Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Wilson Footballs and Wilson Prep Kit

Punttheball

Question

This past Friday, we were told by an officiating crew that our balls were illegal.  We used the recommended Wilson Ball Prep Kit on our Wilson footballs.  The crew said that this was not legal.  Wilson balls are good balls if you can use this kit to preserve and condition the leather.  If not used, they become very slick and useless.  Why is a manufacturer telling us to use a product to improve the condition of the leather and prolong the life of the ball, but officials are telling us we can't.  Any help would be appreciated.  The crew was very sure of themselves in their conviction of the rule.  We have used this method for a while with our footballs and this is the first time it was an issue.  The balls were still used as the official checked them in and did not say anything until afterwards.  They were very reasonable guys and did an excellent job during the game.

prep kit.jpeg

Edited by Punttheball

19 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Punttheball said:

This past Friday, we were told by an officiating crew that our balls were illegal.  We used the recommended Wilson Ball Prep Kit on our Wilson footballs.  The crew said that this was not legal.  Wilson balls are good balls if you can use this kit to preserve and condition the leather.  If not used, they become very slick and useless.  Why is a manufacturer telling us to use a product to improve the condition of the leather and prolong the life of the ball, but officials are telling us we can't.  Any help would be appreciated.  The crew was very sure of themselves in their conviction of the rule.  We have used this method for a while with our footballs and this is the first time it was an issue.  The balls were still used as the official checked them in and did not say anything until afterwards.  They were very reasonable guys and did an excellent job during the game.

prep kit.jpeg

we use the same thing...and no one has ever said anything...hmmm

27 minutes ago, NorthKnox94 said:

we use the same thing...and no one has ever said anything...hmmm

I have a question about the use of the product. Is it applied when you take the ball out of the box? Is it applied periodically, on some sort of a schedule, e.g., before and after the season, or is it used before each game?

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I have a question about the use of the product. Is it applied when you take the ball out of the box? Is it applied periodically, on some sort of a schedule, e.g., before and after the season, or is it used before each game?

We apply it straight from the box and then before each game.  We have 5 balls we set aside as game balls for the year.  If we use this product on the balls, they will stay good for two years.  If we didn't they would not make half a season before they are slick and very difficult to use.  They become kicking balls.

1 minute ago, Punttheball said:

We apply it straight from the box and then before each game.  We have 5 balls we set aside as game balls for the year.  If we use this product on the balls, they will stay good for two years.  If we didn't they would not make half a season before they are slick and very difficult to use.  They become kicking balls.

Here’s the Rule:

“Illegal equipment shall always include but is not limited to:

“2. Slippery or sticky substance of a foreign nature on equipment, towel, uniform, opponent or on an exposed part of the body which affects the ball or an opponent.”

I have never heard an official interpretation of this situation. But for me, a leather treatment that is recommended and provided by the manufacturer is not “foreign.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Here’s the Rule:

“Illegal equipment shall always include but is not limited to:

“2. Slippery or sticky substance of a foreign nature on equipment, towel, uniform, opponent or on an exposed part of the body which affects the ball or an opponent.”

I have never heard an official interpretation of this situation. But for me, a leather treatment that is recommended and provided by the manufacturer is not “foreign.”

I agree.  How does this get across to all officials or is the rule an interpretation?  Foreign would be a spray glue or something like it to increase the grip.  This is a Wilson product as you said.  

I agree.  How does this get across to all officials or is the rule an interpretation?  Foreign would be a spray glue or something like it to increase the grip.  This is a Wilson product as you said.  

I played QB a million years ago. There was a product called Tuf Skin which was sprayed on your ankles before they were taped. It was incredibly sticky. I had that stuff all over my hands all game.

I don’t get the sense that this is much of a problem. Never heard of it happening before. It would be especially ironic, in that Wilson’s agreement with the IHSAA requires the use of Wilson footballs throughout the tournament.

7 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I played QB a million years ago. There was a product called Tuf Skin which was sprayed on your ankles before they were taped. It was incredibly sticky. I had that stuff all over my hands all game.

I don’t get the sense that this is much of a problem. Never heard of it happening before. It would be especially ironic, in that Wilson’s agreement with the IHSAA requires the use of Wilson footballs throughout the tournament.

This crew was pretty sure they were right and I was wrong.  I was told several times that they were state championship officials.  As a coach, I cannot win that argument.  They let us use them because they checked them in and then brought it up.  Otherwise we were going to need to use another set of balls.  Just seems like there needs to be some kind of a clarification.

This crew was pretty sure they were right and I was wrong.  I was told several times that they were state championship officials.  As a coach, I cannot win that argument.  They let us use them because they checked them in and then brought it up.  Otherwise we were going to need to use another set of balls.  Just seems like there needs to be some kind of a clarification.

I suggest you communicate your concern to IHSAA Asst. Commissioner Robert Faulkens. He’s the one who decides whether an official interpretation needs to go out to the officials.

44 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Sure.  He is very approachable I hear.

I think the only thing I would notice is if is extra tacky. The last item applied in the video was some kind of tacky spray. Did you possibly have too much of that on it, and it appeared to be some kind of foreign substance.

As a reminder there is no such thing as a kicking ball in NFHS football. A ball you want to use for kickoffs should be willing to be used by your QB as well. He may end up with that ball in the course of a series. Teams will often try to indicate a certain ball is their kicking ball, but it's really just an approved ball they prefer to use for kicking plays if they have the ability to rotate it in. But never go to an official and say "this is our kicking ball." There are approved balls and unapproved balls.

7 minutes ago, JustRules said:

I think the only thing I would notice is if is extra tacky. The last item applied in the video was some kind of tacky spray. Did you possibly have too much of that on it, and it appeared to be some kind of foreign substance.

As a reminder there is no such thing as a kicking ball in NFHS football. A ball you want to use for kickoffs should be willing to be used by your QB as well. He may end up with that ball in the course of a series. Teams will often try to indicate a certain ball is their kicking ball, but it's really just an approved ball they prefer to use for kicking plays if they have the ability to rotate it in. But never go to an official and say "this is our kicking ball." There are approved balls and unapproved balls.

I was talking about a practice kicking ball.  Gesh!!

And we don't even use the spray.  Just the wax stick and brush.

Edited by Punttheball
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

every week to condition the ball...but, a lot of the times...The balls are so slick when they come out of the box...

44 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

2) Is the GID where coaches and officials are now getting interpretations?

In some cases it works that way. But be aware of the difference between an official IHSAA interpretation, and anyone else’s interpretation of a rule. If I am passing on an official interpretation from the IHSAA, it’s going to very clearly say that, and its distribution is cleared in advance at 9150 N. Meridian. If it doesn’t say that, then it’s an opinion.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

One observation and one question:

1) Wilson GST balls suck, prove me wrong. When they’re dry they’re slick and when they get wet, often times just sweat from ball carriers, they’re slimy. 

Absolutely agree on point one.  The prep kit makes them much better to use.  The Nike ball is superior and cheaper.

23 hours ago, Bobref said:

Spray that stuff on hands, arms, jersey, helmet, pants ... anything on a receiver that might directly or indirect come in contact with a ball.  Also worked well to bring down wasps and on fire ant piles too.

3 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

One observation and one question:

1) Wilson GST balls suck, prove me wrong. When they’re dry they’re slick and when they get wet, often times just sweat from ball carriers, they’re slimy. 

Not a big fan of the GSTs either.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

I certainly appears that way. I don't think the IHSAA is distributing information very well just from what we've seen just this week.