• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/20/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired  James Broyles Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Jeremy Reynolds Hired Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired Indianapolis Washington :  ?    Steve Moorman Hired Indianapolis Attucks: ?   Ibrahim Tawfeek Hired
Sign in to follow this  
kingtut

Sectional 48

Southridge just started playing Corydon this year.  Linton was already locked into playing Eastern Greene in week one.  Your statement makes it sound like Linton is trying to avoid playing Southridge.  

Having talked with the Southridge AD in the early spring of '14, that is exactly what happened...

I don't know the specific week that was open for both teams at the time, but the opening was there and Linton turned it down.

Having talked with the Southridge AD in the early spring of '14, that is exactly what happened...

I don't know the specific week that was open for both teams at the time, but the opening was there and Linton turned i

I replied to post #347.  That specifically said week one.  Again, Linton already had a commitment to play Eastern Greene THIS season in week one.  If it was another week besides week one, then that is totally different.  So if Linton had no choice about week one, I still maintain you don't say they turned them down.

I don't know the specific week that was open for both teams at the time, but the opening was there and Linton turned it down.

That is surprisng to me.. because Southridge has been a team brought up many times over post game firepits as a great opponent that is somewhat local... I can't imagine why we would not do it.  I mean..we have Speedway the next couple years....  Don't know the behind the scene story.  Vincennes Lincoln wanted Linton to play in the slot we had dropped Wood Memorial, and they had dropped TH South... but they only wanted 1 year.  I know that was the hang-up there.  Edgewood was on the fringe of the schedule for a itty bit as well.  \

I'm sorry. I misspoke....I meant to say before we were locked in to playing Clarksville, not Corydon. Both Linton and Southridge had week one openings, an email inquiring about possibly playing Linton was sent, and Linton turned down the request.

Southridge only started playing Clarksville in 2011 before that it was Sullivan.  Linton was in the Southwest 7 conference in 2007 and had been playing Eastern Greene since 2003.  Maybe it wasn't week one you are trying to talk about since Linton didn't have a week one opening in 2011 either.  Sorry not trying to be a butthead, just trying to figure out why Linton would say no.

I'm not sure exactly the time-line...I know it was here recently because I would of forgotten it if it was awhile ago!! lol. I'm pretty sure it was when Linton dropped out of their conference and Southridge had a week one opening, so we thought maybe you guys would have slots to fill. But alas you guys were locked in with someone.

Could be that Linton was working on the Speedway week 1 games..who knows...either way, it would be nice to have Southridge on the schedule again any week of the year!

I think we still had EG on the schedule in week one for the future altho the Tbirds wanted to move us later in the season. Course. we are playing a ton better in the latter half of the year that we were in the opening couple games... so that would not have helped them out.  But I know there was a period where several options were talked about... When Sheridan didn't want to renew the series... it left a spot to move EG.  I don't know where that timeline fell with the Southridge offer...  Speedway got in there pretty soon after.... I can't imagine the MIners not wanted a top notch opponent like Southridge on the schedule... I don't see us dropping the big rival games...NK ND Sull....but I'd think any other week could be replace-able if Southridge was open.

I think we still had EG on the schedule in week one for the future altho the Tbirds wanted to move us later in the season. Course. we are playing a ton better in the latter half of the year that we were in the opening couple games... so that would not have helped them out.  But I know there was a period where several options were talked about... When Sheridan didn't want to renew the series... it left a spot to move EG.  I don't know where that timeline fell with the Southridge offer...  Speedway got in there pretty soon after.... I can't imagine the MIners not wanted a top notch opponent like Southridge on the schedule... I don't see us dropping the big rival games...NK ND Sull....but I'd think any other week could be replace-able if Southridge was open.

I guess it would depend on what someone considers a rivalry.  When one team has won the majority of the games for several decades, how can that honestly be considered a rivalry game?  If you want to call it something else I guess that is okay.  Being close in proximity I guess counts for something but again, when those 2 teams are a combined 29 and 68 against one other team, it has all of the appearances that it's time to make some changes.  If Linton keeps a 1A type schedule I would like to see them play teams they may face in the semi-state.  They have always had sectional 48 covered and now are starting to play North Vermillion (a possible future regional opponent).  Isn't it time that Linton looked more forward and played teams outside of 48 and outside the area even if they are still 1A programs?  And yes teams have up and down years but still.......its a thought.

