• Announcements

• Coach Nowlin

HEAD COACH OPENING 2018   10/21/2017

CONFIRMED HEAD COACH CHANGES IN 2018 Lafayette Central Catholic;  Don Collier Brian Nay Hired Kankakee Valley:  Zack Prairie  Derek Thompson Hired Valparaiso:  Dave Coyle Steven Mueller Hired  Bill Marshall Promoted  Evansville North:  Brett Szabo Joey Paridaen Hired from Eastern Greene Hamilton Southeastern:  Scott May  Adam Morris Hired  Peru:  Bob Prescott Romison Saint-Louis Hired North Daviees:  Scott Helms  Trent Fine Hired Evansville Central:  Andy Owens Troy Burgess Hired River Forest: Austen Robison  Joe O'Connell Hired Shelbyville:  Pat Parks Mike Clevenger Hired from Clinton Prairie Rushville:  Scott McMurray Dan Rector Hired  Cathedral: Rick Strieff:  Bill Peebles Hired from Lawrence Central  South Spencer:  Tom Packer John Edge Hired  Bishop Dwenger:  Chris Svarczkopf  Jason Garrett Promoted  Maconaquah: Mark Hartman  Austin Colby Hired  Anderson High School:  Robert Brown Ron Quals Hired  Highland:  Trent Grinder Pete Koulianos Hired from Hanover Central  Southern Wells:  Steve Yencer Greg Mose Hired   Warsaw:  Phil Jenson  Bart Curtis Hired From Mishawaka Lawrence Central:  Bill Peebles John Rodenberg Hired  Eastern Hancock:  Jim O'hara Doug Armstrong Hired Tri-Central:  George Gilbert  Shane Arnold Promoted Franklin County:  Kirk Kennedy  Wes Gillman Hired Hobart:  Ryan Turley  Craig Osika Promoted Anderson Prep Academy Randy Albano  Michael Torgerson Hired Clarksville:  Joby Turner Justin Boser Hired  New Haven  Jim Rowland  Jimmy Linn Promoted  S.B. Clay:  Will Porter Garrett Fields Hired Mt. Vernon (Fortville) Neil Kazmierczak Mike Kirschner Hired Central Noble  Greg Moe  Trevor Tipton Promoted  Clinton Prairie:  Mike Clevenger  Raymond Jones Hired From Fountain Central Ben Davis:  Mike Kirschner Jason Simmons Hired from Noblesville  Parke Heritage :  ????    Brian Moore Hired Mishawaka Marian:  Reggie Glon  Michael Davidson Promoted Hamilton Heights:  Mitch Street  Jon Kirschner Promoted  Knightstown:  Kevin Miller Chad Montgomery Hired Richmond: Ibrahim Tawfeek Tony Lewis Hired Eastern Greene: Joey Paridaen Travis Wray Promoted  Mishawaka: Bart Curtis Keith Kinder Promoted Kokomo:  Brett Colby Richard Benberry Jr. Promoted  Hanover Central:  Pete Koulianos Brian Parker Hired  Oldenburg Academy:  Kevin Ferneding Eric Feller Hired Fountain Central: Raymond Jones  Ryan Hall Hired  Elwood:  Joe Kwisz Chuck Foga Hired Noblesville:  Jason Simmons Justin Roden Hired from East Central  Jeffersonville:  Alfonzo Browning Brian Glesing Hired from Floyd Central Wabash:  Floyd McWhirt  Adam Handley Hired Fairfield:  Bob Miller Matt Thacker Hired East Central:  Justin Roden Don Stonefield (Interim )  Munster:  Leroy Marsh  Jason Grunewald promoted Floyd Central:  Brian Glesing  James Bragg Hired Tell City:  Josh Teague Aaron Clements Hired Pike Central:  Erik Mattingly Dave Stephens Hired Crawford County:  Kevin Mills Northwestern Steve Dibler  Patrick Rosner hired  Gary West:  Jason Johnson Collin McCullough Hired

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iaaufa

Indiana AAU Football Association

Hello Coaches

My name is Rufus Sanders I am the newly appointed Director of AAU Football for the state of Indiana. Through my years of coaching I have noticed that middle school football in not enough for what we need to make better varsity football programs. If you want more Information please email me at iaaufa2014@gmail.com. I feel that this is a good remedy for our situation. I am open to more thoughts, I want this to be just what we all need in order to make football in our great state much better.

PS I am looking for Freshman, JV, and Middle school coaches to run these teams.

Also we are not trying to eliminate Middle School Ball just trying to enhance it.

Would these teams be extensions of the school teams where each school would have a "second season" team?  If the numbers aren't there to support that do you have area or city teams?

Would these teams be extensions of the school teams where each school would have a "second season" team?  If the numbers aren't there to support that do you have area or city teams?

IHSAA has rules for participating in sports out of season, during the school year (or calendar from the beginning of official practices for the new school year). They limit the number of teammates that can participate on the same team. I do not think they have numbers for football as there has yet to be an actual club season for it.

How do we have AAU basketball teams with HS kids making up the rosters?  My assumption was that these teams would be considered rec teams which are not subject to IHSAA rules...right?

