Outside of Mitchell, I don't see anything that's even close to a quality win. North Daviess, Wood Memorial, Edinburgh have a combined 1-17 record.

With that said, I think EG will get multiple scores on Linton. You generally don't shut out teams who average 55 pts a game. It's not gonna be enough though. They've not seen any team close to the caliber of Linton...I'll take the Minors by 3 scores. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, navy80 said:

You're reading into it too much lol. There are two teams in Greene county. They play Friday. Therefore the winner is the unofficial Greene county champion. I like the idea of the traveling trophy. They should create it and back date it to the first time these two teams played.

Prior to eastern, has there ever been another football team in Greene county, besides Linton?

 

is Hamilton is out, then linton wins no doubt. 

 I made this suggestion a couple of years ago and people said it was a silly idea.  Whatever.  There are several teams around the state with a traveling trophy.  I think they don't have one due to Eastern Greene being such a young program (less than 20 years), it is uncertain if they will continue to play in the future, and since Linton has gone independent, they want to beef up the schedule a bit more (according to the A.D.).  I could see Linton eventually dropping most (if not all) of the 1A teams on their schedule.  Again, that is pretty much the feeling I got from a conversation with the A.D.  I'm not trying to start any rumors.  I'm surprised there has never been a traveling trophy between Linton and Sullivan.  You'd think the second longest running game in the state would have one.  Bloomfield had a football team way back in the day.  I was told a kid was killed during a game so they decided to drop football.  Don't know how much truth there is to that but that is what I was told.  And WAY BACK in the day, Midland had a football team.  In fact, Linton has the state record for worst score in a game against Midland, 156 - 0.  I believe that was in the 1920's.  Oh and I believe Worthington had a team for a few years in the early 1900's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jasonville had a team in the teens and twenties also. There is a sign when you come into town from the west that says something like, this is the sight of the first football game under lights in Indiana.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, DuggerUnion said:

Jasonville had a team in the teens and twenties also. There is a sign when you come into town from the west that says something like, this is the sight of the first football game under lights in Indiana.

Good catch.  How could I have forgotten about that one especially with the sign?  I've heard the story that cars were lined up on both sides of the field with the headlights turned on and that is what they used to light the field.

18 hours ago, RocksFan23 said:

Went to Eastern at Edinburgh last night, Hamilton wasn't dressed.  Anyone know if he'll be back for this game?

Sounds like fake news.  LOL

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jasonville had football until the mid 50's.  I've never heard The Midland Middies had football.  Worthington had football as did Bloomfield.  Depending on who you ask... All of them got rid of football because of a tragic death.  I know that isn't the case with Jasonville... I'm pretty sure it wasn't the case for Worthington either.  Bloomfield folks stand by the story, but I've yet to have anyone give me a name or a date for the tragic death.  Jasonville had a lesser coach.... Drop in wins.... Drop in numbers... End of program.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Greene County Coach said:

Jasonville had football until the mid 50's.  I've never heard The Midland Middies had football.  Worthington had football as did Bloomfield.  Depending on who you ask... All of them got rid of football because of a tragic death.  I know that isn't the case with Jasonville... I'm pretty sure it wasn't the case for Worthington either.  Bloomfield folks stand by the story, but I've yet to have anyone give me a name or a date for the tragic death.  Jasonville had a lesser coach.... Drop in wins.... Drop in numbers... End of program.  

Maybe after losing 156 - 0 they decided football wasn't for them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

 Bloomfield had a football team way back in the day.  I was told a kid was killed during a game so they decided to drop football.  Don't know how much truth there is to that but that is what I was told.  And WAY BACK in the day, Midland had a football team.  In fact, Linton has the state record for worst score in a game against Midland, 156 - 0.  I believe that was in the 1920's.  Oh and I believe Worthington had a team for a few years in the early 1900's.