Before heading off into the regional talk... I wanted to be sure and send out a thanks to the seniors at North Knox..... They brought a lot of excitement to Warriors fans in their tenure.  best of luck in the future:

#5-Christopher Graman; #9 Mason Wampler; #12 Brett Ridgeway;  #21 Jayce Roderick; #24 Garrett Hedge; #32 Luke McKinnon; #34 Jordan Meurer; #36 Casey Moody; #50 Kayton Jones; #54 Josh Rooksberry; #55 Noah Miller; #56 Mark Martin; #61 Wyant Held & #67 Zach Dillon.

Some notes:

Graman---  Threw for over 2500 yards in 2 years.. 170 of 371  25 TDs 10 Picks.

Meurer--- Over 3,200 yards rushing in career. 2,166 this year, 811 last year.  42 rushing TDs for NK  Caught 17 passes for 143 and a TD.  Also 110+ tackles on defense.

Ridgeway-- 930+ yards receiving on 46 catches and 8 TDs in 3 varsity years. 120+ tackles

Roderick--14 catches in 2 varsity years  354 yards 4 TD; 75+ tackles

Moody--- had 340+ yards rushing this year. 150 Tackles

McKinnon 150+ tackles

Martin-- over 100 tackles

Hedge-- 160 + tackles

Held-- over 60 tackles

Hope I'm not forgetting anyone...

Best of luck.

Mater Dei had to play two games against Evansville Memorial because of weird scheduling circumstances, and the Cats went to Indy Northwest for a one-year contract. Not sure if they've filled those openings already, but ...

A Mater Dei-Linton matchup would be great for both teams -- Mater Dei doesn't need to play a big school because it has to stay healthy for the SIAC meat grinder and Linton could certainly benefit from seeing a team of Mater Dei's caliber early in the season.

Make it happen!

Love this. Would also be for playing HH, Southridge, Jasper. Not all 3, but 1 of them would be an awesome upgrade. After a quick peek at their schedules it seems the only way to schedule Jasper, SR, or HH would have to be week 1. Pretty sure we've locked Speedway in for a couple years in that spot.

Back to your suggestion Mater Dei..seems tailor made. I agree make it happen.

Edited by hick

Again I will ask, "Why would Mater Dei want to play 1A Linton?  Have you seen Mater Dei's schedule?  It is all 3A, 4A, and 5A schools.  There isn't even one 2A school on it!  Think about it, how would this be beneficial at ALL to Mater Dei to play a 1A school?  I think it's safe to say this will NEVER happen.  

Edited by itiswhatitis

Cant fathom mater dei would even speculate about a 1A team on their schedule.  Same with Jasper... can't imagine that would ever be an option.  I would be more interested in opponents along the line of Southridge, Paoli,  Vincennes, Monrovia, South Put, maybe another PAC team...Gibson Southern has been pretty solid...North Posey... 

Did you read what HHP wrote? He's saying that schedule chalk full of 3A-5A is exactly why. They could use a game against a lower enrollment school. If for nothing else, to mend some wounds.

Of course I read what he wrote.  And then I went to check Mater Dei's schedule.  A Mater Dei/Linton matchup is nothing but a pipe dream for some fans.  In reality, it won't happen.  If some day in the future it DOES happen (even after I die) I'll come back and eat my words.  LOL  Besides, I would think they would play a 2A school way  before a 1A.  It would be of no benefit whatsoever to Mater Dei, healing wounds or no healing wounds to play the likes of a Linton.  Do I think it would be great for Linton?  Perhaps.

Edited by itiswhatitis

Of course I read what he wrote. And then I went to check Mater Dei's schedule. A Mater Dei/Linton matchup is nothing but a pipe dream for some fans. In reality, it won't happen. If some day in the future it DOES happen (even after I die) I'll come back and eat my words. LOL Besides, I would think they would play a 2A school way before a 1A. It would be of no benefit whatsoever to Mater Dei, healing wounds or no healing wounds to play the likes of a Linton. Do I think it would be great for Linton? Perhaps.

With that logic, why would ritter entertain a linton matchup? They and EMD are chasing the same goal. I could be wrong, but I wldnt write off EMD. They played Sullivan for years. Linton would present a better matchup than those Sullivan teams did. We'll just have to see what happens.

Cant fathom mater dei would even speculate about a 1A team on their schedule. Same with Jasper... can't imagine that would ever be an option. I would be more interested in opponents along the line of Southridge, Paoli, Vincennes, Monrovia, South Put, maybe another PAC team...Gibson Southern has been pretty solid...North Posey...

How about a Linton vs Casey Westfield match-up?? Now that is a game I would love to watch!

Edited by DuggerUnion

Cant fathom mater dei would even speculate about a 1A team on their schedule.  Same with Jasper... can't imagine that would ever be an option.  I would be more interested in opponents along the line of Southridge, Paoli,  Vincennes, Monrovia, South Put, maybe another PAC team...Gibson Southern has been pretty solid...North Posey... 

