Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Anything here?

Dirty D

Question

4 answers to this question

Lots of judgement involved in this play and a fuzzy video from a bad angle.

I can't tell exactly where the ball is snapped but based on the near wide out I'm going to say it's probably about the B9. The first thing to look at is the contact between the slot receiver and DB. The first question is that contact is in the neutral zone or close? If it it's in the neutral zone it's legal regardless of who initiated contact. If it's beyond and you determine the defense initiated it, then there is no foul. But in this situations the receivers are always suspect because the receiver is trying to create separation however subtly. And especially in this case it's obvious that's what he would want to do because they throw to the back who receives the pass in the area this defender may have covered. The ball appears to be caught near the B8 which is about a yard beyond the assumed LOS. Only the LJ is going to be able to rule on that.

Since the B threw a flag I assume he felt the receiver initiated the contact downfield and the pass was caught beyond the LOS. He would need help from the LJ who should provide information on the location of the block (if he saw it) and definitely on the location of the pass in regards to the LOS. This is where the other part of your comment becomes relevant. The fact he came on to the field and was not on the goal line when the runner got close to hit hurts his credibility. It's very likely he didn't notice where the pass was caught and where the block took place.

OPI is definitely a supportable call based on the information provided, but as I said there are several combinations of judgement here. Ultimately that is what the officials are paid to do and they applied that judgement here. It's not an absolutely right or wrong call. He has to make the best call based on what he sees and the information provided by others.

• Like 4

I agree with everything JustRules said - one exception.  It looked like the slot receiver pulled the DB away from the ball.  Holding is never legal in any zone - but then the question has to be asked:  was it enough to have an effect the play?  From the B angle, I would have probably thrown the flag when I saw the DB's shoulders get turned as it cleared the way for the running back to catch the ball.  Either way - the LJ could offer input as to the area of the contact, but the B apparently was responsible for the inside receiver. 

It's close for 2 different fouls- but because it is close, I could support either OPI or Holding on the slot.  I could also support no OPI if the contact was in the NZ or no holding by virtue of the press coverage the DB was in. Could be argued that the DB initiated and engaged.  

Either way ...

"Ultimately that is what the officials are paid to do and they applied that judgement here. It's not an absolutely right or wrong call. He has to make the best call based on what he sees and the information provided by others."