 

True, Bloomfield used to play football.  I don't think they had a player killed but they did have one or more players hurt seriously in a game against Bloomington in 1940 (or close to that) which prompted them to give up football.  Jasonville had some powerhouse football teams in the 1920's and I think were mythical state champions in 1926.  They dropped football later and then started again about 1947 and quit in the early 60's.  I'm not sure how many times Linton played them but I watched Linton beat them 50 - 0 in 1951 in a rainy, muddy game at Jasonville.  Coach Williams wanted to postpone the game but Jasonville refused so Williams kept the starters in all the way.  I don't remember when Worthington gave it up but I did see Linton beat Worthington badly in 1942.  Linton picked them up late on the schedule because of an open date.  Worthington did win at least one Wabash Valley game that year because they had three points in the final WV point standings in which Linton won the title with 37 1 /2 points  The Midland score is true and I think that was in the early 20's.  Back when I was in school, I had a little booklet that had all of Linton's football scores.  Oh, how wish I still had that.  In the early days, they also beat Shelburn by some huge scores.  As far as football deaths in this area, aside from the tragic death of Sullivan's Adam Sajko in 1947, the only one I know of was Hubert Hudson of Linton in the mid 20's.  In Fairview Cemetery there is a gravestone carved in the shape of a large football with the words "His Choice" cast in the stone.  My dad, who knew him, said he was injured and died later from the injury. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Good catch.  How could I have forgotten about that one especially with the sign?  I've heard the story that cars were lined up on both sides of the field with the headlights turned on and that is what they used to light the field.

Sounds like fake news.  LOL

 

No, I think they actually had some sort of field lights.  And if the "fake news" comment was about Hamilton not playing in the Edinburgh game, it's true he did not play.  I don't know if he dressed or not.  The coach said he had a sore knee. I suspect he would have played if they would have needed him but there was no need against Edinburgh.  That may have been a bit of gamesmanship for Linton's benefit.  Won't work, though.  Linton will prepare for a healthy Hamilton.

 

 

Edited by kingtut

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kingtut said:

No, I think they actually had some sort of field lights.  And if the "fake news" comment was about Hamilton not playing in the Edinburgh game, it's true he did not play.  I don't know if he dressed or not.  The coach said he had a sore knee. I suspect he would have played if they would have needed him but there was no need against Edinburgh.  That may have been a bit of gamesmanship for Linton's benefit.  Won't work, though.  Linton will prepare for a healthy Hamilton.

 

 

Yeah the "fake news" comment was about Eastern Greene's qb.  It was meant in jest.  I already knew he didn't play when I  posted that comment.  I am really enjoying seeing Dyer at quarterback.  He gives the running game an element almost like Meurer did last year.  If he stays at qb when Cox comes back, then Cox could move to a wingback his more natural position.  I doubt Lannan will be back any time soon so having Cox in the backfield again would be a big boost for the Miners.  Howard put on quite a show in the third quarter last week.   It was almost like watching Mason run last year.  So now teams have another back to prepare for.  Also Ward has done a good job at qb as well.  Cox, Dyer, Ward.......who do you prepare for?

Edited by itiswhatitis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure Coach paridaen was giving Hamilton a week off to have him 100% against Linton... I'm sure had the TBirds had a game on their hands, he'd of been in there.. .but Edinburg at 0-6 and now 0-7....wasn't gonna be much of a test.  I'm sure he wanted to play though.. don't know any kid.. especially a senior who doesn't want to play....  And I could be wrong... he could have an injury..   It was good to see COx without the arm sling... I think it's still a 50/50 call... we want him 100% come sectional time... Sure..you want your best on the field in a big game like this... and I know the atmosphere will be again..off the hook at the thought of EG getting their first W ever against the Miners... It would indeed be nice to have our guys back in full force.. Cox, Lannan, Robertson...I'm sure Keaton wants to be in there... but it would be really terrible to lose him for the year if that shoulder isn't ready. 