Why is a 2A team playing a 1A power such a stretch? I have no doubt that Linton would beat Indy Northwest, which was on MD's schedule this season.

Undefeated seasons are few and far between when you play in the SIAC. I think playing a smaller school makes a lot more sense than scheduling a big Indy Catholic school or bigger school.

Would Linton step up to the plate, though? I think most years, Mater Dei is 7-13 points better than Linton -- especially early in the season. Maybe one out of five years, Linton could pull the upset. Even if Linton beat Mater Dei, it's going to be in a year where Linton is one of the two or three top teams in Class 1A. I don't think it would be "embarrassing" for Mater Dei to lose to Linton in those cases.

Why is a 2A team playing a 1A power such a stretch? I have no doubt that Linton would beat Indy Northwest, which was on MD's schedule this season.

Undefeated seasons are few and far between when you play in the SIAC. I think playing a smaller school makes a lot more sense than scheduling a big Indy Catholic school or bigger school.

Would Linton step up to the plate, though? I think most years, Mater Dei is 7-13 points better than Linton -- especially early in the season. Maybe one out of five years, Linton could pull the upset. Even if Linton beat Mater Dei, it's going to be in a year where Linton is one of the two or three top teams in Class 1A. I don't think it would be "embarrassing" for Mater Dei to lose to Linton in those cases.

Why would a 2A POWER play a 1A team?  Linton is a really good program year after year but they shouldn't be considered a power until they win a couple of titles or at least play for them.  Mater Dei is in the conversation practically every year in 2A.  It doesn't matter if that 5A team isn't a good program and you believe Linton would beat them, it is still a 5A team and not a 1A on MD's schedule.  And besides, it was mentioned that MD could use a game where they could heal.  It sounds as though they already have one with that 5A team.  I stated in an earlier post that Linton is no SIAC team.  I still haven't heard any sensible reason why MD would even entertain the thought of putting Linton on their schedule.  It would benefit Linton tremendously, but really do nothing for MD.

Why would a 2A POWER play a 1A team?  Linton is a really good program year after year but they shouldn't be considered a power until they win a couple of titles or at least play for them.  Mater Dei is in the conversation practically every year in 2A.  It doesn't matter if that 5A team isn't a good program and you believe Linton would beat them, it is still a 5A team and not a 1A on MD's schedule.  And besides, it was mentioned that MD could use a game where they could heal.  It sounds as though they already have one with that 5A team.  I stated in an earlier post that Linton is no SIAC team.  I still haven't heard any sensible reason why MD would even entertain the thought of putting Linton on their schedule.  It would benefit Linton tremendously, but really do nothing for MD.

Perhaps their coaches feel that, generally, Linton runs a style of offense or defense that EMD typically doesn't see until the later stages of the playoffs. It makes more sense to play a team who runs that system weekly than your scout team running it.  It seems it would be mutually beneficial to both.

There are no qualifiers in Indiana. A school doesn't get knocked for playing a lower class school.

With this logic, how would Linton ever get a schedule of anything but 1As?

I could see this happening, we have already played each other once of twice. Back in our 2a days, plus, we now have a meeting on the hardwood this season. So, to say it will never happen, is a stretch. I see it as feasible.

MD would have roughly 80 less miles to travel and a more competitive game, they blanked Indy NW 61-0....that's sensible enough for me.

I believe someone said the Indy northwest contract was a one year deal because of a schedule problem and that's also why they played memorial twice..but why would mater dei want to play a 1a school and win by 20,30 or even more when they are doing that to 3,4, and 5a schools with more depth an talent than a good 1a team

• Upvote 1

I believe someone said the Indy northwest contract was a one year deal because of a schedule problem and that's also why they played memorial twice..but why would mater dei want to play a 1a school and win by 20,30 or even more when they are doing that to 3,4, and 5a schools with more depth an talent than a good 1a team

Exactly.  This type of game has no benefit at all for MD.  I'm hearing opinions of what certain fans would like to see happen, but I've yet to hear an actual reason as to why it would be good for MD.  Just because it's an 80 mile shorter trip than going to Indy has no bearing on the contest and just because there is no qualifier makes no difference either.  Mater Dei is a state power in 2A.  Linton is just a good program in 1A.  So Mater Dei drops a 5A school they beat up to beat up a 1A school even more?  That just makes no sense.  And playing each other in another sport has no bearing either.  A LOT of schools do that.  Personally, I'd love to see Linton play MD.  I just can't see any valid reason why they would.