Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

3A State Championship Game Gibson Southern vs Brebeuf Jesuit

I have been waiting to do a comparison between this years GS team and previous GS teams.  I compiled the stats from the 2013 team that ended up losing to Brebeuf at Semi State, the 2015 team that lost to Chatard at Semi State and this years team 

THINGS TO NOTE

1) Defensive TDs/Special Teams TDs I couldn’t find for 2013

2) The Sagarin ratings at the bottom are the FINAL rankings for 2013 and 2015, while the 2021 team is not the final rankings just yet. It’s only 1 week but worth noting 

3) all 3 teams were 13-1 at this point, this years team obviously the only one to advance….but otherwise the stats should be comparable since it’s 3 13-1 teams. 

4) Passing stats are the starting QB only not the backups.  Rushing stats include the backups because I’m not going to figure out which carries were running clock carries by the backups. 

CA5E77E6-8F32-4296-8993-D479C61DABDA.thumb.jpeg.fa16a03b4ea600cb4bb1d1c501a3db00.jpeg

There is a lot to pick apart here, but I would firmly put this years team as the best.  And while some of the stats for the 2015 teams might say they did better in a few cases, the 2021 team makes up for it in their SoS compared to previous years.  This SoS doesn’t even include Kentucky 5A South Warren who is ranked #2 in 5A, #7 Overall, and playing in the 5A Semi State this next week.

That’s my two cents though and here are the stats for those wondering 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Thanks 1

I hope GS brings this back south.  They will be the first public school since we won state in 2000 to bring this south of Indy.  20 years, since a  public wins south of Indy....seriously guys....WIN.

I won't speculate on a score, but I think Brefeuf MUST score at least 30 to even have a shot.  GS will surely score a minimum of 35 points.  

I don't say it often but GO TITANS!  Regardless, great season.

Edited by HHPatriots
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I have no idea what to think about this game.  I just think this is the best GS team we have had and I think they have a chance.  Can’t wait to be there Friday.  I’ve been visiting Indiana for 5+ years around thanksgiving hoping for this 

I've only seen a handful of games this year, but from what I've seen, I would agree 100% that 2021 GS is better than 2013 and 2015. Those early teams had a few great players. This team has a lot of great players. 

13 minutes ago, tango said:

I've only seen a handful of games this year, but from what I've seen, I would agree 100% that 2021 GS is better than 2013 and 2015. Those early teams had a few great players. This team has a lot of great players. 

The 2013 and 2015 teams were pretty identical in terms of names on the roster.  I’m still amazed that the 2013 team did what it did despite starting so many sophomores.  It’s what helped make the 2015 team what it was.  

by the time 2015 rolled around there were like four 4 year starters and around 10 or so 3 year starters.

Also it’s still kinda funny to me that Nick Sellers (the QB from 2013-2015) was our starting long snapper as a freshman.  He went from long snapper as a freshman to QB who went 36-4….and his 2015 season was crazy 

73% completion 3300 yards 40TDs

AND 700 yards rushing + 19 TDs.  

next year I think GS will get back to running the ball with the QB more and our current backup looks like he will thrive at the varsity level 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

I hope GS brings this back south.  They will be the first public school since we won state in 2000 to bring this south of Indy.  20 years, since a  public wins south of Indy....seriously guys....WIN.

I won't speculate on a score, but I think Brefeuf MUST score at least 30 to even have a shot.  GS will surely score a minimum of 35 points.  

Ummm...Reitz?  Or are you referring to 3A only?

18 minutes ago, HHPatriots said:

yes, 3A only.  I should edit, but for some reason, it won't let me.

Tri-West would like a word with you.

I mean, I get that "public school champs" want to hang a banner every year, but no need to overlook accomplishments by West Lafayette, Bellmont, and Tri-West.  

Saw BJ up close in regional and watched Marion game on a sloppy field.  Watched the GS semi state game.  I’m of the opinion that this will be a close game.  The BJ D line is legit.  Allen will have to get rid of the ball quick.  Don’t think he will be able to scramble for 10 seconds behind the line for someone to get open like he did in SS game.  Very impressed with GS receivers… also have some very good defensive players that bring the wood.  BJ battled back vs Marion.  I got BJ in this one by a late FG 38-35

In all seriousness, I think this one will be close and could go either way. I could see it being the best game of the weekend. I do think BJ will have to score quite a bit to win, probably over 30. I don't think they get away with scoring 17 points and winning in this one considering how good the GS offense has been. However, the GS defense has been lights out in the playoffs, except for a short stretch against Lburg when they fought back. BJ will absolutely have to get pressure on Allen. I thought Lburg and TW made adjustments and had a solid gameplan to get pressure on Allen but it just was not enough. Allen has the ability to escape pressure and pick up a few yards or throw it downfield. But if BJ can force Allen into quick and poor decisions, their chance of victory improves greatly. I just don't see it happening much. Lburg was huge up front and got plenty of pressure on Allen but it still wasn't enough. I think this is the year we will remember the Titans. 

46 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Tri-West would like a word with you.

I mean, I get that "public school champs" want to hang a banner every year, but no need to overlook accomplishments by West Lafayette, Bellmont, and Tri-West.  

I said "south of Indy".  I'm not overlooking them.  Great wins and great programs.

11 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

This game kinda feels similar to the West Lafayette Vs Evansville Memorial game we got a few years ago…which that was an instant classic where no team deserved to lose 

Congrats Sir!  2017 probably helped ease the pain of losing in 2018. But all you can do is ask your kids to leave it all on the field and both teams did that night. 
I think GS ability to run the ball and throw the ball will be the difference.  Usually teams can take away one or the other and have an advantage. Just not many weaknesses if any with GS offense. And unlike the past couple of years I think the GS defense is capable of controlling the game. 

Hope the Tigers can get back to 3A soon. Nothing better than driving down Coal Mine road on a Friday night in late October.  

Edited by Screagle

17 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Will the level of competition played by Brebeuf be an advantage?

Yes, top to bottom, BJ does have the SOS advantage. However, there is a reason GS added Columbus North, New Albany, and South Warren (KY) to their schedule. CN and NA are no slouches for their class, and GS easily won those games. South Warren is a juggernaut of a team currently making a deep playoff run in KY and it was probably a good thing that GS got a taste of getting their butts beat in that one. They are battle ready. This game will come down to the trenches and who turns it over less.

Edited by Football Fanatic
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Football Fanatic said:

Yes, top to bottom, BJ does have the SOS advantage. However, there is a reason GS added Columbus North, New Albany, and South Warren (KY) to their schedule. CN and NA are no slouches for their class, and GS easily won those games. South Warren is a juggernaut of a team currently making a deep playoff run in KY and it was probably a good thing that GS got a taste of getting their butts beat in that one. They are battle ready. This game will come down to the trenches and who turns it over less.

Adding them certainly narrowed the gap.  Sagarin has Brebeuf at the 43rd overall toughest schedule and Gibson Southern at 62nd.  

there is just no way to match having to face Cathedral, Chatard, and Roncalli for a team like GS. But at least this year, GS isn’t at a disadvantage because of their schedule.  That’s been the knock in the past but not anymore haha 

6 hours ago, HHPatriots said:

35?  I think you are vastly under estimating the Brebeuf defense.

They haven’t seen anything like Allen but GS hasn’t seen anything like Brebeuf’s defense (not knowing much about South Warren admittedly).

Brebeuf’s D held opponents not named Cathedral to nearly two TD’s per game fewer than their season average if my math is correct.

GS will score but I’d be shocked if they got 35.