I know Eastern hasn't really faced much this year... Mitchell is about it...    I know this much... we better come out intense..and we better be more physical than we've shown... I saw hints of it in the 2nd half lst week.... but seriously..that first quarter NK ran the ball down our throats... yes I don't think they could sustain and stop our offense...but had they gotten up 2 scores that early...it might have been a different game.  Eastern has turned the corner... they know how to win.. they've been winning now for 2-3 years... not against Linton.. but they have been putting big numbers and  I doubt will have any apprehension in facing the miners.  I also truly believe LInton plays to their competition.. with no disrespect intended.  You can talk to kids are you want..but they know they've beaten a team like a drum for many years...they simply don't get to the upper level of intensity until...well until they find themselves in a dogfight.  NK was just that sort of thing.  Lance Dyer truly came in and took that game over...and once Linton got up a few TD's... NK faded..and Linton totally took over.   Hamilton is quite the physical runner, and they have more than just Hamilton.  Kids are used to making the plays now.  The last c ouple Miner Tbird games have had huge hype..as I know this one will....I honestly thought both the prior games would be games.. would be battles... but the MIners had other ideas.  the '15 and '16 Miners were a special bunch... In all aspects they were solid..and we were fortunate to avoid that injury bug.  This year...I can safely say has been a work in progress all season long.  The coaches have done more coaching in these 7 games that they prolly have in 3-4 years combined!  These are good kids...coachable kids... but there have been issues and still are... But I tell the effort is there no doubt.  I'm sure they'll be sky high for this game... I'm sure they will be ready to hit.... I'm hoping to see that intensity from play 1... I 'm sure they are gonna be tired of hearing about Eastern by week's end...   I don't over look  them by any means.. I think they have turned the corner under Coach Paridaen...

To comment on the County thing.  I don't think, given the distance between the schools, that there is much genuine contact other than thru athletic events for the bulk of their young lives...  I don't know that Eastern kids hang out in Linton or cross paths such as the ND, Sullivan , and NK kids might.  Historically as we know... Linton has totally dominated this football series.. but at least these last couple years have had some build up and some 'talk'...  LInton has been the Greene County team for years...and I'm sure it's a big thing for Eastern to get that first win.  I  am equally sure these Miners take it seriously not to be that first team to lose to EG....  I actually thought there was some form of  trophy that existed for the winner of this game.. maybe not a trophy... maybe something ...maybe just a title.. don't know....  I think it's really a pride thing.. trophy or not...  

Edited by Miner Pride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have not seen Eastern play this year...however,  I believe this game will remain close  early and then Linton will begin to pull away in the second half. Linton-Stockton’s SOS will benefit them in this game while the “mistakes” that Eastern gets away with playing a very weak schedule they will not be able to get away with against Linton. They will get hit for 4 quarters. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kingtut said:

True, Bloomfield used to play football.  I don't think they had a player killed but they did have one or more players hurt seriously in a game against Bloomington in 1940 (or close to that) which prompted them to give up football.  Jasonville had some powerhouse football teams in the 1920's and I think were mythical state champions in 1926.  They dropped football later and then started again about 1947 and quit in the early 60's.  I'm not sure how many times Linton played them but I watched Linton beat them 50 - 0 in 1951 in a rainy, muddy game at Jasonville.  Coach Williams wanted to postpone the game but Jasonville refused so Williams kept the starters in all the way.  I don't remember when Worthington gave it up but I did see Linton beat Worthington badly in 1942.  Linton picked them up late on the schedule because of an open date.  Worthington did win at least one Wabash Valley game that year because they had three points in the final WV point standings in which Linton won the title with 37 1 /2 points  The Midland score is true and I think that was in the early 20's.  Back when I was in school, I had a little booklet that had all of Linton's football scores.  Oh, how wish I still had that.  In the early days, they also beat Shelburn by some huge scores.  As far as football deaths in this area, aside from the tragic death of Sullivan's Adam Sajko in 1947, the only one I know of was Hubert Hudson of Linton in the mid 20's.  In Fairview Cemetery there is a gravestone carved in the shape of a large football with the words "His Choice" cast in the stone.  My dad, who knew him, said he was injured and died later from the injury. 