How do we have AAU basketball teams with HS kids making up the rosters?  My assumption was that these teams would be considered rec teams which are not subject to IHSAA rules...right?

In the leagues themselves....keep in mind there is a difference between a Summer league and a league competing while school is going on. The IHSAA cannot dictate what the AAU and other groups do, but they can control what athletes who want to compete for their schools can do. As far as during the school year, if the sports season has officially started, a student is not allowed to play on a team outside the IHSAA for that sport. It will take a bit of time, but as I said, the number of teammates on a team is restricted by the IHSAA as well. They also tell IHSAA coaches that they are not allowed to coach their teams outside the IHSAA season, Summer or otherwise.

edit: There is a limit for football. No more than 6 players can be from the same school team.

I will post the restrictions the IHSAA has in the by laws in a bit; unless someone beats me to it.

It all falls under Rule 15: Participation in the IHSAA Bylaws

Guest bugbacks 1992

I need more info the aau football....please contact me at shawnsmih317@gmail.com, i look forward to hearing from you..

I spoke to Rufus yesterday, he is meeting today with IHSAA officials to discuss several issues including the school-mate per team limit.  Rufus would prefer to see kids from the same school stay together but I think we can all see how that will end.  He said if the teams are limited to 6 school-mates per AAU team, the goal would be to field a team/teams that allow all the kids to play.  It sounds like it would play out like this;  Area (city/conference/county) players and coaches need to be notified of the opportunity to get people to go to a call-out meeting where Rufus could answer questions and numbers (players and coaches) can be gauged.  There will be a limit of 35 players per team, with the goal of 1-way starters on each side of the ball that would play 4-6 games against other teams form the state with a goal of sending one team to the National Tournament in Florida (tbd whether that is the State champ or a state selection team).  AAu provides the equipment.  Obviously a lot of kids would be out with other sports but this is an opportunity for kids who don't play other sports to keep playing football.

I can see several pros and cons:

pro- football activity during the winter for those kids who don't play winter sports.

con- wear and tear on young bodies

pro- more practice opportunities for kids to continue learning

con- most of the time tournament teams are weak in fundamental teaching with a focus on winning

pro- good experience for kids to play with other local kids and build area camaraderie

con- complete dependence on coaches that you may not know/trust/etc. 

You could argue that you're better off keeping your kids together for winter workouts without the risk of injury but you also can't simulate real speed game experience that could be gained from continued play.

Chime in with your thoughts...

The IHSAA only governs high school.  Middle schools are not part of the IHSAA. Team mate restrictions would only come into play with high school kids. 

The IHSAA only governs high school.  Middle schools are not part of the IHSAA. Team mate restrictions would only come into play with high school kids. 

At this time they do not....look for that to change in the near future. The Statehouse may even be involved in expanding the reach of the IHSAA.

My own opinion waivers back and forth. I can easily see, with the current path of education, that schools may begin defunding athletics and club and AAU teams will be the prominent teams. I am not a fan of that, but I can see a benefit from the extra time kids get playing the game. VIP did a great job weighing the pros and cons. If I were cornered to make a decision, I would not be in favor of seeing AAU football going forward. The issues that I have seen with AAU basketball could easily apply to football. More coaches pushing kids to "specialize" in one sport and avoid other sports. The real "recruiting" for basketball occurs during the club season; with players and coaches convincing teammates to attend the same school to be a on the same team. There are too many kids who will not be able to participate because of obstacles in place that the schools can make up for to a large extent; transportation and cost just to name a couple of things.

The upsides are big as well. There are many urban schools that do not have a program in place now, and this would allow  many of them to play. That to me is a huge factor. The more kids we get playing, the better the sport will be.

Yes, I am aware I waivered back and forth on this.

As far as the IHSAA changing the number of teammates rule, the original intent, imho, was for 7 on 7 teams. I do not see the number changing much anytime soon. If they allow more than 11, then the argument from other sports is that this sport allows a school to field a starter in every position, then they should too. I think limiting the number as is will keep one coach from getting a roster dominated by his players (which would allow him to implement a feeder high school's offense and defense), and force him to change some things knowing kids are going to various programs.

The rigors of football, mentally and physically, makes it hard to play for multiple teams at the same time.  Also, the physicality of the game, especially as the players get older, makes it difficult to play multiple games in a day or a weekend.  I'm not sure high school players need another team.  There are schools that do not field teams that would place AAU football to benefit players.

Good luck to you but I can't say I support the idea for our kids.  Our youth program is a varsity developmental program.  I don't want our kids participating in a program that would be counter-prodiuctive toward that goal.  I also believe that the young bodies need rest.  The season is long enough as is.  Lastly it seems to be an opportunity to recruit.  How do you address that aspect?

I know CG is a scheme heavy league and it adds to the success of the entire program (K-12) But I still believe that teaching blocking, running, tackling, passing, and catching (which you guys do) is the real root of the success.  Quality coaches at a young age is critical.  It is not the plays, it is the skill development.  The community support is a big factor as well.  Football is a way of life in Bargersville.  That is the reason for the success.