Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2A Regional: Mater Dei @ Triton Central

MD will be making the 3 hr bus ride north to visit TC next weekend.  The last time MD came calling back in 2019, TC was not all that hospitable, handing the Wildcats a big "L".   If I recall, there was a bit of gamesmanship last time with MD asking to play on Saturday and TC responding with an 11 am start time.  Such a thing might be used as a little motivation this week. 

Stay tuned, we'll see...

40 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

If anyone learns the day & time of this game, pls post.  Assume it will be another Saturday game, considering the 3 hour drive, but who knows.  

Haven’t seen anything but I’m guessing Saturday afternoon

EDIT: just saw the game is listed as 7:30 pm ET on Friday on John Harrell’s website 

Edited by TigerFan20

9 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Haven’t seen anything but I’m guessing Saturday afternoon

EDIT: just saw the game is listed as 7:30 pm ET on Friday on John Harrell’s website 

I noticed that but Harrell's is sometime off the mark.  Seems sort of a "Best Guess" effort on their part.  Fwiw, MaxPreps has it listed at 7 pm, Friday.  Who knows.

3 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

I noticed that but Harrell's is sometime off the mark.  Seems sort of a "Best Guess" effort on their part.  Fwiw, MaxPreps has it listed at 7 pm, Friday.  Who knows.

Our game time was immediately released after we won, so I don’t know if TC hasn’t decided yet, since Mater Dei can request the game to be on Saturday 

1 hour ago, MDAlum82 said:

The game date/time is not set yet.  Still working on it.  That’s as of Saturday at 4pm. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BACKSIDEBELLY said:

I don’t know anything about either one of these schools.  What type of offense do they run? (Spread, option)

Mater Dei has a guy name Mike Goebels that coaches football. Haha..but they have been passing a lot more recently since Wunderlich has found his rhythm, but don’t count out their run game either.

• Thanks 1

All three times we played Mater Dei, the 2 times we played them at home, they asked for Saturday Games, we played once at like 3:30 PM and then the other at 7PM,  the time we played them at the Reitz Bowl, we chose Friday Night. They won the 330PM game on Saturday, we won the other 2. Great games, great fans, they travelled really well.

Weird indeed?? 

To my understanding, the de facto start time is 7:00 PM est on Friday night if the 2 teams can’t come to an understanding?? 

This 6:30 start time would again imply a little “gamenship” on Triton Centrals part. 

I have no idea if that’s the case...but the 11 AM Saturday a couple years ago would fit with this narrative. 

Personally, I’m always a little disappointed when the hosting team tries to play “hardball” on postseason times. You’re just on the good side of the draw,

19 minutes ago, jets said:

Personally, I’m always a little disappointed when the hosting team tries to play “hardball” on postseason times. You’re just on the good side of the draw,

I had a feeling MD would pick Friday to avoid an early Saturday time. MD may have wanted an earlier start Friday so they can get home before 2am. 

26 minutes ago, jets said:

Weird indeed?? 

To my understanding, the de facto start time is 7:00 PM est on Friday night if the 2 teams can’t come to an understanding?? 

This 6:30 start time would again imply a little “gamenship” on Triton Centrals part. 

I have no idea if that’s the case...but the 11 AM Saturday a couple years ago would fit with this narrative. 

Yea, I just don’t understand that time at or what the overall plan was. Wonder if TC or MD was being difficult 

4 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Yea, I just don’t understand that time at or what the overall plan was. Wonder if TC or MD was being difficult 

Might depend on your point of view and definition of "being difficult"; - )   History suggests Goebel prefers to play on Friday nights whenever possible so the team's weekly schedule is consistent.  However, any time there has been a long drive involved, Monrovia, Lawrenceburg, and 2019 at TC, he has typically gone with a Saturday game. 

I understand the way this works is visiting team choses the day and home team, the time.  Back in  2019 when MD chose to play on Saturday, TC responded with an 11 am start time.  This put MD on the bus around 5:30 am with a plan to arrive an hour early and also take an hour break along the way for food and short workout.  However, there were some traffic issues and MD arrived about 30 mins late and never seemed to "get off the bus".  MD seems to want to avoid any chance of repeat performance.

Sitting is classes is not all the different from sitting on a bus so aside from the half-day of school missed, they should be fine.  Several members of the coaching staff are MD teachers as well so they might find a clever way to do some  readin' & (w)ritin', while ridin' on the bus...  No way to know what all went on here but at least we know the day & time at this point.  5:30 CST will make it difficult for some MD fans, especially those with kids in grade school, to get to TC in time for kick-off so hopefully this game will be streamed.  Good luck to both teams & may all fans travel safely.  

• Thanks 1

This is where I wish the IHSAA would step in and apply a little more control.  

Here is straight from the Illinois (IHSA) website:

The game must be played on Saturday, unless both schools agree to play the game on Friday. Friday games must not be scheduled during school hours. Saturday games must start between 1 pm and 7 pm. The schools must agree on the starting time of the game. If they cannot come to an agreement, the IHSA Office will set the starting time.

A majority of first and second round games in Illinois are still played Friday night.  But it allows East St. Louis to drive to Chicago for a first round game (happened in 2018).  Indiana is slightly at a disadvantage because of the ridiculous Eastern Time Zone issue, so call it 1:30 - 7:30 ET Saturday unless both schools want to switch to Friday.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MDAlum82 said:

Might depend on your point of view and definition of "being difficult"; - )   History suggests Goebel prefers to play on Friday nights whenever possible so the team's weekly schedule is consistent

Thanks, I was just thinking traveling issues and all, since TC is 3 hours away. If Coach wants to play on Friday, he’s going to play on Friday. Good luck in regionals!

12 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

If I recall, Triton Central had a big girls basketball game already scheduled for Saturday night, thus the reason for the noon kickoff a few years ago.

I don't think an early season girls BB game should trump a regional championship football game.  If nothing else, the football game could have been scheduled in the afternoon and Triton fans could have made it a double header with the girls BB game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2