I just talked to a former Jasonville player last weekend at Shakamak/Jasonville Homecoming about the 1951 game.  He went on and on about how good Linton was.  He also mentioned his coach wasn't too bright for forcing Linton to play.

Edited by Greene County Coach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

Yeah the "fake news" comment was about Eastern Greene's qb.  It was meant in jest.  I already knew he didn't play when I  posted that comment.  I am really enjoying seeing Dyer at quarterback.  He gives the running game an element almost like Meurer did last year.  If he stays at qb when Cox comes back, then Cox could move to a wingback his more natural position.  I doubt Lannan will be back any time soon so having Cox in the backfield again would be a big boost for the Miners.  Howard put on quite a show in the third quarter last week.   It was almost like watching Mason run last year.  So now teams have another back to prepare for.  Also Ward has done a good job at qb as well.  Cox, Dyer, Ward.......who do you prepare for?

Gotta disagree with your thoughts on moving cox to wingback.  At wingback cox will get 10 touches a game, maybe 15, but more than likely not.  At qb he will touch the ball every play.  Putting the ball in your best players hands maximizes opportunities, and lightning has a much higher chance of striking, I.e. Breakaway runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kingtut said:

  I don't know if he dressed or not.  

 

 

Hamilton is #35 correct? Not a Greene County person just went to watch the game to see what EG looked like, but he was standing on sideline in shorts.  Just confirming he was not dressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, puff said:

Gotta disagree with your thoughts on moving cox to wingback.  At wingback cox will get 10 touches a game, maybe 15, but more than likely not.  At qb he will touch the ball every play.  Putting the ball in your best players hands maximizes opportunities, and lightning has a much higher chance of striking, I.e. Breakaway runs.

That's fine.  I was going off what I have seen.  It seems (to me) that Dyer at quarterback is somewhat like watching Meurer last year.  Not saying Cox isn't as good, but it looks like Dyer is a wee bit quicker.  And I was thinking about how interchangeable those 2 (and Ward) could be at the qb position.  Again I will say, "who do you prepare for?"  I've also noticed they have been putting Ward at a receiver position lately as well.  Anyone of the three can pass.  Wonder if we'll see some "trick" play down the road? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it interesting that Harrell's website predicts the T'Birds will score 28 points on the Miners.  The Miners gave up 17 to Southridge, 28 to Sullivan, 15 to Monrivia, and 18 to North Vermillion.  Is the T'Bird offense as good as those 4 teams?  There is rain in the forecast for Friday.  Wonder what kind of shape the field is in at Eastern Greene?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also can't imagine anyone but Cox being at QB if he's back...but it sure makes you feel pretty good knowing you have Ward and Dyer who've stepped in an ran the show pretty well.  One issue could be that the injury involved his throwing shoulder... perhaps it's healed up.. but throwing could be a question after not throwing for a few weeks. Still. .he was quite the playmaker for us all year up to the injury.  WIth Cash Howard's performances at Wing a factor too.. because he's stepped up his play too.   A real shame for Lannan coming down with Mono... hoping he can be back soon as well on both sides of the ball.  Having Cox back on D at Fsafety would also be a welcome sight.. altho Dyer certainly filled that roll without much hitch... we didn't see much if anything from opponents in passing game in either last two games....I though House as a freshman has definitely shown he's gonna be a player for Linton...  but having Dyer on coverage and Cox in run support and centerfield is pretty sweet. I, for one... if Keaton is out there... won't feel too good until I see the first hit and know that Keaton is OK.    Now I am not gonna lie.... Ward at QB,  Cox and Dyer at Wings does have a certain holy crap vibe to it LOL!   I just don't see it...

Edited by Miner Pride

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.